Sochi Olympic: Russia Wins Most Golds and Most Medals.

• 75 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17497 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

So this "weighted" system seriously only gives a shit about gold?

This system be stupid as fuck. Germany should not be at #3....

The IOC counts medals via gold medals. At the end of the games the team with the most gold medals will be recognized as the winner by the International Olympic Committee. There is really no realistically perfect way to keep track of medals and each country does it their own way really. In the U.S. we simply look at total count. Some countries use a weighted system and other look at only golds like the IOC. No way is really any better than the others I'm just giving the official IOC counts.

The only gold thing is just flat out dumb and it cannot be argued to be better than looking at LEAST at total medal count. You are freaking ignoring two-thirds of all the medals given essentially with this method and that is just stupid. Silver and bronze should be recognized as more than simple tie-breakers....

This method has left Germany in 3rd literally just because a single medal was gold instead of silver. Suddenly the 7 medals (including a far superior silver count) Russia has over Germany don't mean jack because God forbid Germany got 1 gold medal more...

A 3-2-1 point system is a MUCH better idea. That way golds mean something, but not everything and it makes it so total medal count actually matters as well.

#52 Edited by thegerg (15441 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

The IOC counts medals via gold medals. At the end of the games the team with the most gold medals will be recognized as the winner by the International Olympic Committee. There is really no realistically perfect way to keep track of medals and each country does it their own way really. In the U.S. we simply look at total count. Some countries use a weighted system and other look at only golds like the IOC. No way is really any better than the others I'm just giving the official IOC counts.

How is looking at total medal count not better than looking at gold only? I mean, the way IOC does it makes Germany look elite when it's not.

"How is looking at total medal count not better than looking at gold only?"

Because the idea of a "better" way to count is subjective.

#53 Posted by blaznwiipspman1 (6047 posts) -

canada vs usa game was kinda meh, USA didn't try hard enough and canada stopped trying after the first goal. Pathetic showing from team USA. Oh well, good game, best of luck next olympics.

#54 Posted by ferrari2001 (16970 posts) -

Medal Count 2/21/2014. It looks like it may come down to wire in this race. With the United States loss to Canada today their chance of a gold in hockey is unobtainable. It looks like Canada will be picking up another gold, sweeping both men and women's hockey. The U.S. however continues to lead total medal count, can they nab the gold and capture both the IOC and local counts, that will be the difficult task.

#55 Posted by The-Apostle (12190 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@The-Apostle said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

How is looking at total medal count not better than looking at gold only? I mean, the way IOC does it makes Germany look elite when it's not.

No it's not. Looking at gold only is a terrible idea. Only an idiot would do it that way.

#56 Posted by thegerg (15441 posts) -

@The-Apostle said:

@thegerg said:

@The-Apostle said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

No it's not. Looking at gold only is a terrible idea. Only an idiot would do it that way.

No one is looking at gold only.

#57 Posted by ferrari2001 (16970 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@The-Apostle said:

@thegerg said:

@The-Apostle said:
@ferrari2001 said:

@LostProphetFLCL said:

No one is looking at gold only.

The International Olympic Committee does, hence the reason both Google and the official Sochi website lists the team with the most gold as the medal leader.

#58 Edited by Insert-Coin (35 posts) -

http://cf.chucklesnetwork.com/items/9/5/7/0/6/original/silver-why-not-gold.jpg

Silver is just the start of the losers.

#59 Edited by thegerg (15441 posts) -

@ferrari2001: The IOC does look at those other medals, they use them to determine who places higher if there is a tie in golds.

#60 Posted by ferrari2001 (16970 posts) -

@thegerg said:

@ferrari2001: The IOC does look at those other medals, they use them to determine who places higher if there is a tie in golds.

That is true, although the other medals are only used in the case of a tie. For them it's gold that matter. Although the IOC does not choose a winner nor tell other countries how medals should be counted so each individual country is free to adopt a method of medal counting that makes their country seem more successful.

#61 Posted by deeliman (2443 posts) -

It's kind of stupid that there's no official way to count medals

#62 Posted by thegerg (15441 posts) -

@deeliman: What? There are official ways.

#63 Posted by deeliman (2443 posts) -

@thegerg Don't go full gerg please

#64 Posted by thegerg (15441 posts) -

@deeliman: Do the same.

#65 Posted by ferrari2001 (16970 posts) -

Medal Count: 2/22/2014.. With the U.S.'s embarrassing loss in hockey and it's poor showing in both speed skating and ice dancing they have really begun to drag behind in the medals. It's looking very unlikely that the United States will take either the most golds or the most total medals. Russia may take home both of those when all is said and done. Overall a fantastic games for both Russia and Norway.

#66 Posted by ferrari2001 (16970 posts) -

Here's the final medal count for the Sochi 2014 Winter Olympic Games. Russia put in a strong showing towards the end of the games and proudly as the host country can claim the winner in both the total counts and most gold medals, and Olympics high of 13. The United States comes in 2nd of total medals and 4th in Golds.

#67 Edited by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

Goddamit,the ending ceremony brought me to tears,esp. when it showed 1980 :'( ffs ,wtf :C

#68 Posted by ferrari2001 (16970 posts) -

@Ratchet_Fan8 said:

Goddamit,the ending ceremony brought me to tears,esp. when it showed 1980 :'( ffs ,wtf :C

I gotta say. The Giant animatronic/mascot animals are quite incredible. The tear now the bears face with the extinguishing of the torch was pretty amazing.

#69 Posted by Master_Live (14811 posts) -

I salute you Mother Russia:

#70 Edited by themajormayor (25847 posts) -

#71 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

Mostly because the speed skating teams laid a hot steamy pile.

#72 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9827 posts) -

@Master_Live said:

Russia pokes fun at Olympic ring mishap during Closing Ceremony

#73 Posted by shipster30 (16 posts) -

I'm happy that Canada won gold in both curling and hockey. Russia can have the figure skating gold. I'd rather have hockey gold. Also, I prefer the gold system compared to total medal count. The goal of the Olympics is to be the best. I don't care if your country won 20 bronze medals. The goal is to be #1 overall. If your country won more gold medals than anybody else, then your country flat out was the winner in more competitions compared to other countries. Also, some countries send a lot more athletes to these games compared to other countries. The chances are that the country that sends more athletes will be rewarded with more medals. But, if these medals are of a lesser value then it's not of much consequence. I like the true winners who are the best at the sports that they compete in. Congrats to Russia. They were the host nation and had the extra determination to perform well in front of their country.

#74 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3946 posts) -

that sucks. If the U.S. had beaten Russia, it would have created a good pro gay message.

#75 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (720 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

@thegerg said:

That is true, although the other medals are only used in the case of a tie. For them it's gold that matter. Although the IOC does not choose a winner nor tell other countries how medals should be counted so each individual country is free to adopt a method of medal counting that makes their country seem more successful.

That's pretty stupid imo. I'm guessing with most of the athletes if they make the podium they're happy. Winning any medal, not just gold has to be special as it would be to me.

Anyway the games were better than I expected this time & I watched a good bit. The closing was boss too.

#76 Posted by Ratchet_Fan8 (5550 posts) -

@themajormayor said:

rossiya moia <3

so was this better than Summer Limpics in London or Vancouver W.Limpics?