So why do people hate on How I Met Your Mother?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

Seriously, been watching through season 1 today and I am loving this show. The characters are just really likeable and I love this whole idea of the show being about a guys quest for love.

I am just left not understanding why some people HATE on this show. It's one thing to not like it, but I just don't see what is so wrong that someone would HATE on the show.

So yeah, what's the dealio here? What is so wrong with the show that people hate it?

#2 Posted by TwistedShade (3139 posts) -

I think it's just hip to hate anything CBS offers.

#3 Posted by TacticalDesire (10713 posts) -

I don't hate on it, but it gets pretty mediocre after awhile.  I'll watch it if nothing else is on, but an episode or two is plenty, and I wouldn't really say it's a good show.

#4 Posted by WolfattheDoor34 (3278 posts) -
Why I Met Your Mother is actually a much better title
#5 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

Why I Met Your Mother is actually a much better titleWolfattheDoor34

LMAO good catch! :lol:

Changing thread title now. Congrats on doing something good today! :P

#6 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3753 posts) -

what are you doing tommorow?

#7 Posted by Squeets (8184 posts) -

Because for many, they must belittle and degrade that which is not what they chose in order to fully enjoy their own choice.

Console fanboys for example.  When a PS3 fanboy trashes an Xbox360 or an Xbox360 fanboy trashes a PS3.  They do so to reinforce/add to justification for their purchase.

In the case of a television show, one purchases a show with their time and others do the same with other shows.  To justify their purchase (time spent) on their particular TV show they bash other shows and/or praise their own.

TL;DR - Haters Gonna Hate

#8 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

MakeMeaSammitch

Working. Been off today but you didn't get online you derp!

#9 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3753 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

LostProphetFLCL

at dels

#10 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Well it was fun for a while, but then they just stopped trying. They keep repeating jokes. Barney was funny but they focused on him way too much, "Suit up!" Is just annoying now. And Ted gets pretty annoying too. At least the characters call him out for his crap though. Oh and laugh track.

Also I don't like Jason Segel. He just annoys me for some reason.

#11 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

MakeMeaSammitch

at dels

Fail.

#12 Posted by lo_Pine (5048 posts) -
It is just an instrument of the gay agenda. That's why.
#13 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -
I found the show to be pretty good for a for recent sitcom. But as with many shows that have gone on this long, it is definitely passed it's peak.
#14 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

I found the show to be pretty good for a for recent sitcom. But as with many shows that have gone on this long, it is definitely passed it's peak.dagreenfish

I'm curious, what would you say is the shows peak? So far I am still in the first season and I think episode 13 was my fav so far.

#15 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3753 posts) -

season 4ish

#16 Posted by LordQuorthon (5264 posts) -

Because sitcoms must be filmed with one camera that shakes around all the time to please the Internet. Also, laugh tracks and/or live audiences are, apparently, some kind of abomination. 

#17 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]I found the show to be pretty good for a for recent sitcom. But as with many shows that have gone on this long, it is definitely passed it's peak.LostProphetFLCL

I'm curious, what would you say is the shows peak? So far I am still in the first season and I think episode 13 was my fav so far.

Around season 3-5. It's the point in a lot of shows where the formula begins to get a little stale and when running jokes begin to become indoctrinated humor.
#18 Posted by SilentFireX (1951 posts) -
I'm a fan, but I must admit.... the show has gotten a bit stale and drawn-out.
#19 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"]I found the show to be pretty good for a for recent sitcom. But as with many shows that have gone on this long, it is definitely passed it's peak.dagreenfish

Around season 3-5. It's the point in a lot of shows where the formula begins to get a little stale and when running jokes begin to become indoctrinated humor.

So can I expect more episodes on par with the amazing 13th episode then? That was seriously such a beautiful episode!

This show has honestly churned out some of the most beautiful and poignant romance moments so far with a certain someone, :P

#20 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Because sitcoms must be filmed with one camera that shakes around all the time to please the Internet. Also, laugh tracks and/or live audiences are, apparently, some kind of abomination. 

LordQuorthon

All shows with laugh tracks/audiences aren't bad. Look at Seinfeld. 

#21 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (3753 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"][QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

LostProphetFLCL

So can I expect more episodes on par with the amazing 13th episode then? That was seriously such a beautiful episode!

This show has honestly churned out some of the most beautiful and poignant romance moments so far with a certain someone, :P

yes

#22 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="dagreenfish"] Around season 3-5. It's the point in a lot of shows where the formula begins to get a little stale and when running jokes begin to become indoctrinated humor.MakeMeaSammitch

yes

Good to know! Nice having a 3rd show to watch beyond Walking Dead and Archer.

#23 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

LostProphetFLCL

yes

How about Breaking Bad or Mad Men? Both are on AMC and way beter than The Walking Dead.

#24 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17081 posts) -

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]yes

cain006

How about Breaking Bad or Mad Men? Both are on AMC and way beter than The Walking Dead.

At some point I will try and get into Breaking Bad. Don't really have interest in Mad Men though....

#25 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5055 posts) -
I don't hate it. But it isn't as funny as some try to make it out to be.
#26 Posted by Optical_Order (5100 posts) -

It's a very average show imo. 

#27 Posted by xdude85 (4330 posts) -
Maybe it's because the show sucks.
#28 Posted by Lonelynight (30039 posts) -
It gets boring.
#29 Posted by SoNin360 (5280 posts) -
I've only watched it a little bit, but I can tell it's a decent show. I've really liked some episodes like the one where Barney is on the Price is Right. But it's not something I think I'll really get into, especially this late into the series. I didn't like it at first, but I gave it a chance. One show I really can't stand is The Big Bang Theory. Bleh, screw that show.
#30 Posted by Morello964 (140 posts) -

I've only watched it a little bit, but I can tell it's a decent show. I've really liked some episodes like the one where Barney is on the Price is Right. But it's not something I think I'll really get into, especially this late into the series. I didn't like it at first, but I gave it a chance. One show I really can't stand is The Big Bang Theory. Bleh, screw that show.SoNin360

Yeah I echo that completely. The Big Bang Theory just tries too hard to be nerd-humor like a lot of other stuff. It recycles cliches from the 80's that weren't funny then and especially aren't now. Some people just don't see through things like others I guess due to lack of exposure or personal differences.

And How I Met Your Mother would hold up better if it was only 3-4 seasons at most. There's just not enough substance to it after that and the writers don't get to actually conclude and make you reflect. The heartfelt moments run out after awhile and you can tell the writers get tired of setting up jokes all the time but still need a job.

#31 Posted by Guybrush_3 (8308 posts) -

The show kind of dipped in quality in seasons 4 and 5 but it's picked back up so I'm back to loving it.

#32 Posted by punkpunker (3320 posts) -

it was stretched too long, it had good premise but after 3 season i questioned myself when is ted going to meet his wife. but thank god that the next season is the last.

#33 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

I just don't like it. The more I watch it the more it seems like a man that's desperately trying to make his kids think he was cool and interesting.

Isn't it a somewhat popular show, why do people even like it is a mystery to me.

#34 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
The show sucks.....
#35 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

It's easy to be pretentious on the internet, and not everyone will like the same thing.

As a fan of the show, the quality has really dipped this season.

#36 Posted by LeBump (88 posts) -

I love the show, but next season should definetly end it. The show is getting a bit stale.

#37 Posted by drinkerofjuice (3164 posts) -
Solid show at first, but it has been going on for far too long. At least a few seasons too long. Part of me wants it to end with a dumb twist where Ted dies, and it turns out that Bob Saget is the kids' stepfather. Ted should just die for being an insufferable douche. And another thing: Who takes YEARS to tell a story about how you met a person? I feel that the creators didn't think out their own premise well enough.
#38 Posted by themajormayor (25677 posts) -
It's horriffick to say the least. A tired concept, horrible characters, really terrible actors, lame old jokes we heard so many times to the extreme; a womanizing bachelor who hates marriage and relationship?? Seriously? One of the most old and tired stereotypes there is. And he is the best character (and actor) of the bunch.
#39 Posted by osirisx3 (1743 posts) -

its to touchy feely men dont act like that

#40 Posted by beez_wax (13 posts) -

The show kind of dipped in quality in seasons 4 and 5 but it's picked back up so I'm back to loving it.

Guybrush_3
^this. I thought it was mediocre at best during seasons 4 and 5 (and some of 6 really), but the writers seem to have a bit of their mojo back. I'm actually liking it as much now as I did through the first several seasons.
#41 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7953 posts) -
It's just like other American Sitcoms that's why for me. I don't hate it I just don't care for it.
#42 Posted by Riverwolf007 (23435 posts) -

because the stupid poorly written shallow ass shows i like are better than the stupid poorly written shallow ass shows you like.

#43 Posted by signzoe (50 posts) -

Because no one cares how your parents met ,plus isn't one of the leads gay?

#44 Posted by LordQuorthon (5264 posts) -

Because no one cares how your parents met ,plus isn't one of the leads gay?

signzoe

Quick! Call the pastor, I'll light up the torches! 

#45 Posted by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

because the stupid poorly written shallow ass shows i like are better than the stupid poorly written shallow ass shows you like.

Riverwolf007
This seems to about cover it.
#46 Posted by fueled-system (6249 posts) -
I don't find it funny, I just found it awkward and I hated the jokes.. I didn't like it when it first came on either.
#47 Posted by Ricardomz (2329 posts) -

Because it became popular and mainstream.

#48 Posted by Jazz_Fan (29516 posts) -
The first three seasons are nice; season four it starts sucking; gave up somewhere in like season 5.
#49 Posted by Obviously_Right (5091 posts) -

Because the protagonist is an absolute cvnt.

#50 Posted by Saturos3091 (14938 posts) -

The show and characters get old really fast. I watched 7-8 episodes and by the last one I was pretty sick of the shows redundant formula. It's not particularly funny, but it was mildly entertaining before it became predictable.