So what's the big deal about The Interview?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

My bad if this has already been discussed.

I've been seeing videos about Sony cancelling Seth Rogan's upcoming movie, The Interview which is a comedy about the assassination attempt of Kim Jong-un, which North Korea considers an act of war. A hacker group called GOP is threatening to bomb movie theatres who show the film on Christmas day. Apparently, Sony gave into the hacker groups threats and cancelled the movie.

I've seen many movies and tv shows where the president's life is on the line and it was never a big deal. Are people really that paranoid to give that much power to hacker threats?

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

I believe the major cinema companies themselves decided not to carry the movie then Sony decided not release it.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@HipHopBeats said:

I've seen many movies and tv shows where the president's life is on the line and it was never a big deal.

Have you seen one where an real life, contemporaneously living at the time of the movie release head of state is about to be assassinated?

@HipHopBeats said:
Are people really that paranoid to give that much power to hacker threats?

If by people you mean the theaters, then yes.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Master_Live

@Storm_Marine said:

I believe the major cinema companies themselves decided not to carry the movie then Sony decided not release it.

Understandably, but what about Sony having no plans to release it by VOD or DVD/Blu-ray.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 HipHopBeats

@Master_Live: Not that I can recall, but usually a fictitious president like in 24 or Air Force One. Still, if this was really the plan, why would anyone make a movie about it when most Americans don't even know who Kim Jong-un is? What's next? Comedians getting arrested for making jokes or dark humor about a sensitive issue?

Plus, the bigger issue is this fear factor element is affecting freedom of speech. Our rights to freely express ourselves are slowly being taken away.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Master_Live

@HipHopBeats said:

@Master_Live: Not that I can recall, but usually a fictitious president like in 24 or Air Force One. Still, if this was really the plan, why would anyone make a movie about it when most Americans don't even know who Kim Jong-un is?

Sure, but you ask why it is "big deal"? Well, apparently it is a big deal to the government of North Korea. I could see how they might get offended and be some kind of a deal for them.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@Master_Live: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_a_President_%282006_film%29

A lot of American politicians were pretty pissed off about it. American hypocrisy at its best.

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By HipHopBeats

@Master_Live So anything considered offensive to any one group of people should be taken down period? If that's the case, no form of entertainment, including books, movies, tv shows, video games, or music should exist, period.

Might as well usher in the new age Nazi movement and have military guard burn all forms of media in everyone's homes. Sounds far fetched right now, but eventually, that's where things are headed.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Master_Live

@Aljosa23 said:

A lot of American politicians were pretty pissed off about it. American hypocrisy at its best.

Sure, did the United States government or any proxy carry out any affirmative steps against those filmmakers, production company, distributors?

I don't begrudge anybody getting angry at a movie depicting your death/assassination.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Seth Rogen is in it. So it must be pretty boring

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Master_Live

@HipHopBeats said:

@Master_Live So anything considered offensive to any one group of people should be taken down period?

No. Never said or claimed that.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12  Edited By deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts
@Aljosa23 said:

Did anyone ask for it to be banned? Did the Bush Admin even comment on it?

I'd be pissed about it too, it looks like a shit movie, as does The Interview.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@themajormayor said:

Seth Rogen is in it. So it must be pretty awesome.

Indeed.

thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts

@HipHopBeats said:

@Master_Live: Not that I can recall, but usually a fictitious president like in 24 or Air Force One. Still, if this was really the plan, why would anyone make a movie about it when most Americans don't even know who Kim Jong-un is? What's next? Comedians getting arrested for making jokes or dark humor about a sensitive issue?

Plus, the bigger issue is this fear factor element is affecting freedom of speech. Our rights to freely express ourselves are slowly being taken away.

Wouldn't you be just a little pissed if a foreign nation produced a big budget comedy about a few journalist being recruited by a foreign secret service to assassinate your head of state? I wouldn't take too kindly to it.