• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12807 posts) -

Maybe I'm biased because a georgous girl named Shannon was my first crush way back in 4th grade, but I've always thought it was a feminine name. It wasn't until high school that I realized some guys have that name, too.

I'm not giving you a middle choice, you MUST choose sides.

#2 Posted by johnd13 (7920 posts) -

A girls name. I don' t think I' ve heard of any guy called Shannon.

#3 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -
Girls name for me, I've never know a male named Shannon
#4 Posted by br0kenrabbit (12807 posts) -

I've known three males with the name Shannon, but what got me going this morning was a friend arguing with me that Shannon is a male name, then he linked me here. So, I brought the argument to the good sages here on OT.

#5 Posted by -Fromage- (10515 posts) -
Its a girls name. Doesnt matter how it started out, over time it has become a girls name.
#6 Posted by indzman (16951 posts) -
#7 Posted by kittensRjerks (3802 posts) -

Girls name

#8 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -
#9 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
I've known guys named Stacy and Sasha, but never one named Shannon.
#10 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11278 posts) -
it's androgynous but i can't help but see it as very effeminate for the same reason as you TC
#11 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -

Shannon Sharpe

225px-Shannon_Sharpe_at_Super_Bowl_XLI_p

Shannon Brown

220px-Shannon_Brown_Naval_Medical_Center

Plus I know a dude name Shannon from up the street

#12 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11278 posts) -
shannon sharpe (former pro football player) is a male shannon come to think of it i don't recall ever actually meeting a male with the name
#13 Posted by Moobopper (56 posts) -
it's androgynous but i can't help but see it as very effeminate for the same reason as you TC22Toothpicks
You would not call the guys bucked20 listed effeminate to their face, would you?
#14 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11278 posts) -

Shannon Sharpe

225px-Shannon_Sharpe_at_Super_Bowl_XLI_p

Shannon Brown

220px-Shannon_Brown_Naval_Medical_Center

Plus I know a dude name Shannon from up the street

Bucked20
beat me to it :x
#15 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11278 posts) -
[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]it's androgynous but i can't help but see it as very effeminate for the same reason as you TCMoobopper
You would not call the guys bucked20 listed effeminate to their face, would you?

wtf is this troll-douche night on OT? i never said males with the name are effeminate but merely the name itself. you're dumb.
#16 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

I usually think of Shannon and Ashley as both being girl names. Taylor on the other hand I'm not quite sure if it's a male or female name, I think it's the person who sews up your clothes.

#17 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

[QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]it's androgynous but i can't help but see it as very effeminate for the same reason as you TCMoobopper

nope. Shannon Sharpe'll bust yo' ass!

#18 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Definitely a girls name. Also the name of a river in Ireland I believe. I have a girl cousin named Shannon :P.

#19 Posted by cell_dweller (19842 posts) -
I've never heard of any dude being named Shannon...
#20 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I knew a girl name Shannon, i really don't think she was a guy, she went out with a guy called Landon, and apparently he accidentally came in her eye.

Girls name.

#21 Posted by jimkabrhel (15417 posts) -

I've had male and female friends named Shannon, but I've always felt it to be a feminine name.

Of course, I've seen females named James, so a lot of names are going both ways, I guess.

#22 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11278 posts) -

I knew a girl name Shannon, i really don't think she was a guy, she went out with a guy called Landon, and apparently he accidentally came in her eye.

Girls name.

Ilovegames1992
:lol: nice little story there
#23 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

Girls name.

Ilovegames1992

Is that a true story, or a silly rhyme you (or someone else) made up?

#24 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -
A tranny. Take that you middle choice preventing person you.
#25 Posted by Moobopper (56 posts) -
[QUOTE="Moobopper"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"]it's androgynous but i can't help but see it as very effeminate for the same reason as you TC22Toothpicks

wtf is this troll-douche night on OT? i never said males with the name are effeminate but merely the name itself. you're dumb.

Well would you tell them that to their face? They are both successful individuals who probably would not lay their hands on you but I am pretty sure you would be told off. So go ahead and mock their name behind your keyboard.
#26 Posted by Nengo_Flow (9376 posts) -
All the girls I met that were named Shannon were all really pale and below average looking
#27 Posted by 22Toothpicks (11278 posts) -
[QUOTE="Moobopper"][QUOTE="22Toothpicks"][QUOTE="Moobopper"] You would not call the guys bucked20 listed effeminate to their face, would you?

Well would you tell them that to their face? They are both successful individuals who probably would not lay their hands on you but I am pretty sure you would be told off. So go ahead and mock their name behind your keyboard.

uhh okay i will :lol:
#28 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

I've had male and female friends named Shannon, but I've always felt it to be a feminine name.

Of course, I've seen females named James, so a lot of names are going both ways, I guess.

jimkabrhel
What about Michael Learned? She has a guys name.
#30 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Girls name.

whipassmt

A silly rhyme, i've been Dr Seussing it all day. I think i have a knack for retarded poetry.

#31 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Definitely a girls name. Also the name of a river in Ireland I believe. I have a girl cousin named Shannon :P.

nooblet69
There is also a city and an airport with the name.
#32 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -
Dominique is the opposite,sounds manly but its also a unisex name,know a few girls with that name
#33 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

[QUOTE="jimkabrhel"]

WhiteKnight77

What about Michael Learned?

What did he learn?

She has a guys name. WhiteKnight77

oh, Michael Learned is a person's name.

#34 Posted by megagene (22986 posts) -
When I hear the name Shannon, I always think of Shannon Hoon, the sadly deceased male lead vocalist of Blind Melon. Which is kind of weird considering I have two female friends named Shannon in real life.
#35 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Girls name.

Ilovegames1992

A silly rhyme, i've been Dr Seussing it all day. I think i have a knack for retarded poetry.

And I have a knack for well-regarded poesy.

#36 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

Dominique is the opposite,sounds manly but its also a unisex name,know a few girls with that name Bucked20
I thought Dominique is a female name and Dominic is a male name.

Bucked is a female name right?

#37 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] Is that a true story, or a silly rhyme you (or someone else) made up?

whipassmt

As did Morrissey, and Tennessee, i guess we'll never be, as good as them. Well, maybe me.

#38 Posted by Bucked20 (6951 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Dominique is the opposite,sounds manly but its also a unisex name,know a few girls with that name whipassmt

No,I've seen males and females spell it as Dominique
#39 Posted by Celldrax (14551 posts) -

I've heard it enough for either side to say both.

So there :P

#40 Posted by SirWander (5176 posts) -

this is dammed irrelevant, especially when there are dudes named Tracy

#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (150066 posts) -
Both.....
#42 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Bucked20"]Dominique is the opposite,sounds manly but its also a unisex name,know a few girls with that name Bucked20

No,I've seen males and females spell it as Dominique

Oh. I don't really know what to say, but I want to acknowledge that I read your post.

#43 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

As did Morrissey, and Tennessee, i guess we'll never be, as good as them. Well, maybe me.

Maybe you, but 'tis I task that I surely can't do.

#44 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] And I have a knack for well-regarded poesy.

whipassmt

Ahh it seems it can be done by anyone, and i'll think you'll agree it's a lot of fun, although to keep this up is a bit of a strian, on my sleep deprived, fatigued, lazy brain, and i gather to others this a major annoyance, so i'll stop with my awesome wordplay flamboyance.

#45 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Ilovegames1992

Ahh it seems it can be done by anyone, and i'll think you'll agree it's a lot of fun, although to keep this up is a bit of a strian, on my sleep deprived, fatigued, lazy brain, and i gather to others this a major annoyance, so i'll stop with my awesome wordplay flamboyance.

Yes, yes indeed. We should stop doing this, because there is no need.

#46 Posted by XilePrincess (13116 posts) -
Girl's name. Even if you can use it for both, doesn't mean you need to. A lot of names that have been used for both genders suit one significantly better.
Dominique is the opposite,sounds manly but its also a unisex name,know a few girls with that name Bucked20
I knew a girl named that. I'd name a boy Dominic if I was going to go that way. The que sounds feminine.
#47 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

And I just found out today that my state senator, Dante Bartolomeo is a woman. I always thought Dante Bartolomeo was a guy, because I figured Dante is a guy's name.

#48 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

I thought Apple was the name of a gender neutral fruit.

Don't i feel the fuking dickhead.

#49 Posted by whipassmt (13960 posts) -

Ilovegames1992

why, did you hear or read of someone named Apple?

#50 Posted by Ilovegames1992 (14221 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Don't i feel the fuking dickhead.

whipassmt

why, did you hear or read of someone named Apple?

Gwyneth Paltrow named her kid Apple.

What a kunt rocket.