So I think I just figured something out.

#1 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

We identify with murderers.

Everyone, regardless of how well-adjusted they are, at some point in their lives, will fantasize about killing someone. It's a perfectly normal reaction to a stressful situation. Whether it's your dickhead of a boss, that jackass motorcyclist who thinks he owns the road, or that one special person who you can't even think of without visualizing them in an elaborate Saw-esque torture scene--though we may never act upon these thoughts (us being perfectly sane individuals who can supposedly control our own actions), we have them because they make us feel good in some way. Murderers simply acted on these thoughts. Though their actions are certainly inexcusable, we can at least understand them to some degree.

Now take child molesters.

We can't understand these people. Nobody in their right mind fantasizes about molesting a child, and most people who do hate themselves for it, let alone others. Put a child molester in a room full of murderers and pretty much everyone is going to agree that he is the most evil person in the room--sometimes this includes the molester himself. People who might be against the death penalty for murderers may have no problem publicly hanging a child molester (which goes back to what I said before about homicide fantasizing).

And then there are animal abusers.

You ever see those hippies who are all "peace" and "love" and "pot" and seem like pretty chill guys, and then they go all Super-PETA when they hear about an animal abuser? Tell them a kid got killed and they'll be all, "wow, that sucks," and then they'll move on; tell them about a puppy that got abused/killed and they'll come up with all sorts of elaborate punishments that they believe the abuser should be subjected to.

Again, it all comes down to understanding. We can't understand them because we can't understand their thinking; whether because they're afflicted with some disease or just sickos, us "normals" can't understand them because we can't think like them. We are completely incapable of understanding the mindset of an animal abuser, or a child molester, or a wife-beater. But we can to some degree understand the thought process of a murderer. And once we understand, we automatically empathize. That's why murderers don't seem to get as muck flak as child molesters or animal abusers, even inside prison.

None of this is to say that murders are justifiable, of course. Only that they are understandable.

I've been pondering this question for a long time. I'm also drunk, so I want to write this down for future review. I'm sure many are well and eager to elucidate the wrongness of my points, so have at thee.

So, what's OT having for breakfast tomorrow? I'm thinkin' Wheaties.

#2 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3775 posts) -

What did the rapist say to the pedophile?

You're sick

#3 Posted by Master_Live (14162 posts) -

Yeah, I must of us have reached the same conclusion, we ain't splitting the atom. And the fantasizing about killing someone with elaborate Saw-esque torture scenes, I do that every single day.

For breakfast tomorrow? Oatmeal.

#4 Posted by robokill (1064 posts) -

well the premise is blatantly untrue, not everyone fantasizes about killing people. I've trained in martial arts and could very likely kill someone with a well placed punch, so much so that I think about what I'd do and how to get out of it peacefully if someone attacked me. How would I get out of hitting them in the face so they don't fall down and crack their head open? Punch them in the kidney? Maybe, but I'd still rather just not have to hurt anyone. So you can take the everyone statement away as I am not in that group. If somebody comes up trying to provoke me I'll probably just tell them they are the tough guy and they win as I don't want to kill anyone or go to jail.

#5 Edited by Zlurodirom (723 posts) -

I've never thought explicitly about murdering someone. But I also don't emphasize with murderers, so maybe your idea doesn't apply to me.

Last I heard pedophiles were trying to legitimize their psychological condition, I hope that doesn't succeed.

I too will be enjoying a large bowl of Wheaties in the morning!

#6 Posted by MrGeezer (56100 posts) -

Animal abusers are understandable. It's just that people PRETEND that they aren't understandable because that would shed light on their own practices.

Let me clarify for a minute. Many animal abusers are not the people who torture a dog just for shits and giggles. Rather, they hurt the animal for some tangible personal gain. Some people say that declawing cats amounts to torture. Well, that's not done for shits and giggles, people do it to avoid the cat scratching up their furniture. A lot of abuse sometimes goes on at factory farms, but a large portion of it isn't done out of cruelty but rather to cut costs.That most certainly SHOULD be understandable to any customer who buys chickens raised on those factory farms. They could have found a humane free range supplier, but the meat might cost a bit more, so they support animal abuse by buying the cheaper meat.

#7 Posted by Master_Live (14162 posts) -

Lets be real here, when people talk about animal abuse the thing that comes to mind are dogs and cats, that's it. Not many people give too many of a shit about cows and the sort.

#8 Posted by Korvus (3187 posts) -

@robokill said:

well the premise is blatantly untrue, not everyone fantasizes about killing people. I've trained in martial arts and could very likely kill someone with a well placed punch, so much so that I think about what I'd do and how to get out of it peacefully if someone attacked me. How would I get out of hitting them in the face so they don't fall down and crack their head open? Punch them in the kidney? Maybe, but I'd still rather just not have to hurt anyone. So you can take the everyone statement away as I am not in that group. If somebody comes up trying to provoke me I'll probably just tell them they are the tough guy and they win as I don't want to kill anyone or go to jail.

I think that comes with the territory as martial artists. I had a lot of anger issues before I started martial arts, although I always managed not to hit anyone except in self-defense, but before you start martial arts you think you have it all figured out how to bring an attacker down. Then you actually learn the techniques you think you already knew (and their consequences!) and all of a sudden you have no idea how to defend yourself, which is completely counter intuitive. Yeah, we have 100 ways to kill a guy with a punch or kick, which in truth means there's 100 ways we CAN'T hit someone...it then becomes a lot harder to defend yourself.

I remember once being really close to getting mugged by a group of people and the only thing in my mind was "If they attack you, be quick and decisive but don't rattle their head too much, or kick too hard, or cause massive internal bleeding, remember not to hit there, or there, or there...", none of the thoughts were about my personal safety...that's some messed up stuff =P

#9 Posted by k--m--k (994 posts) -

I dont get it

what is your point ?

#10 Edited by VaguelyTagged (10118 posts) -

you just pointed out the obvious. congratz.

#11 Edited by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

@k--m--k said:

I dont get it

what is your point ?

Holy shit; I have a point?!

#12 Posted by Storm_Marine (10767 posts) -

We identify with murderers.

We do?

#13 Edited by comp_atkins (31263 posts) -
#14 Edited by Lucky_Krystal (1730 posts) -

TC, your avatar being Johan from Monster was icing on this thread's cake.

I have nothing else to say.