So I just watched JLA: Doom...

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
And wow. Am I the only one who thinks it's super creepy that Batman could hang out with these people every day(or however often) when all the while he's got step-by-step scenarios planned out on how to kill every one of them? And gimme that sh!t that Batman spouted off at the end- Wonder Woman's, Superman's, and the Flash's wouldn't have worked had they not been fatal. I don't know much about the Martian Manhunter, so I don't know if he would've died eventually or what, but I heard someone say he should've been "burning for weeks." Thoughts?
#2 Posted by ferrari2001 (16282 posts) -
I thought the film was good. One of the better films in the DC animated collection. I watched JL: The New Frontier last night and it wasn't nearly as good. I might watch Public Enemies today. Overall their collection is very good, and that movie is particularly great.
#3 Posted by solidruss (23591 posts) -

Doom was awesome and it would be exactly what Batman would do. At least that's what I think.

#4 Posted by Serraph105 (27215 posts) -

I haven't seen this, but I think I will later today.

#5 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
Funny thing is- I'd heard the story before, but I'd understood that someone had stolen Batman's profiles of the JLA, detailing their weaknesses- now I find out he had the whole scenario planned out to kill or cripple each one of them. By the way, now that Bane knows Batman is Bruce Wayne, why not attack him in public when he hasn't got all of his toys with him? Out him as Batman, ruin his life.
#6 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

And wow. Am I the only one who thinks it's super creepy that Batman could hang out with these people every day(or however often) when all the while he's got step-by-step scenarios planned out on how to kill every one of them? And gimme that sh!t that Batman spouted off at the end- Wonder Woman's, Superman's, and the Flash's wouldn't have worked had they not been fatal. I don't know much about the Martian Manhunter, so I don't know if he would've died eventually or what, but I heard someone say he should've been "burning for weeks." Thoughts?El_Zo1212o

He didn't have instructions on how to kill them. His plans were merely to immobilize, not kill. He said so specifically. Savage modified his plans to kill the League members. We don't know what the original plans were so how do you know they wouldn't have worked if they weren't fatal? Superman's original plan may have been to use a chunk of kryptonite to immobilize him, rather than a kryponite bullet. Afterwards he would lock him in a cell with a red solar lamp. (Similar to his plan in Superman: Red Son. Great story.) The poison used on Wonder Woman would eventually kill her, but he had the antidote. He could have intended to use that to wear her down and cure her after she's been restrained. I don't know about the Flash, but once again, we don't know the original plan or how much it has been modified.

Batman would never kill. He's come cose to killing Joker on numerous occasions but he always stopped himself. Do you really think he'd have plans to kill the other League members? There's no way. 

#7 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]And wow. Am I the only one who thinks it's super creepy that Batman could hang out with these people every day(or however often) when all the while he's got step-by-step scenarios planned out on how to kill every one of them? And gimme that sh!t that Batman spouted off at the end- Wonder Woman's, Superman's, and the Flash's wouldn't have worked had they not been fatal. I don't know much about the Martian Manhunter, so I don't know if he would've died eventually or what, but I heard someone say he should've been "burning for weeks." Thoughts?Tropictrain

He didn't have instructions on how to kill them. His plans were merely to immobilize, not kill. He said so specifically. Savage modified his plans to kill the League members. We don't know what the original plans were so how do you know they wouldn't have worked if they weren't fatal? Superman's original plan may have been to use a chunk of kryptonite to immobilize him, rather than a kryponite bullet. Afterwards he would lock him in a cell with a red solar lamp. (Similar to his plan in Superman: Red Son. Great story.) The poison used on Wonder Woman would eventually kill her, but he had the antidote. He could have intended to use that to wear her down and cure her after she's been restrained. I don't know about the Flash, but once again, we don't know the original plan or how much it has been modified.

Batman would never kill. He's come cose to killing Joker on numerous occasions but he always stopped himself. Do you really think he'd have plans to kill the other League members? There's no way. 

Okay, I'll buy your explanation for Superman. But what about Wonder Woman? The whole point of the poison was that because she'd never quit, her heart would give out. The things I saw her do(mainly the concrete-cracking elbow drop) show that she's nearly unstoppable. The only reason Cyborg stopped her was because she'd ripped hisarm off and thought the wound could be fatal, so she let her guard down. Cyborg was the only one who could have survived the encounter. And the Flash? How else would you keep him running if not with the threat of his own death? And how did Batman know to take the bomb to the iceberg if it wasn't his plan in the first place? Sure, it shows he had an out, but what if the Flash had tripped before he made if to the iceberg? Bye bye Flash.
#8 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
In any case, it shows that his plans, if not designed to be fatal, didn't require much alteration to become so.
#9 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

[QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]And wow. Am I the only one who thinks it's super creepy that Batman could hang out with these people every day(or however often) when all the while he's got step-by-step scenarios planned out on how to kill every one of them? And gimme that sh!t that Batman spouted off at the end- Wonder Woman's, Superman's, and the Flash's wouldn't have worked had they not been fatal. I don't know much about the Martian Manhunter, so I don't know if he would've died eventually or what, but I heard someone say he should've been "burning for weeks." Thoughts?El_Zo1212o

Okay, I'll buy your explanation for Superman. But what about Wonder Woman? The whole point of the poison was that because she'd never quit, her heart would give out. The things I saw her do(mainly the concrete-cracking elbow drop) show that she's nearly unstoppable. The only reason Cyborg stopped her was because she'd ripped hisarm off and thought the wound could be fatal, so she let her guard down. Cyborg was the only one who could have survived the encounter. And the Flash? How else would you keep him running if not with the threat of his own death? And how did Batman know to take the bomb to the iceberg if it wasn't his plan in the first place? Sure, it shows he had an out, but what if the Flash had tripped before he made if to the iceberg? Bye bye Flash.

Batman beat Wonder Woman in the Red Son story I mentioned. It was never revealed how he did it, but he immobilized her without killing her. And I don't know what his plan is for Flash. But I don't believe Batman is beyond lieing to take them down. Therefore the threat is still there. Maybe that's not a good answer, but I don't know the original plan. But if you know anything about Batman you'd know that his conviction against killing is stronger than any other superhero except MAYBE Superman. I would argue it's about equal to Superman. If he refuses to kill the Joker even after he killed Robin then he's not going to kill the League members.

#10 Posted by Serraph105 (27215 posts) -

I have to say TC, you are making this film sound pretty f*cking awesome. I'm excited to say the least.

#11 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -

I have to say TC, you are making this film sound pretty f*cking awesome. I'm excited to say the least.

Serraph105
Dude it really, REALLY was! It's on Netflix, and it's only 75 minutes long. GO WATCH IT NOW!
#12 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

Martian Manhunter is really scared of fire. I don't think it really hurts him but fire makes him mentally break down. Has to do with the shit that happened on Mars I think.

#13 Posted by Chicken453 (2035 posts) -
You should watch Green Lantern Emerald Knights and Green Lantern First Flight. They are both really good aswell.
#14 Posted by Chicken453 (2035 posts) -

Martian Manhunter is really scared of fire. I don't think it really hurts him but fire makes him mentally break down. Has to do with the shit that happened on Mars I think.

cain006
No all martians are weak to fire, and it can kill them. Fire is legitimately their weakness.
#15 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Tropictrain"]

Tropictrain

Batman beat Wonder Woman in the Red Son story I mentioned. It was never revealed how he did it, but he immobilized her without killing her. And I don't know what his plan is for Flash. But I don't believe Batman is beyond lieing to take them down. Therefore the threat is still there. Maybe that's not a good answer, but I don't know the original plan. But if you know anything about Batman you'd know that his conviction against killing is stronger than any other superhero except MAYBE Superman. I would argue it's about equal to Superman. If he refuses to kill the Joker even after he killed Robin then he's not going to kill the League members.

Flash is making more sense- didn't what's-his-face say something about him not being able to take the risk? I could see Batman bluffing the Flash right out of his tights like that. But then the quandry- if Batman had to implement this plan, it's because the Flash had gone rogue. So if there's no bang when he tires out or stumbles, then all you get is a few minutes while he catches his breath, then he's off to the races(ha ha) again, but this time knowing the bomb's a dud. How does this result in his capture or neutralization? But Wonder Woman still needs explaining- by the time Cyborg showed up, her vital signs were a mess, but it didn't cause her to miss a single step. Even working herself to death like that, she was still 100%. If Batman couldn't get through her defense and sedate her in time, her heart would've exploded. And all of this just gives me the idea that Ol' Bats planned to kill them all, then just backed off a smidge.
#16 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
[QUOTE="cain006"]

Chicken453
No all martians are weak to fire, and it can kill them. Fire is legitimately their weakness.

I thought he seemed a oddly distrustful of the cake. So how long could he have kept burning before dying? By all indications he'd been burning for at least an hour, maybe longer.
#17 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
You should watch Green Lantern Emerald Knights and Green Lantern First Flight. They are both really good aswell. Chicken453
Are they on Netflix?
#18 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

Chicken453

I think we're both wrong, I just looked it up and wikipedia says that the writer's are extremely inconsistent.

#19 Posted by ad1x2 (5233 posts) -
Am I the only one who thinks it's super creepy that Batman could hang out with these people every day(or however often) when all the while he's got step-by-step scenarios planned out on how to kill every one of them?El_Zo1212o
Not really. If you look at it from a military standpoint, you have allies that you trust but you also want to have a backup plan that they don't know about you can use just in case they go against you later. Not being prepared for that possibility is something that would be naive at best and outright stupid at worst. The JLU cartoon touched up on it more with the US military making plans to fight the Justice League.
#20 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Am I the only one who thinks it's super creepy that Batman could hang out with these people every day(or however often) when all the while he's got step-by-step scenarios planned out on how to kill every one of them?ad1x2
Not really. If you look at it from a military standpoint, you have allies that you trust but you also want to have a backup plan that they don't know about you can use just in case they go against you later. Not being prepared for that possibility is something that would be naive at best and outright stupid at worst. The JLU cartoon touched up on it more with the US military making plans to fight the Justice League.

I see your point, much like I understood Batman's(basically identical) reason. But nations plotting on each other while diplomats smile and shake hands is one thing, it's impersonal, it's just business between one organization and another. But these are people- he used information gathered from personal relationships to plot and execute(the latter, admittedly, by accident) each member's individual destruction.
#21 Posted by wolverine4262 (18348 posts) -
Fantastic movie. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is also very good.
#22 Posted by cell_dweller (19831 posts) -
I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out.
#23 Posted by ferrari2001 (16282 posts) -
Fantastic movie. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is also very good. wolverine4262
I'm watching that one next.
#24 Posted by Blueresident87 (5149 posts) -

Serraph105

Watch it, it's great.

#25 Posted by wolverine4262 (18348 posts) -
[QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Fantastic movie. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is also very good. ferrari2001

Supergirl is well animated. lol
#26 Posted by ferrari2001 (16282 posts) -
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"][QUOTE="wolverine4262"]Fantastic movie. Superman/Batman: Apocalypse is also very good. wolverine4262

Supergirl is well animated. lol

And voiced by Summer Glau. So therefore, awesome!
#27 Posted by wolverine4262 (18348 posts) -
[QUOTE="ferrari2001"] And voiced by Summer Glau. So therefore, awesome!

Yes yes
#28 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out. cell_dweller
It was actually one of my least favorite. I thought Superman/Batman Public Enemies, Batman Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, and Superman vs The Elite were all better.

#29 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out. cain006

It was actually one of my least favorite. I thought Superman/Batman Public Enemies, Batman Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, and Superman vs The Elite were all better.

I hated the ending for Elite

[spoiler] You have the *****ing capacity to take away genetic, alien, and magic power from the Elites, but NEVER TOOK THE ******ING POWERS AWAY FROM A WALKING NUCLEAR DISATER THAT KILLS FOR FUN!!! [/spoiler]

#30 Posted by Chris_Williams (14863 posts) -

I'm not a batman fan but at the end of the movie he proved how much of a badass he was. 

#31 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
It was really good, but Batman Under the Red Hood was even better. Apocalypse was also really good and so was Crisis on Two Earths. DC pretty much kills Marvel in animated movies. Even the Wonder Woman animated movie was extremely good.
#32 Posted by BranKetra (46500 posts) -
JLA: Doom is the movie in which every fan on Batman saying he could beat anyone with prep time got validation. Batman never meant for his contingency plans to be fatal. He never kills the villains he faces and saves them sometimes. It would be hypocrisy.
#33 Posted by cell_dweller (19831 posts) -

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out. cain006

Thanks, now I have to watch all of them...
#34 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
It was really good, but Batman Under the Red Hood was even better. Apocalypse was also really good and so was Crisis on Two Earths. DC pretty much kills Marvel in animated movies. Even the Wonder Woman animated movie was extremely good.Kurushio
Under the Red Hood was cool, but I've seen a good number of the Marvel animated movies and I think they're equal to at least these two DC movies- Hulk VS, Planet Hulk, even the Avemgers TV series(the Ultimate Avengers was pretty bad) was pretty awesome.
#35 Posted by solidruss (23591 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out. cell_dweller

All of those were really good. Batman Year one was beyond great! Superman vs The Elite was up there too.

Out of all the animated movies the only one I really didn't care for was All Star Superman

#36 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
[QUOTE="Kurushio"]It was really good, but Batman Under the Red Hood was even better. Apocalypse was also really good and so was Crisis on Two Earths. DC pretty much kills Marvel in animated movies. Even the Wonder Woman animated movie was extremely good.El_Zo1212o
Under the Red Hood was cool, but I've seen a good number of the Marvel animated movies and I think they're equal to at least these two DC movies- Hulk VS, Planet Hulk, even the Avemgers TV series(the Ultimate Avengers was pretty bad) was pretty awesome.

Hulk Vs and Planet Hulk is pretty much it though. When you go into cartoon shows it evens up quite a bit, but i think DC still has the advantage there. Marvel is pretty much all about having one giant universe around the Avengers which is fine, but it will limit the growth a bit as well. I cant wait for SHIELD though.
#37 Posted by Serraph105 (27215 posts) -
[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out. cell_dweller

Under the Red Hood is great, but I have not seen these Batman/Superman crossovers. Will be watching them soon though.
#38 Posted by BranKetra (46500 posts) -
[QUOTE="cell_dweller"][QUOTE="cain006"]It was actually one of my least favorite. I thought Superman/Batman Public Enemies, Batman Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, and Superman vs The Elite were all better.Serraph105

Under the Red Hood is great, but I have not seen these Batman/Superman crossovers. Will be watching them soon though.

+1
#39 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18296 posts) -
The game Doom was better than the movie.
#40 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Kurushio"]It was really good, but Batman Under the Red Hood was even better. Apocalypse was also really good and so was Crisis on Two Earths. DC pretty much kills Marvel in animated movies. Even the Wonder Woman animated movie was extremely good.Kurushio

Hulk Vs and Planet Hulk is pretty much it though. When you go into cartoon shows it evens up quite a bit, but i think DC still has the advantage there. Marvel is pretty much all about having one giant universe around the Avengers which is fine, but it will limit the growth a bit as well. I cant wait for SHIELD though.

I'm pretty worried about the SHIELD program- I don't know if it ever saw production, but there was talk of a Punisher tv show and the synopsis they gave sounded dreadful.
#41 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -
The game Doom was better than the movie.Rattlesnake_8
We still talking about DC animation? Or are you discussing the dude who was named for a geological formation?
#42 Posted by BranKetra (46500 posts) -
I know this is getting off-topic, but I find I like the majority of Marvel comics franchises more than DC comics, but I like DC animated series more than Marvel's on average. Does anyone share my opinion?
#43 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

[QUOTE="cain006"]

[QUOTE="cell_dweller"]I just watched this after reading the thread. Definitely one of the best that DC has put out. dercoo

[spoiler] You have the *****ing capacity to take away genetic, alien, and magic power from the Elites, but NEVER TOOK THE ******ING POWERS AWAY FROM A WALKING NUCLEAR DISATER THAT KILLS FOR FUN!!! [/spoiler]

I actually disliked the story a lot but the fights more than made up for it.

Oh and to those of you saying you need to watch the movies, wikipedia has a list of all of them.

#44 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]It was actually one of my least favorite. I thought Superman/Batman Public Enemies, Batman Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, and Superman vs The Elite were all better.

cain006

Oh and to those of you saying you need to watch the movies, wikipedia has a list of all of them.

On action terms it was great. Much better than the resent Braniac film.

#45 Posted by Kurushio (10485 posts) -
[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"][QUOTE="Kurushio"][QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"] Under the Red Hood was cool, but I've seen a good number of the Marvel animated movies and I think they're equal to at least these two DC movies- Hulk VS, Planet Hulk, even the Avemgers TV series(the Ultimate Avengers was pretty bad) was pretty awesome.

I'm pretty worried about the SHIELD program- I don't know if it ever saw production, but there was talk of a Punisher tv show and the synopsis they gave sounded dreadful.

I don't think there should be any reason to worry. Disney is investing quite a lot into Marvel properties and it has the mind of Joss Whedon has it's guide. He hasn't had a great track record of TV shows for the last decade, but that's usually because his stuff was usually a bit harder for mainstream to latch onto.
#46 Posted by Tropictrain (4863 posts) -

Flash is making more sense- didn't what's-his-face say something about him not being able to take the risk? I could see Batman bluffing the Flash right out of his tights like that. But then the quandry- if Batman had to implement this plan, it's because the Flash had gone rogue. So if there's no bang when he tires out or stumbles, then all you get is a few minutes while he catches his breath, then he's off to the races(ha ha) again, but this time knowing the bomb's a dud. How does this result in his capture or neutralization? But Wonder Woman still needs explaining- by the time Cyborg showed up, her vital signs were a mess, but it didn't cause her to miss a single step. Even working herself to death like that, she was still 100%. If Batman couldn't get through her defense and sedate her in time, her heart would've exploded. And all of this just gives me the idea that Ol' Bats planned to kill them all, then just backed off a smidge.El_Zo1212o

Honestly, just replace the bomb with sleep gas bomb or something. Instead of dieing, he's knocked out. Attach a GPS and Batman can retrieve him wherever he is. Simple. But there's no way Batman even considered killing them. It just doesn't make sense. I still don't have a concrete answer for Wonder Woman, and perhaps I'll never have one. I'm not Batman. I don't know what his plan was. But I know it wasn't to kill. 

#47 Posted by El_Zo1212o (5801 posts) -

[QUOTE="El_Zo1212o"]Flash is making more sense- didn't what's-his-face say something about him not being able to take the risk? I could see Batman bluffing the Flash right out of his tights like that. But then the quandry- if Batman had to implement this plan, it's because the Flash had gone rogue. So if there's no bang when he tires out or stumbles, then all you get is a few minutes while he catches his breath, then he's off to the races(ha ha) again, but this time knowing the bomb's a dud. How does this result in his capture or neutralization? But Wonder Woman still needs explaining- by the time Cyborg showed up, her vital signs were a mess, but it didn't cause her to miss a single step. Even working herself to death like that, she was still 100%. If Batman couldn't get through her defense and sedate her in time, her heart would've exploded. And all of this just gives me the idea that Ol' Bats planned to kill them all, then just backed off a smidge.Tropictrain

Honestly, just replace the bomb with sleep gas bomb or something. Instead of dieing, he's knocked out. Attach a GPS and Batman can retrieve him wherever he is. Simple. But there's no way Batman even considered killing them. It just doesn't make sense. I still don't have a concrete answer for Wonder Woman, and perhaps I'll never have one. I'm not Batman. I don't know what his plan was. But I know it wasn't to kill. 

And if the Flash's gone rogue, how do you lure him into the trap in the first place? Little-old-lady-in-a-box isn't a tempting piece of bait for a goodguy gone badguy. I'm tellin' ya, Bats formed at least one plan with lethal intent and maybe 2- because how do you form a bullet out of stone that doesn't shatter when you pull the trigger?
#48 Posted by bionicle_lover (4501 posts) -

[QUOTE="dercoo"]

[QUOTE="cain006"]It was actually one of my least favorite. I thought Superman/Batman Public Enemies, Batman Under the Red Hood, Dark Knight Returns, Batman Year One, and Superman vs The Elite were all better.

cain006

i thought the story's basis was a good one, but it wasnt executed too well.The elite sort of came out of nowhere without much explanation for why they do what they do and manchester black's backstory was a little muddled and boring.

I've also seen almost all the animated movies and for anybody that likes dc, i'd recommend checking some of them out too. I'm not a major DC fan, but I like to follow a few comics and i've seen all the 90's/ early 2000's animated shows that are DCAU. it's weird though because some of these movies dont seem to be on par with justice league unlimited in terms of voice acting or production value, however, there are some good fight scenes. Maybe their budget isnt as high.

#49 Posted by Serraph105 (27215 posts) -

So this movie was awesome. No I don't find Batman's actions creepy, but if I was on the JLA I would certainly be troubled by at first though I think I would end up siding with Green Lantern. Having a check on all that power is a good thing.

#50 Posted by Serraph105 (27215 posts) -

Next up is Public Enemies