So I just got in my first ever car accident today..

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StateOfGrace
Member since 2012 • 96 Posts
It was horrible. I was driving in a narrow street and the car in front of me made a sudden stop at an intersection which gave me NO time to stop my car before the impact and I ended up completely ruining the front of my car. It's funny because my whole front part was caved in while the other person's car only had minor scratches... ridiculous.
StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 StateOfGrace
Looks like I got the bad end of the stick... Oh well. Oh yeah, almost forgot to tell you guys... when I got in an accident, there were cars behind me and people were yelling "get the F out of the wayy!!" when you could CLEARLY see that I got into an accident. Or maybe they were blind? Heck, i don't know. I got yelled at so many times. This one guy was like "Next time, stop in time before you crash, idiot. you're blocking the way". I mean, come on.. i just got into a car accident and now you're talking trash? You weren't even there!! Jeez.. way to hit someone when they're down... hate people like them. My car wouldn't even run..which is why I couldn't move it out of the street.
StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 StateOfGrace
But even with people yelling and screaming at me.. or us.. I kept my cool. Didn't care at all because I had more things to worry about than argue with some random person in the car. Anyways... because of this incident, I'm going to be driving extremely carefully from now on, not that I wasn't driving carefully in the first place because I was. But now I just have to be EXTRA cautious.. Seriously, that feeling you get right when you're about to crash, and you're trying to stop it but you just end up crashing is just..... yeah..not a good feeling at all. I was thinking "oh please tell me this is a dream. This can't be happening. I have somewhere to go.. i can't believe this." But yeah.. enough of me. What about you? Have you ever gotten into an accident and when was that? I guess the accident was inevitable... because it happens to everyone. There is no possible way you will never get into a car accident in your whole entire lifetime. There's just no way..unless of course, you don't drive.
StateOfGrace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StateOfGrace
Sorry for the triple post. I had to do that to avoid the wall of text. Wouldn't let me space it out for some reason...
LLYNCES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LLYNCES
Member since 2012 • 378 Posts

Woudln't let me space text when I was that level either, I just used "." to seperate so like.
. (Continue post here)

but anyways, yeah that sucks brah. I almost got in my first car accident this year but luckily my amazing reaction skills were enough to prevent a crash.

gamespot4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 gamespot4life
Member since 2007 • 1301 Posts

Sorry to hear about that buddy, sucks because you will be put at fault for this because you were behind him, be prepared for an insurance hike when your policy renews.

Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
Maintain an appropriate space cushion next time. Safe and proper driving could have helped you completely avoid that situation. I know how you feel though. I was caught up in a bad collision on the interstate and it was probably the scariest thing I've ever been through.
Detroit222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#8 Detroit222
Member since 2005 • 5371 Posts

You have my sympathy, especially for the idiots who were too busy to check to see if anyone was hurt but took time out to yell.

Been in a few accidents. The last one though was a doozy. Brand NEW car (only a month old). A huge piece of tire from a 18-wheeler came flying into the front of my car. There was no way I could miss it. Came out of no where. Scary sh**. Cost several thousand to repair the front of my car but my insurance covered it.

sune_Gem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 sune_Gem
Member since 2006 • 12463 Posts

Wow, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th post were wrote merely a minute after the first! :o

You're a fast typer!

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Maintain an appropriate space cushion next time. Safe and proper driving could have helped you completely avoid that situation. I know how you feel though. I was caught up in a bad collision on the interstate and it was probably the scariest thing I've ever been through.Canvas_Of_Flesh

Yup. It scares the hell out of me how close many drivers follow. There's no need for it, you're not getting anywhere faster.

You should be far enough back that if the person in front of you stops suddenly you have time to decelerate without locking your brakes up. Yes, that means quite a distance at speed and yes people will keep pulling between you and the car you're following, but just fall back.

The more you drive the more you'll realize that you should always expect that the other cars around you are driven by fvcking idiots.

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts
Sucks bro.
FMAB_GTO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FMAB_GTO
Member since 2010 • 14385 Posts
I wish i don't crash anything when I start driving =[
konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

my first and only accident was with a parked car.:P

muller39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 muller39
Member since 2008 • 14953 Posts

Will suck to be paying your insurance.

michaelP4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 michaelP4
Member since 2004 • 16681 Posts

Sorry to hear about that buddy, sucks because you will be put at fault for this because you were behind him, be prepared for an insurance hike when your policy renews.

gamespot4life
Yeah as far as I know: if the car in front is stationary, it's your fault as you should be prepared to stop at any time for any reason - like if a pedestrian just randomly and sporadically decides to cross the road.
The_Zoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 The_Zoid
Member since 2006 • 59984 Posts
First of several my friend. Pepper thine angus.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts

A friend of mines got into one of those crashes last may. Dude got chewed out by his father and the bimbo he hit was trying to milk it by pretending to be hurt cause he had on military fatigues on(he's in the army). You're suppose to remain at least one car's distance behind the car in front of you.

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Wow, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th post were wrote merely a minute after the first! :o

You're a fast typer!

sune_Gem

Aren't there rules against typing that many posts in less than a minute?

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#19 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

All in all that that doesn't seem that bad. No one was hurt, that's what's important. To put it in perspective, my first car accident happened a few years ago when I was driving down a mountain road and hit a patch of black ice. I slid off the road, dropped 20 feet into the forest and crashed into a tree. My friend in the back seat wasn't wearing a seat belt and smashed his head through the side window and broke his arm against the door. Basically what I'm saying is, things could have been worse.

Floridaman46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Floridaman46
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts
A car wreak is not fun. I have been in two of them.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts
You've apparently missed the big lesson in your first accident, you should learn what you did wrong not resign what happened to it being inevitable. Anyhow, every accident should be a learning experience. My first one was I the person ahead of me slammed on their breaks, causing me to slam on mine, causing the person behind me to slam me into the car in front of me. Second to were minor fender bumps. Seen lots of accidents happen on the road though while I was on them, saw a drunk driver take the off-ramp at like 90mph and saw her flip her car like half a dozen times, she was amazingly okay because she was so drunk she didn't tense up and her airbag deployed and she only had a minor bump on her head, but her car was totaled. Another time on the freeway someone was speeding through traffic tailing other cars and weaving in and out of lanes when someone break-checked her and she lost control, started swerving, just missed me and broadsided another car. Also lived near a few bars for some time and there were tons of rear endings and a few hit and runs even, either because they were distracted, drunk, looking at tail on the sidewalk, whatever. Last accident I saw someone pulled out from their parking space out onto the road without looking and got hit on the driver side. Saw that on my way to work between the bus stop and my office. Another time a block away from that accident someone rear ended another car at a light in slow moving stop and go traffic. Most important thing to take from the idea of an accident being inevitable is that even if you're a safe driver you always have to remain aware of the cars around you and assess any possible risks. The idea of the inevitable car accident though scares me more than ever since I'm now riding a scooter to save money on gas, insurance, and they're fun. It's turned me into an even more aware and cautious driver but that still doesn't take away the fact that other people on the road can be dangerous drivers, since getting my bike I've been ran out of my lane twice by people who don't head-check, and twice had people come out into my lane of traffic from the curb where I had to break hard to prevent an accident. I'm learning to be a more cautious driver on a bike, but it is kind of overwhelming, besides having to keep an eye on everybody else I constantly have to assess road conditions for things people in cars would normally overlook.
hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
next time add dashcam .... upload ur next accident on youtube
Pvt_r3d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Pvt_r3d
Member since 2006 • 7901 Posts
There is probably more to the story then you're telling us. Whenever an accident occurs, the person who caused it will always look for a reason to blame the other person. This goes for close-calls as well. Almost hit a person at an intersection and immediately thought it was the other drivers fault, but when I think about it, I could have avoided that conflict.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#24 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

Sorry to hear that! I've never been in a bad wreck or had a real legit wreck, but the small accident I was in was enough to freak me out.

IdioticIcarus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 IdioticIcarus
Member since 2012 • 2167 Posts

Luckily I have yet to get into a car accident while I was driving, but I have been in 3 car accidents as a passenger. It is no fun.

I hate when people yell at you for stuff like this. My car broke down in the road once. I was alone and didn't have any help moving the car, but I was trying to. Yet I just continued getting yelled at, honked at, and flipped off by people who were driving around me. Seriously, why? Eventually an old couple stopped and helped me. Be nice, people!

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

When an accident happens, just call the police and have them come down and take care of it. Never give someone cash/insurance info and expect it to "go away".

I have hit a pedestrian with my car once. THAT was horrible. Guy ran into the street at 3am, I thought I killed him.

Although I am sorry to hear about your car...

edgewalker16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 edgewalker16
Member since 2005 • 2286 Posts

my first and only accident was with a parked car.:P

konvikt_17
I can beat that. My first and only accident was with a parked car...in our own driveway. -__-