So I finally released my EP. (Hip Hop)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 CR00K
Member since 2006 • 2657 Posts

I posted a music video on the GS forums ages ago called Song for the Skinny.  It was slightly fitting as I was playing videogames on a part of it. lol Anyways, I finally have released a project and thought it would be fitting to share it with you guys.  There are a couple game references in there.  One on track 2 and also track 5.

Not sure how many of you are into Hip Hop.  I prefer the Hip Hop artists with a little more substance.  Nas, Blu, Talib Kweli, Common, KRS ONE, Kendrick Lamar (For the most part), Tribe Called Quest, etc.  Anyways, check it out.  If you're going to only give it a second, at least listen to Lemonade Stand. 

http://continuous.bandcamp.com/

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

woah, i expected a level 1 spambot.

Bucked20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Bucked20
Member since 2011 • 6651 Posts
Dope so far,you don't post on any hip hop forums tho, cause they usually have big threads for everyone to post their music
Spellingiscool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Spellingiscool
Member since 2010 • 1450 Posts
Well done. Stick with it, you are talented.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
You go hard in the paint my *insert synonym for African American/Black in Spanish*
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CR00K
You go hard in the paint my *insert synonym for African American/Black in Spanish*Fightingfan
Your Waka Flocka reference was an insult to one of the points I try to make, but I still laughed.
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]You go hard in the paint my *insert synonym for African American/Black in Spanish*CR00K
Your Waka Flocka reference was an insult to one of the points I try to make, but I still laughed.

To be fair Waka is completely different from you. Waka makes ignorant shit. I call it black people screamo.
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
swag
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 CR00K
[QUOTE="CR00K"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]You go hard in the paint my *insert synonym for African American/Black in Spanish*Fightingfan

To be fair Waka is completely different from you. Waka makes ignorant shit. I call it black people screamo.

lol Touche. I've described his music as the same.
hydralisk86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hydralisk86
Member since 2006 • 8844 Posts
Make sure someone else doesn't steal your music, but then you probably already know about that.
coolkid93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#12 coolkid93
Member since 2007 • 6749 Posts
I listened to all of them a little bit and I must say that they sound pretty good. I like. Keep It up.
supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

Sounds really good, not much you can do on GS OT where most of it are metal heads but keep putting yourself out there. Great sound

Saturos3091

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 Saturos3091
Member since 2005 • 14937 Posts
not much you can do on GS OT where most of it are metal heads supa_badman
Ain't even true anymore. Far more Pitchfork-humpers nowadays on OT. Anyway you sound pretty good TC. Keep up the good work. One small thing bothers me though and it might be a personal taste issue, but your voice is mixed a bit high so it overpowers the beats.
Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
Pretty cool. Keep it up. I wish you well.
SilentFireX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SilentFireX
Member since 2005 • 1956 Posts
I didn't expect that quality. I like the rhymes and flow, but some of the songs' instrumentals are too repetitive. That being said, keep it up, man!
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CR00K
[QUOTE="supa_badman"]not much you can do on GS OT where most of it are metal heads Saturos3091
Ain't even true anymore. Far more Pitchfork-humpers nowadays on OT. Anyway you sound pretty good TC. Keep up the good work. One small thing bothers me though and it might be a personal taste issue, but your voice is mixed a bit high so it overpowers the beats.

Word. I appreciate it. Yeah, we're no professional sound engineers, but we'll only get better at it. We did it all on our own. Thanks for feedback, man!
DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

I will give it a download and a listen, and report back with what I think.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 CR00K

DarkGamer007
Word. Brutal honesty is appreciated btw.
TacticaI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 TacticaI
Member since 2006 • 1363 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]

CR00K

Word. Brutal honesty is appreciated btw.

Okay, to be completely honest with you... you're pretty good. If you get better, you could get paid to do it. 

DarkGamer007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DarkGamer007
Member since 2008 • 6033 Posts

The Music:

To start, I think you rap really well and have a great voice. I thought the beats were well done, and I liked the raw, barebones feel of the EP. You need to work on your Choruses, when I was listening to Great Girls or Song for the Skinny they really broke the flow of the song and I wish they weren't in there,  they weren't catchy. The biggest problem I had with the Choruses though was your voice, when rapping you have this really powerful, calm, and confident sounding voice, but come to the Choruses your voice sounds insecure, like a nervous person singing karaoke. The Lemonade Stand Insight was my favorite of the EP, the song was well done, contains the best of your Choruses and is halarious. Great flow, great lyrics, beat and contanis a lot of character.

The Sound Fidelity:

You should watch this video about mastering and the Loudness War

Dynamic Range Comparisons:

It's OK by Eminem (Infinite 1996)

[spoiler] Soundwave [/spoiler]

Not Afraid by Eminem (Recovery 2010)

[spoiler] Soundwave 2 [/spoiler]

Great Girls by Continuous (The Beautiful Traverse 2013)

[spoiler] Soundwave 3 [/spoiler]

It's Okay by Eminem is sonically the best sounding song of these three as it lacks almost any dynamic range compression, the vocals and other instruments peak at lower levels than the percussion. Not Afraid by Eminem is completely compressed and lacks dynamic range. One sounds loud and noisy while the other sounds natural, and more powerful. Music, especially beats have a far greater oomph and punch when a track features natural dynamics. Your EP appears to be somewhere inbetween these two, and closer to the Not Afraid track. In the future try to master your songs to look like It's OK instead of Not Afraid. For more examples and references I would check out "End the Loudness War" group on Facebook

Overall keep up the great work man, I will glady listen to anything your release in the future.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

The beats were very good. I thought your rhymes were OK I couldnt really tell on the songs if it was  a "serious" or "joke" song. I like rappers who can do both like Eminem and Tupac and most the rappers it says you like. I've had a few friends try to rap they were real serious but you are better. The lyrics are pretty solid but we all know its more about delivery and catchy beats to "make it" now adays.

The other guy said you sounded a little nervous on the chorus and I agree but I felt kinda like that on all the songs. You just gotta go balls out full swag mode and not care. (not saying I could ever do that no way I could) but thats what you gotta do.

Good work keep going

Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
One sounds loud and noisy while the other sounds natural, and more powerful. Music, especially beats have a far greater oomph and punch when a track features natural dynamics. DarkGamer007
ok i've heard stuff like this tons of times on forums, tutorials, and such but from my experiences in comparing music i've found the case to be pretty much the opposite: all the best producers i know compress the hell out of their songs and hit their limiters hard. if you take a song like say 'slasherr' by rustie, the difference between the peak level and rms level in the transients is miniscule at about the 0:53 mark. however, i doubt anyone would consider that part of the song lacking in oomph or punch. http://soundcloud.com/rustie/slasherr-numbers OP, when it comes to mastering a lot of it is up to the preference of whoever's doing it. but i can tell you that a lot of compression is necessary to compete with most contemporary hip-hop producers. of course you can still make good tracks mastering the way they did 10 years ago but if i were you i would just pick a song or two as reference for each track and go from there (that is unless you're already doing so) just my 2 cents on this
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 CR00K
[QUOTE="DarkGamer007"]One sounds loud and noisy while the other sounds natural, and more powerful. Music, especially beats have a far greater oomph and punch when a track features natural dynamics. VanHelsingBoA64
ok i've heard stuff like this tons of times on forums, tutorials, and such but from my experiences in comparing music i've found the case to be pretty much the opposite: all the best producers i know compress the hell out of their songs and hit their limiters hard. if you take a song like say 'slasherr' by rustie, the difference between the peak level and rms level in the transients is miniscule at about the 0:53 mark. however, i doubt anyone would consider that part of the song lacking in oomph or punch. http://soundcloud.com/rustie/slasherr-numbers OP, when it comes to mastering a lot of it is up to the preference of whoever's doing it. but i can tell you that a lot of compression is necessary to compete with most contemporary hip-hop producers. of course you can still make good tracks mastering the way they did 10 years ago but if i were you i would just pick a song or two as reference for each track and go from there (that is unless you're already doing so) just my 2 cents on this

To respond to both of you, I appreciate that. I'll show your posts to my friend. He's the one that did the mastering. (And also produced Lemonade Stand.) What I didn't point out is that I'm a huge fan of 90s Hip Hop. The Golden Age. We did kinda go for that feel, whether it fully came out that way or not. Wu Tang had/has a really raw sound like that and that's what we went for. He's still studying the art of mixing and mastering. Definitely not easy as you may know. lol Thanks guise
CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 CR00K

The beats were very good. I thought your rhymes were OK I couldnt really tell on the songs if it was  a "serious" or "joke" song. I like rappers who can do both like Eminem and Tupac and most the rappers it says you like. I've had a few friends try to rap they were real serious but you are better. The lyrics are pretty solid but we all know its more about delivery and catchy beats to "make it" now adays.

The other guy said you sounded a little nervous on the chorus and I agree but I felt kinda like that on all the songs. You just gotta go balls out full swag mode and not care. (not saying I could ever do that no way I could) but thats what you gotta do.

Good work keep going

AdamPA1006
Yeah, I'm assuming you feel that way about Song for the Skinny. Honestly, when I wrote it, I felt a certain way about it. lol It was an insecurity of mine at the time. However, I also teased myself about it. You can take the song however you want. I've had people say that they feel/felt the same way and I've had people laugh. Either way, man. As for Lemonade Stand, that was my twist on gangster stories, you could say. lol Threw little bits and pieces of my childhood in there. Sonic, Lemonade Stands, Rugrats, coming home right in time for dinner, etc. lol I'll get better. My delivery has definitely grown from where I was before. Appreciate the honesty.
marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

YASSS. love the old school kind of vibe

Ok,now, you did say to be brutally honest...

IMO you have potential and congratulation's and doing this material from the ground up.

My MAIN problem with it is you're delivery... I't feel's liek you're readig out of a paper and it's not just flowing out of you with meaning("great girl",I think, is the exception, with that track you can tell you're connected to the song and meant every word, It was authentic. That chorus was very bad though :/ you don't have a nice "singing" voice.) Lemonade stand was another good one, interesting song and story and a nice delivery/flow. That is something you def. have to work on, I mean that is why Biggie, tupac etc. transcended to the "mainstream" because the way they delivered the song was just awesome-sauce, you felt every word and could connect even if you've never experienced what they were expressing(Kendrick Lamar is a good modern example). Idk what to say about "song for the skinny", couldn't take that seriously at all lol.

Idk what intention's you have, If you wanna "get big" or w.e BUT I feel that the sound you are currently using is very generic(it seem's like every amateur rapper that start's out goes to this sound automaticaly...90's was amazing for rap and hip-hop but I think that specific sound and vibe is gonna stay in that decade) so it might be hard to accomplish that :0 

I think that covers my feeling?...anyway good luck and "never give up on you're dreams" ;3

TacticalDesire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TacticalDesire
Member since 2010 • 10713 Posts

Good stuff.  Cool to have an aspiring musician on the board.  I don't listen to a ton of rap (mostly random stuff like Lupe Fiasco, Tyler the Creator, Mackelmore,  a little Talib Kweli) but you sounded good imo.

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
I don't like hip-hop much but stuff like this is really good.
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts

Nice, it's always refreshing to hear something I can listen to around my moms. kind of remind me of songs Lupe, Mosdef, and Talib will make. The market for this is slim but with the right connects you can make some noise. If you're in the NY area P.M. me. Maybe I can throw a few numbers your way. Stay at it, brah.

CR00K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 CR00K

IMO you have potential and congratulation's and doing this material from the ground up.

My MAIN problem with it is you're delivery... I't feel's liek you're readig out of a paper and it's not just flowing out of you with meaning("great girl",I think, is the exception, with that track you can tell you're connected to the song and meant every word, It was authentic. That chorus was very bad though :/ you don't have a nice "singing" voice.) Lemonade stand was another good one, interesting song and story and a nice delivery/flow. That is something you def. have to work on, I mean that is why Biggie, tupac etc. transcended to the "mainstream" because the way they delivered the song was just awesome-sauce, you felt every word and could connect even if you've never experienced what they were expressing(Kendrick Lamar is a good modern example). Idk what to say about "song for the skinny", couldn't take that seriously at all lol.

Idk what intention's you have, If you wanna "get big" or w.e BUT I feel that the sound you are currently using is very generic(it seem's like every amateur rapper that start's out goes to this sound automaticaly...90's was amazing for rap and hip-hop but I think that specific sound and vibe is gonna stay in that decade) so it might be hard to accomplish that :0 

I think that covers my feeling?...anyway good luck and "never give up on you're dreams" ;3

marluxia101

lol I understand the disconnect with Song for the Skinny. That's a difficult one. I wrote that song when I was younger because I was self conscious about my weight. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you have to understand that in the song I said I 6'1, 116 lbs. Picture that. lol The song was serious/comical when I wrote it. I had girls in school that thought I was 'cute', but too skinny to date. My niece could pick me up when she was 9 years old. I've talked to people that have the same INSANE metabolism as me that really connected with it. One thing that has to be acknowledged is how accurate the song is. No BS. Of course I like to write stories and battle raps, but most of my material is, I know it sounds cliche, but real. It is what it is. I wouldn't say my style is the cliche. I actually think it's quite the opposite. Aside from my battle rap, which is supposed to brag and boast, I'm actually staying on a specific subject. Most of the radio stuff is...you know....im the best. I got this. I got that. Trust me, most of the artists in my area are about that and that only makes me work harder at being different.

I definitely know I need to work on my delivery. It's inconsistent. I just gotta find that right one and be 100% at all times. Next project, I'll make sure of that. Don't think I didn't listen to what you said. I guess I'll have to try to be even more different. You're the first person that has said that so far, but I'll definitely remember that. I was thinking about doing an acoustic hip hop album in the future. Don't really see that much, if any.

I'll leave you with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKfXuFCPPg

Btw, sorry if some of this doesn't make sense.  I'm tired as hell atm.

marluxia101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 marluxia101
Member since 2009 • 1614 Posts

[QUOTE="marluxia101"]

CR00K

lol I understand the disconnect with Song for the Skinny. That's a difficult one. I wrote that song when I was younger because I was self conscious about my weight. I know it sounds ridiculous, but you have to understand that in the song I said I 6'1, 116 lbs. Picture that. lol The song was serious/comical when I wrote it. I had girls in school that thought I was 'cute', but too skinny to date. My niece could pick me up when she was 9 years old. I've talked to people that have the same INSANE metabolism as me that really connected with it. One thing that has to be acknowledged is how accurate the song is. No BS. Of course I like to write stories and battle raps, but most of my material is, I know it sounds cliche, but real. It is what it is. I wouldn't say my style is the cliche. I actually think it's quite the opposite. Aside from my battle rap, which is supposed to brag and boast, I'm actually staying on a specific subject. Most of the radio stuff is...you know....im the best. I got this. I got that. Trust me, most of the artists in my area are about that and that only makes me work harder at being different.

I definitely know I need to work on my delivery. It's inconsistent. I just gotta find that right one and be 100% at all times. Next project, I'll make sure of that. Don't think I didn't listen to what you said. I guess I'll have to try to be even more different. You're the first person that has said that so far, but I'll definitely remember that. I was thinking about doing an acoustic hip hop album in the future. Don't really see that much, if any.

I'll leave you with this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itKfXuFCPPg

Btw, sorry if some of this doesn't make sense.  I'm tired as hell atm.

Ok... that was FIRE, I liked it :)... I understand, just do you