Smokers Break Into Tank Farm, Blow Up 3 Tanks

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

Smokers light up at Texas oil storage facility, tanks explode, official say. Two people, a man and a woman treated for burns and taken to the hospital after showing up to the fire department seeking help. Apparently, they were tresspassing in the tank farm when they lit up, right over a oil storage tank when the vapors exploded.

Are these two classic examples of possible Darwin Award winners?

#2 Posted by thegerg (15661 posts) -

Smokers light up at Texas oil storage facility, tanks explode, official say. Two people, a man and a woman treated for burns and taken to the hospital after showing up to the fire department seeking help. Apparently, they were tresspassing in the tank farm when they lit up, right over a oil storage tank when the vapors exploded.

WhiteKnight77
"Are these two classic examples of possible Darwin Award winners?" That article doesn't give us enough information about their ability to reproduce in order to answer that question.
#3 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

[QUOTE="WhiteKnight77"]

thegerg

"Are these two classic examples of possible Darwin Award winners?" That article doesn't give us enough information about their ability to reproduce in order to answer that question.

One would hope that they don't.

#4 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6736 posts) -
Ban fire.
#5 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

Am I the only one here perplexed by the use of the term "tank farm" over the much more reasonable "tank factory"?

Edit: Or "oil storage facility" as the article calls it

#6 Posted by fl4tlined (4134 posts) -

Am I the only one here perplexed by the use of the term "tank farm" over the much more reasonable "tank factory"?

_BlueDuck_
yeah before I clicked the thread I thought the TC was making a joke about left for dead
#7 Posted by Wolfetan (7522 posts) -
Ban fire. senses_fail_06
+1
#8 Posted by dramaybaz (6020 posts) -

_BlueDuck_
Me too. A bit of a let down. :P
#9 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

What is perplexing about the term tank farm? It's a term that has been in use for as long as I can remember. A quick Google search turns up pics such as these:

#10 Posted by thegerg (15661 posts) -

What is perplexing about the term tank farm? It's a term that has been in use for as long as I can remember. A quick Google search turns up pics such as these:

WhiteKnight77
Some people think ignorance is universal.
#11 Posted by rastotm (1370 posts) -

The maintenance on these things must be exceptional. A terrorist could drop thousands of burning cigarettes out of a plane and effectively nuke the entire supply.

#12 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

WhiteKnight77

When I hear the word "tank farm" my first instinct is to think of a farmer planting small tanks in a freshly tilled field, to be watered and cared for over the growing season.