Sigh... I'm missing the old GS so much.

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Chow_Mein_Kampf (6651 posts) -

@KBFloYd:

It's more than just a simple font change, ese............

#52 Posted by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

@Curlyfrii87 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Sword-Demon said:

Yeah, things went to hell here when they allowed trolling and flaming.

People say this but without it you would have a forum as interesting as watching paint dry.

I disagree. I like having threads and conversations without idiots derailing the topic...maybe its just me.

IMO if people are getting derailed then they are the unintelligent ones. A mature mind would simply ignore it. But, part of the reason works most of the time is that it pulls strings on something most people have in abundance, ego.

#53 Edited by Glitter (353 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

what is it about the update that made everyone leave?

so the font is different... who cares?

The font is not a problem for me, I can just force fonts and I am okay with using the same font for all websites; although sometimes it does break websites or the words do not fit properly, in which case it bothers me. I notice people are doing things they would not be able to get away with in the old days if they were caught or they are doing stuff they are not supposed to be doing even now and possibly getting away with it. The moderators seem more laid back now, although this may change in the upcoming months, although I hope it never gets to the point it once was, because it was terrible how GameSpot used to operate; it was a nightmare.

What I dislike is there is no proper leveling system brought back yet and old users have all these points, where as I and other new users have literally nothing or no chance to get any points; so I will probably be at level one when the account level system comes back and have no points, if it does come back. I feel the redesign has been around long enough, so any problems that were primarily complained about should have been a priority and I feel it should have been fixed by now or almost fixed.

#54 Posted by CountBleck12 (22939 posts) -

I miss the old GS too, I preferred the old layout plus it was just more active too. I hardly visit this place now.

#55 Posted by Allicrombie (25236 posts) -

@glitter: there are people that miss the old, "rule with an iron fist" thing that mods used to have going on. =P

#56 Edited by xTheExploited (12094 posts) -

gamespot used to be so cool man.

#57 Edited by Glitter (353 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

IMO if people are getting derailed then they are the unintelligent ones. A mature mind would simply ignore it. But, part of the reason works most of the time is that it pulls strings on something most people have in abundance, ego.

Well, not everyone can be as strong as you or like you and with that I have to commend you for being able to be stronger than I ever will, but some people are extremely sensitive and care about how people treat them, even on the Internet and it does not necessarily mean they are an unintelligent one; it all depends on the situation and the person anyways. Someone who is extremely sensitive for example cannot always do something about being an extremely sensitive person and I guess the only response theses types of people would get in return is to simply not associate with others on the Internet if they are unable to ignore or not care; I know when it comes to the Internet people may not understand if someone finds care in what people do or comment to them online; such as someone like you possibly not being able to understand that not everyone can ignore it and it not always having something to do with being unintelligent.

For me, I have no choice but to ignore something if it gets to that point now a days, but not because I want to ignore it, but because I know my valid points will not reach the person and they will think as they want of me and continue to be ignorant and I have had far too many bad experiences to go down that path again; as it is emotionally painful for me, as I am truly that weak. But I feel people should not ignore it if they can, because they should not let people treat them that way if they can do something about it and the moderators should step up if they can too, to make sure ignorance like that does not happen, people should not be attacked or have to deal with stuff like that just because it is the Internet and has been excepted for all this time; so in a way I like how strict the rules used to be and in other ways I do not. Why ignore the problem? Why not stand up to the problem instead of trying to cope? Or why not want the moderators to eliminate it as they did a great job doing in the past? I feel the moderators can be your best friend or your worst enemy, depending on the situation.

#58 Posted by FojMohsin (2037 posts) -

@glitter: You know I came to a matching conclusion like yours and now I'm starting to think it must be the case but there is one more thing that comes in my mind. Care to talk to me in P.M if you don't mind?

#59 Edited by FojMohsin (2037 posts) -
@uninspiredcup said:

@Curlyfrii87 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

@Sword-Demon said:

People say this but without it you would have a forum as interesting as watching paint dry.

I disagree. I like having threads and conversations without idiots derailing the topic...maybe its just me.

But your forgetting the fact that people use abusive language that people wont just keep quite and listen. When the moderators wont do anything about them then people will get angry start to fight with each other.

#60 Edited by uninspiredcup (8993 posts) -

I haven't seen any abusive language. But eh, you'd been here a billion years.

#61 Posted by Boddicker (2803 posts) -

I miss being able to post pics and gifs. I'm on Windows 7, but when I click on the icon the screen just gets dark.

#62 Posted by lazyhoboguy (1678 posts) -

The blogging part of this site is dead after the redesign because they deleted the tracked user blogs section. It allowed you to see the newest blogs from all your friends. Now it's impossible to find new blogs by your friends. This is the absolute worst part of the redesign imo.

#63 Posted by s_h_a_d_o (1295 posts) -

@lazyhoboguy said:

The blogging part of this site is dead after the redesign because they deleted the tracked user blogs section. It allowed you to see the newest blogs from all your friends. Now it's impossible to find new blogs by your friends. This is the absolute worst part of the redesign imo.

This.

#64 Posted by BravoOneActual (563 posts) -

@s_h_a_d_o said:

@lazyhoboguy said:

This.

And this.

#65 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

I miss it as well; the old layout was so much better. I also miss having levels, even though my continuous infringement of the TOS kept me at level 30.

#66 Posted by SolidSnake35 (58110 posts) -

I thought the change would be a springboard for them to do interesting things. But they did the usual and left things to rot again. I imagine no one is employed to develop the site... either that or they employ chimpanzees.

#67 Posted by JimB (241 posts) -

Game Spot was supposed to be about the games. Now you have a hard time navigating this site to find out anything about games. I belonged to several unions and I can't find them either. This new site is not worth coming to any longer. I used to visit the site every day now it is when I happen to think about wanting to look to see if there is anything worth reading. For the most part it is a waste of time.

#68 Posted by michael_1234576 (8620 posts) -

it seems like every time i come back after a bit of time spent away this type of topic is always near the top lolo

#69 Posted by Sword-Demon (6970 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

@Sword-Demon said:

I can see how you'd think that since you joined after the change, but this place was so much better before.

the forums were 10x more active, threads would be off the front page within minutes, now it takes days for that to happen.

actual discussions took place.

trolls actually had talent. in order to not get caught/banned, they had to be clever. A good troll could make a 1000+ post thread of rage without anyone realizing he was trolling. now we have "I got a hooker pregnant 3 days ago, derp"

insults had to be equally as clever.

you think it was boring here before? no, what we have now is boring.

#70 Posted by whipassmt (14035 posts) -

@Nuck81 said:

It's not the change, but the fact that the forums are so slow now. I only log in a few times a week, because I simply don't have the patience.

Yeah and I could only post once on each thread. After posting the reply and quote buttons no longer appear and if I want to post again (for instance reply to another post), I have to go out of the thread and then go back in.

#71 Posted by FojMohsin (2037 posts) -

@BluRayHiDef said:

I miss it as well; the old layout was so much better. I also miss having levels, even though my continuous infringement of the TOS kept me at level 30.

Ahhh the level system was great. I finally reached level 30 some how if I remember correct and I was so proud of it. :D

#72 Posted by FojMohsin (2037 posts) -

@lazyhoboguy: I use to get good amount of comments on my blogs but last time I got zero comments lol. It really made me sad to know that everything is ruined. :/

#73 Edited by JIT93 (5590 posts) -

Yeah, I miss it too,

I became an active member at around 7th grade, where I would go to the faqs section (owned by gamefaqs) and wanted to participate. I remember using my PSP's browser to browse the System Wars and eventually the OT section.

I've gotten so many (what's now called memes) pictures from the site and posted it towards Facebook, which gave rise to my popularity in high school heh.
Now that i'm in my 3rd year of college (8 years later) and I feel sad that this site is dying out, but I think it is all a part of growing up, I guess.

Ugh, what sucks is that transition between college and high school. Everything that you used to like is either gone or is going to be. Gamespot is no different.

#74 Edited by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

GameSpot was the best from 1998-2006. Than everybody left or got fired, and the reviews went to shit.

#75 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -
@Sword-Demon said:

trolls actually had talent. in order to not get caught/banned, they had to be clever. A good troll could make a 1000+ post thread of rage without anyone realizing he was trolling. now we have "I got a hooker pregnant 3 days ago, derp"

I agree with this the older trolls were way better than the ones today.

#76 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@JimB said:

Game Spot was supposed to be about the games. Now you have a hard time navigating this site to find out anything about games. I belonged to several unions and I can't find them either. This new site is not worth coming to any longer. I used to visit the site every day now it is when I happen to think about wanting to look to see if there is anything worth reading. For the most part it is a waste of time.

no doubt. it's laughable when I get to the page I want on this site quicker by googling than actually searching on this site. the structure of this site is abysmal.

as well, i'm like the others who enjoyed the past bantering and lively/trolling discussions, lol.