Sigh... I'm missing the old GS so much.

• 74 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 FojMohsin
Member since 2009 • 2068 Posts

I can't believe I was the one telling everyone to look forward to the new GS and now I'm the one suffering the most :/. I miss those days back when I joined GS in 2009. Most of my friends have gone now. :(

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
@FojMohsin said:

I can't believe I was the one telling everyone to look forward to the new GS and now I'm the one suffering the most :/. I miss those days back when I joined GS in 2009. Most of my friends have gone now. :(

You miss people who you never met, but spoke to on an online forum, 5 years ago?

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 FojMohsin

@Nibroc420: Spoke to them for 5 years on my blogs. And yes I miss them because this place use to be fun back then.

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

I wasn't expecting the new site to mess things up either. I was wrong. :(

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

Yeah, me too.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@johnd13 said:

The community was disappearing before the update. Whether gamespot changed or not it wouldn't be much different.

4myAmuzumament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 4myAmuzumament
Member since 2013 • 1791 Posts

your avatar is Vegeta from GT, you deserve any and all sorrow that comes your way. >:(

johnd13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 johnd13
Member since 2011 • 11125 Posts

@ferrari2001 said:

@johnd13 said:

The community was disappearing before the update. Whether gamespot changed or not it wouldn't be much different.

True enough but the change gave it the finishing blow. A lot of users claim they left because of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts

It's not the change, but the fact that the forums are so slow now. I only log in a few times a week, because I simply don't have the patience.

VaguelyTagged

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By VaguelyTagged
Member since 2009 • 10702 Posts

i think most of us do, but we figured nothing good would ever come out of whining. well unless there was a chance the update could be reversed? is there?

mindstorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mindstorm
Member since 2003 • 15255 Posts

I mostly miss being able to have rational conversation regarding philosophy and religion. Trolls used to be easier to avoid.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FojMohsin

@johnd13:

@johnd13 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@johnd13 said:

True enough but the change gave it the finishing blow. A lot of users claim they left because of it.

You're right. It's true that many users left GS before this update but there were still many users and blogging was still alive. But now when this new update came everything changed. Blogging is completely gone and things are so messed up and difficult to understand now. Instead of it being user friendly, it's more annoying now.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FojMohsin

GS has been downgrading with each of it's update instead of upgrading. Why fix something that is already fixed? Instead they broke the site again and again that was already fine.

insanegame377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 insanegame377
Member since 2013 • 392 Posts

If people were already leaving the forum, I doubt changing the site would make much difference. Perhaps Gamespot changed the site in the hope it would stop people from leaving, then it backfired?

ArmoredCore55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ArmoredCore55
Member since 2005 • 24939 Posts

I miss the old GS, too, especially the unions, UCBs, emblems, username color, etc. I also miss how the blogs were on the main profile.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Destructiods new forum is pretty good. It's currently very inactive but has a lot of potential. The first 10 posts are moderator approved to stop spam and trolls. That would probably explain why it's pretty inactive. None the less, what community exists, is pretty decent. None of the angry little ego driven children you typically get on gaming related forums.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Yeah, things went to hell here when they allowed trolling and flaming.

Mods were way too uptight before that, but the changes were a massive over-correction.

Now they went and screwed things up even more.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

@Sword-Demon: imo, the only reason the turnaround felt bad was because of how strict things were before that.

Given that people had to watch a lot of what was said here at the time (I personally hated it), once things were loosened up, several began taking full advantage of that with the boards becoming full of shitposting as a result.

The best thing they could've done was to just not change the rules at all around the mid 00's.

Anyway, I mostly only used a few boards every now and then before the change. The new site is a little overly hardware intensive though, and post formatting is complete shit seriously, it's fucking terrible

dominer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By dominer
Member since 2005 • 3316 Posts

I remember back when getting a thread to 500 posts used to be a common thing.

Now you're lucky to see one make it to 100...

Behardy24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23 Behardy24
Member since 2014 • 5324 Posts

@dominer: That is sadly so true.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

@johnd13 said:

@ferrari2001 said:

@johnd13 said:

this.

the site was decently active before the redesign. enough to want to keep coming back to post.

then once the redesign took place, we basically lost 85% of users.

now its a barren wasteland.

though i will say, i have noticed a bit more activity these past few days.

XilePrincess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 XilePrincess
Member since 2008 • 13130 Posts

I'm trying to start posting again. I liked OT and (most) of the users here. The redesign of the forums is just annoying. I liked the old format better.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By FojMohsin

@XilePrincess: The redesign does look very cool but it's really annoying actually. Everything is so complicated and glitchy. I'm also trying to find something to start posting again but blogging is dead and unions are no more and I hate forums as it's too much trolling and spamming here. :(

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 FojMohsin

@4myAmuzumament: Seriously man, what did I ever do to you that you hate my avatar so much. :'(

kennysal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kennysal
Member since 2014 • 52 Posts

What did it use to be like? I just joined like a few weeks ago..

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FojMohsin

@kennysal said:

What did it use to be like? I just joined like a few weeks ago..

Believe me dude, you've missed a lot then. It used to be a great place a few years back. It use to be very active and blogging and unions were the biggest part of GS. It was very different from how it is now.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 FojMohsin

@dominer: And I use to get 30 or 40 comments at max on my blogs once and now I get 0. -____-

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

I too miss the old days... however, GS has changed the forums 2 or 3 times since I've been here, and it has always taken a while, after the change, to get the momentum back.

Now days, i have to agree with Nuck81... I just don't have the patents to wait on the posting. Years ago, i could barely respond to a post before 12 more were there, and mine was lost in the archives!

#memories

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38668 Posts

i guess you have 3 options, complain about it, try to make it better as a user, or leave.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 FojMohsin

@Curlyfrii87 said:

I too miss the old days... however, GS has changed the forums 2 or 3 times since I've been here, and it has always taken a while, after the change, to get the momentum back.

Now days, i have to agree with Nuck81... I just don't have the patents to wait on the posting. Years ago, i could barely respond to a post before 12 more were there, and mine was lost in the archives!

#memories

Haha true enough. :D

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#35 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

@Sword-Demon said:

People say this but without it you would have a forum as interesting as watching paint dry.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I think the only thing I did not like about the old GameSpot is how the moderators used to operate, it was just so bad and people would always be complaining on "Ask the Mods" and the over all way the moderators acted was a huge mess. But then again, I dislike how they operate now and wish things would be more strict as people are doing stuff they never be able to get away with in the past and I even see some moderators doing stuff that moderators would have never done in the past and would have moderated a non-moderator for doing. I just do not want the moderators to be severely strict as they were in the old days as it was very bad and depressing; even before 2009 it was very bad from what I remember.

I feel the website change was a serious mistake, other than I was able to sign up for a nice username that was originally wasted. People have left, the website is slow, and it is not as lively as before. I used to see GameSpot as the most active message board I ever knew and I did have my differences with people at times and did not handle it in the past, the way I would now; which I regret.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 FojMohsin

@Ackad said:

@FojMohsin said:

No offense, but you haven't really experienced GameSpot's golden years which were between the years 05-08.

I agree with you. But I've been using GS since 2006-07 actually but never really made an account here. Though I still agree that back then this site was the best place for me for digging up games and reviews and all that stuff. Later on when I joined blogging became the best thing for me here.

FojMohsin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 FojMohsin
@glitter said:

I think the only thing I did not like about the old GameSpot is how the moderators used to operate, it was just so bad and people would always be complaining on "Ask the Mods" and the over all way the moderators acted was a huge mess. But then again, I dislike how they operate now and wish things would be more strict as people are doing stuff they never be able to get away with in the past and I even see some moderators doing stuff that moderators would have never done in the past and would have moderated a non-moderator for doing. I just do not want the moderators to be severely strict as they were in the old days as it was very bad and depressing; even before 2009 it was very bad from what I remember.

I feel the website change was a serious mistake, other than I was able to sign up for a nice username that was originally wasted. People have left, the website is slow, and it is not as lively as before. I used to see GameSpot as the most active message board I ever knew and I did have my differences with people at times and did not handle it in the past, the way I would now; which I regret.

I totally agree on that with you. Back then when I joined my best mate also joined GS and he liked this place much more then I did. But then after a few months he got banned all of a sudden. It's still not clear why GS banned him because he never did anything wrong. He never came to the forums and was very nice with everyone in unions. Never used bad language or anything in blogs but still GS banned him for no reason lol. And you know what he made an other account later on and he got banned again no one knows why?! O_o. That really made him feel sad and also got him angry so he never come back here.

Jak-25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Jak-25
Member since 2007 • 2475 Posts

A lot of the people from before are gone it seems.

Santesyu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#40 Santesyu
Member since 2008 • 4451 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

your avatar is Vegeta from GT, you deserve any and all sorrow that comes your way. >:(

GT does not exist its not canon if it was the newest DBZ movie would of picked up from GT but it did not Akira Toriyama is a pretty smart man. And yes I miss the old GS, I miss the old WoW, I miss the old disney and nickoloden, I miss the old MTV, progress does suck but there always have to be balance the good with the bad and vice versa.

Lance2500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 Lance2500
Member since 2009 • 680 Posts

Only been here since 2009 and I mostly lurk but I miss the old site. There was so much more activity and good threads to read.

-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#42 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts

The recent update made things a bit better

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@4myAmuzumament said:

lmfao.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts
@FojMohsin said:

I totally agree on that with you. Back then when I joined my best mate also joined GS and he liked this place much more then I did. But then after a few months he got banned all of a sudden. It's still not clear why GS banned him because he never did anything wrong. He never came to the forums and was very nice with everyone in unions. Never used bad language or anything in blogs but still GS banned him for no reason lol. And you know what he made an other account later on and he got banned again no one knows why?! O_o. That really made him feel sad and also got him angry so he never come back here.

I apologize for this late response, but I figure you are probably still wondering what may have happened to your friend on here, in fact I believe this same thing happened to someone who I saw complaining about it on YouTube year ago. I also believe GameFAQ and other websites do the same thing from what I have read and researched and that may have gotten your friend banned; this is one of those flawed systems, which results in an unfair ban. Your friend was probably banned due to an association account ban. This is when someone has more than one account under the same IP address and at least one of the accounts is banned.

How this is flawed is that in some cases, a person that simply was under the same IP address as a previously banned account and had nothing to do with that banned account in anyway, gets their account marked as an association account and then banned; this can possibly happen if you use a computer that the person who was banned did and that computer still holds the same IP that was used around the time of the banning and then you may have your account falsely determined as an association account of the banned account and the determining of this is always based on what the higher ups think, not necessarily what is true and what is not true. Basically it is up to the website or whoever to determine if it is an association account or not, even if it is an untruthful ban in the end and they made the wrong decision.

I suspect that your friend got an association account ban and then when he tried to make another account, he was banned again; resulting in an unfair ban, twice; so they probably just thought he was banned once and then banned dodged twice more where in reality he was accused of something once and banned, then banned again for assumed banned dodging. I have seen much worse however, such as automatic banning systems which are severely flawed, in which even if the reports are not accurate or not entirely accurate or the person simply thought you did something wrong but you did not or whatever the case may be, you get auto banned if there are enough reports as a result; regardless of if the reports are true or not.

codymcclain14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#45  Edited By codymcclain14
Member since 2010 • 6017 Posts

I haven't been on here in forever, and it has changed allot. I like the ideal but its being slow and glitchy allot for me. I did enjoy the old layout better.

Not knowing anyone now isn't that bad for me, because before nearly everyone always gave me trouble or a hard time for being "diffrent". :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

@mindstorm said:

I mostly miss being able to have rational conversation regarding philosophy and religion. Trolls used to be easier to avoid.

Agreed. The large majority here now are a bunch of d-bags trying to get a rise out of people.

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

I miss everyone..........

I also miss decent topics...............

Avatar image for Chow_Mein_Kampf
Chow_Mein_Kampf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Chow_Mein_Kampf
Member since 2012 • 6203 Posts

Also miss OTAH...........

Good times, good times..........

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#49  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

what is it about the update that made everyone leave?

so the font is different... who cares?

Curlyfrii87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Curlyfrii87
Member since 2004 • 15057 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@Sword-Demon said:

People say this but without it you would have a forum as interesting as watching paint dry.

I disagree. I like having threads and conversations without idiots derailing the topic...maybe its just me.