Should there be a cut off point for government benefits?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

I live in NYC Queens and the number of people in poverty is rising. Many are job less or simply don't want to look for a job. Most of the high schools here in NYC perform poorly, high school drop out rates are high, and even if you do get a college degree you're still doing fast food work. Poor people in poverty.... get free living costs in the housing projects here which means no bills to pay, food stamps, welfare checks, furthermore they get money from the government for the number of kids they have. If they have 8 babies that would mean roughly $400 a month for each baby. $400 times 8 is $3200 per month. Poor people in poverty get 100% free medicare, and they actually get money for going to community college through financial aid. How is it fair that the middle and high class have to work, pay bills and high taxes (NYC has one of highest taxes in the nation), pay for food and medicare, etc. when poor people in poverty can just sit back and get free money?

Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
Meh, there are those who produce, and those who feed off those who produce. This is how it has always been.
LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LegitGamer3212

Meh, there are those who produce, and those who feed off those who produce. This is how it has always been.Zeviander

so whats the point of getting a college degree, then waking up 6am to goto work, when these people just relax at home watching TV getting paid?

MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MrPraline
Member since 2008 • 21351 Posts

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Meh, there are those who produce, and those who feed off those who produce. This is how it has always been.LegitGamer3212

so whats the point of getting a college degree, then waking up 6am to goto work, when these people just relax at home watching TV getting paid?

Taking care of 8 kids in NYC with 3200 a month is relaxing? I'd rather take a bullet.
LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 LegitGamer3212

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Meh, there are those who produce, and those who feed off those who produce. This is how it has always been.MrPraline

Taking care of 8 kids in NYC with 3200 a month is relaxing? I'd rather take a bullet.

well they can always get a baby sitter with the money, point is why the hell are we tax payers paying for someone else's kids?

JigglyWiggly_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 JigglyWiggly_
Member since 2009 • 24625 Posts

[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

LegitGamer3212

well they can always get a baby sitter with the money, point is why the hell are we tax payers paying for someone else's kids?

because they would literally starve themselves to death rather than work can't have that image
Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Taking care of 8 kids in NYC with 3200 a month is relaxing? I'd rather take a bullet.JigglyWiggly_

because they would literally starve themselves to death rather than work can't have that image

There goes responsibility.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Zeviander
so whats the point of getting a college degree, then waking up 6am to goto work, when these people just relax at home watching TV getting paid?LegitGamer3212
Be content with the fact you know you aren't going to be useless if a zombie apocalypse does occur?
Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fightingfan
Member since 2010 • 38011 Posts
Maybe we should tackle the things that actually use a large percentage of tax money; and not simple 'benefits/entitlements'. Complain about the wall street bailouts, not this.
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MrPraline

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Meh, there are those who produce, and those who feed off those who produce. This is how it has always been.LegitGamer3212

Because I'm providing for myself. Sure, I'm getting robbed blind by tax officerSS. Sure, nothing we pay is actually being used to provide for us. Sure, I'm funding the EU's megalomania. Sure, we're the laughing stock of the recipients. But um. Life is sh*t and while we are trapped on this prison planet, might as well make the most of it, and that certainly does not involve begging the government for a handout and a check every month. I couldn't live that way. I want to drop 200 bucks on a dinner, because f*ck it, what else is there?
MrPraline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrPraline
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Maybe we should tackle the things that actually use a large percentage of tax money; and not simple 'benefits/entitlements'. Complain about the wall street bailouts, not this.

Haha. I love the failouts. >Vote for a president who is funded by bankers with Goldman first in line >Be shocked when he bails them out Business transaction 101.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

There are people on government benefits who take advantage of the system, but by and large most people receiving them would rather be doing something else: it's not a lot of money, just enough to get by.

Most people I've known on benefits are either permanantly mentally or physically disabled (and I'm talking real disability, not faking it). Not all of them have people who would take care of them if government benefits stopped.

And then of course there's the elderly. You can't exactly expect a 72-year-old woman who needs help just to eat to get a job.

Painting everyone on government benefits with one brushstroke is like judging all Christians by the actions of the Westboro Baptist Church: it's fvcking stupid.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Fightingfan
[QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Maybe we should tackle the things that actually use a large percentage of tax money; and not simple 'benefits/entitlements'. Complain about the wall street bailouts, not this.

Haha. I love the failouts. >Vote for a president who is funded by bankers with Goldman first in line >Be shocked when he bails them out Business transaction 101.

I still can't figure out how someone like Goldman Sachs can even come close to bankruptcy.
comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts

because i live waay more comfortably by doing so....
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zeviander
I still can't figure out how someone like Goldman Sachs can even come close to bankruptcy. Fightingfan
When one's wealth is based on numbers floating around on a computer, it isn't that hard.
SpartanMSU

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SpartanMSU
Member since 2009 • 3440 Posts

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]I still can't figure out how someone like Goldman Sachs can even come close to bankruptcy. Zeviander
When one's wealth is based on numbers floating around on a computer, it isn't that hard.

I don't think you guys have any idea what i-banks even do...

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38686 Posts
[QUOTE="Fightingfan"][QUOTE="MrPraline"][QUOTE="Fightingfan"]Maybe we should tackle the things that actually use a large percentage of tax money; and not simple 'benefits/entitlements'. Complain about the wall street bailouts, not this.

I still can't figure out how someone like Goldman Sachs can even come close to bankruptcy.

when excessive risk taking is rewarded in it's employees.. it's pretty much inevitable...
Yusuke420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 Yusuke420
Member since 2012 • 2770 Posts

Safety net programs do take up a large portion of a budget, but I'd argue that they are also the most benefitial to our society. Also people cant just have infinte babies and get benefits for all of them. It's a case by case thing and every aspect of the situation is reviewed. Also with eight hungary children that need clothes and shoes, etc 3200 dollars per month really isn't anything.

Fightingfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Fightingfan

Safety net programs do take up a large portion of a budget, but I'd argue that they are also the most benefitial to our society. Also people cant just have infinte babies and get benefits for all of them. It's a case by case thing and every aspect of the situation is reviewed. Also with eight hungary children that need clothes and shoes, etc 3200 dollars per month really isn't anything.

Yusuke420
that's true, people fail to realize more money =/= more wealth. E.g My sister makes more money than me(Cash wise), but I have less expense so I actually make more money(expenses are lower/no children).
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

Yusuke420
Welfare is only beneficial to its recipients, not the ones it is being provided at the expense of.
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

Laihendi

Welfare is only beneficial to its recipients, not the ones it is being provided at the expense of.

The ones providing it do benefit. Hungry, desperate people do crazy things.

As the saying goes: "The whole world is only three meals away from anarchy."

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

br0kenrabbit

Hungry desperate people should just get a job or something.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 br0kenrabbit

Laihendi

You act like there's no such thing as 'working poor'. Or 'permanently disabled'. Or 'looking 12 hours a day for work but no callbacks." Or "My kid had a life-threatening medical emergency that insurance refused to cover/reached annual limit/reached lifetime limit and now we owe more than we'll make in a decade", or...

Circumstances can be a b1tch. Hit 30 then call me back.

Tykain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Tykain
Member since 2008 • 3887 Posts

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Welfare is only beneficial to its recipients, not the ones it is being provided at the expense of.Laihendi

There is more people than there is available jobs. So no mater what, even if every single person do everything they can to find a job there always will be unemployed people.
Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Laihendi

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]Hungry desperate people should just get a job or something.

br0kenrabbit

You act like there's no such thing as 'working poor'. Or 'permanently disabled'. Or 'looking 12 hours a day for work but no callbacks." Or "My kid had a life-threatening medical emergency that insurance refused to cover/reached annual limit/reached lifetime limit and now we owe more than we'll make in a decade", or...

Regardless of people having any of those problems, they are still better off trying to find adequate work for themselves (or receiving training to become qualified for adequate work) than looting/rioting or whatever you meant by crazy things. @ Tykain - Can you cite a source for that claim?
Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Laihendi

Regardless of people having any of those problems, they are still better off trying to find adequate work for themselves (or receiving training to become qualified for adequate work) than looting/rioting or whatever you meant by crazy things. @ Tykain - Can you cite a source for that claim?

Your picture is a bulbasaur...Wake the fxck up.
Avatar image for HouseMuzik4Life
HouseMuzik4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HouseMuzik4Life
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
Im not on welfare when I actually should be (student, no jobs available right now due to the xmas rush, maybe next month) and Im starving all the time, if it wasnt for my GF bringing me dinner I'd be crying in pain...I couldnt imagine a mother and child without money right now.
Diablo-B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 Diablo-B
Member since 2009 • 4063 Posts

What the fvck are you talking about OP. Im from NYC born and raised. And most of the nonsense you said is either false or overstated. College grads are finding work better than fast food. Poor people are not getting paid to go to college. The high school drop out rate is below the national average. And only the most impoverished families get the benefits you described.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

It is as it always has been.

Those people who were born into ewalth or parents caring WAY too much about them, see no point in welfare programs.

They rarely wake up and smell the real world before thier world crumbles.

Yeah there really are ALOT of people who needs said programs, the majority are not abusing said systems, since life becomes eeriely empty without a job to bring you the social connections you need. Most are physically ill, mentally ill, or just plain old.

And we then have this odd group of utterly amazingly selfcentered people who cares for no one but themselves, if they had it thier way society WILL stop existing due to theier lack of understanding and goodwill.

Everyone depends on one another in society and any society SHOULD be able to take care of thier weak. A good guess would be that ALOT of ex soldiers are on welfare due to mental problems, complain about the people who went out there to rish life and become broken for the sakes of people who complain about them? No that is not fair. Complain about people in areas without jobs getting supported till there are jobs? go have a vecation in Sibiria, preferretly permanently.

It basicly sickens me when people who knows next to nothing about the real world protest about things they know nothing about, take a trip outside your safehaven, see how the world really is, and come back to us. Then you can go stuff your egocentric way of life.

When that is said, there should be some semblence of control that the system is not abused. Although it would not take much before that control will cost more then the actual welfare XD

The world is not as simple as some people belives, others have stated this, people who have grown up WAY too sheltered has no understanding of how reality can be, those people should seek out to widen thier horizon, learn the world. But they won't they are way too comfortable with parents sheltering them throughout thier entire life.

(If I may sound bitter it is because I have seen how people live, and why they get welfare, and how many reasons there can be and how justified it really can be.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Laihendi

How old are you? You sound pampered.

Like Isaid: circumstances can be a b!tch. Get a little experience with having to deal with unexpected events and not having mom and dad around to bail you out.

People love to rag on the less fortunate until fate strikes them with bad fortune, then they're first in line for any help they can get because dammit, they deserve it. I've seen it.

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="MrPraline"] Taking care of 8 kids in NYC with 3200 a month is relaxing? I'd rather take a bullet.JigglyWiggly_

let them. noyhing of value lost

Avatar image for Cloud_Insurance
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Cloud_Insurance
Member since 2008 • 3279 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

Regardless of people having any of those problems, they are still better off trying to find adequate work for themselves (or receiving training to become qualified for adequate work) than looting/rioting or whatever you meant by crazy things. @ Tykain - Can you cite a source for that claim?br0kenrabbit

How old are you? You sound pampered.

Like Isaid: circumstances can be a b!tch. Get a little experience with having to deal with unexpected events and not having mom and dad around to bail you out.

People love to rag on the less fortunate until fate strikes them with bad fortune, then they're first in line for any help they can get because dammit, they deserve it. I've seen it.

His tumblr is indicative of a small child.

Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Welfare is only beneficial to its recipients, not the ones it is being provided at the expense of.Laihendi

Yeah they should work in a restaurant providing you a service and then live off their tips...oh wait.

ZX81plus3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 ZX81plus3
Member since 2012 • 181 Posts
[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Laihendi

What job do you propose someone living with quadriplegia should get? Seriously, your argument is totally unrealistic.
LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 LegitGamer3212

What the fvck are you talking about OP. Im from NYC born and raised. And most of the nonsense you said is either false or overstated. College grads are finding work better than fast food. Poor people are not getting paid to go to college. The high school drop out rate is below the national average. And only the most impoverished families get the benefits you described.

Diablo-B

How the hell are college grads finding work when most are unemployed because of the economy? I know someone who's going to community college in Queens who's in poverty and gets $3000 a semester for expenses such as transportation, books, meals, however, he uses the money to goto bars and drink. His tuition is payed for by the government, but he must maintain above 2.0 GPA which is very easy. The high shcool drop out rate was just below 50% last time I checked and the "impact schools", are closing because of extremely bad performance. I was born and raised in NYC Queens, I have a B.A degree.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LegitGamer3212

[QUOTE="JigglyWiggly_"][QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

LostProphetFLCL

let them. noyhing of value lost

thats kind of my point. These people who are capable of working are NOT even trying to find work, because if they did find work there benefits would be cut off. I agree that legitimately disabled people deserve benefits, but does someone having 8-10 babies deserve all that money? does a 25 year old man with no disabilities deserve welfare checks and food stamps? If they really just sit around and leech off tax payers the contribute nothing, and nothing of value would be lost if they didn't exist.

Nibroc420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Nibroc420
Member since 2007 • 13571 Posts
[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Tykain

There is more people than there is available jobs. So no mater what, even if every single person do everything they can to find a job there always will be unemployed people.

This is simply not true.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#39 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

[QUOTE="Zeviander"]Meh, there are those who produce, and those who feed off those who produce. This is how it has always been.MrPraline

Because I'm providing for myself. Sure, I'm getting robbed blind by tax officerSS. Sure, nothing we pay is actually being used to provide for us. Sure, I'm funding the EU's megalomania. Sure, we're the laughing stock of the recipients. But um. Life is sh*t and while we are trapped on this prison planet, might as well make the most of it, and that certainly does not involve begging the government for a handout and a check every month. I couldn't live that way. I want to drop 200 bucks on a dinner, because f*ck it, what else is there?

Am I accurate in guessing that "funding the EU's megalomania" is what irritates you the most on that list?

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#40 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="Laihendi"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Cloud_Insurance

Yeah they should work in a restaurant providing you a service and then live off their tips...oh wait.

Is he the one that said he doesn't tip?

no-scope-AK47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 no-scope-AK47
Member since 2012 • 3755 Posts

I live in NYC Queens and the number of people in poverty is rising. Many are job less or simply don't want to look for a job. Most of the high schools here in NYC perform poorly, high school drop out rates are high, and even if you do get a college degree you're still doing fast food work. Poor people in poverty.... get free living costs in the housing projects here which means no bills to pay, food stamps, welfare checks, furthermore they get money from the government for the number of kids they have. If they have 8 babies that would mean roughly $400 a month for each baby. $400 times 8 is $3200 per month. Poor people in poverty get 100% free medicare, and they actually get money for going to community college through financial aid. How is it fair that the middle and high class have to work, pay bills and high taxes (NYC has one of highest taxes in the nation), pay for food and medicare, etc. when poor people in poverty can just sit back and get free money?

LegitGamer3212

If you think it is so easy become broke and go get some kids then collect money :lol:

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="Tykain"][QUOTE="Laihendi"] Hungry desperate people should just get a job or something.

Nibroc420

This is simply not true.

Yes it is, there are 4 unemployed workers for every 1 job opening.

ohhhhh

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"][QUOTE="Tykain"] There is more people than there is available jobs. So no mater what, even if every single person do everything they can to find a job there always will be unemployed people.LostProphetFLCL

This is simply not true.

ohhhhh

dude, don't shatter his illusio.....er.....belief of equal opportunity in this nation.
Cloud_Insurance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Cloud_Insurance

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

[QUOTE="Laihendi"] Hungry desperate people should just get a job or something.

whipassmt

Correct. And from his posts and his tumblr I am pretty sure he is still a dependent who has no real world living experience

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="Cloud_Insurance"]

Cloud_Insurance

Correct. And from his posts and his tumblr I am pretty sure he is still a dependent who has no real world living experience

sounds about right.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 LostProphetFLCL

[QUOTE="LostProphetFLCL"]

[QUOTE="Nibroc420"] This is simply not true.Rich3232

ohhhhh

dude, don't shatter his illusio.....er.....belief of equal opportunity in this nation.

Choice.

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
The cutoff point should be zero. You say government benefits, I say armed robbery. It makes no difference that it's the government doing it.
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 LostProphetFLCL

The cutoff point should be zero. You say government benefits, I say armed robbery. It makes no difference that it's the government doing it.famicommander
Here.

I think you'd feel more at home at this site.

JoGoSo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 JoGoSo
Member since 2012 • 441 Posts

Cutoffs are unreliable but I think expectations should be implemented. Welfare for low income workers makes more sense than for those who don't work.

I'm not sure about financial aid unless it's to get diploma's. College education in and of itself is overrated without a purpose beyond a job.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
People like this shouldnt be allowed on welfare http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5tqH7UrzOw