Should the US and the EU have a free trade agreement?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

I think they should, a free trade agreement between the EU and the US could boost US and EU economic growth by more than $100 billion annually, and it could also add $420 billion per year to the global economy and create some two million jobs. 

What do you guys think, good idea or bad idea?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
I think pretty much the whole western world should have free trading. We are practically a unified single political entity on the world stage.
dramaybaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dramaybaz
Member since 2005 • 6020 Posts
I would finally be able to get cheaper electronics!
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deeliman

I vote no because, being a U.S. citizen, we would make less $$$ as we export more to Europe then import.

roulettethedog
No, that's not the case at all. How do you think the US would lose money?
outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4223 Posts
[QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

I vote no because, being a U.S. citizen, we would make less $$$ as we export more to Europe then import.

deeliman

The value of the dollar would go down. China exports their products here, look how strong the dollar is compared to the RMB.
deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deeliman
[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

outworld222

The value of the dollar would go down. China exports their products here, look how strong the dollar is compared to the RMB.

The value of the dollar going down is actually a good thing, as it makes their exports more competitive. Oh, and BTW, the US imports more from the EU then it exports to it.
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="deeliman"] No, that's not the case at all. How do you think the US would lose money?deeliman

The value of the dollar going down is actually a good thing, as it makes their exports more competitive. Oh, and BTW, the US imports more from the EU then it exports to it.

The falling Dollar is a two edge sword it makes exporting cheaper but makes importing goods more expensive and unfortunately the US Imports alot more than it exports.

coolbeans90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 coolbeans90
Member since 2009 • 21305 Posts

Definitely.

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deeliman

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="outworld222"] The value of the dollar would go down. China exports their products here, look how strong the dollar is compared to the RMB.Newhopes

The falling Dollar is a two edge sword it makes exporting cheaper but makes importing goods more expensive and unfortunately the US Imports alot more than it exports.

The benefits still far outweigh the costs, if there are even any costs at all, as I don't think the dollar value would go down from a free trade agreement, if I'm wrong on this please correct me.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

roulettethedog

You've got  the other way around. The U.S. has a trade deficit of about $100 billion dollars with the E.U., and net exporters experience an increase in national income.

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="roulettethedog"]

outworld222

Net exporters experience a strengthening of their currency, and the renminbi has been appreciating significantly against the dollar since 2010.

[QUOTE="deeliman"][QUOTE="outworld222"][QUOTE="deeliman"] No, that's not the case at all. How do you think the US would lose money?Newhopes

This doesn't matter very much for the United States because it has the global reserve currency and buys imports in dollars.
Newhopes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Newhopes
Member since 2009 • 4775 Posts

[QUOTE="Newhopes"]

[QUOTE="deeliman"] The value of the dollar going down is actually a good thing, as it makes their exports more competitive. Oh, and BTW, the US imports more from the EU then it exports to it. Barbariser

This doesn't matter very much for the United States because it has the global reserve currency and buys imports in dollars.

And thats one of the problems and the reasons the US dollar and economy is at risk of collapsing many countries are moving away from the dollar as a reserve currency.

Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#15 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

[QUOTE="Barbariser"]

[QUOTE="Newhopes"]

Newhopes

And thats one of the problems and the reasons the US dollar and economy is at risk of collapsing many countries are moving away from the dollar as a reserve currency.

The primary and only real competitor for the U.S. dollar as a reserve currency is the Euro, which is in an even worse position by all measures.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
If governments have to make an agreement it's by definition managed trade. They should attain free trade by simply removing all artificial barriers to trade. And yes, true free trade is always good.
Ravenous_Joker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Ravenous_Joker
Member since 2013 • 297 Posts
I would be open to that idea.