Should the time change (Spring Forward) be discontinued?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts

I think it should, I've stumbled upon good reasons online in the past, where this Spring forward thing isn't so great and effective after all.

Not sure if other countries other than America do it, if so then I think they should discontinue it soon, along with many states in North America. I mean I can see Northern States that get a lot of snow still consider doing it, to try and get more daylight with all the dark cold snowy days (though I know it just makes dusk an hour longer instead of dawn an hour earlier, daytime does not really get increased.)

States that still do it with warmer climates (such as California and Florida) makes even less sense.

The negatives I know it can do is also disrupt sleep schedules, you lose an hour when this Spring forward occurs, and with less sleep comes less healthiness and more crankiness. And worst of all, I hear that it can even increase heart attacks, yikes. I definitely don't like the sounds of that.

Anyway yeah, I think America really should get a move on with this, and at the very least, slowly but surely have more and more States discontinue it. So far so many years have gone by with no change in this. Let's really start to get going with this slowpoke. :P

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#2 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

Well, regarding the sleep schedule that sorts itself out in like 48 hours. Just like when traveling to another time zone. There is a period to adjust and then it's done.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

Yeah it's pretty dumb but I do like having extra day light if need be. Maybe these health issues is the real reason they do this. "They" seem to control everything, even our time.

Celldrax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Celldrax
Member since 2005 • 15053 Posts

You mean daylight savings? Pretty much the whole bottom right of Australia does that.

I've personally never cared for it and makes little difference to me.

It's seems to be something we just like to use for longer daylight hours in the summer, though it still lasts for seven fucking whole months before we change back each time.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#5 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

This is all just from when Nazi germany was falling to cut the costs on light, gas and fuel it is outdated and doesn't give us any proffits so i'd say let it stay this way!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#6 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Doesn't bother me at all. If you're worried about getting one less hour sleep twice a year then go to bed an hour earlier in those 2 days.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@korvus said:

Doesn't bother me at all. If you're worried about getting one less hour sleep twice a year then go to bed an hour earlier in those 2 days.

It's only once per year, really. The other time you get an extra hour of sleep.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@korvus said:

It's only once per year, really. The other time you get an extra hour of sleep.

True XD Brain fart.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts
Loading Video...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@comp_atkins: Who are all these idiots who are losing an hour sleep anyway? =P

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38675 Posts

@korvus said:

@comp_atkins: Who are all these idiots who are losing an hour sleep anyway? =P

i guess unlucky people who have to work on sundays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@comp_atkins: Maybe they can just wash the dishes the next day and go to bed early? Just because the hour changes doesn't mean you still have to go the bed when the clock is at the "right number".

raugutcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By raugutcon
Member since 2014 • 5576 Posts

@Toph_Girl250 said:

I think it should, I've stumbled upon good reasons online in the past, where this Spring forward thing isn't so great and effective after all.

Not sure if other countries other than America do it, if so then I think they should discontinue it soon, along with many states in North America. I mean I can see Northern States that get a lot of snow still consider doing it, to try and get more daylight with all the dark cold snowy days (though I know it just makes dusk an hour longer instead of dawn an hour earlier, daytime does not really get increased.)

States that still do it with warmer climates (such as California and Florida) makes even less sense.

The negatives I know it can do is also disrupt sleep schedules, you lose an hour when this Spring forward occurs, and with less sleep comes less healthiness and more crankiness. And worst of all, I hear that it can even increase heart attacks, yikes. I definitely don't like the sounds of that.

Anyway yeah, I think America really should get a move on with this, and at the very least, slowly but surely have more and more States discontinue it. So far so many years have gone by with no change in this. Let's really start to get going with this slowpoke. :P

Are you for real ? loosing one full hour of sleep as an argument is just an idiotic argument.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By brimmul777  Online
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@raugutcon said:

@Toph_Girl250 said:

Are you for real ? loosing one full hour of sleep as an argument is just an idiotic argument.

Don't let him get you down Toph_Girl250.I agree with you on this subject.Us Canadians don't like the hour change either.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56071 Posts

@brimmul777 said:

@raugutcon said:

@Toph_Girl250 said:

Don't let him get you down Toph_Girl250.I agree with you on this subject.Us Canadians don't like the hour change either.

Yeah I agree with Toph-Girl250 as well. It's not the sleep that bothers me losing an hour, it's the fact that it get's dark way too early which I hate and I like seeing the Sunset down like around 8PM-9PM and I live in the East-South parts of U.S.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 deactivated-5acfa3a8bc51d
Member since 2005 • 7914 Posts

Daylight saving should be optional

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@playmynutz said:

Daylight saving should be optional

What do you mean I'm late? I just don't 'do' DLS...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Saskatchewan already ignores it, and they do fine.

I'd also really like to know who here really knows what it is for.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23031 Posts

Just stop mucking with it. Every time some location decided to change the schedule a few weeks, or stop it for a year, or give sub-localities the option of doing it or not (I'm looking at you, Indiana), it screws makes me to a lot of work, costs you a lot of money, and introduces a lot of unnecessary risk into systems.

To sum it up succinctly, it requires software changes - way more that most people realize. Which then places business risk in things like JIT order systems, Which then places legal risk into things that track invoices, contracts, audit trails, etc.

Do it, don't, we all just need to decide.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#20 brimmul777  Online
Member since 2011 • 6089 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

Saskatchewan already ignores it, and they do fine.

I'd also really like to know who here really knows what it is for.

I'm not sure exactly why the hour change,I think it has something to do with the first world war,not sure though.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178844 Posts

Maybe we should just stay on daylights saving time and not change the clock in the fall.....ha.

Avatar image for YearoftheSnake5
YearoftheSnake5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#22 YearoftheSnake5
Member since 2005 • 9716 Posts

Yes. They tease me in the fall by giving me an extra hour of sleep, only to knock it forward in the spring. We don't need it, so let's get rid of it.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

It's so... annoying..

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I didn't mind DST when I lived in other states. I'm happy Arizona doesn't have it though. Now, we have a number of analog clocks (plus a number of digital alarm clocks) all over the house that would need to be adjusted if we had it.

TAMKFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 172

#25 TAMKFan
Member since 2004 • 33350 Posts

I'm pretty neutral on this. Whether Daylights Saving Time stays around or not, I don't really care.

Wilfred_Owen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#26 Wilfred_Owen
Member since 2005 • 20964 Posts

Move to Arizona. There. Dream came true.

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

Yeah, daylight savings is silly. I like it better when it gets dark later. I don't need darkness at 17:45 during the winter thanks.

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

@TAMKFan said:

I'm pretty neutral on this. Whether Daylights Saving Time stays around or not, I don't really care.

Same here.

Ryagan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 1

#29 Ryagan
Member since 2009 • 532 Posts

No. It's not really not a big deal. There are better things to complain about.