Should the TC have the right to have a thread locked?

• 100 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -

I saw a thread go on for several days and generate a lot of discussion.  The TC did not like the way the thread turned and so asked that it be locked. Which a mod obliged. 

My question to OT is if a thread is successful in conversation should the TC have the right to end the discussion merely because he created the thread?   I say....no.  What say you?

#2 Posted by TruthTellers (3393 posts) -
It would be helpful if you told us the thread in question.
#3 Posted by WhiteKnight77 (12018 posts) -

As long as it stays on topic and does not become an off topic slagfest, there is no need to shut it down or have it shut down.

#4 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
It would be helpful if you told us the thread in question.TruthTellers
Oh I mean in general...but for instance the Bible quote was requested and locked just off the top of my head.
#5 Posted by lostrib (42006 posts) -

should be able to ask for a lock, but up to the mods if they actually do

#6 Posted by nomsayin (1346 posts) -

Wow an LJS topic..this is a rarity.

Anyways, nah, I don't think so. What happens if there's a debate and the TC is losing hard. To help save his e-image, he will purposefully lock the thread. 

#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -

lostrib
I have not seen a mod ignore that request.
#8 Posted by lostrib (42006 posts) -

[QUOTE="lostrib"]

LJS9502_basic

well that's how I think it should happen.  But idk how the mods handle it

#9 Posted by frannkzappa (3003 posts) -

No,it defeats the point of mods and forums in general.

#10 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="lostrib"]

lostrib

well that's how I think it should happen.  But idk how the mods handle it

They just lock it and leave....usually saying locked at TC's request....
#11 Posted by BossPerson (9117 posts) -

LJ has made a thread...... today is a special day in recent OT history

And no, TC shouldn't have the "right" to have his thread closed

#12 Posted by zeroyaoi (1972 posts) -
Don't see the issue. Someone else could make a similar topic if its interesting.
#13 Posted by konvikt_17 (22336 posts) -

*Postin in an LJS thread*:D

i think the TC should be able to request a lock. the acting mod should then determine if the thread needs to be locked or not.

#14 Posted by frannkzappa (3003 posts) -

wait.... holy **** LJS made a thread.

#15 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
I mean I'm only asking because I've noticed some decent discussions get locked because of the request.
#16 Posted by Starchaser187 (451 posts) -
Depends. Some threads, while they might have good intentions or a genuine interest, can get unintentionally divisive and embarrassing. I think the TC should at least be able to request for an end in a discussion, but it's up to the mods if they actually go through with it
#17 Posted by jimkabrhel (15425 posts) -

I don't think such things should be in the direct control of the TC. You'll see threads lock off too quickly. OT would be more boring that it is now.

#18 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6627 posts) -
No, once they unleash the flood gates they must learn to deal with the coming storm unless its one of those "whoops that dude made the same thread before me about insert-news-article-here mod lock please."
#19 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -
Tcs should learn how to abandon a thread and understand that it isn't a mark on them if it goes south. And people should let people fight and go of topic. Like that one thread Hallen locked the other day
#20 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
Tcs should learn how to abandon a thread and understand that it isn't a mark on them if it goes south. And people should let people fight and go of topic. Like that one thread Hallen locked the other daydave123321
The one that was the only lively thread in OT at the time? Bullying I think?
#21 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

In my view, threads get locked too frequently here in the GS forums.  Once you start a thread it takes on a life of its own and isn't exclusively yours any more.  If you object to the course a thread has taken, just stop following it, don't try to prevent others from posting who are still interested in it.  The only time a thread should be locked is if the tone becomes abusive, as in the case of cyberbullying, or offensive in ways that are not socially acceptable, as in the cases of racism, homophobia, religious intolerance, etc.  Otherwise, threads are pretty much self-enforcing.  If a thread doesn't generate interest it will die off.  If a thread thrives, it's because enough people are interested in it, so let it run its course without interference.

#22 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -

As long as it stays on topic and does not become an off topic slagfest, there is no need to shut it down or have it shut down.

WhiteKnight77
Slagfests can be amusing/activity
#23 Posted by airshocker (30893 posts) -

TC should have the right to keep a thread on track, asking for a mod to remove off-topic posts and such.

#24 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Tcs should learn how to abandon a thread and understand that it isn't a mark on them if it goes south. And people should let people fight and go of topic. Like that one thread Hallen locked the other dayLJS9502_basic

yeah, that's the one
#25 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -

TC should have the right to keep a thread on track, asking for a mod to remove off-topic posts and such.

airshocker
But then we can't talk about games and tv
#26 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Tcs should learn how to abandon a thread and understand that it isn't a mark on them if it goes south. And people should let people fight and go of topic. Like that one thread Hallen locked the other daydave123321

yeah, that's the one

I think at that point I blamed mods for the slow state of OT.:P
#27 Posted by airshocker (30893 posts) -

But then we can't talk about games and tvdave123321

No one says the TC has to be a tyrant.

#28 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -

[QUOTE="dave123321"]But then we can't talk about games and tvairshocker

True. But we have many tyrants in the making
#29 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
[QUOTE="airshocker"]

[QUOTE="dave123321"]But then we can't talk about games and tvdave123321

I would like to be a tyrant.
#30 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

I would like to be a tyrant.LJS9502_basic

Well, then, you should become a mod.:P

#31 Posted by Exiled_Badger (262 posts) -

WhiteKnight77
#32 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]I would like to be a tyrant.capaho

Well, then, you should become a mod.:P

:lol:  Sorry mods...was kind of funny.

#33 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"][QUOTE="airshocker"]

LJS9502_basic

I would like to be a tyrant.

shame on you
#34 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -
I hope I get my debit card today or tomorrow
#35 Posted by WiiRocks66 (3488 posts) -

No, I like it the way it is now. I've never seen the mods ignore a lock request and I feel like it would be misused if anyone could just lock their thread whenever they felt like it.

#36 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -

No, I like it the way it is now. I've never seen the mods ignore a lock request and I feel like it would be misused if anyone could just lock their thread whenever they felt like it.

WiiRocks66
Think tc just means the way it is now rather then talking about adding an ability.
#37 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
[QUOTE="WiiRocks66"]

dave123321
Think tc just means the way it is now rather then talking about adding an ability.

Yeah...I mean once a thread is created and generating conversation....should the TC be able to get it locked. And I'm not talking about troll threads.
#38 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -
I think I requested a lock not too long ago and there was some kind of conflict about something
#39 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15672 posts) -
No. The only time a mod should lock a thread because the TC requests it are if it's a question that has been answered with one or two correct answers or if there was a topic already posted. Other than that, let the mods decide what to close and what to keep open.
#40 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

Other than that, let the mods decide what to close and what to keep open.Ring_of_fire

That system has not worked very well.

#41 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6627 posts) -
[QUOTE="dave123321"]Tcs should learn how to abandon a thread and understand that it isn't a mark on them if it goes south. And people should let people fight and go of topic. Like that one thread Hallen locked the other dayLJS9502_basic

It was waaay off topic and super stupid. Deserved its lock
#42 Posted by capaho (1253 posts) -

[QUOTE="Ring_of_fire"]Other than that, let the mods decide what to close and what to keep open.capaho

That system has not worked very well.

Wow! Locked within minutes!  That is a perfect example of what I'm talking about.

#43 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="dave123321"]Tcs should learn how to abandon a thread and understand that it isn't a mark on them if it goes south. And people should let people fight and go of topic. Like that one thread Hallen locked the other dayCapitan_Kid

And OT was dead after that......
#44 Posted by dave123321 (34361 posts) -
Maybe we are to blame for ots slowness
#45 Posted by Dark_Knight6 (16619 posts) -

No....that would be a....bad....idea....

#46 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
Maybe we are to blame for ots slowness dave123321
I know it's summer and all....but I've never known OT to be this slow. Used to be hard to keep up with topics....now it takes minutes, if not longer, for a new post.
#47 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -

No....that would be a....bad....idea....

Dark_Knight6

You do it all wrong. Sounds like you're out of breath....

Do you wheeze perchance?

#48 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6627 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] The one that was the only lively thread in OT at the time? Bullying I think?

There being threads not relevant to your interests doesnt mean thr forum's dead. Broaden your horizons brah
#49 Posted by LJS9502_basic (152292 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] It was waaay off topic and super stupid. Deserved its lock

There being threads not relevant to your interests doesnt mean thr forum's dead. Broaden your horizons brah

Actually brah....I was talking about the time between posts. Not what I was interested in....
#50 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6627 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] And OT was dead after that......

Actually brah....I was talking about the time between posts. Not what I was interested in....

Plenty of active threads brah.