Should soldiers who die in combat be considered as heroes?

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
Simply for the act of them dying?
#2 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151908 posts) -
That's not why they are considered heroes.....
#3 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
That's not why they are considered heroes.....LJS9502_basic
then why? for being soldiers?
#4 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151908 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That's not why they are considered heroes.....Lonelynight

For putting themselves at risk for others.....
#5 Posted by dragonmaster64 (6097 posts) -
That's not why they are considered heroes.....LJS9502_basic
i thought dieing for their country was why their heroes.
#6 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

Depends what they gave their life for. I dont really consider soldiers heroes when they kill innocents and feel reluctant to question questionable orders. Heroes give their life to take down evil tyrants and save innocent lives. Heroes are not occupiers, nor do they enforce laws on people that dont want them.

#7 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151908 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That's not why they are considered heroes.....dragonmaster64

Actually the goal is NOT to die....
#8 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

Depends what they gave their life for. I dont really consider soldiers heroes when they kill innocents and feel reluctant to question questionable orders. Heroes give their life to take down evil tyrants and save innocent lives. Heroes are not occupiers, nor do they enforce laws on people that dont want them.

bnarmz
what if they simply die from a mortal shell while patrolling?
#9 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]

Lonelynight

But what were they patrolling FOR?!

#10 Posted by indzman (19148 posts) -

of course. they die for thier own country

#11 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="bnarmz"]

Necrifer

preventing a group of armed militants who have landed in their country
#12 Posted by JML897 (33131 posts) -
[QUOTE="bnarmz"]

Lonelynight

I say that still makes them heroic because if they weren't in that position someone else would have been anyway. They gave their life so someone else didn't have to
#13 Posted by Necrifer (10629 posts) -

[QUOTE="Necrifer"]

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"] what if they simply die from a mortal shell while patrolling? Lonelynight

preventing a group of armed militants who have landed in their country

yes

#14 Posted by bnarmz (1425 posts) -

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]

Lonelynight

If a citizen is standing next to the soldier and gets hit with the shell too...is that person considered a hero? I rather not cheapen the Hero label. I feel if you actually performed a heroic feat that should be the only way you should be considered a hero. What if the most obnoxious/dreadful/meaniest person you can ever think of suddenly decided to join the arm forces, he dosen't really like anyone or the people in the country he's patrolling. He's been there 2 weeks and hates it. One day he says a few harsh words to some foreigners and walks a block away and gets hit with that mortor shell you talked about. Do you think he really deserves to be called a hero? As I said, it depends.

#15 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6337 posts) -
[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That's not why they are considered heroes.....dragonmaster64

But that implyes that those who survive are not considered heroes
#16 Posted by eggdog1234 (831 posts) -
Everything on an individual basis.
#17 Posted by MagnusDracoRex (27 posts) -
It depends on how they die in combat if they are heroes or not for dying.
#18 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -
It depends.
#19 Posted by WiiCubeM1 (4729 posts) -

Anyone in the military can be considered a hero as they are willing to lay down their lives to protect us. Those that die just cement the title.

#20 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lonelynight"][QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]That's not why they are considered heroes.....LJS9502_basic

What if the War doesn't directly protect Americans? Like the war of 1812, or Vietnam. Heroes that died for no reason?

#21 Posted by rocinante_ (1666 posts) -

for me, it depends on the cause their fighting for.

simply puttting oneself in the dangers of the battlefield means nothing to me if the cause is ignoble. are such people courageous? sure. heroes? nah.

#22 Posted by comp_atkins (31743 posts) -
everyone's a hero these days...
#23 Posted by Blueresident87 (5340 posts) -

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]

Lonelynight

They are still doing more than most people will ever do...it kind of sounds like you are trying to trivialize something here...

#24 Posted by JohnF111 (14105 posts) -
The ones who survive are generally broke, borderline homeless and can't get work so I'm guessing they are considered heroes for not being a tax burden in the governments eyes.
#25 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

[QUOTE="bnarmz"]

Lonelynight

Still risking their lives patrolling and keeping the base safe or whatever they are patrolling.

#26 Posted by SUD123456 (4521 posts) -

There is nothing heroic about dying in combat. There is nothing heroic about combat in general, other than the occassional individual act.

#27 Posted by OB-47 (10909 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] then why? for being soldiers? Fightingfan

What if the War doesn't directly protect Americans? Like the war of 1812, or Vietnam. Heroes that died for no reason?

Interesting thought

#28 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
no
#29 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Without knowing said individuals' actions pertaining to their deaths I can't answer.

#30 Posted by BuryMe (22017 posts) -

No. Not simply fr the act of dying.

#31 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
At best, soldiers are victims at worst they're murderous thugs. A killer trained and paid by the state is not my idea of a hero.
#32 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

At best, soldiers are victims at worst they're murderous thugs. A killer trained and paid by the state is not my idea of a hero.Rhazakna

Quite a broad statement

#33 Posted by hiphops_savior (7998 posts) -
If a soldier died due to friendly fire, then ti's a tragedy. If they sacrificed their life protecting a village against insurgents or covering an explosive or mine, then yes, they are heroes. There's far too many factors into what makes a soldier a hero to say that death would make them one.
#34 Posted by hiphops_savior (7998 posts) -
At best, soldiers are victims at worst they're murderous thugs. A killer trained and paid by the state is not my idea of a hero.Rhazakna
You're just trolling, aren't you?
#35 Posted by GamerForca (7095 posts) -

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="Lonelynight"] then why? for being soldiers? Fightingfan

How did the War of 1812 NOT protect Americans. :?
#36 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29610 posts) -
If they're fighting to defend their country or for another good cause, then any soldier is a hero.
#37 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

I think it would depend on how they died and what type of person they were.

#38 Posted by Leejjohno (14088 posts) -

Yes. It makes soldiers who aren't dead feel that if they do, it will be for something. If it weren't for social norms, I would say no.

#39 Posted by Lonelynight (30041 posts) -
If they're fighting to defend their country or for another good cause, then any soldier is a hero.chessmaster1989
what if they joined the military for money, or because they like to fight?
#40 Posted by one_plum (6362 posts) -

[QUOTE="chessmaster1989"]If they're fighting to defend their country or for another good cause, then any soldier is a hero.Lonelynight
what if they joined the military for money, or because they like to fight?

Anti hero

#41 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151908 posts) -

I don't think it's necessary to only protect Americans. The US military can protect citizens of other countries as well...by the way the War of 1812 happened in the US dude.

#42 Posted by Big_Pecks (5498 posts) -

No. It depends on what they've done to earn the title.

#43 Posted by ad1x2 (5768 posts) -
One way to look at it is if that Soldier didn't volunteer to serve someone else who has no desire to be in the military may have to choose between being drafted, going to jail for refusing induction, or fleeing the country. With that, not all of us on the inside will look at every death as someone being a hero. For example, we may pity a troop who kills himself after finding out his wife is pregnant with another man's baby but we don't consider him a hero for it.
#44 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4108 posts) -

As long as they're our soilders.

I say we poop on their soilders graves.

#45 Posted by MgamerBD (17550 posts) -
No...I'm pretty sure they are not trying to die.
#46 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -
One way to look at it is if that Soldier didn't volunteer to serve someone else who has no desire to be in the military may have to choose between being drafted, going to jail for refusing induction, or fleeing the country. With that, not all of us on the inside will look at every death as someone being a hero. For example, we may pity a troop who kills himself after finding out his wife is pregnant with another man's baby but we don't consider him a hero for it.ad1x2
Or the USA could simply not be the world police, and not spend 3/4 of their budget on military spending. Hense the lessened need for soldiers to fight wars. As is, solders put their lives on the line for what is known in most professions as danger pay. Heros? Nah, Employees of the Month.
#47 Posted by thebest31406 (3479 posts) -
Depends on what they died for.
#48 Posted by HoolaHoopMan (7858 posts) -
Sure why not. If I said no I'd be pegged a weirdo.
#49 Posted by MrPraline (21331 posts) -
Depends on the conflict. If it's one of those bullsh*t Wall Street wars that America loves so much then no.
#50 Posted by Baconbits2004 (12600 posts) -

[QUOTE="Fightingfan"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] For putting themselves at risk for others.....LJS9502_basic

I don't think it's necessary to only protect Americans. The US military can protect citizens of other countries as well...by the way the War of 1812 happened in the US dude.

I think he's asking if someone is a hero, even if their side loses.

And to answer that question, I'm gonna say yes. If only to get more people to read about Galvarino .
He may not have won... but I still think he deserves the title of hero.