Should muslim veils be banned?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Dahamu
Member since 2005 • 82 Posts

I have a webseries called kuestion a day, this episode I asked if Muslim wearing veils should be banned! I am almost in most discussed so PLEASE COMMENT!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsKnRUdMBMY

Thanks!

TehAirHendrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 TehAirHendrix
Member since 2006 • 1130 Posts
Um someone's racist, I can smell it.
Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Dahamu

No im not racist...im just asking the question and I actually belivie they shouldnt

Also it wouldnt be called racist..muslim is not a race it's a religion

makaveli2344

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 makaveli2344
Member since 2007 • 3106 Posts
Im not very religious, but I used to study Islam, and theres nothing wrong with it. end of story.
Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Varese_basic
Member since 2002 • 6785 Posts
women do kinda control things in America but they think if they throw a rock in a pond it will not cause ripples. Hillary Clinton and Sandra Bullock kinda scare me in a Orwellian way.
Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Dahamu
I agree!
Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dahamu
women do kinda control things in America but they think if they throw a rock in a pond it will not cause ripples. Hillary Clinton and Sandra Bullock kinda scare me in a Orwellian way.Varese_basic
Thanks for the random information
Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Varese_basic
[QUOTE="Varese_basic"]women do kinda control things in America but they think if they throw a rock in a pond it will not cause ripples. Hillary Clinton and Sandra Bullock kinda scare me in a Orwellian way.Dahamu

why is it random? isn't the reason why muslim women have to wear veils is because the muslims beleive women are the soul of a country?
Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts
No, just no no no. Banning such cultural practices in America is just plain rediculous. It seems to me that some people are trying to stake FAR too large of a cultural claim on the United States, which seems like the antithesis of what the US should be about.
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 a55assin
Member since 2005 • 7603 Posts

[QUOTE="Dahamu"][QUOTE="Varese_basic"]women do kinda control things in America but they think if they throw a rock in a pond it will not cause ripples. Hillary Clinton and Sandra Bullock kinda scare me in a Orwellian way.Varese_basic

why is it random? isn't the reason why muslim women have to wear veils is because the muslims beleive women are the soul of a country?

It's so men would feel in control...

Matthew_Kaeser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Matthew_Kaeser
Member since 2002 • 13493 Posts
There was a case of a Florida woman who refused to remove her veil for her driver's licence picture a couple years back. I believe she ultimately lost the battle.
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NathanHawkins
Member since 2006 • 4470 Posts
if the people wearing it have more of an  educated opinion on the subject...then i'd consider that.  otherwise, i don't know with any certainty.  the sexist implications wherewithal are considerable, but i don't think that we (comparatively speaking) should in our limited judgement on this particular subject make that claim.  I don't like it...but many muslim women are (according to them) quite supportive of the practice.
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 a55assin

There was a case of a Florida woman who refused to remove her veil for her driver's licence picture a couple years back. I believe she ultimately lost the battle. Matthew_Kaeser

Well it's just a tradition..has nothing to do with religion..therefore the US wasn't stepping over the line. 

Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Varese_basic
No, just no no no. Banning such cultural practices in America is just plain rediculous. It seems to me that some people are trying to stake FAR too large of a cultural claim on the United States, which seems like the antithesis of what the US should be about. Schwah
Well maybe the muslims are right about women.
Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Dahamu
[QUOTE="Schwah"]No, just no no no. Banning such cultural practices in America is just plain rediculous. It seems to me that some people are trying to stake FAR too large of a cultural claim on the United States, which seems like the antithesis of what the US should be about. Varese_basic

Yes isn't america the land of the free?
disc0very

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 disc0very
Member since 2006 • 3636 Posts
There was a case of a Florida woman who refused to remove her veil for her driver's licence picture a couple years back. I believe she ultimately lost the battle. Matthew_Kaeser
I think it's different in that case, because it allows you to fully see the person. But in essence, banning their headgear would be the same as banning the jewish hat thing *sorry, can't think of the name*
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 a55assin

[QUOTE="Matthew_Kaeser"]There was a case of a Florida woman who refused to remove her veil for her driver's licence picture a couple years back. I believe she ultimately lost the battle. disc0very
I think it's different in that case, because it allows you to fully see the person. But in essence, banning their headgear would be the same as banning the jewish hat thing *sorry, can't think of the name*

No it wouldn't, One is religious and the other is strictly a tradition... 

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dahamu

[QUOTE="Matthew_Kaeser"]There was a case of a Florida woman who refused to remove her veil for her driver's licence picture a couple years back. I believe she ultimately lost the battle. a55assin

Well it's just a tradition..has nothing to do with religion..therefore the US wasn't stepping over the line. 

No it's not a tradition...it's part of their religion
Avatar image for deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
deactivated-60a3c754d0a16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 deactivated-60a3c754d0a16
Member since 2002 • 9782 Posts

[QUOTE="Schwah"]No, just no no no. Banning such cultural practices in America is just plain rediculous. It seems to me that some people are trying to stake FAR too large of a cultural claim on the United States, which seems like the antithesis of what the US should be about. Varese_basic

Touche. Let me rephrase that... cultural practices that don't infringe on the rights of others. That's what America has been about and that's the direction we're heading. Gay marriage being the next inevitable example.

There will always be some exceptions, I know, but it seems that much of our recently proposed policy is based on fear, ethnocentricity and misunderstanding rather than sound, fair and practical decision-making. That's just me though.

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"]

[QUOTE="Matthew_Kaeser"]There was a case of a Florida woman who refused to remove her veil for her driver's licence picture a couple years back. I believe she ultimately lost the battle. Dahamu

No it's not a tradition...it's part of their religion

No it's not. I have many Islamic friends...it's a tradition... 

Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Varese_basic

[QUOTE="Varese_basic"][QUOTE="Dahamu"][QUOTE="Varese_basic"]women do kinda control things in America but they think if they throw a rock in a pond it will not cause ripples. Hillary Clinton and Sandra Bullock kinda scare me in a Orwellian way.a55assin

It's so men would feel in control...

Men aren't in control in America, they're sheep. Oh women like outlaws. Guess what, I'm gangsta. not really
Varese_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Varese_basic
[QUOTE="Varese_basic"][QUOTE="Schwah"]No, just no no no. Banning such cultural practices in America is just plain rediculous. It seems to me that some people are trying to stake FAR too large of a cultural claim on the United States, which seems like the antithesis of what the US should be about. Dahamu

Women earned their status but they forgot about it and now its, GIRLS GONE WILD!
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 NathanHawkins

[QUOTE="Dahamu"][QUOTE="Varese_basic"][QUOTE="Schwah"]No, just no no no. Banning such cultural practices in America is just plain rediculous. It seems to me that some people are trying to stake FAR too large of a cultural claim on the United States, which seems like the antithesis of what the US should be about. Varese_basic

Women earned their status but they forgot about it and now its, GIRLS GONE WILD!

in some ways...i get your point, and that's unfortunate for those who fall into that certain stated and implied category.

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 Def_Jef88
Member since 2006 • 17441 Posts
well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 a55assin

well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?Def_Jef88

I don't think they like wearing those things when it's 90 outside. 

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?a55assin

they might.:P
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"]

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?Def_Jef88

Not really...but whatever. 

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?a55assin

no ones makeing them.  If they really dont want to, they can just stop wearing them, eh?
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?Def_Jef88

no ones makeing them. If they really dont want to, they can just stop wearing them, eh?

Yes..but in their heads...that would mean disrespect to their men.  

Account_27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Account_27
Member since 2005 • 13426 Posts
Why would it be banned? They have every right to wear a veil. It's not even a matter of religion, why ban a piece of clothing?
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

no ones makeing them. If they really dont want to, they can just stop wearing them, eh?

thats their own personal problem, not the US governments
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

True...but alot of the younger generation is droping this pointless tradition. Why not wait..it will solve it's self eventually. 

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

True...but alot of the younger generation is droping this pointless tradition. Why not wait..it will solve it's self eventually.

exactly, thats why they shouldnt ban it.   People will realize its pointless on their own eventually
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

exactly, thats why they shouldnt ban it. People will realize its pointless on their own eventually

exactly...oh, we were on the same side. 

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Def_Jef88
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

exactly, thats why they shouldnt ban it. People will realize its pointless on their own eventually

yeah, pretty much...
NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 NathanHawkins

exactly, thats why they shouldnt ban it. People will realize its pointless on their own eventuallyDef_Jef88

but it's not pointless albeit perhaps mislead.  the point (even if disagreed by you or the quotee of yours) should be apparent and means much to those who recognize the action. 

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Dahamu
[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

Actually it's not a tradation! Do you know what a tradation is? It's part of their religion where muslim women most be covered for modesty...some women are killed over it in islamic countries..that woudnt happen for a tradation..which is why it shouldnt be banned..that's discrimnating against a religion
Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]exactly, thats why they shouldnt ban it. People will realize its pointless on their own eventuallyNathanHawkins

but it's not pointless albeit perhaps mislead. the point (even if disagreed by you or the quotee of yours) should be apparent and means much to those who recognize the action.

either way, the government isnt there to tell people what is right and wrong, they can do it themselves...
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"][QUOTE="Def_Jef88"][QUOTE="a55assin"]

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"]well if they want to wear those things, why stop them?Dahamu

Actually it's not a tradation! Do you know what a tradation is? It's part of their religion where muslim women most be covered for modesty...some women are killed over it in islamic countries..that woudnt happen for a tradation..which is why it shouldnt be banned..that's discrimnating against a religion

It's a tradition...trust me. It was a part of the religion a VERY long time ago...it is now a tradition and nowhere in the Koran does it say that women must do that they do. Like I said before...I have MANY Islamic friends...I know more about Islam than most of you...unless of course... 

NathanHawkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 NathanHawkins

either way, the government isnt there to tell people what is right and wrong, they can do it themselves...Def_Jef88

but the government is...and does so frequently. i get your point though, unfortunately for those specified...that's not the case in some instances.

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Dahamu
Qur'an

Islam's holy book, the Qur'an, orders Muslims to dress in a "modest" fashion. Following verses are generally interpreted as applying to all Muslim men and women.

Surah an-Nur ayah 31 says:

"'Wa qul li al-mu'minat yaghdudna min absarihinna wa yahfathna furujahunna wa laa yubdina zenatahunna illa maa thahara min haa wal-yadribna bi khumurihinna ala juyubihinna; wa laa yubdina zenatahunna illa li bu'ulatihinna aw aba'ihinna aw aba'i bu'ulatihinna aw abna'ihinna aw abna'i bu'ulatihinna aw ikhwanihinna aw bani ikhwanihinna aw bani akhawatihinna aw nisa'ihinna aw maa malakat aymanuhunna aw at-tabi'ina ghayri ulu'l-irbat min ar-rijal aw at-tifl allathina lam yathharu ala awrat an-nisa wa laa yadribna bi arjulihinna li yu'lama maa yukhfina min zenatahinna. Wa tubu ilaAllahi jami'an, ayyuha al-mu'minun la'allakum tuflihun'

And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful

Def_Jef88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Def_Jef88

[QUOTE="Def_Jef88"] either way, the government isnt there to tell people what is right and wrong, they can do it themselves...NathanHawkins

but the government is...and does so frequently. i get your point though, unfortunately for those specified...that's not the case in some instances.

well, i meant as long as its not infringing on someones rights and / or some thing like rape or murder (which is a given)
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 a55assin
Qur'an

Islam's holy book, the Qur'an, orders Muslims to dress in a "modest" fashion. Following verses are generally interpreted as applying to all Muslim men and women.

Surah an-Nur ayah 31 says:

"'Wa qul li al-mu'minat yaghdudna min absarihinna wa yahfathna furujahunna wa laa yubdina zenatahunna illa maa thahara min haa wal-yadribna bi khumurihinna ala juyubihinna; wa laa yubdina zenatahunna illa li bu'ulatihinna aw aba'ihinna aw aba'i bu'ulatihinna aw abna'ihinna aw abna'i bu'ulatihinna aw ikhwanihinna aw bani ikhwanihinna aw bani akhawatihinna aw nisa'ihinna aw maa malakat aymanuhunna aw at-tabi'ina ghayri ulu'l-irbat min ar-rijal aw at-tifl allathina lam yathharu ala awrat an-nisa wa laa yadribna bi arjulihinna li yu'lama maa yukhfina min zenatahinna. Wa tubu ilaAllahi jami'an, ayyuha al-mu'minun la'allakum tuflihun'

And say to the faithful women to lower their gazes, and to guard their private parts, and not to display their beauty except what is apparent of it, and to extend their headcoverings (khimars) to cover their bosoms (jaybs), and not to display their beauty except to their husbands, or their fathers, or their husband's fathers, or their sons, or their husband's sons, or their brothers, or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their womenfolk, or what their right hands rule (slaves), or the followers from the men who do not feel sexual desire, or the small children to whom the nakedness of women is not apparent, and not to strike their feet (on the ground) so as to make known what they hide of their adornments. And turn in repentance to Allah together, O you the faithful, in order that you are successful

Dahamu

Like I said,,it was a long time ago..it's simply a tradition now...it's either that or ALL my Islamic friends are idiots. 

a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 a55assin

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20061006/veils_headscarves_061006/20061006/

"The Qur'an offers no instruction for women to cover themselves head to foot."

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dahamu
Cleary this is how they interpet it.....cleary people like you...just want it to be a tradation now..since time has passed?
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 a55assin

Cleary this is how they interpet it.....cleary people like you...just want it to be a tradation now..since time has passed?Dahamu

That is what they believe in. They don't consider it religion anymore..it's a tradition...and it's dying. 

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dahamu

[QUOTE="Dahamu"]Cleary this is how they interpet it.....cleary people like you...just want it to be a tradation now..since time has passed?a55assin

That is what they believe in. They don't consider it religion anymore..it's a tradition...and it's dying. 

They don't consider what a religion? Wearing Veils? Islam?
a55assin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 a55assin
[QUOTE="a55assin"]

[QUOTE="Dahamu"]Cleary this is how they interpet it.....cleary people like you...just want it to be a tradation now..since time has passed?Dahamu

They don't consider what a religion? Wearing Veils? Islam?

YES! 

Dahamu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Dahamu
Islam is one of the biggest religions and growing
a55assin

Forum Posts