Should I continue watching Supernatural (2005)? SPOILERS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

Season 1 was amazing. Everything felt very well paced, one thing leaves to next. The story and character development was believable and we are attached to them. In season 2 almost every episode event felt random. The story was still interesting but I started feel the Dean character getting stale. Sam was still the guy we root for but I think I like Bobby the most out of all the good guys which is not god when the story is about the two brothers.

Season 3 is where I almost completely just stopped watching. We for an entire season anticipated Dean going to hell and then he just returns the very next episode! What the heck? Now we are dealing with angels, archangels, god, angels becoming human, etc. Does this show ever return to its former glory?

I'm at season 4.5 on Netflix. Still 4.5 more seasons I haven't watch yet.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

Supernatural is one of the worst tv series out there. I don't understand why so many people are into it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#5 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Supernatural is one of the "fill the gap" shows for me...don't really care for it but if there's nothing else I'll watch it. Every season I promise I'll stop watching but season 1 had so much promise I keep hoping it'll go back to it...it never does. They keep repeating the same shit over and over again, I mean, how many times have those 2 died already? Every now and then there's 2 or 3 good episodes in a row and I think "Ok, maybe this is it. It's about to get better" and then they **** it all up with stuff like defeating the bad guys with detergent.

redstorm72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 redstorm72
Member since 2008 • 4646 Posts

To me the show has always been consistently decent. Yeah, at times it does get repetitive (bound to happen when you have been on 9 seasons and counting), but there are also times when the show can be very original and funny. Also, I don't really get your complaints. Season 1 was just as random as season 2, with the only thing holding it together being the "where's dad at?" sub plot. And if by "former glory" you mean the show getting back to basics (ie. no Gods, Angels, and demons), then no, it doesn't.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

I actually enjoy the show a lot. Season 1 had a very "monster of the week" / "x-files" vibe to it and to me that was ok, but it started to get interesting later when they started digging into the main storyline. The arc that carried the show through the first five seasons I thought was very, very strong. Those were the seasons that were originally planned by Eric Kripke so they were well thought out ahead of time. That was originally the planned span of the show, but the ratings have been consistently high so it keeps getting renewed. 6 and 7 were surprisingly interesting with the stuff around Sam, Cas, and the leviathans.Season 8 was the weakest season of the show for me, because I felt like it lacked a good central story and it felt a bit low budget, but it picked up again in 9 with the introduction of the whole "Men of Letters" idea and 10 has been entertaining, although if it ended at the end of this season I wouldn't be heartbroken because frankly the show as had an amazingly long run for a show of this type.

Yes, I would say the show is worth watching all the way through (at least up to the point that I'm at). I was a big Buffy/Angel fan and I describe this show as something that helps to fill the "Buffy Gap".

It might not be your cup of tea all the way throughout, but I would storngly recommend watching through Season 5 at least because that was the original planned story arc. All the stuff with agenls and heaven/hell comes to a head at the end of season 5 so either their introduction will continue to annoy you or it'll all come together for you, but there's no way to know which unless you at least finish the main arc.

-Byshop

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts

Supernatural is possibly my favorite show of all time. I could talk all day about this show. It has a ton of flaws, some parts are bad X-Files ripoff, but the underrated script writing, unusual pacing, the no holds barred invocation of occult, philosophical, and religious themes as a point of central conflict (which is a brilliant idea), the fact the show tends to place an emphasis on violence (a pivotal plot device in the first three seasons is a bad ass gun that can kill anything), and the high likelihood that most episodes will end in violence while simultaneously exploring those philosophical themes is metal as ****.

Everything after the 5th season is progressively less and less good. Instead of introducing new characters and a new conflict like the 2nd and 3rd season had no trouble doing, the show becomes too attracted to itself read: continually bring back Castiel and that is a huge problem. I stopped caring mid-way through the 8th season.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Legend002

^That's underwhelming to hear about S5...

Just finished Season 4 and yeah I was a bit hyped again. I didn't noticed this before but the actress that played Ruby is different in this season. LMAO

*Cassidy's Ruby never felt evil. I think it was a good switch.

EPICCOMMANDER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#10 EPICCOMMANDER
Member since 2013 • 1110 Posts
@Legend002 said:

Just finished Season 4 and yeah I was a bit hyped again. I didn't noticed this before but the actress that played Ruby is different in this season. LMAO

Oh yeah, I remember that, she changed bodies right? Yeah, I thought that was really neat to risk having multiple actors for the same character, yet have them all manage to "act" relatively consistently so as not to f up the portrayal of the character. It was a bold move. Again, underrated screenwriting and directing for this show.

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Legend002

Season 5 is awesome so far. Cas is getting the spotlight he finally deserve though his role as a higher authority is completely gone. I miss the soft spoken yet intimidating leader & loudmouth wisecracking lackey duel(Uriel) though. I will continue to watch!

I must admit that Jo and Anna are very underused. Adam also was a waste because he showed a lot of potential with the development given in just that one episode. It's really a tragic.