Shorter than my non lifting brothers?

#1 Posted by crazyguy111 (224 posts) -

I always loved lifting weights. However, I noticed that my younger 16 year old brother is already 5''10, my older 23 year old brother is 5'10.5. I'm 19 and only about 5'9.5. Neither of my brothers lifted weights when they were young. My older brother and sister said that weight lifting may of stunted my growth since I stopped growing at a young age compared to them.

I've always thought that weight lifting could not stunt growth, and it was just a myth, then I noticed that many of my non lifting friends and brother were quickly outgrowing me.

I'm 19, and I am probably close to being done growing, however I want to grow as much as possible. I was thinking of stopping weight lifting for a few months and only doing pull-ups, push-ups, wall sits, abdominal exercises and leg curls to see what happens; although I would lose a lot of strength over the summer. Do you think that quitting lifting weights for a couple months is worth it just to see what happens? Did you notice that you were shorter than your non lifting siblings? Thoughts?

#2 Edited by elkoldo (1105 posts) -

I don't know , at 1.75m I'm perfectly as tall as my brother who's five years my senior.We don't lift :( don't know about you , but I stopped growing long before I was 19.I don't think lifting has anything to do with this.Don't get obsessed with it.

#3 Posted by hippiesanta (9859 posts) -

Gravity kills

#4 Edited by Storm_Marine (10900 posts) -

@crazyguy111 said:

I always loved lifting weights. However, I noticed that my younger 16 year old brother is already 5''10, my older 23 year old brother is 5'10.5. I'm 19 and only about 5'9.5. Neither of my brothers lifted weights when they were young. My older brother and sister said that weight lifting may of stunted my growth since I stopped growing at a young age compared to them.

I've always thought that weight lifting could not stunt growth, and it was just a myth, then I noticed that many of my non lifting friends and brother were quickly outgrowing me.

I'm 19, and I am probably close to being done growing, however I want to grow as much as possible. I was thinking of stopping weight lifting for a few months and only doing pull-ups, push-ups, wall sits, abdominal exercises and leg curls to see what happens; although I would lose a lot of strength over the summer. Do you think that quitting lifting weights for a couple months is worth it just to see what happens? Did you notice that you were shorter than your non lifting siblings? Thoughts?

a inch/half inch difference isn't much... if it bothers you then talk to a expert, otherwise lift away.

#5 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

This topic is so appropriate for the Misc.

#6 Edited by whipassmt (14028 posts) -

1. I do not know if lifting effects height. 2. The height difference between you and your brothers is not statistically significant, so it is probably just natural variation rather than any cause.

#7 Edited by Nengo_Flow (9741 posts) -

supposedly doctors would say that lifting weights during the teenage years can stomp you from growing in height. IDK if they say this anymore. Most people lift these day, even girls work out alot.

Its trendy and cool, not just to work out these days, but to constantly wear gym/work out clothing everywhere you go and pretend its all casual (girls love to do that, I know many middle age women who dont really work out but constantly wear work out outfits/yoga style clothing just to seem attractive/interesting/be seen more serious by people/helps them be seen more confident).

#8 Posted by Omega-316 (786 posts) -

Play some basketball. Do body weight exorcises. Drink that milk.

I am OCD and I'm 5'11 and me not reaching 6' really pisses me off greatly you could imagine.

#9 Edited by themajormayor (25791 posts) -

Do you even lift... bruw?

#10 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

Lol hahaha. Wow! So all your brothers are pretty much same height.

Your pretty unsecured about your self bro!

#11 Posted by BossPerson (9467 posts) -

one inch difference is not stunted growth

#12 Edited by BossPerson (9467 posts) -

also, my older brother lifted since he was 15-16 and is 6 feet, while I who spent most of my childhood riding bikes and puberty playing video games am at a lowly 5, 8

stop being a little bitch

#13 Posted by lamprey263 (23889 posts) -

they probably have been saying this for years, probably as far back as saying smoking was safe or maybe healthy for you

#14 Posted by TheEvilPoster (24 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

also, my older brother lifted since he was 15-16 and is 6 feet, while I who spent most of my childhood riding bikes and puberty playing video games am at a lowly 5, 8

stop being a little bitch

yeah but little does your lil bitch brother know he could be 6'4 right now if he didnt lift weights at a young age like a tryhard

#16 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36804 posts) -

@k2theswiss said:

Lol hahaha. Wow! So all your brothers are pretty much same height.

Your pretty unsecured about your self bro!

lol'ed

#17 Posted by l34052 (3192 posts) -

Keep on lifting and forget about a half inch or so, it really doesnt matter. Concentrate more on gaining thickness and width then everyone will admire you if thats what you really need to feel good.

Lift, eat, sleep, Lift, eat, sleep, Lift, eat, sleep, Lift, eat, sleep.......

#18 Posted by BossPerson (9467 posts) -

@theevilposter: your mom's a whore

#19 Posted by GazaAli (22822 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

@theevilposter: your mom's a whore

sharmoota

#20 Edited by jasean79 (2374 posts) -

Never heard that myth. I don't understand how increasing muscle mass would shorten your growth height.

#21 Edited by Dogswithguns (10762 posts) -

I heard about it lifting weight stops from getting taller.. but 5'9 and 5'10 isn't all that much different. what's the point of getting taller than that anyway?!

#22 Edited by Wilfred_Owen (20858 posts) -

@BossPerson said:

also, my older brother lifted since he was 15-16 and is 6 feet, while I who spent most of my childhood riding bikes and puberty playing video games am at a lowly 5, 8

stop being a little bitch

OHHHHHH! DAMN SON!

#23 Posted by GamerForca (7093 posts) -

The difference between you and your brothers is too insignificant to be making any such conclusion. I lift weights and and am 1 inch taller than a younger brother who doesn't. My youngest brother lifts weights and is 1 inch shorter than my aforementioned brother. It's just genes.

#24 Edited by Boxxxed (7 posts) -

Who cares, keep lifting.

#25 Posted by Barbariser (6724 posts) -

No, and a height difference of under 3 cm is almost invisible anyway.

#26 Posted by Star67 (3455 posts) -

This just proves to me that people that lift weights and look like Hercules are just insecure about themselves........

If you want to exercise and eat well to be healthy that's awesome and I respect that, but once you start over doing it like buying the protein powder/bars....or take steroids....I think there's bigger mental issues you need to have solved.

Unless your goal is to be an action hero in a Hollywood movie....if so good luck!

#27 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

You have Napoleon complex, you better get rid of it soon or it's going to ruin your life.

#28 Edited by Star67 (3455 posts) -

@LittleMac19 said:

You have Napoleon complex, you better get rid of it soon or it's going to ruin your life.

That's the disease where you think you're napoleon right?

#29 Posted by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

@Star67 said:

@LittleMac19 said:

You have Napoleon complex, you better get rid of it soon or it's going to ruin your life.

That's the disease where you think you're napoleon right?

Napoleon Complex = Short Man Syndrome

#30 Posted by cyborg100000 (2848 posts) -

Weight lifting definitely doesn't stunt growth, or make you taller or bigger boned for that matter. Steroids and poor nutrition can potentially stunt growth. If you're eating and sleeping even half-decently (ideally quite well) then weight lifting just increases muscle mass and bone density.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/bodybuilding-stunts-growth/