Sequels that were BETTER than the originals

#1 Edited by Comic_Capers (1567 posts) -

It seems to be a general trend in film that when a successful film gets a sequel, nearly always it ends up being worse than the original. However every so often an exception is made where the sequel actually improves on the original. For this I'm not counting films that were intended to be a series from the start (e.g. Star Wars, Back to the Future, series based off books, The Godfather etc) but sequels that were made due to the success of the original.

Here are my picks:

Aliens > Alien

Shrek 2 > Shrek

Die Hard 2 > Die Hard

Kung Fu Panda 2 > Kung Fu Panda

Iron Man 2 > Iron Man

Toy Story 3 > Toy Story 2

That's all I can think of now but I'm sure there are loads more!

#2 Edited by bforrester420 (1193 posts) -

Rocky 2, 3, and 4 > Rocky

Empire Strikes Back > A New Hope

#3 Posted by jasean79 (2338 posts) -

Star Trek 2 > Star Trek

Captain America: WS> Captain America

Return of the Jedi > Star Wars

#4 Edited by uninspiredcup (7534 posts) -

Terminator 2. Xmen-2. Spdierman-2. Iron Man 3. LOTR: Two Towers.

#5 Edited by Korvus (2811 posts) -

X2 > X-Men

#6 Posted by hippiesanta (9756 posts) -

Dark Knight > Patrick Bateman Begins

#7 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

I think I'm in the minority that enjoyed Lost World more than Jurassic Park.

#8 Edited by l34052 (3100 posts) -

2Fast 2Furious was loads better than the first.

#9 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17060 posts) -

These plus:

The Raid 2>The Raid

Captain America WS>Captain America

Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls>Ace Ventura

Evil Dead 2>Evil Dead

The Dark Knight>Batman Begins

#10 Posted by 4myAmuzumament (1743 posts) -

TMNT: Secret of the Ooze. Fun movie.

#11 Edited by lostrib (32977 posts) -

I believe the classic example is Godfather 2

#12 Posted by InEMplease (6314 posts) -

Species 2 >Species.

Natasha Henstridge. Nakey!

#13 Edited by Comic_Capers (1567 posts) -

@lostrib but The Godfather series was a series from the start (it's based of a series of books) so that doesn't count. The same goes for Star Wars @jasean79.

#14 Posted by Aljosa23 (24539 posts) -
#15 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

I would say:

• Terminator 2
  • The Dark Knight
  • Toy Story 2
#16 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (27998 posts) -

Before Sunset and Before Midnight.

#17 Posted by shadowkiller11 (7953 posts) -

Terminator 2, Dark Night, Crank 2, Aliens, Evil Dead 2. I'm sure there is more.

#18 Edited by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -
  • Drunken Master 2 (1994)
  • Tarzan and His Mate (1934)
  • Batman Returns (1992)
  • Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999)
  • The Mummy Returns (2001)
  • Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
  • Golden Swallow (1968)
  • Armour of God II: Operation Condor (1991)
  • The Rescuers Down Under (1990)
  • Spider-Man 2 (2004)
  • Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (1982)
  • Noriko's Dinner Table (2005)
  • The Woman (2011)
#19 Posted by BranKetra (47777 posts) -

Those are great films that are both better than their originals.

#20 Edited by Netret0120 (1995 posts) -

Spiderman 2>>>>> Spiderman 1. Doc Ock was badass!

#21 Edited by BranKetra (47777 posts) -

Besides what has been already mentioned, the following are all better than the originals:

• Superman II: Planet Houston being commanded to kneel before Zod
  • Hellboy II: Guillermo Del Toro has a good art style that makes films franchises like Hellboy and Pacific Rim exciting.
  • The Four Musketeers: I liked the Three Musketeers quite a bit and the addition of a fourth musketeer just made everything better. He fit perfectly.
  • The Bourne Supremacy: It was more action-packed and intricate than the original.
  • Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey
#22 Edited by Aljosa23 (24539 posts) -

• Back to the Future Part II
  • Ghostbusters II

i hate this thread

#23 Edited by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Oh my god

@Comic_Capers said:

Die Hard 2 > Die Hard

@Aljosa23 said:

@BranKetra said:
  • Ghostbusters II

i hate this thread

... Dear god there is a guy that thinks Rocky is a worse movie than the second, third and fourth.. WTH.

#24 Posted by sSubZerOo (43003 posts) -

@Lord_Daemon said:

Operation condor movies have confused the hell out of me.. Armour of God is always listed as "Operation Condor 2: Armour of God".. But is the older movie, in which the second movie is just listed as Operation Condor.. And that title is just even more confusing because Operation Condor, there is no armour of god and it has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of mythological things..

#25 Edited by LittleMac19 (1638 posts) -

-Batman Returns

-Spiderman 2

-X2

-Terminator 2: Judgement Day

-Toy Story 2

#26 Edited by BranKetra (47777 posts) -

@Aljosa23: Edited after some thought in hindsight. I had not seen your post, though.

@BranKetra said:

@Lord_Daemon said:

Operation condor movies have confused the hell out of me.. Armour of God is always listed as "Operation Condor 2: Armour of God".. But is the older movie, in which the second movie is just listed as Operation Condor.. And that title is just even more confusing because Operation Condor, there is no armour of god and it has absolutely nothing to do with any kind of mythological things..

I am not aware of any explanation for that. The only reason I suspect both films have "Armour of God" in their titles is due to them having Asian Hawk and Baron Bannon because they are a part of the same storyline.

#27 Edited by thehig1 (1110 posts) -

@Aljosa23: I was thinking that, due hard is the best of all the die hard films.

Recent examples

Kick ass 2

Star trek into darkness

Hunger games catching fire (although they both suck, but catching fire sucked slightly less)

Xmen days of future past (counting first class as the first of the reboot)

Paranormal activity 2 (they mastered the formula on this film, before ruining it with cult stuff in 3 and 4)

Devils rejects (better than house of 1000 corpses)

#28 Edited by Lord_Daemon (24233 posts) -

@sSubZerOo said:

@BranKetra said:

@Lord_Daemon said:

Indeed that was the fault of strangenessness by the American distributors who gave "Operation Condor" a theatre release but not the initial entry. But after the "Operation Condor" film did fairly well they decided to quickly dump the actual first film 'Armour of God' (which actually did deal with a legendary "armour of the gods" unlike its sequel which just kept it in the title as it was the same main character) direct-to-video and, fearing confusion from the American audience and wanting the association to help its sales, they decided to stick the first film with the sequel title 'Operation Condor 2: Armor of the Gods' or some such thing. Kinda funny really, but I think slowly people are getting the hang of the original official English Titles.

Incidentally...the literal Chinese titles of both films are naturally slightly different with 'Armour of God' translating roughly as "Dragon and Tiger Brothers" and 'Armour of God 2: Operation Condor' being just simply "Operation Condor".

#29 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17060 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@Aljosa23: I was thinking that, due hard is the best of all the die hard films.

Recent examples

Kick ass 2

Star trek into darkness

Hunger games catching fire (although they both suck, but catching fire sucked slightly less)

Xmen days of future past (counting first class as the first of the reboot)

Paranormal activity 2 (they mastered the formula on this film, before ruining it with cult stuff in 3 and 4)

Devils rejects (better than house of 1000 corpses)

The only Paranormal Activity movie worse than 2 was 4...

Also, Kick Ass>>>>Kick Ass 2.

#30 Posted by thehig1 (1110 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL: paranormal activity 3 ended with that cult shit, the cupboard scene alone gave me a heart attack.

Kick ass 2 is a better film, it moved away from.comedy slightly and because a leg image super hero movie in its own right

#31 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17060 posts) -

@thehig1 said:

@LostProphetFLCL: paranormal activity 3 ended with that cult shit, the cupboard scene alone gave me a heart attack.

Kick ass 2 is a better film, it moved away from.comedy slightly and because a leg image super hero movie in its own right

Paranormal 3 was a much better movie even with the cheesy ending. The oscillating camera stuff was just genius.

Kick Ass 2 just dragged on and on. Wasn't terrible but certainly wasn't better than the 1st.

#32 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16609 posts) -

Godfather 2> Godfather

Also Evil Dead 2> The Evil dead objectively, but I still like the first one the best.

#33 Posted by dsmccracken (7216 posts) -

@Comic_Capers:

I know it's all subjective, so there's no right or wrong here... but damn is there a lot of fail here. I can get behind Dark Knight, Spider-Man 2, and Superman 2 being superior to their predecessors. Ghostbusters II? smh...

#34 Edited by thehig1 (1110 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL: I disagree, Paranormal Activity 3 didn't make me jump like 2 did, the scares were expected were as in 2 the cupboard scene caught me so off guard it was genius.

Kick Ass 2 as well as being fun, has some genuinely good action in, Kick Ass 2 seems to have more too it.

#36 Posted by Comic_Capers (1567 posts) -

@BranKetra good shout on The Bourne Supremacy. I also enjoyed that more than The Bourne Identity but I had completely forgotten about that one. Also @Aljosa23 I really enjoyed both of the first two Die Hard movies, I just found the second one to be that much more unexpected which is why it edges the first one for me. Regarding Kick Ass II I haven't seen it due to so much mixed opinion of it and it's low score (29%) on Rotten Tomatoes. The same goes for Ghostbusters II. With regards to Spiderman 2, everyone seems to like that one more than the first one except me. While I loved Doc Oc as the villain, I felt the film toned down lots of the comic violence to make the film more kid-friendly. Also WTF was up with Doc Oc being able to talk to his arms? I don't remember that being possible in the original comics or the animated series.

#37 Posted by uninspiredcup (7534 posts) -

The Addams Family Values.

#38 Posted by AFBrat77 (24025 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I believe the classic example is Godfather 2

They were pretty much on par with each other IMO.

The Empire Strikes Back > Star Wars

For whover might have said it: I disagree with anyone that says Aliens was better than Alien.

#39 Posted by bforrester420 (1193 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

These plus:

The Raid 2>The Raid

Evil Dead 2>Evil Dead

Army Of Darkness > all Evil Dead movies

#40 Edited by bforrester420 (1193 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

Oh my god

@Comic_Capers said:

Die Hard 2 > Die Hard

@Aljosa23 said:

@BranKetra said:
  • Ghostbusters II

i hate this thread

... Dear god there is a guy that thinks Rocky is a worse movie than the second, third and fourth.. WTH.

The first Rocky was soooo effing slow. Maybe not Rocky 2, but 3 and 4 were infinitely better than Rocky I.

#41 Edited by Vatusus (4342 posts) -

Almost every sequel is better than the original, with some very rare exceptions like DMC2

edit: oooops. I thought I was on SW

well then, when it comes to movies: Terminator 2, The Dark Knight, The Lost World: Jurassic Park (I liked it better), Mission Impossible 2...

#42 Posted by Master_Live (13931 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

Almost every sequel is better than the original, with some very rare exceptions like DMC2

Ridiculous.

#43 Posted by LostProphetFLCL (17060 posts) -

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@uninspiredcup said:

These plus:

The Raid 2>The Raid

Evil Dead 2>Evil Dead

Army Of Darkness > all Evil Dead movies

Evil Dead 2>Army of Darkness>Evil Dead

#44 Posted by Comic_Capers (1567 posts) -

Just thought of another one: Men In Black III >>> Men In Black II