Send Water Bears to other Stars?

#1 Posted by Jd1680a (5922 posts) -

If we want to send Earthlings to outer space to colonize other planets in the galaxy, how about we send water bears? The actual capsule could be the size of a watermelon, holding in pressurized water for the water bears to hibernate in. Program a computer with logic programming for self guidance to allow the space craft to get captured by a star and search for possible locations for the water bear to live on.

I know it might sound ridiculous, but water bears would have the most probable chance of surviving a long space journey. While it would cost $100 billion or more to build a space craft for humans to be sent other stars, the craft for water bears could cost no more then $500 million.

#2 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26050 posts) -

...not sure you understand exactly the point of interstellar travel...

#3 Edited by 4myAmuzumament (1748 posts) -

Now all I can think about is Water Bears (Tardigrades) piloting watermelons through space.

#4 Posted by playmynutz (5981 posts) -

^ interesting, keep me posted

#5 Posted by chaoscougar1 (36779 posts) -

lol

#6 Posted by Motokid6 (5274 posts) -

... Water bears, eh?

#7 Posted by Master_Live (14193 posts) -

Meh, lets actually send bears.

#8 Posted by thegerg (14859 posts) -

Why?

#9 Posted by jasean79 (2357 posts) -

And what are these water bears to do when they arrive at their destination?

#10 Posted by yummifullz (148 posts) -

Because the moss piglets could give us the answers we're looking for.

#11 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

Send them to do what exactly?

#12 Posted by yummifullz (148 posts) -
#13 Posted by harry_james_pot (10581 posts) -

@harry_james_pot: To get captured by a Star and colonize an entire planet.

But what are we getting out of that? I really doubt they'll send back for us.. >_>

#14 Posted by jasean79 (2357 posts) -

@yummifullz said:

But what are we getting out of that? I really doubt they'll send back for us.. >_>

Exactly. And what if water bears don't want to leave their natural habitat? They can't exactly tell us that. So, really it's for no one's benefit to send them.

#15 Posted by thegerg (14859 posts) -

Why? What's the allure of contaminating another planet with a non-native species?

#16 Posted by Motokid6 (5274 posts) -

The human race needs to forget about interstellar travel for the next few centuries. Therers more then enough to discover and create in our solar system.

#17 Posted by hydralisk86 (8527 posts) -

@Jd1680a: Maybe if we wait a very very long time after those water bears populate a planet, they will evolve to become an intelligent species, so that when we visit that planet, they will have the technology and the intelligence to kick us out of that planet.