Self-Help literature

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1 wide_ocean
Member since 2008 • 288 Posts

What are your opinions on self-improvement literature? Have you ever read any and why, if yes/no?

Alter_Echo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Alter_Echo
Member since 2003 • 10724 Posts

I doubt any of the millionaires who peddle that sh1t have even the slightest fvcking clue how to be happy without gobs of money. Anyone who spends money on that stuff needs to get punched in the throat.

TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
My self help. Is the internet, if you're having a bad day it's always nice to blow off some steam online when you can't really be judged :D
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
No I'm a happy chappy I suppose despite my occasional bitter, cynical dark views sometimes. I don't see the point, it's all psychology and I'm sure people have the common sense to know that and could change themselves for the better... oh no wait they don't. Seems mostly for the gullible
dkdk999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 dkdk999
Member since 2007 • 6754 Posts
I love them, but I think a lot of them are bad. Highly reccomend "the psychology of self esteem" by nathaniel branden.
Avatar image for WolfattheDoor34
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 WolfattheDoor34
Member since 2006 • 3278 Posts
self help as in Thoreau? or like David Foster Wallace? or what?
wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 wide_ocean

self help as in Thoreau? or like David Foster Wallace? or what?WolfattheDoor34

Anything from NLP to "Learn to Think Like Steve Jobs", "How to Talk to Anyone" etc.

Abbeten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Abbeten
Member since 2012 • 3140 Posts
my self-help literature extends no further than the following sentence: read actual literature and not horsesh*t like the secret. be a better person. the end
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
Garbage, there are far bigger problems in the world that no amount of self help literature or mantras can help with. Man will fail, God does not. Only Jesus can save, not yourself, not man or your own efforts can make a better life. In all honesty, theological beliefs aside, the ones that do work are brilliant manipulators of the Placebo Effect.
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

If you helped yourself, you didn't need help

wide_ocean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 wide_ocean

Garbage, there are far bigger problems in the world that no amount of self help literature or mantras can help with. Man will fail, God does not. Only Jesus can save, not yourself, not man or your own efforts can make a better life. In all honesty, theological beliefs aside, the ones that do work are brilliant manipulators of the Placebo Effect.hiphops_savior

So would you say one should abstain from all efforts in life to better one's situation, because our own actions are not godly? Just asking.

WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 WolfattheDoor34
Garbage, there are far bigger problems in the world that no amount of self help literature or mantras can help with. Man will fail, God does not. Only Jesus can save, not yourself, not man or your own efforts can make a better life. In all honesty, theological beliefs aside, the ones that do work are brilliant manipulators of the Placebo Effect.hiphops_savior
inspiring, life-affirming or, wait, no, the opposite of that - demoralizing, life-incriminating
shadowkiller11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14 shadowkiller11
Member since 2008 • 7956 Posts
The fvck did I just read after the first sentence?
BiancaDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#15 BiancaDK
Member since 2008 • 19092 Posts

What are your opinions on self-improvement literature? Have you ever read any and why, if yes/no?

wide_ocean

super low-brow springs to mind

although admittedly i've never read anything stemming from that genre

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 hiphops_savior

[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Garbage, there are far bigger problems in the world that no amount of self help literature or mantras can help with. Man will fail, God does not. Only Jesus can save, not yourself, not man or your own efforts can make a better life. In all honesty, theological beliefs aside, the ones that do work are brilliant manipulators of the Placebo Effect.wide_ocean

So would you say one should abstain from all efforts in life to better one's situation, because our own actions are not godly? Just asking.

Look around the world, there are many people who tried to do good and justify their actions by causing atrocities. There are non-believers who lived a far more righteous life than many Christians. However, my point remains that mankind is fundamentally flawed, and my cynicism is reflected in it. I do not place my hope in my own efforts, I place it on salvation from God. We're still messed up, but at least God is there to help us. Bottom line, no, I am not saying that we should abstain from all efforts in life to better one's situation. Contrary to that, if you feel compelled to right a wrong, you should take action. My problem is that the literature says you can help your own mess when all it does is makes you self centered and prideful (happens even to me, and I apologize for that).
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hiphops_savior
[QUOTE="hiphops_savior"]Garbage, there are far bigger problems in the world that no amount of self help literature or mantras can help with. Man will fail, God does not. Only Jesus can save, not yourself, not man or your own efforts can make a better life. In all honesty, theological beliefs aside, the ones that do work are brilliant manipulators of the Placebo Effect.WolfattheDoor34
inspiring, life-affirming or, wait, no, the opposite of that - demoralizing, life-incriminating

In an essence, all this should be pointing towards God as your solution. Whether you can see it or not, all I can hope is that sometime down the road, you realize that there is an exit, and it was wide open the whole time before it was too late.
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 WolfattheDoor34
why would I want an exit?
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hiphops_savior
why would I want an exit?WolfattheDoor34
I don't think we're on the same page. If by your physical life, that remains to be seen. If by spirituality, perhaps one day you'll come to the same conclusion.
WolfattheDoor34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 WolfattheDoor34
do you think history justifies proselytization and zealotry?
bigfoot2045

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 bigfoot2045
Member since 2012 • 732 Posts

Self help books are a scam. The reality is that if you were actually capable of improving your station in life on your own, you probably would have done it already. And it doesn't help that these things are mostly written by rich douchebags like Tony Robbins and Donald Trump, who have absolutely no conception of what it's like to struggle through life.