Sci Fi Book Recommendations?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3526 posts) -

Hello people. So I just got a Kindle Paperwhite and love it but would like a few recommendations for higher quality Sci Fi. I dont know if this is the right place to ask but I figured I would anyway. Ive got the Halo books and also have Game of Thrones BUT having seen seasons 1-3 of the show - getting through is kind of a drag (though Im still reading and getting through at a decent pace). Any suggestions for other books? Id like stuff Ive never read before. Ive heard of Dune but its $8 for that eBook and the book is years upon years old. lol. Anyone got something else? (Ill still try to get Dune, of course, but...)

#2 Posted by bulby_g (1094 posts) -
#3 Posted by redstorm72 (4552 posts) -

Off the top of my head, these are some of my favorite sci-fi books.

Fahrenheit 451 (Ray Bradbury)

The Forever War (Joe Haldeman)

Leviathan Wakes (James S. A. Corey)

The Forge of God (and) Anvil of Stars (Greg Bear)

The Andromeda Strain (and) The Sphere (Micheal Crichton)

Old Mans War (John Scalzi)

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (Robert A. Heinlein)

#4 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3526 posts) -

Damn. Thanks you guys. I half expected people to start suggesting The Hunger Games left and right. lol. Thanks.

#5 Posted by lamprey263 (23639 posts) -

Neuromancer, by William Gibson

#6 Posted by Zyamaman (1776 posts) -

Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons.

#7 Posted by Detroit222 (5296 posts) -

I've always felt that there's two kinds of scifi: the softer, scifan and hardcore scifi (More science than fantasy)

Anything by Asimov or Bradbury or Arthur Clarke - scifi (Dune, for instance, is scifi) Card's books (Ender's Game) - scifi. (All are excellent authors, by the way.)

Game of Thrones? (scifan)

Now I'm not saying that scifi is better than scifan - in fact I enjoy both. (So don't flame me.) I'm just saying there IS a difference.

If you want to get into the classics of scifi I recommend both Jules Verne AND H.G. Wells.

#8 Posted by curono (7710 posts) -

Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury and some of the Illustrated man stories, by himself as well...

#9 Posted by AFBrat77 (24111 posts) -

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

movie just came out as well

#10 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7782 posts) -

Old has nothing to do with it. I'll always recommend the Dune and Foundation series, both old and awesome.

#11 Posted by Boddicker (2703 posts) -

@AFBrat77 said:

Enders Game by Orson Scott Card

movie just came out as well

I'd recommend this one as well, but read the book before you see the movie. The movie wasn't that bad, but they did soften Ender in some ways I didn't like. I need to get around to reading the rest of the series (I heard they kind of sucked).

I've always been more of a fantasy guy, having finished Book 5 of the Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) recently, but I quite enjoyed the Dune series. I need to read more sci-fi...........

#12 Edited by Gamesterpheonix (3526 posts) -

@Detroit222 said:

I've always felt that there's two kinds of scifi: the softer, scifan and hardcore scifi (More science than fantasy)

Anything by Asimov or Bradbury or Arthur Clarke - scifi (Dune, for instance, is scifi) Card's books (Ender's Game) - scifi. (All are excellent authors, by the way.)

Game of Thrones? (scifan)

Now I'm not saying that scifi is better than scifan - in fact I enjoy both. (So don't flame me.) I'm just saying there IS a difference.

If you want to get into the classics of scifi I recommend both Jules Verne AND H.G. Wells.

Thats a nice way of putting it. I guess Im looking for more Sci FI than Im looking for Sci FAN. The science stuff is what I like the most. I wouldnt mind something dark like Game of Thrones though. I really hope I start to get more out of the first couple books. It seems as though they really did follow the books well and lol I may not get much new. Very good writing though.

These recommendations are great btw. Ill put Dune high on the list. Ive read Enders Game but did so very long ago. It was alright but I didnt enjoy it as much. Maybe it was because of how old I was then.

#13 Posted by airshocker (29520 posts) -

If you've never read any of the Warhammer 40k series of books you should pick up the Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett. Ebook version available on blacklibrary.com.

#14 Posted by Makhaidos (1613 posts) -

The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin.

#15 Posted by HuggyBear1020 (456 posts) -

If you like Gears of War, the books are quite good.

#16 Posted by nait2k4 (79 posts) -

If you want to swallow up significant portions of your reading time, the Star Wars New Jedi Order is not a bad investment, I think its about 19 books worth. Yeah, its Star Wars, and some of the books are worse than others, but overall it's an interesting tale.

#17 Posted by Detroit222 (5296 posts) -

Thats a nice way of putting it. I guess Im looking for more Sci FI than Im looking for Sci FAN. The science stuff is what I like the most. I wouldnt mind something dark like Game of Thrones though. I really hope I start to get more out of the first couple books. It seems as though they really did follow the books well and lol I may not get much new. Very good writing though.

These recommendations are great btw. Ill put Dune high on the list. Ive read Enders Game but did so very long ago. It was alright but I didnt enjoy it as much. Maybe it was because of how old I was then.

If you want really good scifi than I recommend Asimov's Robot Trilogy or Foundation Trilogy. Or the Martian Chronicles by Bradbury. I cut my scifi teeth on Asimov's books when I was young. ;+D

You might try Andre Norton too. She wrote some really good stuff I don't recommend her "Witch" books (scifan) but she also wrote some really good scifi. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andre_Norton_bibliography

#18 Posted by iHarlequin (1789 posts) -

Isaac Asimov and Philip K. Dick.

#19 Posted by Boddicker (2703 posts) -

If you've never read any of the Warhammer 40k series of books you should pick up the Eisenhorn trilogy by Dan Abnett. Ebook version available on blacklibrary.com.

I've always been meaning to check out some 40K books, but never seem to be able to get around to it.

#20 Edited by Ozias (16 posts) -

Sheri S Tepper - The Awakeners (not hard sci-fi as such, but but set on a human colony that has been isolated and regressed)

Arthur C Clarke - Rendezvous With Rama

Greg Bear: The Way series: Eon, Eternity and Legacy

Larry Niven & Jerry Pournelle: The Mote in God's Eye and The Gripping Hand

#21 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3526 posts) -

Thanks for the suggestion man. You're the second person to do so and I really want to read the trilogy but is there a collection Im missing? On Amazon theres a paperback Omnibus that contains the three main stories and 2 short stories that tell the whole story but I cant seem to find it on the Black Library site. Do I really have to dish out $25 for the series (not counting the short stories mind you)? Kinda steep for old books...

#22 Posted by airshocker (29520 posts) -

@airshocker said:

Thanks for the suggestion man. You're the second person to do so and I really want to read the trilogy but is there a collection Im missing? On Amazon theres a paperback Omnibus that contains the three main stories and 2 short stories that tell the whole story but I cant seem to find it on the Black Library site. Do I really have to dish out $25 for the series (not counting the short stories mind you)? Kinda steep for old books...

Hmm, it seems they've taken down the Eisenhorn omnibus. I would seriously consider buying it on Amazon even though it won't be in ebook format. It's a fantastic primer to get into the W40K universe and some of the best novels I've ever read.

#23 Posted by Detroit222 (5296 posts) -

One more: The Postman by David Brin. (IGNORE THE MOVIE!) The book was a wonderful and funny look at post-apocalyptic America.

#24 Posted by Boddicker (2703 posts) -

I know it's not considered "hard" sci-fi, but Flowers for Algernon I cannot recommend enough. It's about a mentally challenged man that thru a science experiment slowly develops superhuman intelligence.

It's the only book I've ever read that had me bawling like a woman.

#25 Posted by Gamesterpheonix (3526 posts) -

I know it's not considered "hard" sci-fi, but Flowers for Algernon I cannot recommend enough. It's about a mentally challenged man that thru a science experiment slowly develops superhuman intelligence.

lol Ill give it a look just for that.

@Gamesterpheonix said:

@airshocker said:

Hmm, it seems they've taken down the Eisenhorn omnibus. I would seriously consider buying it on Amazon even though it won't be in ebook format. It's a fantastic primer to get into the W40K universe and some of the best novels I've ever read.

And....NOOOOOOOOOOO...whyyyyyyyyyy. It would be so nice on my Kindle damn it. I mean, the only reason why I got my kindle was because I was reading various paper books and like the reading experience on the kindle but damn. That really sucks. Do you think they will bring it back?

#26 Edited by airshocker (29520 posts) -

@Gamesterpheonix said:

@Boddicker said:

lol Ill give it a look just for that.

@airshocker said:

@Gamesterpheonix said:

@airshocker said:

And....NOOOOOOOOOOO...whyyyyyyyyyy. It would be so nice on my Kindle damn it. I mean, the only reason why I got my kindle was because I was reading various paper books and like the reading experience on the kindle but damn. That really sucks. Do you think they will bring it back?

Well they have it bundled with the Ravenor series, which is also great and also by Dan Abnett, but it's expensive. Or you could just buy the three novels by themselves, but you won't get the short stories that come with it. The three novels are being sold by themselves on the website in ebook format.

#27 Edited by Gamesterpheonix (3526 posts) -

Ya I saw that they were being sold separately. Kinda lame. I contacted their support to see if theres an Omnibus on the way or anything like it. We'll see.

#28 Edited by ultimate-k (2348 posts) -

Infinite love is the only truth everything else is an illusion, fantastic sci-fi adventure about Reptailn aliens taking over the human race and reprograme them in their image so the human race become batteries of fear, and these interdemensional aliens pose as our leaders. Great read and loads of science fiction in

#29 Posted by ReturnedBro (55 posts) -

I know it's already been said several times, but if you haven't read Dune, you need to go out and get it ASAP. Before compiling to-read lists of this or that genre, go out and get the best - Dune. I'm not even a sci-fi guy when it comes to books, but Dune is so epic that its appeal transcends beyond the sci-fi niche. It's a must-read.

#30 Posted by _en1gma_ (14934 posts) -
@Zyamaman said:

Hyperion Cantos, by Dan Simmons.

This.

#31 Posted by xdude85 (4397 posts) -

George Orwell's 1984.