Schindler's List (Jewish People in OT Where You At?)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Sajedene
Member since 2004 • 13718 Posts

Watching this epic movie again. Thoughts?

Personally, I love it. It was well made and a great way to present a great True story. I love how it was filmed and the minimal use of color. Truly stands the test of time. (Cant even believe this was made in 93)

And I always see religious threads about Christianity, Muslims, and Athiesm -- wanted to know who are Jewish here.

Avatar image for XD4NTESINF3RNOX
XD4NTESINF3RNOX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 XD4NTESINF3RNOX
Member since 2008 • 7438 Posts
haven't seen it yet shall i rent it from netflix??
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178883 Posts

Excellent movie....but I'm not Jewish so I guess it doesn't count.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
As a man of the judaic faith I think Schindler's List is fantastic (albeit very sad, but that is to be expected). Definitely my favorite Spieldberg picture.
Dylan_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Dylan_11
Member since 2005 • 11296 Posts

This reminds me that I just watched Fiddler on the Roof again not to long ago. Great film.

Back to topic I actually have never seen Schindler's List, should probably get on that.

Anyone see the film Defiance with Daniel Craig? I liked that movie too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts

One of my favorite movies. Not jewish.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Sajedene

Excellent movie....but I'm not Jewish so I guess it doesn't count.

LJS9502_basic
Oh it counts.. I am not Jewish either... but I would like to see who here is in OT. Since I know most of who are of other or non-faith based. Just out of curiosity.
AAllxxjjnn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AAllxxjjnn
Member since 2008 • 19992 Posts
Awesome movie.....not so great watching it in a class full of insensitive High School kids making horrible comments....
Robodawg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#9 Robodawg11
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

Im a jew, not a very religous one, but a lot of my cousins and stuff are pretty hard core jews.

Robodawg11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Robodawg11
Member since 2007 • 517 Posts

Awesome movie.....not so great watching it in a class full of insensitive High School kids making horrible comments....AAllxxjjnn

Oh i know!! A lof of my friends give me **** all the time for being jewish, but it doesnt really bother me because i just went with it and made jokes too. After watching Schindlers list and talking about the holocaust with my dad its kind of changed me a lot and be more sensitive and caring for my people.

Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#11 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

I think one doesn't have to be of the Jewish faith to even appreciate and/or enjoy Schindler's List. The film is great for what it is and that's showing that people can have a capacity to do the basest evil imaginable on another person but then it also shows how the opposite is also true. No matter what one may think about Spielberg as a filmmaker this film counts as a highwater mark for him.

Those who have watched it before or about to see it for the first time should check out Claude Lanzmann's documentary on the Holocaust, Shoah. This documentary had a big influence on Spielberg in addition to his stories he's heard from relatives.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#12 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
It's a really good movie but it's overrated. Still one of Spielberg's few films that I like. I thought The Color Purple was a better film though.
fiscope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fiscope
Member since 2006 • 2426 Posts

Haven't seen it yet, but i heard it packs quite an emotional punch.

AncientNecro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 AncientNecro
Member since 2003 • 4957 Posts
just a quick note, never laugh at this movie while watching it with your jewish friends... they don't like that
Lonelynight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Lonelynight
Member since 2006 • 30051 Posts
Never seen it, but it seems like an interesting film.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Sajedene

Haven't seen it yet, but i heard it packs quite an emotional punch.

fiscope

I cry every time I see it. At the scene with the ghetto purge and when they did the "health" check and the scene with the kids.

ETA: The scene with Goeth and Helen was a very good one too. One sided conversation ftw.

pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
i loved it as well. liam neeson was great in it (as he is in every movie)
barcx17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 barcx17
Member since 2008 • 3782 Posts

It's one of my top 10 favorite films of all-time. Ralph Fiennes and Liam Neeson are both amazing in the movie.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

It was well made and a great way to present a great True story.

Sajedene

It was based on a true story, but it took quite a bit of, shall we say an artistic license with the actual facts. Oskar Schindler didn't have much to do with the list, he was in jail at the time. There are also persisting rumors that he beat and stole from 'his Jews'.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

I'n not Jewish, but I've seen the movie at high school last year (thankfully I had a class full of mature students :P), and I must say, the movie is quite good. It is definetely emotional, especially at the end, where [spoiler] Schindler was talking about how he could have saved more people. :( [/spoiler]

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Sajedene

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]

br0kenrabbit

It was based on a true story, but it took quite a bit of, shall we say an artistic license with the actual facts. Oskar Schindler didn't have much to do with the list, he was in jail at the time. There are also persisting rumors that he beat and stole from 'his Jews'.

Perhaps.. Artistic license is always there. And for the rumors... who's to say. True or not, they didn't seem to bother the ones who were at the end of the film or the ones who insisted this film be made. Bottom line is - the guy saved lives. Isn't that what it is all about?
FlyingArmbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 FlyingArmbar
Member since 2009 • 1545 Posts

One of the most up-lifting and feel good movies of our time. Truly inspirational.

V4LENT1NE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 V4LENT1NE
Member since 2006 • 12901 Posts
Its one of the greatest films of all times.
_en1gma_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 _en1gma_
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

It's a classic and trult amazing movie. I'm not a Jew just saying

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Sajedene"]

Sajedene

Perhaps.. Artistic license is always there. And for the rumors... who's to say. True or not, they didn't seem to bother the ones who were at the end of the film or the ones who insisted this film be made. Bottom line is - the guy saved lives. Isn't that what it is all about?

The screenplay is based on the book, which is listed by it's publisher and the Library of Congress as a work of Fiction. There's a reason for this.

About the end, Oskar Shindler had piles of cash when he went into hiding. And he wasn't honored by the Jews in the 1950's as the end of the movie says, it was ummm....hold on lemme check...

Hey I found something better, here, and also here.

Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade but history should really be understood and not through the eyes of Hollywood.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Sajedene

[QUOTE="Sajedene"][QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

The screenplay is based on the book, which is listed by it's publisher and the Library of Congress as a work of Fiction. There's a reason for this.

About the end, Oskar Shindler had piles of cash when he went into hiding. And he wasn't honored by the Jews in the 1950's as the end of the movie says, it was ummm....hold on lemme check...

Sorry, I don't want to rain on your parade but history should really be understood and not through the eyes of Hollywood.

Two reviews that have corrected dates and also listed the rumors you heard. No resources. And just to clarify the definition of fiction and non fiction - fiction is when a story is related in a form of narrative, presented in an artistic manner with the intent to entertain. Non-fiction is a representation of a subject, regardless of legitimate truth, presented to be fact. I can write a book about the Sasquatch and it could still be non-fiction, just like I can write a book about the holocaust and it be fiction. Not to rain in on you raining in on your parade, but I would like to think that most of us here are smart enough to know that when Hollywood makes a "true" story - it is based on fact - but translated in a way to entertain. Spielberg made enough sense to try and put in some faults of Schindler into the film - but being that his research into the life of a man is based on biased eyes of people who saw a man as something more than a man... then it is pretty understandable. And if you take note of the commentary or even trivia information regarding the movie, they themselves will provide you with some "historical/factual errors" they choose to make (like Stern not being the one who made the list).
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Sajedene"] Perhaps.. Artistic license is always there. And for the rumors... who's to say. True or not, they didn't seem to bother the ones who were at the end of the film or the ones who insisted this film be made. Bottom line is - the guy saved lives. Isn't that what it is all about? Sajedene

Two reviews that have corrected dates and also listed the rumors you heard. No resources. And just to clarify the definition of fiction and non fiction - fiction is when a story is related in a form of narrative, presented in an artistic manner with the intent to entertain. Non-fiction is a representation of a subject, regardless of legitimate truth, presented to be fact. I can write a book about the Sasquatch and it could still be non-fiction, just like I can write a book about the holocaust and it be fiction. Not to rain in on you raining in on your parade, but I would like to think that most of us here are smart enough to know that when Hollywood makes a "true" story - it is based on fact - but translated in a way to entertain. Spielberg made enough sense to try and put in some faults of Schindler into the film - but being that his research into the life of a man is based on biased eyes of people who saw a man as something more than a man... then it is pretty understandable. And if you take note of the commentary or even trivia information regarding the movie, they themselves will provide you with some "historical/factual errors" they choose to make (like Stern not being the one who made the list).

The reviews were listed because I found them relatively quickly and they contained the content I wanted to purvey. The information I listed before posting the reviews came from my own memory from the thousands of books I own on the Second World War. Yeah, I'm a bit of a history buff. Seeing as how it's nearly 5am, I can't rightly go rummaging about my collection for the exact sources, but they stand as they are.

One would also assume that if you were aware that the movie wasn't a true story much at all that you wouldn't have presented it as such in your first post.

true-satanist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 true-satanist
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts
I didn't care for the movie. I'm not Jewish, either.
Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Sajedene

br0kenrabbit

The reviews were listed because I found them relatively quickly and they contained the content I wanted to purvey. The information I listed before posting the reviews came from my own memory from the thousands of books I own on the Second World War. Yeah, I'm a bit of a history buff. Seeing as how it's nearly 5am, I can't rightly go rummaging about my collection for the exact sources, but they stand as they are.

One would also assume that if you were aware that the movie wasn't a true story much at all that you wouldn't have presented it as such in your first post.

There is a Schindler, there is a list, there are people who were saved. All true. The story true... how the story was presented to get the facts across... liberties were taken. Really now. Are we just going to be skewing words around and nitpicking on a guy who is long gone? Why? Can't we just enjoy the movie and praise it for what it is? You were the one who came in here wanting to say "oh but he's not that great!" Don't really care. Bottom line, he was great enough to save people. Not many can say that. I say it before, and I will say it again... is that not what matters?
Buck_Hotep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Buck_Hotep
Member since 2003 • 10589 Posts

Whether everything in the film was true or only some or even all fabricated in the end it showed a piece of history dramatically recreated that people needed to be shown and reminded of. Nitpicking as to the authenticity of the facts in the film misses the point about what the film represented. If one wanted to know true facts about the events in the film or about the Holocaust itself then there are many fine documentaries one can watch instead. Most of the best classics in film based on true stories and events have been manipulated in some way to make it more entertaining or at least make them fit the filmmakers vision. The fact that these films continue to be considered classics and the best in their film wasn't because of their complete authenticity.

This is why I added in my original post that people should check out Shoah after watching Schindler's List. The former being a documentary to help balance out the dramatic license made with the latter.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="Sajedene"] Two reviews that have corrected dates and also listed the rumors you heard. No resources. And just to clarify the definition of fiction and non fiction - fiction is when a story is related in a form of narrative, presented in an artistic manner with the intent to entertain. Non-fiction is a representation of a subject, regardless of legitimate truth, presented to be fact. I can write a book about the Sasquatch and it could still be non-fiction, just like I can write a book about the holocaust and it be fiction. Not to rain in on you raining in on your parade, but I would like to think that most of us here are smart enough to know that when Hollywood makes a "true" story - it is based on fact - but translated in a way to entertain. Spielberg made enough sense to try and put in some faults of Schindler into the film - but being that his research into the life of a man is based on biased eyes of people who saw a man as something more than a man... then it is pretty understandable. And if you take note of the commentary or even trivia information regarding the movie, they themselves will provide you with some "historical/factual errors" they choose to make (like Stern not being the one who made the list). Sajedene

There is a Schindler, there is a list, there are people who were saved. All true. The story true... how the story was presented to get the facts across... liberties were taken. Really now. Are we just going to be skewing words around and nitpicking on a guy who is long gone? Why? Can't we just enjoy the movie and praise it for what it is? You were the one who came in here wanting to say "oh but he's not that great!" Don't really care. Bottom line, he was great enough to save people. Not many can say that. I say it before, and I will say it again... is that not what matters?

His motivations for saving those Jews had nothing to do with him being a good person. What he told the Nazis in the film is the real reason he wanted to keep them: They made him money. Yes, he corresponded with them, yes he took measures to make sure they weren't killed, but his motivation was pure profit.

But that's not even what I have a problem with. I have a problem with Hollywood in general because I don't think they take their position seriously when it comes to portraying actual events. To paraphrase the great Orwell: They who write the past control the future.

The reasons I dislike this movie are the same reasons I dislike Oliver Stones JFK: They've made a generation of people ignorant of the facts.

Sajedene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Sajedene

Whether everything in the film was true or only some or even all fabricated in the end it showed a piece of history dramatically recreated that people needed to be shown and reminded of. Nitpicking as to the authenticity of the facts in the film misses the point about what the film represented. If one wanted to know true facts about the events in the film or about the Holocaust itself then there are many fine documentaries one can watch instead. Most of the best classics in film based on true stories and events have been manipulated in some way to make it more entertaining or at least make them fit the filmmakers vision. The fact that these films continue to be considered classics and the best in their film wasn't because of their complete authenticity.

This is why I added in my original post that people should check out Shoah after watching Schindler's List. The former being a documentary to help balance out the dramatic license made with the latter.

Buck_Hotep
I had to bump this to the second page... because someone might have missed it. Well said.
MetallicaKings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 MetallicaKings
Member since 2004 • 4781 Posts

br0kenrabbit

His motivations for saving those Jews had nothing to do with him being a good person. What he told the Nazis in the film is the real reason he wanted to keep them: They made him money. Yes, he corresponded with them, yes he took measures to make sure they weren't killed, but his motivation was pure profit.

But that's not even what I have a problem with. I have a problem with Hollywood in general because I don't think they take their position seriously when it comes to portraying actual events. To paraphrase the great Orwell: They who write the past control the future.

The reasons I dislike this movie are the same reasons I dislike Oliver Stones JFK: They've made a generation of people ignorant of the facts.

what are you talking about? he made no profit from the jews. He never made a weapon that actually worked. He lost all his money. What the hell are you talking about?
br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 br0kenrabbit

what are you talking about? he made no profit from the jews. He never made a weapon that actually worked. He lost all his money. What the hell are you talking about?MetallicaKings

Actual history, and not the Hollywood bull.

Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#35 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts

[QUOTE="MetallicaKings"]

what are you talking about? he made no profit from the jews. He never made a weapon that actually worked. He lost all his money. What the hell are you talking about?br0kenrabbit

It's proven in history that Schindler was never successful, he never profited off the Jews and he actually went bankrupt saving them as he had to buy supplies for them off the black market.

After the war he was a failed business man. When he died his hospital stay was covered by social welfare...

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 br0kenrabbit

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

[QUOTE="MetallicaKings"]

what are you talking about? he made no profit from the jews. He never made a weapon that actually worked. He lost all his money. What the hell are you talking about?Toriko42

It's proven in history that Schindler was never successful, he never profited off the Jews and he actually went bankrupt saving them as he had to buy supplies for them off the black market.

After the war he was a failed business man. When he died his hospital stay was covered by social welfare...

Mr. Schindler was not a very good business man. I didn't say he profited from his Jews, I simply stated that such was his intent. And at the time his factory was liberated, Mr. Schindler was still a wealthy man. However, he could not take that wealth with him when he went into hiding. I'm not saying he died rich, he didn't, but he also didn't spend his every cent on the Jews. He still had plenty of money left before fleeing. This is fact.

Edit: I found the book I got all this from, had to rummage through the basement for a minute. It's called 'Oskar Schindler: The Untold Account of His Life, Wartime Activities, and the True Story Behind The List' and the ISBN number is 081333375X.

gobo212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gobo212
Member since 2003 • 6277 Posts
The book was better but Ralph Fiennes was great in the movie.
Baranga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38 Baranga
Member since 2005 • 14217 Posts

I spent a few months researching Schindler's story for a dissertation. Both the movie and the book are a lot different from the real story.

The book is better, but it lacks the movie's emotional impact. The writing is a bit sterile.

darksword1123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 darksword1123
Member since 2004 • 30121 Posts
Great film.....saw it in one of my classes in school.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

Excellent movie.One of the few I shed a tear with.
Liam Neeson is God.
Also props to Ralph Fiennes and Ben Kingsley

true-satanist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 true-satanist
Member since 2009 • 97 Posts
Great film.....saw it in one of my classes in school.darksword1123
Did they show the part with 'boobs?'