Scariest movie of all time my [SECOND MOD EDIT]

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By i-rock-socks
Member since 2007 • 3826 Posts

I just recently watched the exorcist after hearing multiple sources claim "it's the scariest movie of all time" and by God are they wrong. I've never been so damn bored in my life. It's "scares" are few and far between and i'didnt give a damn about any of the characters at all.

I don't think it's bad cause I didn't find it scary. I simply found it bad and not scary. I don't find John carpenters "The Thing" scary at all, but I still love that movie, but the exorcist was just too boring for me with no scares.

Anyone here find the exorcist scary?

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Ok then.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I did. Heavy on tension and atmosphere. Quite enjoyed it.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

In 1973 it would be looked upon much differently than today. The "scary" of The Exorcist has merit because it isn't the typical "scary" over-the-top nonsense we see today.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#5 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

The Exorcist gets my vote.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

I remember catching The Exorcist on TV late on a winter night. That movie almost made me piss my pants. I stayed tucked in on the couch with my blanket, refusing to get up to go to the bathroom until the movie ended and I had to go to bed.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 i-rock-socks

@xdude85: if you don't have anything to say don't force the matter

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

@i-rock-socks: Most people who think the Exorcist is scary watched it for the first time close to the year it released, so it's not so much by today's standards.

I have a friend who swears the scariest movie of all time is Poltergeist because he watched it when he was 3 years old. To me Poltergeist borders on sweet.

Also, in my opinion there are no scary movies. There are tense movies, there are movies with jump scares but there are no scary movies...

Avatar image for LostProphetFLCL
LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LostProphetFLCL
Member since 2006 • 18526 Posts

I think the issue is that the movie is just really outdated by today's standards. Watched it years back and found it boring as well. Thing is I have watched scary movies all my life, and by the time I got around to seeing the Exorcist it just lacked any impact as I had already been exposed to so much of the horror genre.

Saying that I have for whatever reason found quite a few more recent horror movies to be pretty effective lately like the Conjuring and Sinister, and the Conjuring in particular isn't exactly the most original movie of all time, so maybe the Exorcist is just a bad movie that benefitted by being the first of it's kind.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

Movies are only scary when you're a kid. If you're an adult trying to find a film that will actually scare you good luck with that.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12 lamprey263  Online
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

all viewing experiences are different, can't say what was wrong with yours, could have been mood going in, time of day you watched it, the entertainment setup where you watched it, how tired you were, how dark it was, was the surround sound cranked, was their company, did your company talk during the, was there anybody to create an ambivalent atmosphere while the movie played, were you distracted doing anything else, were you drunk (ruins movies), where you high on pot (enhances movies), was it cold or warm inside viewing environment, all these things matter

what were the particulars of your viewing experience?

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

maybe when it came out

Shadow4020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Shadow4020
Member since 2007 • 2097 Posts

@Motokid6 said:

Scariest movie for me was Grave Encounters first time I saw it. And maybe the first Grudge.

It wasn't the scariest I've seen, but it was surprisingly good.

The Exorcist is a good movie, but I don't see why some call it the scariest of all time.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Wickerman777 said:

Movies are only scary when you're a kid. If you're an adult trying to find a film that will actually scare you good luck with that.

And this is precisely why parents should show their kids the scariest movies possible. Kids only have a short window in which they can get that kind of experience from a movie, and most parents waste it because "my child isn't old enough." Screw that. You show your kids the scary movies when they're still young enough to actually get scared.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#16 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@i-rock-socks: When it released in theatres, people were running out screaming. Some were getting sick. For the time, it was the scariest movie. It's all psychological. Scary movies theses days are dumb as ****. Nothing but jump scares.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LostProphetFLCL

@MrGeezer: I saw Stephen Kings "It" when I was two. One of the only times in my life where I had nightmares, lol.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

Despite what hipsters will tell you, it's not scary, and it aged very poorly.

I can get older people being scared by it though. At the time it was really scary. Anybody younger than 30 claiming that doesn't know anything about horror films.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Were you reading sources from 20 years ago? For it's time, it was definitely outside the box.

Also, nothing is scary if you cannot suspend your disbelief.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL said:

@MrGeezer: I saw Stephen Kings "It" when I was two. One of the only times in my life where I had nightmares, lol.

My grandfather lent me his copy of the book when I was 10. I never had nightmares over it, but that was some really intense reading material for a 10 year old. I couldn't put it down. :P

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By LostProphetFLCL

@mattbbpl: The visual of the evil clown was a bit much for my two year old mind, lol. I here the book is a lot more gruesome.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#22 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

When it was released, and as a child when I watched it on a bad quality VHS, it scared the complete shit out of me. Espcailly being religious.

As a horror movie (or just plain old movie) it is great imo. The opening scene with the priest opposite the statue with the hounds screaming, the slow build up of weird shit going on - with subliminal images of Captain Howdy and the climax scenes when you start seeing his face directly morphing into Linda Blairs, fucking awesome.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BobRossPerm
Member since 2015 • 2886 Posts
@xdude85 said:

Ok then.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BobRossPerm
@uninspiredcup said:

When it was released, and as a child when I watched it on a bad quality VHS, it scared the complete shit out of me. Espcailly being religious.

As a horror movie (or just plain old movie) it is great imo. The opening scene with the priest opposite the statue with the hounds screaming, the slow build up of weird shit going on - with subliminal images of Captain Howdy and the climax scenes when you start seeing his face directly morphing into Linda Blairs, fucking awesome.

It's a masterful piece of cinema. It is still creepy to this day and there's something gritty and real about it that every CGI jump scare fest these days is missing. Every horror movie today looks like The Ring.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By i-rock-socks

@foxhound_fox: it was recent like the past five years

And I could suspend my disbelief fine, but I couldn't suspend my boredom :(

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 i-rock-socks

@bobrossperm: I disagree. No suspense, no atmosphere, not even any cheap thrills, this movie had nothing of value. I could think of many even older movies that did it better and stand the test of time better.

kaealy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kaealy
Member since 2004 • 2179 Posts

@i-rock-socks said:

@bobrossperm: I could think of many even older movies that did it better and stand the test of time better.

Like?

-Blasphemy-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Blasphemy-
Member since 2005 • 3369 Posts

the blair witch project had me pissing in my pants.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@bobrossperm said:
@uninspiredcup said:

It's a masterful piece of cinema. It is still creepy to this day and there's something gritty and real about it that every CGI jump scare fest these days is missing. Every horror movie today looks like The Ring.

Bob Ross my fellow, I agree. if one thing brings a a horror movie down for me, it's CGI, regardless of how great the technology has become, it seems to always looks fake and out of place.

I believe The Exorcist used a relatively simple overlay - to great effect.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 i-rock-socks

@kaealy: house of wax 1953, the house on haunted hill 1959, the pit and the pendulum 1961, the haunting 1963.

Some movies from the same decade which I believe did it better; the brood, the omen, Halloween, alien, the wicker man, suspiria. And I could go on

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

@-Blasphemy- said:

Haha! Yeh me to i think its a very simple but realistic and very well done horror movie, one of my favorite of all time. Watched it at the cinema late one night the messed up thing is we had to walk back through a wooded area to get home, scary as.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

@i-rock-socks said:

@xdude85: if you don't have anything to say don't force the matter

Yeah, that's cute kid.

Ariabed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ariabed
Member since 2014 • 2121 Posts

Like most people have said, back in the day the film would have been the scariest movie of all time, prob right up untill and well into the 90's, but it hasnt stood the test of time.

But still try watching it on your own in the dark at night time, and dont close the room door all the way,+ leave a little gap of darkness and keep staring at it every so often.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#34 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@i-rock-socks: Most horror movies are a joke, you'll need to have suspense on a Hitchcock level to make it even near fun to watch...

silkylove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 silkylove
Member since 2002 • 8579 Posts

Well it was super scary when it came out. It's probably not a scary now because of age, but also because people in general have become so cynical that they would rather pick a movie apart than actually suspend disbelief and enjoy them for what they are, entertainment. This is especially true for horror movies because nobody wants to admit to being scared. Of course the scariest movies I've seen lately have all been documentaries.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#36 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

the first time I watched the exorcist it scared the living hell out of me I nearly shit my pants but after seeing the movie on several occasions it doesn't scare me as much as it did the first I watch it.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@i-rock-socks said:

I just recently watched the exorcist after hearing multiple sources claim "it's the scariest movie of all time" and by God are they wrong. I've never been so damn bored in my life. It's "scares" are few and far between and i'didnt give a damn about any of the characters at all.

I don't think it's bad cause I didn't find it scary. I simply found it bad and not scary. I don't find John carpenters "The Thing" scary at all, but I still love that movie, but the exorcist was just too boring for me with no scares.

Anyone here find the exorcist scary?

im going to assume you are under the age of 30..scary to you are quiet moments leading up to a JUMP with a loud THUD in there and loud music...right?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@VanDammFan said:

im going to assume you are under the age of 30..scary to you are quiet moments leading up to a JUMP with a loud THUD in there and loud music...right?

Although I agree that jump scares are terrible are you saying that scary is a deep voice on a little girl, profanity and pea soup?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By uninspiredcup  Online

@korvus said:
@VanDammFan said:

Although I agree that jump scares are terrible are you saying that scary is a deep voice on a little girl, profanity and pea soup?

Most of the Exorcist is a slow build up. (for me) the creepiness comes from the sense that Pazuzu is in the background. The payoff is great, with some great effects, but that is the least interesting part of the movie - much like how the fly which appears for all but 5 minutes is the least interesting part of David Cronenberg's remake.

Lots of very subtle, creepy little scenes like this. (and yea, i know people will say it's not scary).

Loading Video...

The opening as well is fantastic - just a bunch of sound effects the two silhouette figures, who obviously do battle later on.

Loading Video...

I suppose it helps if you are religious or at least believe in a real sense of good and evil.

BobRossPerm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 BobRossPerm
@uninspiredcup said:
@korvus said:
@VanDammFan said:

Most of the Exorcist is a slow build up. (for me) the creepiness comes from the sense that Pazuzu is in the background. The payoff is great, with some great effects, but that is the least interesting part of the movie - much like how the fly which appears for all but 5 minutes is the least interesting part of David Cronenberg's remake.

Lots of very subtle, creepy little scenes like this. (and yea, i know people will say it's not scary).

Loading Video...

The opening as well is fantastic - just a bunch of sound effects the two silhouette figures, who obviously do battle later on.

Loading Video...

I suppose it helps if you are religious or at least believe in a real sense of good and evil.

Don't listen to them. Let them watch paranormal activity or some underground disturbing cult movie. They are just shock value shit and lack any sort of art in comparison though. The Exorcist, Rose Mary's Baby etc are cinematic masterpieces regardless of how much the average teenager lacks an understanding of their concept. They aren't just mindless gore fests, far from it. They are movies that make you question morals, and as you say, good and evil. They are something beyond what is cited as horror these days. They actually have meaning other than yet another haunted house that a family just moved into with their defacto weird little kid and their imaginary friend. It's all the same shit with the same blue hued camera lenses and FX.

One thing technology has ruined is movies and music. Every pop song has the same pro tools preset and every movies cinematography is almost identicle to eachother. The last movie I thought actually did new good shit was Interstellar. Really enjoyed it.

fenriz275

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fenriz275
Member since 2003 • 2383 Posts

It's scarier when you watch it at 5 years old and still believe in demons and other spooky things. Not so much later when you get older and grow out of that kind of nonsense.

LostProphetFLCL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 LostProphetFLCL

Holy shit it is amazing how much some people overrate this movie...

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 uninspiredcup  Online

@fenriz275 said:

It's scarier when you watch it at 5 years old and still believe in demons and other spooky things. Not so much later when you get older and grow out of that kind of nonsense.

I think you will find a fairly large percentage of the world is religious and believe in the concept of demons and/or evil in some form.

Avatar image for nothingformoney
NothingForMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NothingForMoney
Member since 2014 • 466 Posts

The scariest movie ever should've gone to Justin Bieber: Never Say Never Again

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@uninspiredcup: You don't need to sell it to me, I quite enjoyed the movie and I agree that it's creepy, but creepy doesn't necessarily mean scary and that was I was saying, that in my opinion the movie isn't scary, not that it wasn't a good movie.

@bobrossperm: Judgmental much? Why do you feel the need to put down people who have different opinions from your own? Just because someone don't enjoy a particular movie you like doesn't mean they "lack understanding" they just have different tastes than you. Besides, who cares what movies they like? It doesn't (shouldn't) influence your own enjoyment of them so just live and let live.

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 i-rock-socks

@VanDammFan: I don't know exactly what scares me but it certainly isn't this snorefest. If you can feel fear from little girls with a little makeup... Well, good for you?

i-rock-socks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 i-rock-socks

@xdude85: don't strain your brain

cdragon_88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 cdragon_88
Member since 2003 • 1840 Posts

@ariabed said:
@-Blasphemy- said:

Haha! Yeh me to i think its a very simple but realistic and very well done horror movie, one of my favorite of all time. Watched it at the cinema late one night the messed up thing is we had to walk back through a wooded area to get home, scary as.

I fell asleep watching blair witch. I'd say it was more boring than scary. Every family member who watch it with me that night agreed with that fact lol. Only horror movie I was scared of was freddy cougar. I don't recall which one(s) but I was scared shitless of him and couldn't fall asleep with crapload of sleepless nights because of him and how he shows up in dreams. Good times as a kid.

LexLas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 LexLas
Member since 2005 • 7317 Posts

They all say the same thing on their titles, and commercials, lol ..

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

@LostProphetFLCL:

The clown from "It" is played by the transvestite lead from "Rocky Horror Picture Show" movie....Tim Curry.

Fun fact.

As for "The Exorcist" I saw it at the movie theatre in the 70's when I was 15 or 16, that may account for part of why it scared me, but the lingering mind **** after the movie was the main reason. That night my family was gone from home and thoughts of unseen spirits lingered in my mind. No other movie has been anywhere close to having that kind of impact on me.

I rate "The Exorcist" as the best horror movie to date as I think it was the first to take on possession by demons head on without flinching, and I don't think it's ever been done better. It's influence is enormous. It's also an excellent movie in its own right. The book is even scarier, couldn't even get a quarter of the way into it.