Saudis arrest 41 for "plotting to celebrate Christmas"

• 101 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

[QUOTE="worlock77"]When we cease our dependancy on oil or they run out of it, whichever comes first.airshocker

We get most of our oil from Canada, actually.

Yes we do and that does not negate my point whatsoever.
SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 1

#52 SaudiFury
Member since 2007 • 8709 Posts

Aero5555
just to clarify, i don't mean to say fize is literally schitzo, i mean it simply as a euphemism.

-----------------

and maybe it's just the language, but i'm not insisting on dating, i just do. i don't require the blessing or permission of another person to do it. When we got the age where dating starts to be kinda expected (you know puberty stage and all) my parents allowed it but made very strict guidelines as to what's expected by us. it's why i've said on this forum before that yes i am a social liberal and i have and do fight for liberal causes (when i think they're right), but in my personal relationships - especially the girlfriend ones - i am pretty conservative/traditional in my attitudes. and i don't have much patience for girls who want to buck every traditional trend just because *insert social theory*.

-----------------

but my loath for the PVPV doesn't stem from not liking stupid, embarrassing and awful things they do sometimes - things that i have both read, watched, and witnessed first hand (but never on the receiving end of their wrath). It comes also from philosophical perspective as well. On how governments should operate with regards to all of it's people, and the rights of the individual.

------------------

As for the folks you don't like, I've seen those individuals, at the same time i try to make one more distinction. I try to bear in mind that sometimes these liberal who seem like they're pissing on the country, are really just revealing something unpleasant about the society when it is more comfortable to think it's not that big of a problem. Like i don't often diss PVPV, I do tend to whenever they come up and they've done something stupid, embarrassing (to the country) or horrific - and those stories come up often on this forum.

but if the topic in general comes up, and i'm asked for my opinion, i'm not backing down simply to be polite, or to let someone else then dominate the discussion. sometimes i don't have the energy to bother, but if i'm being asked to be engaged in the discussion, I think sometimes people have strong negative reactions to fellow Saudi's criticizing the country and society (sometimes harshly so) is because it's from within, it's personal, and it very much feels like a kind of betrayal of your countrymen.

I don't always see it that way. I sometimes see it like the person who has to point out the 800 gorilla in the room. like to use an example, like when people get upset when you say the emperor has no clothes, when your not supposed to say he's naked.

and those strong reactions sometimes that strikes me as knee-jerk reactionary very similar to how American conservatives react to liberals (if you don't love this country then leave it talk) in America - it's not new, and it's not going to ever go away.

I do think - very strongly so - that such discourse of different opinions FROM within (not some convention being held by non-Arabs, non-Muslims, in Vienna somewhere).We desperately need free social and political discourse within, and not one based on subordinating one group under the other, or one where one group or the other takes a strong reaction that they wanna eliminate their opponent all together. Not one where if the liberal congregate on a private forum, have it forced shut down by hacking attacks, or to have shut out for the intended audience by the governments internet censors.

We desperately need free exchange of ideas, and with that comes a lot of hostile reactions to some opinions and ideas - it's to be expected.

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#53 Aero5555
Member since 2006 • 1333 Posts

Saudi,

how do manage to stay calm and friendly in the face of this constant, moral superiority infused, judgment aimed at you

pie-junior

Sorry, Pie. Kinda confused here. Are you asking or are you describing a Saudi?

If you're asking, it's basically because a Muslim is taught to be patient, first and foremost. And secondly, I grew up here. It's my life. I know how to deal with these situations. We're human, after all. We do get those moments where you think this is too much. But it depends on the person and his lifestyle.

For me, personally I'm used to it and I socialize with people who live this life with me everyday. I also love my country. It's basically patience mixed with making the most of what you have. Other people don't have money to spend on food, a roof to live under... etc. I thank God for what I have.

I know that, as a Muslim, this patience will reward me in the end. Be it now or in the after-life.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="Aero5555"]

pie-junior

Saudi,

how do manage to stay calm and friendly in the face of this constant, moral superiority infused, judgment aimed at you

i'm pretty numb to it, don't feel offended by it, i've had this said to me many times before in the past. Try not to get hung up on it.

I know where i stand for the most part on these sorts of issues. it's not like a half-baked them yesterday.

but it's also a matter of how we were raised, little over half my life now has been living outside of Saudi (mostly in the US, a little bit in other places), if I end up finding work i could very well end up back there and for the most part be absolutely fine. but i'm gonna assume for a moment Aero is full Saudi (i don't know, so forgive if i'm wrong), and i know Fize is. I don't believe (nor do i know for a fact) that i either of them have lived outside of the Middle East for any substantial time. I was born with an American mother, and a Saudi father. and i've grown in both countries for extended time.

I do very much feel like a person of two worlds, because there are things i love about America and Saudi. I love how tight families are in Saudi, but i love the discourse and the protected freedoms in America. and i hate the opposites of either, i don't particularly like how broken American families are and how that seems to be considered ok. but i also don't like how limiting Saudi is in so many ways for all the people who are not male, straight, and a strict follower of the Salafi Islam as understood and prescribed by the religious authority.

I also happen to have a Saudi family that had no strong links - not anymore - to the tribes, never has been an issue, has never come up, we don't abide by that stuff.

Simply put, i just had a different upbringing, and had the privilege of being exposed to another society - and I was intellectually curious for things outside my own little box. I didn't discard them out of hand because they were foreign, not Islamic, or my sensitivities.

There are only three places on this Earth i call home, i instantly feel at home when i'm there.

1. Al-Khobar, Eastern Province
  2. Twin Cities, Minnesota
  3. Houston, Texas
Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Aero5555

You assume wrong, Fury. Read your PMs.

I've also lived, to what is equivalent to, a few years abroad. I've seen the world. Love music, concerts. Have friends from different faiths... etc.

We're not that different. Trust me. I guess my upbringing is the only real difference between us. I have many female friends but have never dated and was not allowed to as a little kid. These experiences imprinted my life values. That's all.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]Don't Muslims like Jesus? I'm confused. I thought he's a prophet in Islam. GrayF0X786

anyone who has more then half a brain knows that christmas is a pagan belief, and has nothing to do with christianity in the first place.

Anyone with half a brain knows what the term Christmas refers to....
GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#57 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

[QUOTE="th3warr1or"]Don't Muslims like Jesus? I'm confused. I thought he's a prophet in Islam. LJS9502_basic

anyone who has more then half a brain knows that christmas is a pagan belief, and has nothing to do with christianity in the first place.

you a Christian? what sect?

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts
Off with their heads! Such heresy cannot continue! Christmas... Pheh
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 pie-junior
Member since 2007 • 2866 Posts

SaudiFury

That's nice and everything,

but you could afford to be a little acerbic about stuff

Aero5555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Aero5555

pie-junior

We are. But I personally balance it out. I don't disrespect my culture. We condemn the obvious abuse.

By the by, your wording of the code as Salafi I don't like, Fury. There's no such thing as Salafi practiced by PVPV. You watch too much YouTube me thinks.

pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 pie-junior
Aero5555
I have no idea what you're on about
Avatar image for Victorious_Fize
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 Victorious_Fize
Member since 2011 • 6128 Posts
I'm beginning to like these threads.
And about Fize being schitzo, or your belief that he is. I dunno exactly what topics you disagreed on. But maybe he comes off like he's your best friend a second and an enemy the next because, like me, he loves you as a brother in Islam and wishes you the best. Yet he despises your loath of the PVPV, your insistence on dating, but at the same time prays to Allah that he will guide you to the straight path some day. I also wish you the same. Allah yehdeek ya rab.Aero5555
Pretty much this my boy. LETS BE FRIENDS BRO
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Victorious_Fize
lol, schlitzo, that is so like me.
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="Aero5555"]pie-junior

i don't think he knows you're a jewie so he's like, sugarcoating you and stuff
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 pie-junior
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="Aero5555"]Victorious_Fize

This is better than MEMRI
Victorious_Fize

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Victorious_Fize
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="Victorious_Fize"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] I have no idea what you're on about

This is better than MEMRI

nothing is better than MEMRI
pie-junior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 pie-junior

nothing is better than MEMRIVictorious_Fize- self proclaimed conservative Saudi

you're a marketing genius, fize.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#68 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

did they seize vast stockpiles of tinsel and coloured lights? Those bastards could have brought joy to thousands, Thank Allah they were thwarted.

GrayF0X786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#69 GrayF0X786
Member since 2012 • 4185 Posts

I'm beginning to like these threadsVictorious_Fize
LOL i told you.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#70 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
Atheist must love Muslims ... lol
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#71 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Atheist must love Muslims ... lolhippiesanta
Why? many athesits celebrate Christians and they're also atheism is i8llegal in Saudi Arabia.

ultrapc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ultrapc
Member since 2010 • 808 Posts

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]Atheist must love Muslims ... loltoast_burner

Why? many athesits celebrate Christians and they're also atheism is i8llegal in Saudi Arabia.

Atheism/Apostasy is punished by death there .
KC_Hokie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 KC_Hokie
Member since 2006 • 16099 Posts
[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]Atheist must love Muslims ... lolultrapc

So is witchcraft. That's one modern place there that Saudi Arabia!
Toph_Girl250

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#74 Toph_Girl250
Member since 2008 • 48978 Posts
Wow, dem Saudis sure are anti-fun, if they think trying to have a joyous time by celebrating Christmas is a crime.
ultrapc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 ultrapc
Member since 2010 • 808 Posts
[QUOTE="ultrapc"][QUOTE="toast_burner"]Why? many athesits celebrate Christians and they're also atheism is i8llegal in Saudi Arabia.KC_Hokie

So is witchcraft. That's one modern place there that Saudi Arabia!

Even here in Dubai they still arrest people for witchcraft .
WhiteStormy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 WhiteStormy
Member since 2007 • 243 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

According to a study by OpenDoors, Saudi Arabia is one of the three "toughest countries to be a Christian" (Afghanistan and North Korea are the other two) which I guess means that Saudi Arabia is one of the top three countries were Christians are persecuted.

Edit: North Korea is in first place as regards persecution of Christians (in North Korea it is illegal to be a Christian and some 70,000 people are estimated to have been sent to labor camps for their faith) while Saudi Arabia is in second place (Saudi Arabia bans public practice of any faith other than Islam). So if my reading of the article linked to above in this post is correct, in North Korea it is illegal to be Christian, in Saudi Arabia it is legally okay to be a Christian in your own home but if you practice your faith in public that is illegal.

DataUsageLimit

Wait, so what are north koreans then?

They worship Kim Jong-il as a god. I wish that I were joking, but it's true.

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

That's the reason I don't recognize all Arabs as Muslims.

SaudiFury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 SaudiFury

[QUOTE="SaudiFury"]

pie-junior

I felt like i toe'd the line fine given some of the response. I care a lot about getting my message across, and if i come off too strong then i worry i'll get the emotional reaction of being too offended or too hurt to properly respond, and end up just get attacks on my character or having my opinion discarded out of hand because i'm x y z..

i'm not preaching the choir here.

being told that they'll pray for me to find the right path, is not new, i know some people would be offended by that. it's been said to me many times before. But i always hope that even after they say that. when they are alone. i hope for a few moments, they remember and think about what i said - my ideas - and not focus on discounting me because of who i am, where i'm from, what groups I belong to, or what right do i have to question the unquestionable.

that's the hope at least.

and i figure trying to be nice and cordial - for the most part - is the right way to go.

-----------------

Also the fact that you are Jewish - which i didn't know beforehand - has no bearing on whether i be nice to you or not. Also that you were not part of the argument and i wasn't arguing against you. the very most anybodies ethnicity, religion, gender, age etc. is it gives you an understanding of where someone is coming from in the argument/discussion. not to be brandish'd as a means of discarding a person's opinion outright, or as a reason to instantly treat that person with suspicion as though they have secret malicious intentions for you.

-----------------

Also to Fize, when i said schitzo, i did'nt mean it to be taken as an offense, - i felt the rest of my sentences made that clear. Again, it was not my intention to be offensive or for it to be a backhanded comment either.

-----------------

Anyways peace out.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"][QUOTE="GrayF0X786"] anyone who has more then half a brain knows that christmas is a pagan belief, and has nothing to do with christianity in the first place.

GrayF0X786

Lol LJ being willfully ignorant for the upteenth time

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 wis3boi

Atheist must love Muslims ... lolhippiesanta

stop being an idiot

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

That's the reason I don't recognize all Arabs as Muslims.

alim298
Which is good, since not all Arabs are Muslims.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178837 Posts

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"]

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"] Anyone with half a brain knows what the term Christmas refers to....wis3boi

Ignorant? Are you aware what the term Christmas means or are you just being a dumb ass troll for the umpteenth time....you spelled the word wrong speaking of ignorant by the way. Stick with words that are more your speed...don't try to get pseudo on us all now.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#83 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts
Hope nobody got caught getting a Pokemon game for Christmas, because you know that's like Zionist propaganda to them.
Zeviander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 Zeviander
Member since 2011 • 9503 Posts
[/Saudi Arabia]
GOGOGOGURT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 GOGOGOGURT
Member since 2010 • 4470 Posts

Muslims get more and more absurd everyday.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 hippiesanta

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]Atheist must love Muslims ... lolwis3boi

stop being an idiot

but u are an idiot ....
wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 wis3boi

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="hippiesanta"]Atheist must love Muslims ... lolhippiesanta

stop being an idiot

but u are an idiot ....

Nice evidence you have there.

Alienware_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Alienware_fan
Member since 2010 • 1514 Posts

Das how we roll..**** the hataz.

one_plum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 one_plum
Member since 2009 • 6821 Posts

Das how we roll..**** the hataz.

Alienware_fan

Stop plotting.

mattisgod01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#90 mattisgod01
Member since 2005 • 3476 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="GrayF0X786"] you a Christian? what sect?

LJS9502_basic

Ignorant? Are you aware what the term Christmas means or are you just being a dumb ass troll for the umpteenth time....you spelled the word wrong speaking of ignorant by the way. Stick with words that are more your speed...don't try to get pseudo on us all now.

Are you aware of What Thursday means?

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 wis3boi

[QUOTE="LJS9502_basic"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

mattisgod01

Are you aware of What Thursday means?

He's probably never heard of sol invictus or saturnalia either

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#92 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="DataUsageLimit"] Wait, so what are north koreans then?DataUsageLimit

I'm not sure what you mean.

In religious terms.

I don't know. I think the government requires them to worship the leader of N. Korea (Kim Jong Un) as well as his two predecessors.

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 wis3boi

[QUOTE="DataUsageLimit"][QUOTE="whipassmt"] I'm not sure what you mean.

whipassmt

In religious terms.

I don't know. I think the government requires them to worship the leader of N. Korea (Kim Jong Un) as well as his two predecessors.

and that's all they do. The government literally is their religion

whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="DataUsageLimit"] In religious terms.wis3boi

Some, maybe even many N. Koreans do practice one religion or another, probably mostly Buddhism and Christianity, even though technically they aren't allowed to.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

[QUOTE="whipassmt"] I don't know. I think the government requires them to worship the leader of N. Korea (Kim Jong Un) as well as his two predecessors.

whipassmt

Some, maybe even many N. Koreans do practice one religion or another, probably mostly Buddhism and Christianity, even though technically they aren't allowed to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_North_Korea

• Irreligion: 15,460,000 (64.3% of population, the vast majority of which are adherents of theJuchephilosophy)
  • Korean Shamanism: 3,846,000 adherents (16% of population)
  • Cheondoism: 3,245,000 adherents (13.5% of population)
  • Buddhism: 1,082,000 adherents (4.5% of population)
  • Christianity: 406,000 adherents (1.7% of population)
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 whipassmt

[QUOTE="whipassmt"]

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

toast_burner

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_North_Korea

• Irreligion: 15,460,000 (64.3% of population, the vast majority of which are adherents of theJuchephilosophy)
  • Korean Shamanism: 3,846,000 adherents (16% of population)
  • Cheondoism: 3,245,000 adherents (13.5% of population)
  • Buddhism: 1,082,000 adherents (4.5% of population)
  • Christianity: 406,000 adherents (1.7% of population)

Interesting. I've never heard of Cheondoism or Juche. What are the main branches of the Juche philosophy, Aranch Juche and Apol Juche? Howbout kheirat juche and vechy juche and cranwaspui juche?

SirWander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 SirWander
Member since 2009 • 5176 Posts

lol

at least they weren't beheaded or something

Quaker-w00ts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98 Quaker-w00ts
Member since 2009 • 1646 Posts

"Plotting to celebrate Christmas"... :lol:

Pirate700

Videodogg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Videodogg
Member since 2002 • 12611 Posts

I think i would kill myself if i was forced to live in Saudi Arabia.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 hippiesanta
the younger saudis will one day hype sodom and gomorah there .... one day...