Sale of Recreational Marijuana Begins in Washington State.

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/07/08/washington-marijuana-sales_n_5545187.html

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2014-07-08/washingtons-high-hopes-for-legal-pot-sales-start-small#r=hp-lst

From the second link:

Washington voters approved legalization in 2012. One reason it has taken so long for sales to begin is that unlike Colorado, which used existing sellers of medical marijuana, Washington built its recreational business from scratch. An effective pot tax rateof 44 percent is keeping prices high.At $20 a gram, the price at Cannabis City is about double that in the black market.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That won't work, twice the price? I would simply keep buying on the black market if that were the case. 44% tax rate? And that is why they fail.

But overall, I'm glad of course. This is the future.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

@Master_Live: Pfft. It took them this long and it's -that- much? We've got em licked in this department (we being Colorado). $50 per 1/8 is the norm for both inside and outside of dispensaries in CO. $20 a gram means 1/8 is $70 in WA, which while I'm sure that's more expensive than normal I doubt it's "double" like the article claims.

-Byshop

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4217 Posts

I know it's the future and all, but something about openly flaunting Marijuana sales just bothers me.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

People didn't actually think it was going to be cheap, did they?

I'm glad I don't smoke. Alcohol seems like a better means to waste my money :)

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

20$ per gram? You better get some good shit from them or you are getting scammed. Also, even 10$ per gram is expensive.

chaplainDMK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 chaplainDMK
Member since 2008 • 7004 Posts

What's with the siggy? BluRay going somewhere or something?

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#7  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Something recently happened that makes me detest Marijuana. I'm glad they're selling it at such a high price.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Master_Live

@chaplainDMK said:

What's with the siggy? BluRay going somewhere or something?

He quitted a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/offtopic-discussion-314159273/should-mark-whalberg-s-films-be-boycotted-31310290/?page=1/

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Master_Live

@turtlethetaffer said:

Something recently happened that makes me detest Marijuana.

Come on, tell us.

daviddiorio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By daviddiorio
Member since 2013 • 31 Posts

Gross, I hate the smell of the stuff it gives me a headache. However, the amount of money we currently spend on law enforcement because it's labeled a schedule 1 drug, for some dumb reason considering meth is schedule 2, gives me a bigger headache so I guess it's for the better.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

So far, the idea is a complete failure. If people are already using dealers and getting their weed through dispensaries at $8-$12 gram, who the **** would even consider buying weed retail? It costs $75 to get a medical marijuana card and anyone can get one.

I suspect that when there's more competition between these retail dispensaries, prices should drop...a lot. The absence of competition lets them charge anything they really want.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By turtlethetaffer
@Master_Live said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

Something recently happened that makes me detest Marijuana.

Come on, tell us.

I'd really rather not. It's one of those things where it's most likely not really justified and I'm probably being really petty but that doesn't change the way I feel about it.

And before you say that there's no reason to hate on pot, I never really said there was and I admitted to being petty, unlike a lot of people who hold pointless beliefs.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

@Master_Live: Pfft. It took them this long and it's -that- much? We've got em licked in this department (we being Colorado). $50 per 1/8 is the norm for both inside and outside of dispensaries in CO. $20 a gram means 1/8 is $70 in WA, which while I'm sure that's more expensive than normal I doubt it's "double" like the article claims.

-Byshop

$20 a gram is double than normal price in WA, sounds like CO isn't the place to be if you enjoy weed, $50 for 1/8 is insanely steep.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

I'm still on the fence about legal weed. However, there is only one way to find out if it should be legal so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 turtlethetaffer

@outworld222 said:

I know it's the future and all, but something about openly flaunting Marijuana sales just bothers me.

Me too. The idea that so many folks want it legalized is also a little disturbing to me. It definitely has its medical uses, but it still unsettles me.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

$20 a gram. 44% tax. Yeah that's a pretty outrageous tax on cannabis. I imagine people are just going to start growing their own, or buy on the black market. Medical marijuana shops don't even charge that much in the state, from what I've heard many medical shops offer quality product marginally cheaper than illegal sales prices.

This isn't a first for Washington State, they really fucked up liquor sales in the state when they moved from state run stores only to privatized sales. They taxed bottles then they had a liquor sales tax in addition. It did nearly nothing to make alcohol cheaper. Many that tried making a go at having a mom and pop private liquor stores in my area bellied up as a result.

xdude85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 xdude85
Member since 2006 • 6559 Posts

Who fucking cares.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#18 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I am not impressed.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 KHAndAnime

@xdude85 said:

Who fucking cares.

A lot of people, I assume.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

@xdude85: Just because it isn't a big deal to you doesn't mean it isn't a big deal to others. It is a big deal to those who use weed, to those who want weed illegal, to the state, and to the government.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts

@jasean79 said:

Interested because I have the exact opposite view. I would much rather smoke weed over drinking. A lot more healthier with less bad side effects.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 AmazonTreeBoa

@xdude85 said:

Who fucking cares.

What rock did you just crawl out from under that you are so out of touch with reality?

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#23  Edited By plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jasean79 said:

Interested because I have the exact opposite view. I would much rather smoke weed over drinking. A lot more healthier with less bad side effects.

Inhaling smoke of any kind isn't good for you.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

$20 a gram is double than normal price in WA, sounds like CO isn't the place to be if you enjoy weed, $50 for 1/8 is insanely steep.

There are always cheaper options, but $50 an eight is for high quality KB. In Colorado, the medical and recreational prices are pretty inline with the old prices, but the quality is very consistently high. This is in part because there is so much competition.

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KHAndAnime

@airshocker said:

Who the hell says you have to smoke it? Smoking is archaic. Marijuana enthusiasts vaporize now. You can also eat it, drink it, etc.

@Byshop said:

There are always cheaper options, but $50 an eight is for high quality KB. In Colorado, the medical and recreational prices are pretty inline with the old prices, but the quality is very consistently high. This is in part because there is so much competition.

Here in WA it's $25 an 1/8 of some of the best MJ you can find. You can spend more if you want, but here it's $25 for an 1/8 of extremely high quality stuff. $50 for 1/8 is nuts to me. If I paid $50 for 1/8 I'd expect the nugs to be gold and dipped in kief.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AmazonTreeBoa

@airshocker said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jasean79 said:

You don't have to smoke it. There are other ways of consuming it. Either way, it is still better than alcohol.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts

$20 a gram is not ridiculous in a lot of parts of the country

At $10 some might question the quality of the product

Besides buying just a gram is a waste of money regardless

SO I HEAR

I don't engage in illegal activities so I wouldn't know.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jasean79

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jasean79 said:

To each his own. But I don't crave weed like I do a nice cold beer on a hot day. Alcohol is so much more versatile and satisfying than a plant.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By KHAndAnime

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

SO I HEAR

Who cares if it's not ridiculous in other parts of the country? It's not being sold in other parts of the country, it's being sold here - where you can get better product and more of it for less than half the price. The article expresses that they expect a line, but I'm hard pressed to believe it because dealers would get to them before they even make it to the cash register. Buying just a gram is a waste indeed - the place that just opened up is only selling 2g per customer it appears...

@jasean79 said:

To each his own. But I don't crave weed like I do a nice cold beer on a hot day. Alcohol is so much more versatile and satisfying than a plant.

Drinking is much less versatile, you couldn't have it any more backwards. You can't even operate vehicles or do anything worthwhile under the influence of alcohol.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@KHAndAnime said:

@jasean79 said:

Drinking is much less versatile, you couldn't have it any more backwards. You can't even operate vehicles or do anything worthwhile under the influence of alcohol.

...you're not supposed to do any of that while high either

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jasean79

@KHAndAnime said:

@jasean79 said:

That's not what I meant. I was referring to the plethora of different kinds of alcohol and the endless possibility of drink mixes. In that respect, it's much more versatile.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sun_Tzu-

@KHAndAnime said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

SO I HEAR

Who cares if it's not ridiculous in other parts of the country? It's not being sold in other parts of the country, it's being sold here - where you can get better product and more of it for less than half the price. The article expresses that they expect a line, but I'm hard pressed to believe it because dealers would get to them before they even make it to the cash register. Buying just a gram is a waste indeed - the place that just opened up is only selling 2g per customer it appears...

Given the option to buy something legally for $20 compared to buying it illegally for $10, many would go the legal route. Buying from drug dealers is a hassle, especially from the low-level dealers one would have to go through to purchase a gram.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

SO I HEAR

Some people don't want to deal with dealers. When the recreational dispensaries opened in Colorado, lines were hours long in the early days but that has normalized significantly. While it may be cheaper in WA, $50 per eighth is closer to the national average (with some states/cities with more draconian laws ranging up to almost double that). Cities like NYC are known for very high prices and low quality.

"It's not being sold in other parts of the country, it's being sold here..."

Obviously that's not true, since Colorado has already been doing recreational sales since the beginning of the year.

Besides that, I guess you're right... provided you completely forget about the 23 states that allow medical cannabis sales. In most of these states, getting a card is basically a formality and some of these states (like California) don't even require registration. It's estimated that there are at least 500k registered card carriers in CA alone. When Colorado "legalized" weed, it was really more of a lateral step because tons of people were already buying legal weed through medical dispensaries.

-Byshop

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

Some people don't want to deal with dealers. When the recreational dispensaries opened in Colorado, lines were hours long in the early days but that has normalized significantly. While it may be cheaper in WA, $50 per eighth is closer to the national average (with some states/cities with more draconian laws ranging up to almost double that). Cities like NYC are known for very high prices and low quality.

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

Given the option to buy something legally for $20 compared to buying it illegally for $10, many would go the legal route. Buying from drug dealers is a hassle, especially from the low-level dealers one would have to go through to purchase a gram.

You're forgetting there already is a legal route and has been for a long ass time - medical dispensaries. Most people who buy a lot of weed already have medical cards - as I just said, anyone can get them.

"It's not being sold in other parts of the country, it's being sold here..."

Obviously that's not true, since Colorado has already been doing recreational sales since the beginning of the year.

-Byshop

You're taking my statement completely out of context - you can get weed in lots of other parts of the country, my point that you missed is that the weed being sold here isn't in line with the price of other weed in the area. What the retail price is compared to other parts of the country is completely irrelevant, if you're in Seattle, you're not driving to another state to buy weed.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

You're taking my statement completely out of context - you can get weed in lots of other parts of the country, my point that you missed is that the weed being sold here isn't in line with the price of other weed in the area. What the retail price is compared to other parts of the country is completely irrelevant, if you're in Seattle, you're not driving to another state to buy weed.

I'm still not following you. Your point was that people aren't leaving WA to go elsewhere to buy more expensive weed? Was somebody arguing that and I missed it?

Back on topic, the other advantage you get from dispensaries is variety of product. Most carry a wide array of edibles and commonly around a dozen different strains. In Colorado, the medical dispensaries also carry tincture and oils which can be used with vapes.

Not that I partake, but I lived in Boulder for 15 years so it's hard to not know about this stuff.

-Byshop

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#37  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

$20 a gram? Lol, good job being sensible about it and undercutting the illegal market. And amazingly I hear, people are consciously (or maybe not) buying it.

I know some people where I live that sell an ounce for $150.

I can't wait for it to be legalized entirely and can just grow my own.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By KHAndAnime

@Byshop said:

@KHAndAnime said:

I'm still not following you. Your point was that people aren't leaving WA to go elsewhere to buy more expensive weed? Was somebody arguing that and I missed it?

and

While it may be cheaper in WA, $50 per eighth is closer to the national average (with some states/cities with more draconian laws ranging up to almost double that). Cities like NYC are known for very high prices and low quality.

Hell, you just wrote what's above lol. The point that you so clearly missed (twice, I bolded where you missed it the 2nd time) is that these preceding statements are irrelevant because yes - people in WA state aren't driving to places where weed is double the price to buy it. Who cares if $50 isn't for an 1/8 isn't that expensive elsewhere? It's not relevant. In Seattle, people are used to paying $40 or less for 1/8, so they aren't going to spring at the opportunity to pay $40 for a couple grams.

-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 -Sun_Tzu-

@KHAndAnime said:

You're forgetting there already is a legal route and has been for a long ass time - medical dispensaries. Most people who buy a lot of weed already have medical cards - as I just said, anyone can get them.

I don't see what the problem is then.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44556 Posts

So I read some other stuff which said that the retailer would like to keep it down to maybe $12/gram, which is decent if that does include the 44% tax calculated into it. It said it can range as high as $25/gram. I imagine initially due to lower supply and not enough growers that prices will be higher due to a supply and demand concerns. Hopefully over time the price goes down once more supply is available in the long run. Anyhow, I'm curious with it being legal for recreational use if that allows for people to grow their own much like people who get medicinal licenses can grow their own or have someone else grow it for them.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 KHAndAnime

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

I don't see what the problem is then.

Not necessarily a problem, I'm just saying that the recreational dispensaries can be a good idea but the execution right now is really poor and not enticing for people who live in Seattle. The black market will never disappear if it's a lot cheaper than recreational dispensaries, and I think the aim of recreational dispensaries are to squash out the black market.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Byshop  Moderator

@KHAndAnime said:

Hell, you just wrote what's above lol. The point that you so clearly missed (twice, I bolded where you missed it the first time) is that these preceding statements are irrelevant because yes - people in WA state aren't driving to places where weed is double the price to buy it.

I see. You misunderstood -my- point and you were arguing against a point I didn't make. You had said:

"sounds like CO isn't the place to be if you enjoy weed"

...which is a statement I was politely calling bullshit on with counterpoints (I was going a bit OT from the discussion of the merits of recreational dispensaries in WA). That's like saying California is a bad state for weed. Colorado has been known for weed since long before the advent of dispensaries, medical or otherwise. Boulder (and often Denver) consistently show up on most "top 10 weed cities" lists. Denver hosted the first US based Cannabis Cup, CU Campus in Boulder has an annual 4/20 celebration and the variety and quality available in this state is pretty well known. Even if WA is cheaper that hardly makes CO a bad state for weed (to my point that the prices here are actually pretty average).

-Byshop

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Master_Live

@xdude85 said:

Who fucking cares.

killzowned24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 killzowned24
Member since 2007 • 7345 Posts

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

God bless America.

I doubt most really into it even care about price. Their medical program passed 16 years ago and allows users to grow 15 plants and have 24 oz :P

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Byshop  Moderator

@killzowned24 said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

God bless America.

I doubt most really into it even care about price. Their medical program passed 16 years ago and allows users to grow 15 plants and have 24 oz :P

In Colorado it's like four plants and up to at least an ounce for "personal use". Granted, that's still a shitton of weed if it's just for one person.

-Byshop

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jasean79

What's the quality of weed that the dispensaries offer? Is it better than what you can get on the street?

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 AmazonTreeBoa

@jasean79 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jasean79 said:

I don't crave weed, but thinking beer is good for you on a hot day is a fool's way of thinking.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By jasean79

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jasean79 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@jasean79 said:

I don't crave weed, but thinking beer is good for you on a hot day is a fool's way of thinking.

You mean beer isn't the go-to drink after working on the lawn in the hot sun in the middle of July for 4 hours? lol

deeliman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deeliman
Member since 2013 • 4027 Posts

What kind of weed do they sell? Just one kind that costs 20$ per gram?

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KHAndAnime
@jasean79 said:

What's the quality of weed that the dispensaries offer? Is it better than what you can get on the street?

Dispensaries are the apex of pot. Compared to the black market, they're extremely self regulated and typically only sell high-quality product. They're much cheaper than going to dealers - most dispensaries will give you a few grams of weed simply for walking in and checking them out. If you just picked up your medical MJ card and live in Seattle, you could easily scoop up 20+ grams of free pot just by checking various dispensaries in the area. Also, unlike the majority of dealers, they have large selections of pot, concentrates (hash), edibles, etc.

@Byshop said:

@KHAndAnime said:

Hell, you just wrote what's above lol. The point that you so clearly missed (twice, I bolded where you missed it the first time) is that these preceding statements are irrelevant because yes - people in WA state aren't driving to places where weed is double the price to buy it.

I see. You misunderstood -my- point and you were arguing against a point I didn't make. You had said:

"sounds like CO isn't the place to be if you enjoy weed"

...which is a statement I was politely calling bullshit on with counterpoints (I was going a bit OT from the discussion of the merits of recreational dispensaries in WA). That's like saying California is a bad state for weed. Colorado has been known for weed since long before the advent of dispensaries, medical or otherwise. Boulder (and often Denver) consistently show up on most "top 10 weed cities" lists. Denver hosted the first US based Cannabis Cup, CU Campus in Boulder has an annual 4/20 celebration and the variety and quality available in this state is pretty well known. Even if WA is cheaper that hardly makes CO a bad state for weed (to my point that the prices here are actually pretty average).

-Byshop

I grouped you in with Sun Tzu's argument because my point and response is the same. Regardless of what the price is for the region, it sounds like you're paying roughly double compared to CA/WA simply because of where you live. I don't care if CO has a history of being a pot frontier, $50 for a quality 1/8 in dispensaries is too much. I wouldn't even touch the stuff if it were nearly that expensive here, that's getting up to Cocaine-like prices. If you enjoy using marijuana on a regular basis, CO isn't where you're going to want to be, because by simply living there the already potentially expensive habit gets twice as expensive. If you're rich, then obviously it isn't an issue, but the majority of people aren't. Similarly, if I moved somewhere and gas cost twice as much, I probably wouldn't drive either - you need to understand once things hit a certain price, they lose the majority of their value and appeal. Another example and metaphor of what I mean is that I wouldn't be able to justify spending $20 on a single potato, even if all potatoes in the area cost $20, because once I enjoy that one potato, eventually I'm going to want to make french fries...

Relative to other Bible-belt states, CO is a marijuana sanctuary, but not necessarily one I'd ever want to visit.