Russia bans swearing in films, theater, media, and arts

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

BranK and GazaAli getting owned in the same thread? Excellent. Love seeing mods being shown up.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 TruthTellers
Member since 2012 • 3393 Posts

@toast_burner said:

@TruthTellers said:

@toast_burner said:

Russia is on a downwards spiral.

So far from the truth. Russia's economy is based on natural resources and is in complete control of the gas pipelines that heat Europe during the Winter months. Russia is growing more powerful every day, but I don't expect a moron like you to make a thought based on reason and logic.

Did I really need to specify that I was referring to it's society, not it's economics? You'd have to be incredibly stupid not to understand what I meant.

You never gave any reason for your opinion so it's still a stupid comment.

vl4d_l3nin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#53 vl4d_l3nin
Member since 2013 • 3700 Posts

@chronoschris said:

So Russia is turning into another North Korea.. Or was it always like that?

lol looks like Russia is going full circle

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#54 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@TruthTellers said:

@toast_burner said:

@TruthTellers said:

@toast_burner said:

So far from the truth. Russia's economy is based on natural resources and is in complete control of the gas pipelines that heat Europe during the Winter months. Russia is growing more powerful every day, but I don't expect a moron like you to make a thought based on reason and logic.

Did I really need to specify that I was referring to it's society, not it's economics? You'd have to be incredibly stupid not to understand what I meant.

You never gave any reason for your opinion so it's still a stupid comment.

No you just have the mind of a 4 year old and need everything explained to you. Why would you assume I was talking about economics? This thread has absolutely nothing to do with economics.

TruthTellers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 TruthTellers
Member since 2012 • 3393 Posts

@toast_burner: You're right, I was mistaken about the economic argument.

Brutal_Elitegs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Brutal_Elitegs
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
Loading Video...

HoolaHoopMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By HoolaHoopMan
Member since 2009 • 14724 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Its not like banning swearing in movies would undermine the quality of life for Russians or anything.

Limiting freedom of expression wouldn't undermine the quality of life? lol wut?

'Lets start banning Middle Eastern sounding words and names, I'm sure it wouldn't undermine the quality of Muslims' life!'

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#58 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts
Loading Video...

Mercuria1_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Mercuria1_King
Member since 2014 • 278 Posts

Russia is going down the drain.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:

@toast_burner said:

They are near the bottom already. This is behaviour one would expect of the Soviet regime.

Hmm, so America is on an upward spiral? Where they promote homosexuality on children's shows, where entire verses are bleeped out on the radio because of curses, where they teach young girls that being a slut is cool?

Russia is becoming the most true Christian nation on earth, while America and everyone else is turning their backs on Jesus.

zpluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 zpluffy
Member since 2011 • 281 Posts

Something is wrong with GazaAli.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@ps4hasnogames said:

@foxhound_fox said:

@toast_burner said:

They are near the bottom already. This is behaviour one would expect of the Soviet regime.

Hmm, so America is on an upward spiral? Where they promote homosexuality on children's shows, where entire verses are bleeped out on the radio because of curses, where they teach young girls that being a slut is cool?

Russia is becoming the most true Christian nation on earth, while America and everyone else is turning their backs on Jesus.

How do you promote being gay? Oh right you can't. what they teach in schools is not to bully other people because of their sexuality, race or gender.

Are you also annoyed that blacks can marry whites now?

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By GazaAli
Member since 2007 • 25216 Posts

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

Why is that a bad thing? You may not like it and you may feel that it goes against your own values and perception of liberty, but again the law does not target you. I personally find swearing in movies and shows humorous when done right of course, but if some people feel the opposite then so be it. If some people are feeling the need to promote traditional values then again so be it, whatever makes them sleep better at night. Its not like banning swearing in movies would undermine the quality of life for Russians or anything. I bet they have better things to worry about.

I know this may sound quite shocking to some of you, but there are cultures and peoples out there that do not share the same values of other- currently more dominant cultures. With that said, you may question the intentions and pretexts of that legislation, but that would be a different matter than questioning the legislation itself.

Because freedom is a natural human right. It doesn't matter if some cultures do not share those values because those people aren't given a choice on the matter. Humanity will never progress while some portion of us are stuck living under totalitarian control.

Its amazing how you guys believe the shit you say. Maybe its time for you to liberate Russians and bestow democracy upon them!

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

Why is that a bad thing? You may not like it and you may feel that it goes against your own values and perception of liberty, but again the law does not target you. I personally find swearing in movies and shows humorous when done right of course, but if some people feel the opposite then so be it. If some people are feeling the need to promote traditional values then again so be it, whatever makes them sleep better at night. Its not like banning swearing in movies would undermine the quality of life for Russians or anything. I bet they have better things to worry about.

I know this may sound quite shocking to some of you, but there are cultures and peoples out there that do not share the same values of other- currently more dominant cultures. With that said, you may question the intentions and pretexts of that legislation, but that would be a different matter than questioning the legislation itself.

Because freedom is a natural human right. It doesn't matter if some cultures do not share those values because those people aren't given a choice on the matter. Humanity will never progress while some portion of us are stuck living under totalitarian control.

Its amazing how you guys believe the shit you say. Maybe its time for you to liberate Russians and bestow democracy upon them!

It's amazing how at every turn you show your disdain for freedom of speech yet at the same time fail to understand that you actually hold that position

zpluffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By zpluffy
Member since 2011 • 281 Posts

@wis3boi:

But, but he thinks his fancy words would allow him to circle through conversations...Too much disdain can be a poison.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By GazaAli

@sherman-tank1 said:

Not taking a side here, but you are acting like it is wrong to care for those who are oppressed by a dictator that acts as the president of Russia (yes he is a dictator). Should we have no remorse for the people of Syria or Iraq? Or the men and women that suffer in Sudan? That is what your logic is saying.

I'm not against people caring for those who are oppressed, quite the contrary in fact seeing how that could actually benefit me. Consequently no, I'm not against people having remorse for the people of Syria or Iraq. What I'm against however is disingenuous remorse and benevolence, which are only expressions of some perceived expediency or disguised self-interest, being sold as genuine and humane. The only plausible reason as for why Russia receives flak from the west for its alleged human rights violations is because the west perceives in Russia a potential threat to its hegemony and dominance so it is in the best interest of western civilization to continue patronizing Russia and attempting to discredit and undermine it. Reflect with me further: If the concerns of western civilization for Russia's alleged human rights violations were genuine and of a benevolent nature then it'd only natural for them to be in direct proportion to the volume and severity of these violations and the resulting suffering that they inflict on Russians. In that scenario, the concerns of western civilization for the people of Syria or Iraq would also need to be in direct proportion to the volume of the suffering of those peoples. If you compare the volume and severity of the suffering of Russians under the Putin regime and say the suffering of Syrians under the Assad regime, and if you take this a step further and compare the attention and action both variants of suffering receive from the average western citizen then I believe you'll begin to understand my point of view, provided that you had any intention of impartially understanding to begin with. The average western citizen knows very little about the Middle East and he has little interest in it, which is why you hear the occasional "Duh its the Middle East, why not nuke it and get it over with". Its also the reason why the west lost its mind during the Crimea fiasco but didn't really bat an eye when entire states in the Middle East have been fully invaded. Furthermore, If western civilization committed itself for the emancipation of the Palestinian people just as half as it commits itself every time Putin farts we'd be way better off than we are now, keeping in mind that western civilization IS responsible for our misery. But I guess its too busy supporting Israel and providing it with the necessary resources for it to continue consolidating its unjust and inhumane dominance over us.

Now, western civilization is free to act upon whatever pretexts and perceived expediences as it sees suitable; there's no need however for malignant claims of benevolence and human values.

GazaAli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 GazaAli

@wis3boi said:

@GazaAli said:

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

It's amazing how at every turn you show your disdain for freedom of speech yet at the same time fail to understand that you actually hold that position

Which position exactly? And if you truly believe that I only have disdain towards freedom of speech then I honestly don't know what to say to you.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#68 Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

@GazaAli said:

@sherman-tank1 said:

Not taking a side here, but you are acting like it is wrong to care for those who are oppressed by a dictator that acts as the president of Russia (yes he is a dictator). Should we have no remorse for the people of Syria or Iraq? Or the men and women that suffer in Sudan? That is what your logic is saying.

The only plausible reason as for why Russia receives flak from the west for its alleged human rights violations is because the west perceives in Russia a potential threat to its hegemony and dominance so it is in the best interest of western civilization to continue patronizing Russia and attempting to discredit and undermine it.

Is that so.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

@GazaAli said:

Where do I begin..

• 1) you do not choose what country you were born and therefore you do not choose the laws (nor the culture).
  • 2) Just because swearing is legal does not mean moviemakers must using swearing, they have a freedom to or not. And if you don't like it then you don't have to watch it.
  • 3) If down the line people decide to lift the ban, it will be next to impossible to since politicians would rather not tarnish their image.
  • 4) Like many laws it has less to do with values and more to do with politics.
  • 5) If for example lawmakers decide to force women to cover their faces, they should be able to? In the name of preserving culture?
  • 6) It won't undermine quality of life, but if it won't improve quality of life either than why is it being made a law?

Furthermore you make it sound like the reaction to this law is based on some sort of cultural selfishness, as though western culture not banning swear words means we think no other culture else should. But if according to you it is not in our place to decide what is illegal in other cultures then how is it in the russian government's place to decide what is illegal for everyone else in their country? You are implying cultural homogeneity of the russian people which is basically racism.

Dogswithguns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#70 Dogswithguns
Member since 2007 • 11359 Posts

So what?!... and the US banned lots of things.

Wolf-Man2006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#71 Wolf-Man2006
Member since 2006 • 4187 Posts

I guess there's no time for Stalin... when it comes to banning social decay such as swearing and sneakers