Russia as the enemy in games. .

#1 Posted by AncientDozer (8129 posts) -

I remember, for a little while, people were complaining that Russia was always the penultimate villain and that people were ready for a new foe. That they never understood why it was always Russia. Bond vs Russia. US Army vs Russia. Russia vs Russia.

I can't help but think of that time now that Crimea has fallen and troops are building up.

In a way, I wonder if Battlefield and call of duty merely predicted the future. Hell, maybe they were preparing us for this. Are you guys ready to fight Russia?

#2 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

This thread...

I dont even know where to begin 0.o

#3 Edited by AncientDozer (8129 posts) -

@Nibroc420: Heh heh~

I'm sorry, I was just reminiscing on Battlefield 3 to 4 and that period where everyone was exasperated with Russia as the "big bad" and talking about hope for Homefront's success. It was a simpler time.

Well. . no, not really.

#5 Edited by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

@AncientDozer said:

I'm sorry, I was just reminiscing on Battlefield 3 to 4 and that period where everyone was exasperated with Russia as the "big bad" and talking about hope for Homefront's success. It was a simpler time.

Well. . no, not really.

Oh don't mind Nibroc, he would be just fine if Russia took over all of Europe Cold War style. It would be spun into some morbid form of "self-defense".

But yea, I think your thread is a little over the top. Russia went into a region and took it without resistance. If Ukraine really wanted to keep Crimea they should have sent Russians home in body bags, which tells me they didn't really care too much about Crimea. I certainly am not willing to send American troops home in body bags when Ukraine is not willing to put their own troops in them.

Will Russia continue into Ukraine proper? Who knows. They certainly would appears they are exploring that possibility. If they do roll into Ukraine I think things will get very dangerous very fast. But as a combat veteran I can personally tell you war is nothing like playing BF3, and no video game will ever prepare you for it.

1.) Not sure where you're getting that from, I've never even suggested such a thing... Also, Russia lost territory in the Cold War...

2.) For a long time, China was often our enemy in games. Movies often had China, or North Korea teaming up with the Russians (despite them being no real threat to anyone besides South Korea).
The anti-Russia thing mostly stems from the Cold war, people are still holding onto their prejudice, and remembering the days of anti-communist talk.

#7 Edited by Master_Live (15704 posts) -

Well, Hollywood generally refrains from having Chinese villains since that has become a huge market in the last decade or so. Russians villains peaked with Drago.

#8 Edited by one_plum (6364 posts) -

@Nibroc420 said:

The anti-Russia thing mostly stems from the Cold war, people are still holding onto their prejudice, and remembering the days of anti-communist talk.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/who-is-the-bully-the-united-states-has-treated-russia-like-a-loser-since-the-cold-war/2014/03/14/b0868882-aa06-11e3-8599-ce7295b6851c_story.html

After stumbling on this article, I think Russia's current anti-west stance may have indeed come from prejudice against it. According to the article, when the Soviet Union collapsed, Russia had a favourable view of the United States, but opinions changed when the west (more specifically NATO) tried to expand their influence in Eastern Europe in the 90s. In the early 00s, Putin came to power with a rather pro-west stance when he was first elected, that is until NATO continued to assert their presence in this decade. Perhaps NATO did this because they still thought Russia was still the enemy...

#10 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

@one_plum said:

@Nibroc420 said:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/who-is-the-bully-the-united-states-has-treated-russia-like-a-loser-since-the-cold-war/2014/03/14/b0868882-aa06-11e3-8599-ce7295b6851c_story.html

After stumbling on this article, I think Russia's current anti-west stance may have indeed come from prejudice against it. According to the article, when the Soviet Union collapsed, Russia had a favourable view of the United States, but opinions changed when the west (more specifically NATO) tried to expand their influence in Eastern Europe in the 90s. In the early 00s, Putin came to power with a rather pro-west stance when he was first elected, that is until NATO continued to assert their presence in this decade. Perhaps NATO did this because they still thought Russia was still the enemy...

Not surprising.

I wouldn't even put it solely on that though. Anyone can look at YouTube comments and see the sort of vitriol people are writing.
Can you imagine living in say... Iraq, watching Fox, seeing people bash your country, and everything Muslim; then going on YouTube and seeing such hateful comments?
With such a limited view on what is "America", it's not surprising to me if someone dislikes America because of it.

We recently had numerous countries bash Russia for their Anti-"Gay propaganda" laws. The media loved it, and people all over the internet witnessed the "Lets hate Russia" craze.
The Older folks are still worried about Russia because of the Cold War.

But yeah,

If you convince Group A that Group B hates them, and the convince Group B that Group A hates them.
Both will reciprocate the hatred, until one group or the other decides to stop; which is why i hated how they called Zimmerman "White", and Treyvon "Black" to spin a race war for tv ratings. It doesn't help anyone long-term.

#11 Posted by Stesilaus (3513 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

So why is Russia building up forces along all of Ukraine's borders? Even 150 miles north of Kiev?

I greet news of the troop build-up with a smile.

Seizing at least the eastern and southern Ukrainian states (which have Russian-speaking majorities) would be an appropriate Russian response to the unjust US/EU sanctions regime.

Most of the citizens of those states would greet their Russian liberators with joy, adulation, confetti, rose-petals etc., so the role of the troops would largely be limited to deterring reprisals by the NATO-installed Nazi government in Kiev.

#12 Posted by GazaAli (23592 posts) -

@one_plum said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Hmm interesting article. I'm kind of surprised to see a major American newspaper speaking some sense after the recent swift and massive wave of anti-Russia propaganda.
It was incredibly stupid and highly inappropriate for either the U.S or the EU to meddle with the Ukraine in the first place. This whole "Ukraine is an independent country" is BS. All major powers have allies and they have as much interest in them as the allies themselves have. A major power would perceive any meddling with a close ally and its political, economic and social conditions or any just unfavorable such conditions to be a threat to itself and would be in turn prompted to react to it to the extent of its abilities and to the extent of its interest. Consider a rather extreme and grotesque scenario in which Canada decides to become a pro-Russian, somehow anti-west country and welcomes Russia to come and build military bases on its soil. I highly doubt the U.S would stand still and utter this "Canada is a sovereign country that is free to do whatever it wants to do" crap. My own guess is that Canada would witness a fully fledged American invasion, considering how the U.S invaded for puny things in comparison to such a scenario.
With that said, I can't think of any legitimate reason why the west decided to start this fiasco. And now a sanctions regime has been instated, even though the extent of Russia's actions in the Ukraine is minimal and almost not a single drop of blood was shed. Meanwhile, the Ukraine is doomed to remain a collapsed state for many years to come, joining the club of recent countries hit by American democracy (think Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Tunisia and Syria).

#13 Posted by Master_Live (15704 posts) -

If you are surprise then that speaks to the restricted variety of reading material you are limiting yourself, unwillingness to look or maybe you just don't want to see. Plenty of articles and opinions pieces discussing many different angles to the Ukraine crisis including that one, since the beginning.

#14 Posted by deeliman (3446 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@one_plum said:

@Nibroc420 said:

Hmm interesting article. I'm kind of surprised to see a major American newspaper speaking some sense after the recent swift and massive wave of anti-Russia propaganda.

It was incredibly stupid and highly inappropriate for either the U.S or the EU to meddle with the Ukraine in the first place. This whole "Ukraine is an independent country" is BS. All major powers have allies and they have as much interest in them as the allies themselves have. A major power would perceive any meddling with a close ally and its political, economic and social conditions or any just unfavorable such conditions to be a threat to itself and would be in turn prompted to react to it to the extent of its abilities and to the extent of its interest. Consider a rather extreme and grotesque scenario in which Canada decides to become a pro-Russian, somehow anti-west country and welcomes Russia to come and build military bases on its soil. I highly doubt the U.S would stand still and utter this "Canada is a sovereign country that is free to do whatever it wants to do" crap. My own guess is that Canada would witness a fully fledged American invasion, considering how the U.S invaded for puny things in comparison to such a scenario.

With that said, I can't think of any legitimate reason why the west decided to start this fiasco. And now a sanctions regime has been instated, even though the extent of Russia's actions in the Ukraine is minimal and almost not a single drop of blood was shed. Meanwhile, the Ukraine is doomed to remain a collapsed state for many years to come, joining the club of recent countries hit by American democracy (think Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Tunisia and Syria).

I would highly doubt that the US would invade Canada in said scenario, unless they don't mind alienating themselves from the other western countries. And if Russia was really interested in being allies with Ukraine, they shouldn't have invaded Crimea, this move only pushed Ukraine further west, I think now to a point of no return.

#15 Posted by deeliman (3446 posts) -

@Stesilaus said:

@reaper4278 said:

So why is Russia building up forces along all of Ukraine's borders? Even 150 miles north of Kiev?

I greet news of the troop build-up with a smile.

Seizing at least the eastern and southern Ukrainian states (which have Russian-speaking majorities) would be an appropriate Russian response to the unjust US/EU sanctions regime.

Most of the citizens of those states would greet their Russian liberators with joy, adulation, confetti, rose-petals etc., so the role of the troops would largely be limited to deterring reprisals by the NATO-installed Nazi government in Kiev.

You can't be serious...

#17 Edited by vfibsux (4250 posts) -

@GazaAli Hmm interesting article. I'm kind of surprised to see a major American newspaper speaking some sense after the recent swift and massive wave of anti-Russia propaganda.

That's what happens when you only seek what you want to see, when it is spoon fed to you here you are forced to see it. I want to challenge you to go to this article on CNN, which is basically a summary of what is going on right now there. Show me where the "propaganda" is inb this story please........I want to see what qualifies as western propaganda to you. This is a challenge, bring it or stfu. I will allow you to find some other major news outlet reporting that is spewing propaganda, go for it. You can even use Fox News. Reporting only, no commentary.

Ukraine being an independent country is BS? And on what facts are you basing this? And your analogy with Russian bases in Canada fails hard, because the last time I check the U.S. has no bases in Ukraine. If we did this would be a MUCH bigger crisis than it currently is. You thinking the United States would invade Canada over allying with Russia is rofl funny. We would play it exactly as we did throughout the Cold War, behind the scenes CIA covert stuff. The Russians did it as well. You really are showing your ass here buddy.

With that said, I can't think of any legitimate reason why the west decided to start this fiasco. And now a sanctions regime has been instated, even though the extent of Russia's actions in the Ukraine is minimal and almost not a single drop of blood was shed.

This is all we can agree on, I would rather we did nothing because the U.S. has no interest in Ukraine.....esp for a people who allowed an invasion without a shot fired. Why should I die for them when they don't give a shit?

Meanwhile, the Ukraine is doomed to remain a collapsed state for many years to come, joining the club of recent countries hit by American democracy (think Iraq, Afghanistan, Egypt, Tunisia and Syria).

rofl, typical GazaAli propaganda.

#18 Posted by Chaos_HL21 (5288 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

Well other than one Ukrainian serviceman killed after an attack on his base. There was also a Crimean Tatar found dead with 'Signs of Torture". The person was protesting against Russian Troops when he was hauled away by men in military style jackets.There is also reports of pro-Ukrainians in the Crimea getting attacked, as well as reporters. This is the Crimea not Ukraine. You keep on talking about the Ukraine being a collapsed state...

Just because you really wish for something to happen doesn't make it true. You should stop following Russian state media.

#19 Posted by CommandoAgent (812 posts) -

@reaper4278 said:

@AncientDozer said:

Well. . no, not really.

Oh don't mind Nibroc, he would be just fine if Russia took over all of Europe Cold War style. It would be spun into some morbid form of "self-defense".

But yea, I think your thread is a little over the top. Russia went into a region and took it without resistance. If Ukraine really wanted to keep Crimea they should have sent Russians home in body bags, which tells me they didn't really care too much about Crimea. I certainly am not willing to send American troops home in body bags when Ukraine is not willing to put their own troops in them.

Will Russia continue into Ukraine proper? Who knows. They certainly would appears they are exploring that possibility. If they do roll into Ukraine I think things will get very dangerous very fast. But as a combat veteran I can personally tell you war is nothing like playing BF3, and no video game will ever prepare you for it.

"But yea, I think your thread is a little over the top. Russia went into a region and took it without resistance"

Iraq comes to mind, Libya, bombing of Yugoslavia, Serbia, Bosnia and America took those regions without any resistance from the apparent international community. What Russia is doing has every right to do. Compared to NATO where its surrounding Russia.

#20 Posted by lbjkurono23 (12544 posts) -

Predictions from a video game? hmmm when is the alien invasion. :P