Romney Blames Loss on Obamas Gifts to Minorities and Young Voters

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
What a jerkoff: http://thecaucus.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/14/romney-blames-loss-on-obamas-gifts-to-minorities-and-young-voters/

Saying that he and his team still felt troubled by his loss to President Obama, Mitt Romney on Wednesday attributed his defeat in part to what he called big policy gifts that the president had bestowed on loyal Democratic constituencies, including young voters, African-Americans and Hispanics. In a conference call with fund-raisers and donors to his campaign, Mr. Romney said Wednesday afternoon that the president had followed the old playbook of using targeted initiatives to woo specific interest groups especially the African-American community, the Hispanic community and young people. In each case, they were very generous in what they gave to those groups, Mr. Romney said, contrasting Mr. Obamas strategy to his own of talking about big issues for the whole country: military strategy, foreign policy, a strong economy, creating jobs and so forth. Mr. Romneys comments in the 20-minute conference call came after his running mate, Representative Paul D. Ryan of Wisconsin, told WISC-TV in Madison on Monday that their loss was a result of Mr. Obamas strength in urban areas, an analysis that did not account for Mr. Obamas victories in more rural states like Iowa and New Hampshire or the decrease in the number of votes for the president relative to 2008 in critical urban counties in Ohio. With regards to the young people, for instance, a forgiveness of college loan interest was a big gift, Mr. Romney said. Free contraceptives were very big with young, college-aged women. And then, finally, Obamacare also made a difference for them, because as you know, anybody now 26 years of age and younger was now going to be part of their parents plan, and that was a big gift to young people. They turned out in large numbers, a larger share in this election even than in 2008. The presidents health care plan, he said, was also a useful tool in mobilizing black and Hispanic voters. Though Mr. Romney won the white vote with 59 percent, according to exit polls, minorities coalesced around the president in overwhelming numbers: 93 percent of blacks and 71 percent of Hispanics. You can imagine for somebody making $25,000 or $30,000 or $35,000 a year, being told youre now going to get free health care, particularly if you dont have it, getting free health care worth, what, $10,000 per family, in perpetuity I mean, this is huge, Mr. Romney said. Likewise with Hispanic voters, free health care was a big plus. But in addition with regards to Hispanic voters, the amnesty for children of illegals, the so-called Dream Act kids, was a huge plus for that voting group. Nationwide, Mr. Obama won a slightly smaller share of 18- to 29-year-old voters than he did in 2008, according to exit polls, though he increased his share in battleground states like Florida, Ohio and Virginia. Exit polls showed little appreciable difference between Mr. Obamas performance among black voters nationwide and in many swing states in this election and in 2008. Among Hispanic voters nationwide, Mr. Obama won a greater share in 2012 than in 2008, but perhaps more important, he succeeded in increasing the share of Hispanic voters among the total voting population in key states, including Colorado and Nevada, exit polls showed. During the call, Mr. Romney was by turns disappointed and pragmatic, expressing his frustration at the outcome on Election Day. A person who was on the call, which included hundreds of participants, let The New York Times listen in. Im very sorry that we didnt win, Mr. Romney said on the call. I know that you expected to win, we expected to win, we were disappointed with the result, we hadnt anticipated it, and it was very close, but close doesnt count in this business. He continued: And so now were looking and saying, O.K., what can we do going forward? But frankly, were still so troubled by the past, its hard to put together our plans for the future. He added that he was hoping to find a way for the close-knit group, which excelled in fund-raising but was ultimately unable to propel him into the Oval Office, to stay connected so that we can stay informed and have influence on the direction of the party, and perhaps the selection of a future nominee, which, by the way, will not be me. (He suggested an annual meeting, as well as a monthly newsletter.) In a news conference of his own Wednesday, Mr. Obama, asked if he still planned to meet with Mr. Romney for a postelection discussion, spoke positively of his former opponent, saying that he did a terrific job of running the Olympics, and that he appreciated Mr. Romneys ideas on government efficiency. Im not either prejudging what hes interested in doing, nor am I suggesting Ive got some specific assignment, the president said, when asked about Mr. Romney. But what I want to do is to get ideas from him and see if there are some ways that we can potentially work together.

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

It's time for him to move on with his life and enjoy his 18 grandkids.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts
Your thread title is misleading. And he isn't entirely wrong, if you read the article that is.
Barbariser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 Barbariser
Member since 2009 • 6785 Posts

Heh, I love it when Republicans claim to be the party of freedom and democracy and try to justify a political defeat by blaming people who didn't vote for them.

TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheWalkingGhost

Heh, I love it when Republicans claim to be the party of freedom and democracy and try to justify a political defeat by blaming people who didn't vote for them.

Barbariser
Didn't read the article did you?
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
Guess people don't read articles these days
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#7 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Your thread title is misleading. And he isn't entirely wrong, if you read the article that is.TheWalkingGhost

It is pretty obvious that Romney is latching onto something to rationalize his defeat. His badly run campaign and his overall weakness as a candidate was much more of a factor than these so-called "gifts".

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Guess people don't read articles these daysdave123321
I did... -_-
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheWalkingGhost

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]Your thread title is misleading. And he isn't entirely wrong, if you read the article that is.GreySeal9

It is pretty obvious that Romney is latching onto something to rationalize his defeat. His badly run campaign and his overall weakness as a candidate was much more of a factor than these so-called "gifts".

Still not wrong in that those things helped a lot.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="TheWalkingGhost"]Your thread title is misleading. And he isn't entirely wrong, if you read the article that is.TheWalkingGhost

Still not wrong in that those things helped a lot.

Well, of course people are going to vote for a candidate if they think that candidates policies will benefit them, but how is that anything new? There's nothng wrong with voting for one's self-interest.

One of the reasons Romney lost is because of his condescending comments about the 47% percent and now its seems that he's doubling down on them. Even Bobby Jindal called Romney out on these comments.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreySeal9

As far as Hispanics are concerned, Romney should consider that his own stupid comments about immigration turned them away from him. Hispanics are not exactly super excited about President Obama, but they sure as hell weren't going to vote for a guy who made comments about "self-deportation."

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts
Said it before and I'll say it again... His 47% comment killed the election for him...
Avatar image for VanHelsingBoA64
VanHelsingBoA64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 VanHelsingBoA64
Member since 2007 • 5455 Posts
Wow, thanks mittens. I never would have thought for a second that people would vote for the candidate that would best help them. [spoiler] but srsly why's mittens still anally anguished when the election was more than a week ago [/spoiler]
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 GreySeal9

Said it before and I'll say it again... His 47% comment killed the election for him...jeremiah06

It was devastating to his campaign, but it seems to me that he didn't learn much from the backlash to those comments.

jeremiah06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 jeremiah06
Member since 2004 • 7217 Posts

[QUOTE="jeremiah06"]Said it before and I'll say it again... His 47% comment killed the election for him...GreySeal9

It was devastating to his campaign, but it seems to me that he didn't learn much from the backlash to those comments.

Thats why it was so damaging... he meant every word of it, he still believes it, and he'll always believe it... everyone not rich is lazy...
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
but srsly why's mittens still anally anguished when the election was more than a week ago VanHelsingBoA64
Because he needs to explain to the millionaires and billionaires that supported him why he isn't the one they should be upset with over all that money they donated to his failed-campaign.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheWalkingGhost

As far as Hispanics are concerned, Romney should consider that his own stupid comments about immigration turned them away from him. Hispanics are not exactly super excited about President Obama, but they sure as hell weren't going to vote for a guy who made comments about "self-deportation."

GreySeal9
Despite popular belief, Hispanics don't vote solely on that issue. Their concerns are no different from yours or mine.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

TheWalkingGhost
Despite popular belief, Hispanics don't vote solely on that issue. Their concerns are no different from yours or mine.

You're right, which is why republicans have deeper problems with hispanics than just their position on immigration.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

TheWalkingGhost

I'm not saying they vote solely on that issue. After all, I'm not Romney, so I don't boil people's votes down to a single thing (in his case, "gifts"). What I'm saying is that a Hispanic voter is going to be turned off by the idea of making life so bad for illegal immigrants that they self-deport. It sounds cruel, and for Hispanics, the issues hits closer to home than other groups. That's not at all to say that that is the only issues Hispanics are considering, but that kind of talk was bound to turn off Hispanic voters who would have given Romney a much closer look based on his other policies.

ad1x2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20 ad1x2
Member since 2005 • 8430 Posts
He does have a point to an extent. I grew up in less fortunate areas and kept in contact with some of the people there. To some of them the biggest reason they didn't want Romney is because they were scared he would reduce welfare benefits. But that is only a small minority of the reason and in no way should be looked at as the main reason. Other reasons that would make more sense is that the country simply may not be ready for what Romney was selling or people were simply more comfortable under Obama.
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheWalkingGhost
I'm not saying they vote solely on that issue. After all, I'm not Romney, so I don't boil people's votes down to a single thing (in his case, "gifts"). What I'm saying is that a Hispanic voter is going to be turned off by the idea of making life so bad for illegal immigrants that they self-deport. It sounds cruel, and for Hispanics, the issues hits closer to home than other groups. That's not at all to say that that is the only issues Hispanics are considering, but that kind of talk was bound to turn off Hispanic voters who would have given Romney a much closer look based on his other policies.GreySeal9
I said that because immigration is all you brought up. [QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] You're right, which is why republicans have deeper problems with hispanics than just their position on immigration.

It is mostly their other policies, some Hispanics may not even care about Immigration they are all over on the subject. The Republicans need to fix other problems as immigration is not their biggest problem right now. Their attacks on safety nets most likely causes them way more problems.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#23 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
As soon as Romney saw that they were losing the election, the campaign suspended all spending and cancelled all credit cards, leaving many volunteers and aids stuck with Hotel and cab fares that the campaign was supposed to pay. What happened to all the leftover campaign money?
leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#24 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

Well technically Romney's right, even though the article stated that 51% of whites did vote for Obama. However, Romney was a weak candidate with no major difference to that of Obama or even the Bush Administration. But even the Bush Administration pushed hard to get the Latino vote.

I can never understand why Romney was elected to the presidency in the first place. He wasn't even that good of a governor. :?

Lord_Terrapin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lord_Terrapin
Member since 2012 • 45 Posts
Romney needs to get over it and realize that the better man won.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Well technically Romney's right, even though the article stated that 51% of whites did vote for Obama. However, Romney was a weak candidate with no major difference to that of Obama or even the Bush Administration. But even the Bush Administration pushed hard to get the Latino vote.

I can never understand why Romney was elected to the presidency in the first place. He wasn't even that good of a governor. :?

leviathan91
I actually think he did a decent job as a governor, but the fact that he campaigned like he was a completely different person is what got to me.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#27 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

His comments have a grain of truth in them, despite the tone of blame. The Deomcratic party does far more to appeal to the list of different demographics he gave. I wouldn't call them gifts, however.

It just further cements the argument that the GOP refuses to appeal to all Americans, choosing to focus on white affluent voters, mostly males.

GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GIJames248
Member since 2006 • 2176 Posts

I thought everyone knew this. Of course people vote democrat because the democrats will buy them stuff from the national treasury. It's common sense.

You just find a demographic that wants something they cannot afford and buy their votes with another, smaller demographics tax money. It's insanely unjust and wrong, but it definitely works.

mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
Well when your on food stamps or some sort of welfare, you are going to vote democrat 95/100 times because they are the ones giving you free stuff
Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts
Well when your on food stamps or some sort of welfare, you are going to vote democrat 95/100 times because they are the ones giving you free stuffmingmao3046
.... Oh I see so when Bush, Bush Sr, Reagan, Nixon were in office we didn't have welfare and food stamps right? Nothing was promised, its the Republicans in this campaign were the only ones who "promised" anything.. And that promise was to dismantle the system while increasing tax breaks to the very rich.. Who the fvck, besides the very rich, would support that?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-59d151f079814

I thought everyone knew this. Of course people vote democrat because the democrats will buy them stuff from the national treasury. It's common sense.

GIJames248
Yet the only "gifts" I have received was the stimulus checks given to me by the Bush administration.. Ironic really.
Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36040 Posts

Personally though I blame God for Obama's win. People prayed to God that he would pick the best man to lead, and I assume that's what he did. At least I assume that's what people prayed for because praying to God that your guy will win is essentially assuming you know better than God who is best to lead.

Jazz_Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jazz_Fan
Member since 2008 • 29516 Posts
So basically he is blaming the demographics he alienated for his campaign failure Clever
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
but the democrats are known to do stuff like this their idea of fiscal spending is using it to improve the status quo and help those that need a boost through government spending. while the republican ideals are more conservative with money while trying to reduce taxes for everyone? i mean is Romney just butt hurt that his party isnt the democratic party in the very sense of its beliefs. wait what?!
mingmao3046

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mingmao3046
Member since 2011 • 2683 Posts
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]Well when your on food stamps or some sort of welfare, you are going to vote democrat 95/100 times because they are the ones giving you free stuffsSubZerOo
.... Oh I see so when Bush, Bush Sr, Reagan, Nixon were in office we didn't have welfare and food stamps right? Nothing was promised, its the Republicans in this campaign were the only ones who "promised" anything.. And that promise was to dismantle the system while increasing tax breaks to the very rich.. Who the fvck, besides the very rich, would support that?

democrats will always be more pro welfare than republicans
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GIJames248

[QUOTE="GIJames248"]

sSubZerOo

Yet the only "gifts" I have received was the stimulus checks given to me by the Bush administration.. Ironic really.

Not really, the Republicans definitely buy votes too, but they have been aggressive about it historically than the Democrats.

I love the assumption that everyone is mindlessly stuck in the two party world, and that if I point out the corruption in the Democrat party then I must for some reason think the Republicans are hunky-dory. I think this is the sort of corrupted democratic system you will always see as long as the tax code is a broken as it is and social programs and welfare permit elected officials to pay off/puchase voting demographics, and neither major party seems to want to change that too much.

The principle is very simple, you just find a demographic that wants something they cannot afford and then buy their votes with another, smaller demographics tax money. It's insanely unjust and wrong, but it definitely works. Its the American way!

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#37 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
I remember when Romney belatedly decided his comments about the 47% of the country who were moochers and just looking for a handout were "completely wrong". But then again, that was when he was running for office for Pete's sake! He couldn't say what he truly felt at that point amirite?
bnarmz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bnarmz
Member since 2012 • 1372 Posts
Romney acts like he cares about this countries future, But I wonder if Obama offered him a job (like he did with H.Clinton) would he take it. If not, then I don't know how serious Mitt is because he will have the opportunity to prove himself.
lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44560 Posts
I don't know what everybody's so sad about I mean I'm enjoying my Obama gifts, I took my took my gift 30 foot yatch out to sea today to go shark fishing, use my Obama foot stamps to take a lady out to a nice steak and lobster dinner, which earned me sex which I didn't use a condom 4 because condoms cost money but tax payer abortions are fine by me. And to top it all off, just like when you donate money to needy children they send you a picture of those you're helping, I get photos with all my gifts of butthurt taxpayers to really savor the moment.
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
What is a Romney?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 -Sun_Tzu-

leviathan91
Eh, he was a decent governor.
Avatar image for Stevo_the_gamer
Stevo_the_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#42 Stevo_the_gamer  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 49568 Posts
Can't just rely on white men to get you elected, Romney.
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GIJames248

I don't know what everybody's so sad about I mean I'm enjoying my Obama gifts, I took my took my gift 30 foot yatch out to sea today to go shark fishing, use my Obama foot stamps to take a lady out to a nice steak and lobster dinner, which earned me sex which I didn't use a condom 4 because condoms cost money but tax payer abortions are fine by me. And to top it all off, just like when you donate money to needy children they send you a picture of those you're helping, I get photos with all my gifts of butthurt taxpayers to really savor the moment.lamprey263

This post is all win.

nocoolnamejim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#44 nocoolnamejim
Member since 2003 • 15136 Posts
What is a Romney?Sajo7
A gigantic, entitled, self-absorbed dick.
C2N2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 C2N2
Member since 2012 • 759 Posts

A CANDIDATE OFFERED INCENTIVE TO HIS CONSTITUENCY SO THEY WOULD VOTE FOR HIM!?!?!??!??!11!?1?one!?1

And all this time I thought people voted for the candidate who had the coolest name.

waterproof9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46 waterproof9
Member since 2012 • 407 Posts

I wish the Republicans would be more inclusive and just stop with the awful comments directed towards anyone who isn't a straight white man.

They have to know that the country is changing fast. Present the Republican plaform and win or lose according to that. Some real changes will have to be made or they will be left behind.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Why is his opinion still relevant?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-59d151f079814
Why is his opinion still relevant? chrisrooR
Especially from a man who contradicted his opinions and platforms on the fly during the race..
Sajo7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Sajo7
Member since 2005 • 14049 Posts
Why is his opinion still relevant? chrisrooR
Who knows, TV news still asks Newt Gingrich's opinion on things as well, which never made much sense to me even when he was in the campaign.
GIJames248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 GIJames248

[QUOTE="chrisrooR"]Why is his opinion still relevant? sSubZerOo
Especially from a man who contradicted his opinions and platforms on the fly during the race..

Because, despite not being a particularly great politician this is something that factually has happened. Politicians campaign on the idea of handouts all the time, but nobody is willing actually acknowledge it is about political expediency and powergrabs instead of long term liberties and economic viability. I didn't support Romney, but frankly if he had been pointing out on the campaign trail how insanely corrupt such practices are I might have considered him.

I think the more interesting question though, is how in the world do we rectify this? No one will be able to successfully campaign against a candidate buying the vote with promise of government money to his supporters because there are not enough selfless or longterm thinkers out there to win the election, at least not enough to elect a candidate who isn't offering people free college, healthcare, and food in exhange for their support.

"When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." ~ Benjamin Frankling

Edit: And just in case anyone thinks I am a Republican (and tries to discredit all of this from that claim), I am not. While the Democrats have undeniably exploited this worse that the Republicans, the Republicans play ball and still try to buy votes too, just with more limited and less persuasive rewards and therefore less success.