Roll Call: The New Forums are here edtion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by nintendoboy16 (28116 posts) -

Woken up with this new site functioning and... it's giving me a headache.

#102 Edited by -Renegade (8340 posts) -

dont like how post are now on the left side of the page. it was more centered before. dont like the new look at all but i do like all the new features. everytime they change these forums its always worse then what they did before. i cant wait til the next change it cant possibly get worse then this.

#103 Posted by Shadow4020 (2017 posts) -

Awesome that we can post without going to a different page, but there are no emoticons or spell check >:(

#104 Edited by ferrari2001 (17325 posts) -

Hello! This is gonna take some getting used to. I hope the bugs get ironed out seen so I can really test out the new functions. :)

#105 Posted by Sn0wGl0be (24 posts) -

All I want to know is will we get our forum posts back??

#106 Edited by dagreenfish (1817 posts) -

Still trying to figure out why the right third of my screen is wasted on useless garbage.

#107 Posted by Jerell_rast (7093 posts) -

Hi there! It took a whole site redesign for me to start posting in OT, lol j/k :P.

#108 Edited by judog1 (24646 posts) -

@ferrari2001 said:

Hello! This is gonna take some getting used to. I hope the bugs get ironed out seen so I can really test out the new functions. :)

I made a new blog post to try and test the different functions for posts and I must say that it works fairly well. I had some trouble viewing the embedded video and tweet after the blog had been posted, but I'm sure it is just GameSpot trying to get every feature of the new design working properly.

#109 Posted by leon2365 (13087 posts) -

why do I always get a notification about some site asking me if I want to open or save a file?

#110 Edited by soulless4now (41381 posts) -

It looks so robotic now. :(

#111 Posted by riou7 (10838 posts) -

Hello everyone :)

#112 Edited by thriteenthmonke (49824 posts) -

Nothing wrong with robotic.

#113 Posted by soulless4now (41381 posts) -

I disagree. It lacks the warmth and fuzzy navel peaches.

#114 Edited by realguitarhero5 (3903 posts) -

:( I want this back.

#115 Posted by judog1 (24646 posts) -

@realguitarhero5 said:

You can view your post history by going to your profile and clicking on the forums tab. It shows the full post instead of just a snippet, which can be good or bad depending on how big of a conversation you are in.

#116 Posted by harry_james_pot (11192 posts) -

@judog1 said:

@realguitarhero5 said:

You can view your post history by going to your profile and clicking on the forums tab. It shows the full post instead of just a snippet, which can be good or bad depending on how big of a conversation you are in.

But I check my post history to see if there's been new posts in those threads, not to read my posts. They're going about it completely wrong. :(

#117 Posted by judog1 (24646 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@judog1 said:

@realguitarhero5 said:

But I check my post history to see if there's been new posts in those threads, not to read my posts. They're going about it completely wrong. :(

Oh, didn't realize that he was hinting at messages unread...yeah...that would be nice...

#118 Posted by Shadow4020 (2017 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@judog1 said:

@realguitarhero5 said:

Same. I hope they bring it back.

#119 Posted by leon2365 (13087 posts) -

would be nice if there was at least a setting to be able to use the old site layout.

#120 Posted by harry_james_pot (11192 posts) -

@judog1 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@judog1 said:

@realguitarhero5 said:

Oh, didn't realize that he was hinting at messages unread...yeah...that would be nice...

The old design focused on showing you where you have posted before, and whether or not there are new posts there. The new one is like hey, remember those posts you just made? read them over and over again!

#121 Posted by judog1 (24646 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

@judog1 said:

@harry_james_pot said:

@judog1 said:

@realguitarhero5 said:

The old design focused on showing you where you have posted before, and whether or not there are new posts there. The new one is like hey, remember those posts you just made? read them over and over again!

Now they are just easier for the public to view. What if they find incriminating information in those posts? :P

#122 Posted by harry_james_pot (11192 posts) -

There are a few, very important features that needs to be added, and I think everyone one the forum will agree.

• Better post history.
  • First unread post button on forum threads like we had before.
  • A way to display friends blogs, or at least to filter the friends feed to only show blogs. Otherwise they'll disappear among all the other crap that's in there.

However we should wait a bit before we bring this up in the feedback forums, because now it's just filled with "the redesign sucks" threads.

#123 Posted by judog1 (24646 posts) -

@harry_james_pot said:

There are a few, very important features that needs to be added, and I think everyone one the forum will agree.

• Better post history.
  • First unread post button on forum threads like we had before.
  • A way to display friends blogs, or at least to filter the friends feed to only show blogs. Otherwise they'll disappear among all the other crap that's in there.

However we should wait a bit before we bring this up in the feedback forums, because now it's just filled with "the redesign sucks" threads.

Yeah, pretty sure my blog post about the redesign is going to get lost among the feed of forum posts. I wonder how many blogs I have missed...also the game collection feature needs work.

#124 Edited by harry_james_pot (11192 posts) -

Soon everyone will have avatars and sigs, and I won't be special anymore.. :(

Anyways, I have to sleep now. Goodnight/afternoon/morning.

#125 Posted by leon2365 (13087 posts) -

still getting a notification about some site wanting me to open or save a file.

#126 Posted by Iszdope (11405 posts) -

This is only a test.

#127 Posted by Allicrombie (25560 posts) -

would be nice if my blog had comments. I blame 2ndwonder,

#128 Posted by johnd13 (8400 posts) -

I feel weird.

#129 Edited by kitty (115020 posts) -

@Allicrombie said:

would be nice if my blog had comments. I blame 2ndwonder,

X.X

#130 Posted by OmitName (741 posts) -

@Allicrombie: 2ndwonder you say? yeah ok, that sounds good *shrugs, and goes off to find a burning torch and pitchfork.

#131 Edited by ShepardCommandr (3276 posts) -

This is probably the worst site re design i've ever seen.It's even worse than gametrailers.

#132 Edited by AtariKidX (6362 posts) -

The new gamespot is horrible,it is ugly....it sucks.Why....why they have kill the gamespot...??The old style it was better and more easy to use.I will leave the gamespot......i don't like this place anymore.Goodbye.

#133 Posted by chaplainDMK (6920 posts) -

@ShepardCommandr: What exactly is so much worse? :)

#134 Edited by JustPlainLucas (74944 posts) -

I say this with every redesign, but it's awful. Particularly awful in this case.

Oh, and post counts, who honestly cares about them anymore, especially since there doesn't seem to be levels attached to them.

#135 Edited by stylyy (142 posts) -

Hey all, I know it was a rough start but we're working our asses off to get everything running smoothly.

Due to an influx of traffic, certain features were borking out. Please bear with us during this transition. We will do our best to keep you all updated throughout the process.

#136 Edited by Hiddai (6087 posts) -

Is it just me or the new site is too white for me. I can't change my avatar but i guess it's a common problem for everyone and it'll be fixed soon

#137 Posted by judog1 (24646 posts) -

@Hiddai said:

Is it just me or the new site is too white for me. I can't change my avatar but i guess it's a common problem for everyone and it'll be fixed soon

I'm using the dark theme. It's dark enough for me.

#138 Edited by junglist101 (5462 posts) -

If this filled the whole screen it would be better.

Edit: so the area where you post disappears after a single post and there is no way to navigate back to the main part of the forum from the bottom of the page. That's not tedious at all...

Edit 2: and it doesn't tell you when someone edits a post which could get annoying fast when people can do the switcho-chango on what they've said while you're busy typing away telling them how dumb their post was.

#139 Posted by Iszdope (11405 posts) -

Seeing LJ there on the side as top poster is starting to irk me.

Argh.

#140 Edited by LuzerGS (31 posts) -

@stylyy said:

Hey all, I know it was a rough start but we're working our asses off to get everything running smoothly.

Due to an influx of traffic, certain features were borking out. Please bear with us during this transition. We will do our best to keep you all updated throughout the process.

Work hard but don't work too hard; you folks deserve to take it easy and sling back a few drinks.

I just skimmed through the earlier posts and it seems a lot of people have 'difficulties' when it comes to change, but I'm liking the new re-design a whole lot! Not that my opinion matters or anything but:

I APPROVE!

Kudos to the GS team.

Fahq the haters.

Peace it.

#141 Posted by OmitName (741 posts) -

@junglist101: it does tell you when someone edited. there at the title/subject of each post. it will either say 'posted by' or 'edited by' im very happy they took out the italicized edited by ... 18 times. made people feel bad for fixing mistakes.

#142 Edited by Necrotron (69 posts) -

Hello everyone. Hope to be around a bit.

#143 Edited by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

I like cookies. Do you?

#144 Posted by The_Last_Ride (74500 posts) -

so are you guys satisfied with the new gamespot?

#145 Posted by Sporks_Calamity (6 posts) -

The site isn't too bad - has potential. Granted that there are still some niggling issues, but that will be sorted out in due time I'd think. It will require most to get used to the drastic changes.

#146 Posted by Sporks_Calamity (6 posts) -

@soulless4now:

We're all gamer robots in some guise :P.

#147 Edited by Hiddai (6087 posts) -

@judog1 said:

@Hiddai said:

I'm using the dark theme. It's dark enough for me.

Yeah now it's better. New site is so weird lol

#148 Posted by Ring_of_fire (15681 posts) -

Morning everyone.

A second thing I want is showing how many new posts are in a thread since you last post.

#149 Posted by Hiddai (6087 posts) -

afternoon everybody :)

#150 Edited by MikeLirette (4685 posts) -

There are bugs. It's a bit slow, but I'm here. And I can't wait for new levels to come out.