Roll Call: The New Forums are here edtion

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1051 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13: It's weird you can't choose what role to be in. If you are talented enough there are very interesting places you can be put in. I say, when you join, try to ask people how can you apply to computer units. 90% of the time in the military is boring as hell. If you send forces to Iraq though then i guess it's different because i think Iraq is very Battlefield\CoD-like lol

#1052 Edited by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: I could do that though I don't have high hopes. My country is not famous for its organised and efficient handling of matters.

We don't send people in Iraq. At least not the common people serving their mandatory service. To be honest I don't think I'm made for war and battlefields. I'm a diplomat. :P

#1053 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

I'm sure there are people who go to computers units. The question you should be asking yourself is 'how'

#1054 Edited by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: As far as I know there is no official process(I'll have to check that out for sure some time) but yeah my best chance is to ask the people in charge. After all I'll have my CS degree by the time I serve.

Another thing I won't like is the accommodation. I'm a quiet kind of guy who needs his own space but I guess I'll have to get over such feelings. That's one of the reasons they say "the military makes you a man" lol.

#1055 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

It's no difference, i guess, than if you live in the university's dorms or whatever. You maybe live next to other few people and will be stuck to them 24\7 but you find great people that will eventually become some of your new best friends. The fact your service is a mandatory one will make it even better because you will get to know a lot of people who are exactly like you. If anything is difficult for you, it'll be the same for your friends therefore you, as a group, will overcome these problems.

#1056 Edited by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: I've actually heard that from others too. It's true that hardships bring people together and create strong bonds between them. I guess I'll just have to wait and see and if possible see this experience as some kind of adventure. After all I won't be serving for at least the next 3-4 years and I will probably change as a person until then. It's always harder to withstand the military at a younger age than at 25 or sth.

#1057 Posted by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

We join at 18 and it's ok but that's probably a different mentality. Some people join 1 day after they finish school and that's creating a shock to some people because they don't have time for anything. I joined 8 months after school so while my friends were already in service i was having a free time for myself and was really anxious to join already.

#1058 Posted by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: Isn't it possible to postpone it? We're supposed to go at 18 as well but most young people enter college so they have the right to finish their studies first. And if the undergraduate degree is followed by postgraduate, master, bachelor etc we're talking about a 6-7 year permit.

#1059 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

You can postpone it in few months (up to a year). However you can do academic degree (that the military pays!!!) and then you do your 3-4 years degree and after that you join the military in the role of whatever your degree is about (Eg: do CS degree and then return to the military and serve on computers unit for 4 years or so). But it's great because later when you finish the service you can say you have both CS degree and an actual experience at working with computers so hi-tech companies will do anything you will work for them. It's better than a degree without experience.

#1060 Posted by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: That's pretty useful. Btw do universities require money there like in America? Here all the good ones are public which means you don't have to pay anything.

#1061 Posted by HeroClixFan88 (32 posts) -

the new Forums suck so bad. i hate the changes made. this site is a joke now.

#1062 Edited by TAMKFan (32751 posts) -

I'm just waiting to see what happens. The forums have already improved since the beta and I'm sure it'll improve more.

#1063 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

Sure is a slow day...............Kinda makes me regret logging on..........................

In plot related news, Kingdom Hearts is as fun as it was ten years ago............................

#1064 Edited by Nikb2275 (13 posts) -

Its like shifting to a new home and missing the older.

#1065 Posted by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13 said:

@Hiddai: That's pretty useful. Btw do universities require money there like in America? Here all the good ones are public which means you don't have to pay anything.

We have the public universities but they cost money of course (about ~ 3200$ a year). There are also colleges which they cost more because they are private lol. If you do this "deal" with the military though, you go to the university and they pay everything.

#1066 Posted by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai said:

We have the public universities but they cost money of course (about ~ 3200$ a year). There are also colleges which they cost more because they are private lol. If you do this "deal" with the military though, you go to the university and they pay everything.

Well it sounds like a very good system you have there. I didn't know Israel was so progressive - you're way ahead of Greece in that matter.

#1067 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

The military is one of the main things here so we need to have a suitable advanced and organised system for that

#1068 Posted by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: Yeah that makes sense.

So got any plans for today? I've got no classes myself because of the occupation of my uni by a group of students protesting about all sorts of things that are bad in the country lol.

#1069 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

Yeah i know students always tend to be political protestors...why can't they just do homeworks and shut up...I mean if they want to change something then they should vote for different politicans...

#1070 Edited by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: My thoughts as well. They are not ordinary students though. Most political parties have sub-branches in the universities comprised of students. They have their own elections and hold meetings every once in a while to decide on their actions(like occupying the premises).

#1071 Edited by OmitName (721 posts) -

i have been using locked threads to keep my place in forums.

°~°

#1072 Edited by ninjastar (9507 posts) -

RC doesn't seem to be seeing much action these days. :/

#1073 Posted by BranKetra (48730 posts) -

@ninjastar said:

Why do you think that is?

#1074 Posted by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@johnd13:

lol these students should join the military then. After that they will think everything is good in the country lol

#1075 Posted by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai said:

@johnd13:

lol these students should join the military then. After that they will think everything is good in the country lol

That would be a good way to get rid of them. And I just found out that they're gonna keep the occupation until Friday lol.

#1076 Posted by -RocBoys9489- (6269 posts) -

How do I revert to the black background? Can't find it >:(

#1077 Posted by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

@-RocBoys9489-:

top right corner "A" sign you need to drag

#1078 Posted by leon2365 (13053 posts) -

still no word on "union boards" I assume.

#1079 Posted by ninjastar (9507 posts) -

@BranKetra said:

@ninjastar said:

People no longer posting here. :|

#1080 Posted by OmitName (721 posts) -

dear gamespot i would like the top 10 list of topics to be working again. please and thank you. i think that thing encouraged versatility of active conversations. i dont know why they took it down. seemed to be working ok.

#1081 Posted by DeadMan1290 (15502 posts) -

Finally I can post.

#1082 Edited by stev69 (113 posts) -

@HeroClixFan88 said:

the new Forums suck so bad. i hate the changes made. this site is a joke now.

QFE. Even the stuff that does actually work is a pain in the arse to find.

#1083 Posted by Zuzuvela (2148 posts) -

@ninjastar said:

@BranKetra said:

@ninjastar said:

Im busy....

#1084 Posted by BranKetra (48730 posts) -

@ninjastar said:

@BranKetra said:

@ninjastar said:

That is kind of a non-answer.

#1085 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

Not a post in an hour...............................Hot-damn......................

#1086 Posted by OmitName (721 posts) -

the stacks are working a bit better. the changes i made actually stuck. i was able to delete everything, but i wasn't able to empty it. the images in my profile still fall off the walls now and again though.

#1087 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

Can't say I've even noticed the new trinkets.................................................

#1088 Posted by BranKetra (48730 posts) -

@OmitName said:

the stacks are working a bit better. the changes i made actually stuck. i was able to delete everything, but i wasn't able to empty it. the images in my profile still fall off the walls now and again though.

I have some concerns about stacks. You cannot add a game to a stack based on its platform. I brought it up as a topic in the Bug and Feedback forum, but I have yet to receive any response in it.

#1089 Edited by double_decker (145822 posts) -

Hello there users of GameSpot, I hope all has been well, it's been a few days since I've checked in, been at the wife's parents for a long weekend having some family time. I hope everyone else had a good weekend and a good Monday as well. :)

#1090 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

All's well................................

Pretty slow here, though...................

#1091 Edited by double_decker (145822 posts) -

@Judas_ said:

All's well................................

Pretty slow here, though...................

Yeah, it's a Monday night so I wasn't exactly expecting things to be hopping in here, what're you up to?

#1092 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

Well............Now that wrestling's over.................I'm gonna play Kingdom Hearts for a while.........................

Howboutchu?

#1093 Posted by ninjastar (9507 posts) -

@Zuzuvela said:

@ninjastar said:

@BranKetra said:

@ninjastar said:

Im busy....

Boo.

#1094 Posted by TAMKFan (32751 posts) -

@ninjastar said:

This site as a whole has noticeably slowed down ever since the new site.

#1095 Posted by ninjastar (9507 posts) -

@TAMKFan Yeah I've noticed. :(

#1096 Posted by Judas_ (312 posts) -

Hmm................If only someone could inject 20cc of life into this desolate wasteland..............................

Oh well.....................................T'was fun while it lasted........................

#1097 Posted by TAMKFan (32751 posts) -

@ninjastar said:

@TAMKFan Yeah I've noticed. :(

I had the feeling this would happen with the new site and it looks like I was right. The amount of boards here is lacking too and there's still no word on unions yet. But as I've said, I'm still waiting to see what happens.

#1098 Edited by OmitName (721 posts) -

can anyone direct me to the fonts used to display the forums? text and all the special symbols for buttons like the arrows and such.

#1099 Edited by Hiddai (6086 posts) -

Today was the election day for the city mayor here :)

#1100 Posted by johnd13 (8208 posts) -

@Hiddai: I hope your candidate will prevail. :P