RIP Robin Williams - Battled Depression & Parkinson's

#1 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26628 posts) -

This fucking sucks...

While his publicist wouldn’t confirm that it was a suicide, they did issue this statement. “Robin Williams passed away this morning. He has been battling severe depression of late. This is a tragic and sudden loss. The family respectfully asks for their privacy as they grieve during this very difficult time.” - EW

RIP :(

*Update* Suicide seems to be all but confirmed at this point, but I hold off on changing the title until it is confirmed. I think it needs to be said however that if you have something to say in regards to suicide and depression, then please do it in the NUMEROUS other threads as of late about these issues. This thread is to honor and pay respects to Robin Williams and with this, as with life, if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

Suicide has been confirmed as the cause of death :(

Press Release by William's wife:

"Robin spent so much of his life helping others. Whether he was entertaining millions on stage, film or television, our troops on the frontlines, or comforting a sick child -- Robin wanted us to laugh and to feel less afraid.

Since his passing, all of us who loved Robin have found some solace in the tremendous outpouring of affection and admiration for him from the millions of people whose lives he touched. His greatest legacy, besides his three children, is the joy and happiness he offered to others, particularly to those fighting personal battles.

Robin's sobriety was intact and he was brave as he struggled with his own battles of depression, anxiety as well as early stages of Parkinson's Disease, which he was not yet ready to share publicly.

It is our hope in the wake of Robin’s tragic passing, that others will find the strength to seek the care and support they need to treat whatever battles they are facing so they may feel less afraid."

#2 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

As an older person, this hurts. I loved this guys movies.

#3 Posted by Master_Live (15300 posts) -

Well that sure sucks.

#4 Posted by RyviusARC (4723 posts) -

I loved his stand up comedy acts and his movies.......It's sad to lose such talent.

Feel bad about hearing how depressed he was since he was sometimes the cure of my own depression.

#5 Posted by Wanderer5 (25726 posts) -

Wow so sudden it seems. How awful.:(

#6 Posted by fueled-system (6323 posts) -

Such a shame, easily one of my favorite comedians/actors

#7 Edited by uninspiredcup (10124 posts) -

That's too bad. Liked him in his later phyco'y straight rolls. One Hour Photo, Insomnia e.t.c...

#8 Edited by iloveatlus (306 posts) -

Oh wow. He will be missed. I grew up watching his movies.

#9 Posted by yokofox33 (30138 posts) -

Shit. This one stings.

#10 Edited by SaintLeonidas (26628 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

That's too bad. Liked him in his later phyco'y straight rolls. One Hour Photo, Insomnia e.t.c...

So many know him only for his comedy and often sporadic humor, but he was a fantastic drama actor.

#11 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (14737 posts) -

What the fuck!

#12 Posted by Citoreh (1860 posts) -

Makes you think about what the guy was missing in his life that drove himself to take it. Mrs. Doubtfire was the best!

#13 Posted by johnd13 (8633 posts) -

This is unexpected and sad. RIP

#14 Posted by delete-EasyComeEasyGo (585 posts) -

What da Fuck?! I didn't see this coming, not by a long shot.

R.I.P Robin Williams.

#15 Posted by playmynutz (6222 posts) -

Oh crap, seriously didn't see this thread before my suicide thread.

RIP Robin Williams

Suicide is unreal, literally who can say how it feels. Pray for his family and the ones he left behind.

#16 Posted by LJS9502_basic (151905 posts) -

Is a shame. RIP.

#17 Edited by LostProphetFLCL (17655 posts) -

@Citoreh said:

Makes you think about what the guy was missing in his life that drove himself to take it. Mrs. Doubtfire was the best!

It can be a chemical thing too so who knows.

This sucks and is very unfortunate. May he R.I.P.

#18 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (8830 posts) -

Very sad. R.I.P

#19 Posted by Serraph105 (28354 posts) -

That 24 hour news cycle can be a real bitch. You will be missed Mr. Williams. Thanks for the large part of my childhood that was Aladdin and Hook.

#20 Edited by HoolaHoopMan (7858 posts) -

Loved the guy. Sad to see him go.

#21 Posted by Elpresador-911 (326 posts) -

RIP in peace

#22 Posted by Masculus (2877 posts) -

Oh, fuck no!

#23 Posted by jsmoke03 (13035 posts) -

whoa. oh man

#24 Posted by Nuck81 (5875 posts) -

It's a shame that a guy who brought happiness and joy to millions, couldn't find either in himself

#25 Edited by Gaming-Planet (14081 posts) -

I watched Jumanji VHS like a 100 times when I was a kid and it broke because of it. RIP, and my condolences.

#26 Posted by AcidTango (668 posts) -

Sad that he died. Watched his films since I was a kid.

#27 Posted by hummer700 (10235 posts) -

:(

#28 Posted by dave123321 (34267 posts) -

Stings

#29 Edited by KHAndAnime (14252 posts) -

So fucked up. Robin Williams is one of those actors and people that I really looked up to. Couldn't help but shed tears, he was an absolutely AWESOME guy and one of the best comedians. I'm absolutely floored. He's one of those people that you don't have to meet for him to have a profound effect on you.

#30 Posted by Emil_Fontz (315 posts) -

Damn. This just goes to show you that nothing external to a person can make them happy. Robin was famous, wealthy, and had a loving family (I'm assuming), yet he still committed suicide. We, as Human beings, have to find happiness within ourselves.

#31 Posted by gago-gago (9704 posts) -

RIP, one of the most unique person.

#32 Posted by GamerForca (7095 posts) -

Really sad. RIP to a Legend of Zelda fan so dedicated that he named his daughter after the princess.

#33 Posted by magicalclick (23274 posts) -

Why was he depressed? Is this a typical problem of entertainers?

#34 Posted by Dogswithguns (10843 posts) -

RIP.. he was just about to make a new movie Mrs Doubtfire 2. he was a big fan of videogames.

#35 Posted by Meinhard1 (6786 posts) -

He was certainly a gem -- a unique and well-loved actor.

#36 Edited by PikachuDude860 (1157 posts) -

I never saw any of the things he did. Honestly I've only heard of him on TV and stuff. People loved him, and they had the right to do so.

R.I.P Robin Williams. You will be missed. Thank you.

#37 Posted by Serraph105 (28354 posts) -

I don't know if this picture will show up, but this is sort of how I feel.

http://a.dilcdn.com/bl/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2013/12/Gift_Aladdin.jpg

#38 Posted by roulettethedog (11021 posts) -

Such a sad day R.I.P. Robin :(

#39 Edited by M8ingSeezun (2020 posts) -

Jesus! What a shame, RIP. One of the few comedians that can actually improv on point without breaking a sweat!

You'll be miss good man. Thanks for all the laughs.

#40 Posted by Stranger_36 (481 posts) -

RIP.

#41 Posted by DaJuicyMan (3529 posts) -

Damn, RIP homie.

#42 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28198 posts) -

What the fuck..

RIP

EDIT: This one is hitting me hard. God damn.

#43 Posted by Brutal_Elitegs (16270 posts) -

Shit, man :(

#44 Posted by spike6958 (4941 posts) -

This is really messing with my head. I watched Hook yesterday, and earlier today I watched Aladdin, now I find out Robin Williams is dead... I think this one will take some time to process...

#45 Edited by foxhound_fox (89875 posts) -

I'm legitimately upset. I thought he was one of the best comedic actors/voice actors of all time. And then there is his performance in One Hour Photo. My lord.

And his love for Evangelion.

#46 Posted by Aljosa23 (25643 posts) -

smh

RIP :( dude always did strike me as having a lot of problems; his stand-up comedy was always super dark and messed. Great actor too. :(

#47 Posted by MirkoS77 (8001 posts) -

Damn. DAMN. What news to wake up to. I would never have imagined. I knew he struggled with addiction, but didn't know he suffered from depression. What a painful and shocking loss this is.

Thanks for the laughs, RW. Rest easy.

#48 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38218 posts) -

This news actually hit hard. Normally celeb death news doesn't really get to me on an emotional level but man I loved Robin and his movies littered my childhood :( so sad

#49 Posted by linkdarkside (6255 posts) -

R.I.P

he was one of my favorite actors during my childhood.

#50 Posted by PurpleLabel (302 posts) -

So sad. He was one of the old style actors/comedians. Sad depression took him. RIP