RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

• 118 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

Wallstreet Journal is reporting this.

Fuck. Please don't be true..

#2 Edited by JML897 (33125 posts) -

what the fuck

RIP

#3 Edited by chessmaster1989 (29381 posts) -

Dear God let's hope this isn't true.

#4 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

Some major outlets are now reporting this. Fuck.

Award-winning actor Philip Seymour Hoffman was found dead Sunday afternoon in his New York City apartment, a law-enforcement official said.

The New York Police Department is investigating, and the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner to determine exact cause of death. The official said Mr. Hoffman, 46 years old, was found dead at his apartment at 35 Bethune St. in the West Village neighborhood of Manhattan.

Mr. Hoffman won the Academy Award for Best Actor for the 2005 film, "Capote."

#5 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

Yeah if WSJ is citing law enforcement officials then I think it's pretty safe to say this is real.

This came out of fucking nowhere

#6 Edited by dave123321 (34134 posts) -

My heart goes out for him, his friends, family, and fans

#7 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Damn. He was a brilliant actor with one hell of a screen presence. WTF?! C'mon, son. C'mon.

#8 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

RIP.

#9 Posted by solidruss (23750 posts) -

Multiple news outlets are reporting this now. :( Such a shame, RIP

#10 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

Yup, it's on CNN now.

#11 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

:(

#12 Posted by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

A huge loss. Quite possibly the best actor of this generation.

#13 Edited by Master_Live (14809 posts) -

Motherfucker. WTF. Perhaps my favorite actor, fucking drugs. Unbelievable.

#14 Posted by johnd13 (8219 posts) -

Damn he was a great actor. RIP.

#15 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

No clue who he is. Googled him and still no clue. Never seen any of his movies I guess.

#16 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26342 posts) -

...the...fuck.

#17 Posted by Flubbbs (3142 posts) -

i wonder if he completed the last 2 hunger games before he died

#18 Posted by Masculus (2868 posts) -

He's dead alright. Fuck.

#19 Edited by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

No clue who he is. Googled him and still no clue. Never seen any of his movies I guess.

He was a great actor. Was Brandt in The Big Lebowski. He stole the show in my opinion in Ides of March.

#20 Posted by tocool340 (20543 posts) -

WTF? That's was pretty much out of the blue. Wonder what was the cause of his death...

#21 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

Why is it always drug overdose that kills these actors? Damn.

#22 Posted by Boston_Boyy (3962 posts) -

That's too bad. He was one of those actors who truly made every movie he was in better.

#23 Edited by JML897 (33125 posts) -

@tocool340 said:

WTF? That's was pretty much out of the blue. Wonder what was the cause of his death...

It looks like drugs. He was found with a needle in his arm.

#24 Edited by TwistedShade (3165 posts) -

Damn, why do all these celebrities feel the need to do drugs? Especially when you hear about other celebrities dying to them.

#25 Posted by Master_Live (14809 posts) -

@JML897 said:

@tocool340 said:

It looks like drugs. He was found with a needle in his arm.

Yeah, he had a drug problem. Sigh....................................

#26 Posted by JML897 (33125 posts) -

@TwistedShade said:

Damn, why do all these celebrities feel the need to do drugs? Especially when you hear about other celebrities dying to them.

Well it's not like it's easy to drop a heroin addiction. He was apparently sober for a long time, relapsed for whatever reason, then went to rehab, etc. It sounded like he would've liked to quit.

#27 Edited by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I admittedly didn't really know his work, but still very sad to hear. RIP.

#28 Posted by foxhound_fox (88691 posts) -

I wasn't a huge fan of his work, but he was talented. A shame if true. Quite a surprise.

#29 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6807 posts) -

Definitely a shocker to start off my day.

#30 Edited by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

When a particular activity or phenomenon ceases to excite someone, they move on to something else. In regard to actors, the fame and wealth some of them garner eventually ceases to excite them; it becomes normal, which is why some of them move on to drugs.

#31 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26342 posts) -

@JML897 said:

@TwistedShade said:

Well it's not like it's easy to drop a heroin addiction. He was apparently sober for a long time, relapsed for whatever reason, then went to rehab, etc. It sounded like he would've liked to quit.

Unfortunately, money and fame don't seem to do anything to help those who have had life long battles with addiction or depression; and in most cases just exasperate those problems.

#33 Posted by BluRayHiDef (10839 posts) -

@hoodedjustice3 said:

RIP Seymour Philip Hoffman.

This is not a laughing matter.

#37 Posted by lamprey263 (24154 posts) -

I keep reading Academy Award winning actor blah blah blah, but my favorite films are those of his that barely got any recognition.

#38 Edited by JML897 (33125 posts) -

^^Could've at least picked pictures of actors who somewhat resemble PSH or maybe someone like Dustin Hoffman because of the name

0/10 worst new troll

#39 Posted by hoodedjustice3 (253 posts) -

@JML897 said:

^^Could've at least picked pictures of actors who somewhat resemble PSH or maybe someone like Dustin Hoffman because of the name

0/10 worst new troll

I think it went over your head.

#40 Posted by Seabas989 (10384 posts) -

WTF?

R.I.P.

#41 Edited by sammyjenkis898 (28121 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

I keep reading Academy Award winning actor blah blah blah, but my favorite films are those of his that barely got any recognition.

Not even sure I can pick a favorite performance. Gotta admit, he made Along Came Polly a lot better than it had any right to be.

#42 Posted by Storm_Marine (11127 posts) -

@hoodedjustice3 said:

@JML897 said:

0/10 worst new troll

I think it went over your head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm-6RR4sLXw

#43 Posted by tocool340 (20543 posts) -
@TwistedShade said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the social stigma of being a celebrity. They are human too and some of them need to find a way to take the edge off. Drugs, like alcohol, is one way to deal with the pressure of stepping into the spotlight...

Well...that's just my guess anyway...

#44 Posted by Storm_Marine (11127 posts) -

@tocool340 said:
@TwistedShade said:

I'm guessing it has something to do with the social stigma of being a celebrity. They are human too and some of them need to find a way to take the edge off. Drugs, like alcohol, is one way to deal with the pressure of stepping into the spotlight...

I think he had drug problems before his acting career took off.

#45 Posted by danjammer69 (4120 posts) -

@sammyjenkis898 said:

Wallstreet Journal is reporting this.

Fuck. Please don't be true..

God dammit.

Another amazing talent destroyed by addiction.

PSH was a freakin' godly actor. Love him or hate him, you can not deny the man's acting chops.

Good job heroin....you really fucked up this time.

#46 Posted by ferrari2001 (16969 posts) -

Sad day for the world of film. He was a fantastic actor. I wonder who will replace him in Mockingjay Part 2.

#47 Posted by Master_Live (14809 posts) -

@tocool340 said:
@TwistedShade said:

What social stigma?

#48 Edited by Slashless (10097 posts) -

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

BULLSHIT

;_______________;

#50 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@hoodedjustice3 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

He was a great actor. Was Brandt in The Big Lebowski. He stole the show in my opinion in Ides of March.

Never seen either movie.