Reviews for the new Evil Dead are in - 100% on Rottentomatoes so far!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

Not theatrically of course, but at the SXSW Festival. Reviews will soon follow. So are you excited? Me excited. Me so excited, baby. Me sooooo excited.

*update*

Some reviews are in from the folks who attended the premier, and things are lookin up. 

#2 Posted by aaronmullan (33411 posts) -
I'm pretty excited. Been waiting to see if this is any good for years.
#3 Posted by Rhazakna (11022 posts) -
I can't stand Diablo Cody, but this looks like it might be ok. I'm glad they're trying to emulate the darker tone of the original film, instead of trying to replicate the humor of the sequels. I doubt they could pull off the campiness of Evil Dead 2.
#4 Posted by Aljosa23 (25823 posts) -

I'm glad they're trying to emulate the darker tone of the original film, instead of trying to replicate the humor of the sequels.Rhazakna
Agreed with this. Seems like way too many people assume the first is also supposed to be comical even though Raimi and Campbell tried to make it as scary as possible.

#5 Posted by aaronmullan (33411 posts) -

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]I'm glad they're trying to emulate the darker tone of the original film, instead of trying to replicate the humor of the sequels.Aljosa23

Agreed with this. Seems like way too many people assume the first is also supposed to be comical even though Raimi and Campbell tried to make it as scary as possible.

Which is pretty annoying. A lot of people dismiss the original too because they think 2 is a full remake. Pretty silly.
#6 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14594 posts) -

Apparently, the first time the submitted the movie for a rating, it got hit with an NC-17 rating.  They trimmed it to get the R rating, but I'm curious to see what was cut.  No doube there's gonna be an unrated version for the home release.

#7 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

I can't stand Diablo Cody, but this looks like it might be ok. I'm glad they're trying to emulate the darker tone of the original film, instead of trying to replicate the humor of the sequels. I doubt they could pull off the campiness of Evil Dead 2.Rhazakna
Same here and is why I also think the original is still the best one in the series.

#8 Posted by SaintLeonidas (26733 posts) -
Not interested, but if I did see it I'd wait for the uncut release.
#9 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24185 posts) -

i was always bummed we didn't get to see the army of darkness sequel where ash messed up the spell and ended up in the future deadite apocalypse.

th?id=H.4657021082141864&pid=15.1

th?id=H.4506031543877966&pid=15.1

all we got was the  s-mart happy ending.

#10 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14594 posts) -

i was always bummed we didn't get to see the army of darkness sequel where ash messed up the spell and ended up in the future deadite apcolypse.

all we got was the lame s-mart happy ending.

Riverwolf007

They have the director's cut on DVD.  I was glad I got mine when I did--it's been out of print for years now.

#11 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24185 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

i was always bummed we didn't get to see the army of darkness sequel where ash messed up the spell and ended up in the future deadite apcolypse.

Hallenbeck77

They have the director's cut on DVD.  I was glad I got mine when I did--it's been out of print for years now.

my copy has the alternative endings i just always wanted the whole movie to be made.

i thought the concept of the entire world being overrun with deadites and ash trying to survive and get home was perfect for the sequel.

i really thought they were going to give the next one the whole sci-fi  apocalypse  makeover and wanted to see that movie get made so bad.

#12 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14594 posts) -

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

Riverwolf007

my copy has the alternative endings i just always wanted the whole movie to be made.

i thought the concept of the entire world being overrun with deadites and ash trying to survive and get home was perfect for the sequel.

i really thought they were going to give the next one the whole sci-fi  apocalypse  makeover and wanted to see that movie get made so bad.

The directors cut is actually a 2 disc set--the first is the original version, the second is the international version of the movie--with the extra scenes and original ending intact.  Universal didn't want to have the "downer ending" for the Amercian version, hence the reason they changed it.  In a way it works because the comic series actually continues the story from there--if youre into the comics and whatnot.

#13 Posted by Riverwolf007 (24185 posts) -

[QUOTE="Riverwolf007"]

[QUOTE="Hallenbeck77"]

Hallenbeck77

The directors cut is actually a 2 disc set--the first is the original version, the second is the international version of the movie--with the extra scenes and original ending intact.  Universal didn't want to have the "downer ending" for the Amercian version, hence the reason they changed it.  In a way it works because the comic series actually continues the story from there--if youre into the comics and whatnot.

that's cool, i never knew that . i will have to look and see if it was collected into a trade paperback.

#14 Posted by Spartan_N7 (581 posts) -
I cant wait to see this!
#15 Posted by Kandlegoat (3147 posts) -

The trailer was cool. Hopefully, the whole movie ends up being good and not schlock like most horror remakes...

#16 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14594 posts) -

that's cool, i never knew that . i will have to look and see if it was collected into a trade paperback.Riverwolf007
They do. Dynamite Entertainment has released three Omnibuses of Army of Darkness.  I believe the title is still ongoing to date.

#17 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
not sure about this...without raimi directing or campbell...
#18 Posted by Hallenbeck77 (14594 posts) -
not sure about this...without raimi directing or campbell...campzor
Both of them are heavily involved in this production; they are the producers and are releasing the film through their company, Ghost House Pictures, with their longtime producer Robert Tapert.
#19 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5420 posts) -
It looks like it could have some good scares. I'll probably wait for the un-rated version though.
#20 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

I think i'll wait until it hits bluray.

#21 Posted by Jack-Burton (2433 posts) -
 Hell yeah, apart from the Lack of fellow 80's Icon Bruce Campbell.
#22 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

Hell yeah, apart from the Lack of fellow 80's Icon Bruce Campbell. Jack-Burton

love ur avatar.

#23 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

[QUOTE="Aljosa23"]

[QUOTE="Rhazakna"]I'm glad they're trying to emulate the darker tone of the original film, instead of trying to replicate the humor of the sequels.aaronmullan

Which is pretty annoying. A lot of people dismiss the original too because they think 2 is a full remake. Pretty silly.

I hate those types. They're not really Evil Dead fans so much as just Ash fans. The Evil Dead board on imdb is plagued with these fools. "ZOMG NO ASH!!!!??? NOT WATCHING." They're freakin morons.

#24 Posted by Bikouchu35 (7610 posts) -

Ash%20and%20Boomstick.jpg

Yeah I guess I'm not an evil dead fan.

#25 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

The showing is about to begin. People are posting pictures of it on twitter. Some of them are located in this thread - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/board/flat/211699171

I wish I was there :cry:

#26 Posted by tryagainlater (7445 posts) -

I hope Bruce Campbell has a small cameo. He keeps saying he doesn't but I like to think he's lying. Regardless, this movie seems really interesting. Evil Dead is my favourite series of movies which possibly means I should hate any remake but the way Bruce keeps going on about it and the fact that it's almost all practical effects is something to be excited about.

Roll on April 5.

#27 Posted by Swanogt19 (24159 posts) -
I've only seen the first film. Wish netflix would put up the other two. Planning on seeing this movie day 1.
#28 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

It's got good reviews on rottentomatoes so far.

#29 Posted by WAJ (741 posts) -

It's sad that I'm so old that I remember the first Evil Dead being available on VHS cassette... Hope this new version is as good now as the original was back then.

#30 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28273 posts) -

First reactions to the film.

Seems like the most it has going for it is the gore, which is what I was expecting. 

#31 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29712 posts) -
Hoping it's good, loved Evil Dead 1/2.
#32 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

5 reviews on RT, all positive. Average rating sits at a respectable 7.0 but will most likely drop. The tomatometer will probably steady out in the 60-70% range with an average rating of 6 something. Not bad considering most modern day horror films recieve a total ass whooping from critics.

#33 Posted by dercoo (12555 posts) -

Its 100% with only 5 reviews.....

Even then, the average score is 7.0

This score is going to drop off, but it does seem this is deffinatly not a cheap remake cash grab that many feared.

#34 Posted by zenogandia (861 posts) -

Lol dude, seriously... 5 reviews? Wait till it gets 200 reviews than add the exlamation point at the end.

#35 Posted by Jack-Burton (2433 posts) -
I'll be seeing it what ever, This and Iron Man 3 in the same month make ol'Jack very happy.
#37 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

Lol dude, seriously... 5 reviews? Wait till it gets 200 reviews than add the exlamation point at the end.

zenogandia

It won't get 200 reviews.>.>

#38 Posted by lamprey263 (25254 posts) -
it's easy to have a good score when there's few reviews, but it's a good starts so hope it maintains a positive impression, just checked and one rotten review dropped the score to 83%, that's still decent overall for now
#39 Posted by sune_Gem (12463 posts) -

Never heard of it, but if it's about zombies I'll pass.

#40 Posted by Master_ShakeXXX (13361 posts) -

it's easy to have a good score when there's few reviews, but it's a good starts so hope it maintains a positive impression, just checked and one rotten review dropped the score to 83%, that's still decent overall for nowlamprey263

It went up a little to 86%. Rottentomatoes still hasn't posted the Hollywood Reporter review yet and those guys gave it high praise.

#41 Posted by sukraj (23818 posts) -

I'll be seeing it what ever, This and Iron Man 3 in the same month make ol'Jack very happy.Jack-Burton

jack burton says go and watch the film.

#42 Posted by Darthkaiser (12447 posts) -
I trust rotten tomatoes like second god so i'll definetly see it
#43 Posted by konvikt_17 (22334 posts) -

86% now

#44 Posted by TheWalkingGhost (5481 posts) -

86% now

konvikt_17
LOL
#45 Posted by mitu123 (154589 posts) -

Now at 75%...dropping fast!

#46 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
75 on rottentomatoes.
#47 Posted by Netherscourge (16350 posts) -

Not happy about them taking out the dark humor aspects...

I loved the goofy stuff in the Bruce Campbell versions. 

#48 Posted by JasonDarksavior (9323 posts) -

Really disappointed this comes so late to Australian cinemas - 16th of May seems so long away :(