Republican National Committee Just Officially Declared That Coal Is "Clean"

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 82

User Lists: 0

#51 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde
Member since 2005 • 12935 Posts

@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@JimB said:
@todd said:

Lmao, they're politicians. You don't have any morals if you're a politician excluding the select few.

Hillary's poll numbers are falling because of Honesty and Morality.

Exactly my point.

Will you listen to yourself? Will you listen to the stupidity of this line of reasoning? When here poll numbers were rising, was it because she was telling the truth with a moral standing? "My side has morals, it does it does it does for sure!" Jesus, listen to yourselves.

If this were truly a country of laws Hillary would be disqualified from being president under Title 18 Section 2071 of the US Constitution. By the way she doesn't tell the truth. She wouldn't know the truth if it hit her in the face.

That is not the problem. She is an extreme sociopath. She knows the truth, and gets so far out of it's way, it becomes comical when she denies it. If you or I did what she did in relation to her emails, we would be in prison for decades, under criminal negligence, and espionage most likely. Her getting off does not surprise me. If Dick Cheney and George W. Bush, along with their cabinet, were not indicted under international war crimes statutes, it is obvious as to whether or not Hilary would go to prison for this, in an election year.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@mattbbpl said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:

The party is defined by being allied with religious crazies. It does not surprise me they do not value evidence and scientific inquiry.

Because they have morals. The left could use some.

Do tell. Are you referring to the morality they use to discriminate against LGBT people discussed in their party platform? Perhaps the morality that compels their candidate to exhibit racism and xenophobia in such a matter that not even their House Speaker tries to deny it? Perhaps the morality that causes their presidential candidate to promote killing the family members of terrorists as a matter of foreign policy? Or the morality that urges their candidate to promote the use of torture? Or maybe the morality that urges them to continually promote policies that increase the burden on the poor in order to decrease it on the wealthy despite the evidence and history that it does not have the affects they claim (I'm not sure if this one is a reflection of a lack of morality or intelligence)?

lol he will just brush your post aside and continue with his head in the sand. JimB isn't an honest poster.

Huh, looks like you were right.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#53 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@JimB said:

Exactly my point.

Will you listen to yourself? Will you listen to the stupidity of this line of reasoning? When here poll numbers were rising, was it because she was telling the truth with a moral standing? "My side has morals, it does it does it does for sure!" Jesus, listen to yourselves.

My line of reasoning that a majority of politicians don't follow under moral guidelines is considered stupid? It's common knowledge.

Learn how to talk politics without insulting others for their opinions. Doing so will not only convince those on the fence on particular issues that what you're saying has substance and validity to it, but it will also garner a respect by those you oppose as well.

Or you can just show how easily your emotions control you when somebody brings up someone you've never even met.

You still appear to not be able to address my criticism. If her polls were dropping because of honesty and morality, what explains the times when she rises in the polls? I was not insulting your opinion, but the reasoning, or lack, of your statement. People love to throw the word morality in a dualistic way, and I think it is pathetic.

The e-mail investigation produced facts not in dispute backed by the FBI director that Hillary was not truthful in her comments as a result people have changed their opinion on her truthfulness which explains how her numbers rose and fell in the polls.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:

Exactly my point.

My line of reasoning that a majority of politicians don't follow under moral guidelines is considered stupid? It's common knowledge.

Learn how to talk politics without insulting others for their opinions. Doing so will not only convince those on the fence on particular issues that what you're saying has substance and validity to it, but it will also garner a respect by those you oppose as well.

Or you can just show how easily your emotions control you when somebody brings up someone you've never even met.

You still appear to not be able to address my criticism. If her polls were dropping because of honesty and morality, what explains the times when she rises in the polls? I was not insulting your opinion, but the reasoning, or lack, of your statement. People love to throw the word morality in a dualistic way, and I think it is pathetic.

The e-mail investigation produced facts not in dispute backed by the FBI director that Hillary was not truthful in her comments as a result people have changed their opinion on her truthfulness which explains how her numbers rose and fell in the polls.

So her numbers rose, retroactively in the past, based upon what the FBI director said last week? You still have not articulated how her dropping due to, as you put it "Hillary's poll numbers are falling because of Honesty and Morality." also explains her rising in the polls as well.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 JimB

@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@JimB said:

Exactly my point.

If this were truly a country of laws Hillary would be disqualified from being president under Title 18 Section 2071 of the US Constitution. By the way she doesn't tell the truth. She wouldn't know the truth if it hit her in the face.

That is not the problem. She is an extreme sociopath. She knows the truth, and gets so far out of it's way, it becomes comical when she denies it. If you or I did what she did in relation to her emails, we would be in prison for decades, under criminal negligence, and espionage most likely. Her getting off does not surprise me. If Dick Cheney and George W. Bush, along with their cabinet, were not indicted under international war crimes statutes, it is obvious as to whether or not Hilary would go to prison for this, in an election year.

I don't know about international law, but they did not violate US law.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 JimB

@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@hillelslovak said:

So her numbers rose, retroactively in the past, based upon what the FBI director said last week? You still have not articulated how her dropping due to, as you put it "Hillary's poll numbers are falling because of Honesty and Morality." also explains her rising in the polls as well.

Her number were rising until the FBI director made his public report not to indict Hillary. Since the report her number have been dropping and as of today Trump now holds a seven point lead nationally. Just for the heck of it I looked up Hillary's lies and was astounded at what I found.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:

Her number were rising until the FBI director made his public report not to indict Hillary. Since the report her number have been dropping and as of today Trump now holds a seven point lead nationally. Just for the heck of it I looked up Hillary's lies and was astounded at what I found.

Still not at all addressed. If it is her lack of morals and ethics that determined her drop in polls, what explains the times she rose in polls?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#58 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44545 Posts

My worry about these harmful means of energy is that when we stop using them it'll be because the cost of extraction exceeds the economic return, which we will see in our lifetimes on all ends from oil, coal, and natural gas. One example of this already in effect is fracking profits themselves are so miniscule that high energy costs themselves are essential for making it profitable and since natural gas prices are tied to the barrel of oil costs when oil went down it became unprofitable to pursue for quite a while. My worry about when we move on from coal and oil and gas is that when we do it, we won't have the resources needed to transform our energy needs. Making solar and wind and other forms of renewable require lots of power themselves which won't be available when switching to them becomes imperative. Right now we need to transform to a renewable future, and we'll need the energy of the dirty fuels to get us there. Right now they're not we're doing that.

Planning for a radically different future too means making many big changes to our lifestyles. For instance, as a country we need to promote new technologies for things like localized food production, like indoor urban farms. We have to rezone our cities to mix up commercial, business, and residential to cut down on epic commutes, we have to redesign transportation that everyone can use and with an infrastructure that's manageable. We'll have to focus on urbanization to save money. Surely in the future too how we live is going to change. More people will likely need to be packed into single dwellings. We'll need to cut back on our materialism and individualism and work more collectively. More work, less leisure. The future is going to be a challenge.

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#59 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@comp_atkins said:
@foxhound_fox said:

The only reason the US cares so much about selling coal is because there is just so fucking much of it that they COULD be energy exclusive from the rest of the world, but they can't be because of pollution.

the vast majority of the transportation sector cannot run on coal

If trains weren't killed off by automobiles, I'd guarantee steam trains would still be a thing in the US.

Todd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 Todd
Member since 2016 • 21 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@JimB said:

Exactly my point.

My apologies as to there was a miscommunication on my part. It looks as if I was agreeing with JimB's standpoint on her poll numbers falling, but I wasn't necessarily commenting on that as I was just trying to imply that a lot of politicians aren't honest or have morals they stand by.

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@todd said:
@JimB said:

Exactly my point.

Amen to that.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#62  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@loco145 said:

The Republican National Committee Just Officially Declared That Coal Is "Clean"

The Republican platform committee met in Cleveland the week before the Republican National Convention to hammer out the party's policies in a Trump era. Not to be outdone by Democrats, who approved the party's strongest platform language yet on climate change this weekend, Republicans have gone as far as possible in the other direction—by endorsing coal as clean.

After a unanimous vote on Monday, the RNC's draft platform officially declares coal "an abundant, clean, affordable, reliable domestic energy resource."

David Barton, a delegate from Texas, proposed the single-word edit to the RNC's already-glowing list of adjectives on coal in its platform draft. "I would insert the adjective 'clean' along with coal, particularly because the technology we have now," was Barton's reasoning.

For years the coal industry—and at one point, even President Barack Obama—promoted the idea of "clean coal," that expensive and imperfect carbon-capture-and-storage technology could someday make coal less terrible. But there's no way it is clean.

Source.

Who needs science when we have rhetoric and economic interests?

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/231265577_Development_of_Catalyst_Free_Carbon_Nanotubes_from_Coal_and_Waste_Plastics

CO2 product is a resource for mass carbon nanotube materials production. If there's a problem then there's an opportunity.

Avatar image for brandonisking99
brandonisking99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By brandonisking99
Member since 2015 • 39 Posts

All jokes aside, it really does scare the living hell out of me the republican party. This isn't very surprising to hear considering most republicans still don't even believe that global warming is occurring. Clean energy and global energy should be the number priority, not only to the U.S. government, but to the whole entire world.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 JimB

@brandonisking99 said:

All jokes aside, it really does scare the living hell out of me the republican party. This isn't very surprising to hear considering most republicans still don't even believe that global warming is occurring. Clean energy and global energy should be the number priority, not only to the U.S. government, but to the whole entire world.

Global warming is occurring, but man made global warming is only 3% of the problem. Scientists have not been able to prove or disprove the man made global warming problem. Before you start citing that 97% of scientists believe in global warming look behind the green curtain they could not agree that is why it is a consensus and not fact. They just stopped arguing about it.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 JimB

@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:

Still not at all addressed. If it is her lack of morals and ethics that determined her drop in polls, what explains the times she rose in polls?

Someone one other than the Republicans said it. The source was from someone in the Obama Administration, the FBI Director.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 deactivated-5cf0a2e13dbde

@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:

Someone one other than the Republicans said it. The source was from someone in the Obama Administration, the FBI Director.

wut?

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Coal is clean and 2+2=5.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

@drunk_pi: Not all scientists believe 2+2=4. Many of them argue that 2+2=5 but you won't hear that from our biased commie media.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@mark1974 said:

@drunk_pi: Not all scientists believe 2+2=4. Many of them argue that 2+2=5 but you won't hear that from our biased commie media.

Smoking cigarettes is good for you too. The camel said so.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 N30F3N1X
Member since 2009 • 8923 Posts

@Maroxad said:
No one is naive enough to think we can completely stop it. However... the fact is, we could be doing a lot better, but as a species we are holding back. That is why we are unhappy. We have better solutions, but due to the corruption in the system, we arent doing anything about it.

Edit: for Starters, we can switch to better, cleaner power sources such as nuclear power.

Easy there dude, you don't want to be the guy who speaks scientifically sound, level-headed sentences here. This is a topic where the only opinions allowed are those of uneducated cretins, lest you be called a shill for whatever lobbies are flavor of the month.

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 N30F3N1X
@ronvalencia said:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/231265577_Development_of_Catalyst_Free_Carbon_Nanotubes_from_Coal_and_Waste_Plastics

CO2 product is a resource for mass carbon nanotube materials production. If there's a problem then there's an opportunity.

Fairly sure the second principle of thermodynamics has something to say about that

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 ronvalencia

@N30F3N1X said:
@ronvalencia said:

Fairly sure the second principle of thermodynamics has something to say about that

There's expensive $$$$ price tag for carbon nanotube materials.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By ronvalencia

@N30F3N1X said:
@ronvalencia said:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/carbon-nanofibres-atmosphere-licht

'Solar powered' nanofibre factory pulls CO2 out of the air

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 N30F3N1X

@ronvalencia said:

http://www.wired.co.uk/article/carbon-nanofibres-atmosphere-licht

'Solar powered' nanofibre factory pulls CO2 out of the air

Do you know what the second principle of thermodynamics is?

Also, the article you linked has nothing to do with CO2. The only reason a newspaper even made an article out of this is because the guy publicizing his research managed to sneak the locution "CO2 reduction" into his attempt at advertising and of course the scientifically illiterate journalist who heard it fell for it hook, line and sinker.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#75 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:

The party is defined by being allied with religious crazies. It does not surprise me they do not value evidence and scientific inquiry.

So having morals is somehow incompatible with valuing science/evidence? Wut?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By GreySeal9

@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:

The only poll showing Trump with a lead is Rassmusen, which is biased towards Republicans. Rassmusen was completely wrong about the 2012 election because of that same Republican bias. Besides that poll and another one showing a tie nationally, Hillary is ahead in every other poll, though the race has narrowed somewhat.

You really need to look at all the data rather than just the data that you want to believe. That is part of being a well-informed person.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By GreySeal9

@mattbbpl said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:

Do tell. Are you referring to the morality they use to discriminate against LGBT people discussed in their party platform? Perhaps the morality that compels their candidate to exhibit racism and xenophobia in such a matter that not even their House Speaker tries to deny it? Perhaps the morality that causes their presidential candidate to promote killing the family members of terrorists as a matter of foreign policy? Or the morality that urges their candidate to promote the use of torture? Or maybe the morality that urges them to continually promote policies that increase the burden on the poor in order to decrease it on the wealthy despite the evidence and history that it does not have the affects they claim (I'm not sure if this one is a reflection of a lack of morality or intelligence)?

Great post. Frankly, considering the right's general philosophy about how people should be treated, the idea that they have some kind of monopoly on morality is frankly preposterous. The right is all about psuedo-morality like being against homosexuality, morality that doesn't actually make the world a better place. Whereas the left, though not even close to perfect (just look at all the disgusting racism from Bernie supporters), shows more compassion and concern for other human beings (that people on the right use "social justice warrior" as a pejorative term says it all really). It's weird that the right is so ultra-Christian because their callous lack of compassion and their constant need to judge other people flies in the face of Jesus' teachings. It's like they look at the Bible and say "Let's follow all the bad archaic stuff and ignore all the good stuff!"

N30F3N1X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 N30F3N1X

@GreySeal9 said:

So having morals is somehow incompatible with valuing science/evidence? Wut?

It's not a surprising statement at all. Most of the people who feel the need to claim that they act based on morality (or whatever other generic, all-encompassing and meaningless word is flavor of the month at the moment), do so specifically because they want to go against science/evidence.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Not surprised in the slightest that that's their stance...

There's just too many idiots in the world. And sadly, a lot of them are in powerful positions in government.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@mattbbpl said:
@JimB said:
@hillelslovak said:

Great post. Frankly, considering the right's general philosophy about how people should be treated, the idea that they have some kind of monopoly on morality is frankly preposterous. The right is all about psuedo-morality like being against homosexuality, morality that doesn't actually make the world a better place. Whereas the left, though not even close to perfect (just look at all the disgusting racism from Bernie supporters), shows more compassion and concern for other human beings (that people on the right use "social justice warrior" as a pejorative term says it all really). It's weird that the right is so ultra-Christian because their callous lack of compassion and their constant need to judge other people flies in the face of Jesus' teachings. It's like they look at the Bible and say "Let's follow all the bad archaic stuff and ignore all the good stuff!"

Social Justice Warrior has lost all its meaning. I have been called one for the same statements I have been called a homophobe and an islamophobe for (two other terms that also lost their meaning). Some Cranks, will call you whatever is the extreme opposite of their position for simply not agreeing with their ridiculous agenda. Empiricism is the way to go, and sadly, it will make you more enemies than friends.

“I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.”

I find that quote to apply to both Sanders Supporters (especially the bunch who now hate Sanders because he endorsed Hillary) AND self proclaimed followers of Christ. Btw did you hear about Robert Jeffress... a christian pastor who would rather vote for Donald Trump than Jesus Christ? I find that to be very telling.

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By mattbbpl  Online
Member since 2006 • 23024 Posts

@GreySeal9: Yeah, the Democrats are not great across the board, but the Republicans keep reaching for new depths of repugnance. How anyone can say they are the party of morality with a straight face is beyond me.

Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Maroxad  Online
Member since 2007 • 23895 Posts

@mattbbpl said:

@GreySeal9: Yeah, the Democrats are not great across the board, but the Republicans keep reaching for new depths of repugnance. How anyone can say they are the party of morality with a straight face is beyond me.

Because of different moral values and standards... it can go right into crank territory too. Wasnt there a person who said just 2 weeks ago or so that actions that keep society stable (regardless of how detrimental they are) are moral. Even including atrocities like veiling women, suppressing human nature and killing apostates and blasphemers.

Of course, not all moral codes are created equally. Some moral codes are objectively better than others, as they lead to far greater well being to a society. Unusual punishments and laws are not moral. Likewise, the moral platform on the GOP are also very disgusting. But alas, as long as moral relativity remains, and intelligent discussion is often shut out of the moral atmosphere. Morality is one field that has probably more cranks than any other. Mistaking ideology for morality.

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#83 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@foxhound_fox:

@foxhound_fox said:
@comp_atkins said:
@foxhound_fox said:

The only reason the US cares so much about selling coal is because there is just so fucking much of it that they COULD be energy exclusive from the rest of the world, but they can't be because of pollution.

the vast majority of the transportation sector cannot run on coal

If trains weren't killed off by automobiles, I'd guarantee steam trains would still be a thing in the US.

steam trains were killed off by gasoline / diesel and then diesel electric trains. it's not efficient for a train to have to be constantly stopping to refill it's boilers with more and more water

maybe we should bring back steam powered automobiles

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

@comp_atkins: Closed loops water systems. Nuclear trains. Think beyond!

comp_atkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#85 comp_atkins
Member since 2005 • 38674 Posts

@loco145 said:

@comp_atkins: Closed loops water systems. Nuclear trains. Think beyond!

a nuclear powered train wouldn't have much use for coal then would it?

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Throwing my hat in here.

Nuclear has its own problems. Not as bad as coal, but it still has serious problems and fully embracing it with open arms may not be the best idea.

Uranium deposits are limited, and a huge proportion of it is on sanctioned native american lands. So that now brings up the issue of shitting on the natives, again, for profit. Then there's the actual issue of getting the uranium out, which absolutely obliterates the landscape that its in, and then there's the issue of safely disposing of nuclear waste. You gotta get rid of it somewhere, but no town ordinance is willing to have it stashed nearby.

All of the energy sources have problem. Hydroelectric power has killed more $$$ worth of fish than it has generated through the value of its electricity. Windmills kill birds, solar is expensive, uses toxic compounds, and has stupid maintenance problems, geothermal is extremely limited, etc etc etc.

All that being said though, **** coal. It and hydrofracking are by far the worst options available to us.

PraetorianMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 PraetorianMan
Member since 2011 • 2073 Posts

Just watched the DNC's first night.

I'm 100% decided. I'm voting democrat. Throughout all four nights the republicans failed to make even vague gestures about environmental issues.

Granted, my undergrad studies were in aquatic and fisheries science, so I'll be the first to admit that my perspective is skewed. All the same, the Democrats have at given the environment lip service, and their platform doesn't have retarded shit in it like "Coal is clean".