Religion is not harmless

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AlexKidd5000
Member since 2005 • 3103 Posts

The Amazing Atheist, making even more good points why religion is pure evil, and does in fact cause more harm than good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Religion bashing thread number 9764.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AlexKidd5000

@uninspiredcup said:

Not enough IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#4 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

I'm also an atheist but what's the point of threads like this? If you're already an atheist then you don't need it and if you're not chances are you won't give a crap no matter how many arguments get thrown in your face.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 AlexKidd5000

@korvus said:

I'm also an atheist but what's the point of threads like this? If you're already an atheist then you don't need it and if you're not chances are you won't give a crap no matter how many arguments get thrown in your face.

Why not? maybe someone who IS religious will see the atheist point of view, and understand where we are coming from.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@korvus said:

Validation of beliefs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e

@AlexKidd5000: You think somebody who is not certain of their faith will search GS's OT forums for an answer?

@Shottayouth13-: I'm assuming you're referring to the TC seeking validation for his/hers?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000: You think somebody who is not certain of their faith will search GS's OT forums for an answer?

@Shottayouth13-: I'm assuming you're referring to the TC seeking validation for his/hers?

Most likely there are gamespot members who are.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 AlexKidd5000
@Shottayouth13- said:

@korvus said:

Validation of beliefs.

Facts, not beliefs.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@AlexKidd5000 said:

So you're saying that if you ever became unsure that atheism was the right path for you GS would be the first place you'd search?

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

@AlexKidd5000: Whatever makes you sleep at nights.

@korvus: Yep.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

So you're saying that if you ever became unsure that atheism was the right path for you GS would be the first place you'd search?

Never mind, you don't get what I'm saying. I'm saying christians should know how insane they look from the eyes of atheists.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 AlexKidd5000
@Shottayouth13- said:

@AlexKidd5000: Whatever makes you sleep at nights.

I don't need help sleeping at night :)

Serraph105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Serraph105
Member since 2007 • 36038 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Not enough IMO.

Why not? OT is mostly atheist already so doesn't that make a religion bashing thread little more than a circle jerk?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 AlexKidd5000

@Serraph105 said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Not enough IMO.

Why not? OT is mostly atheist already so doesn't that make a religion bashing thread little more than a circle jerk?

Hmm, your right, now this thread just became silly...

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

Yeah why can't everyone be atheist like Joseph Stalin and Mao? They didn't kill people in the name of religion. They only killed in the name of communism!

Fact: People who force their beliefs on others are assholes.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By uninspiredcup

@Serraph105 said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@uninspiredcup said:

Not enough IMO.

My guess is that this fixation for many "atheists" is less to do with religion and more a shitty means for teens and 20 somethings on the internet: behind a monitor to try attack and mock something to give themselfs the illusion that they are somehow better and feel just that teeny, tiny bit less inadequate.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@drunk_pi said:

Yeah why can't everyone be atheist like Joseph Stalin and Mao? They didn't kill people in the name of religion. They only killed in the name of communism!

And Hitler was a christian, whats your point?

@uninspiredcup Wrong, it is much more to do with religion being used as a tool to control people, and as an excuse to kill and hate people, which is NOT right. It's sickening.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 uninspiredcup

If you give so much of a shit hero: get up of your ass - go over to Iraq and fight ISIS.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 sayyy-gaa
Member since 2002 • 5850 Posts

@AlexKidd5000: this amazing atheist is waaay offbase. His rant borders on lunacy. Religion is not to blame for societal ills...people are. Dumb people. I am a fairly devout Christian. I am not an idiot. Being religious and reasonable is not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore this dude's example of a bunch of people thinking alike and being violent can apply to any number of groups...the KKK, black panthers, and slave masters immediately come to mind.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@uninspiredcup Wrong, it is much more to do with religion being used as a tool to control people, and as an excuse to kill and hate people, which is NOT right. It's sickening.

Any tool can be misused. I once smashed my thumb after misusing a hammer. Doesn't mean I go around complaining about how awful hammers are.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By AlexKidd5000

@MrGeezer said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Any tool can be misused. I once smashed my thumb after misusing a hammer. Doesn't mean I go around complaining about how awful hammers are.

Not really a valid point. Religion is not misused to hurt just one person in a minor way, it's used to hurt, control and KILL entire countries of people. War comes to mind.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 uninspiredcup

The AmazingAtheist should probably be complaining about the dangers of fast food and lack of physical education. That seems like the more pertinent threat to man tits.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By uninspiredcup

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Not really a valid point. Religion is not misused to hurt just one person in a minor way, it's used to hurt, control and KILL entire countries of people. War comes to mind.

It's also responsible with incredible works of art; creation of civilizations: promotion of good values; worldwide aid: emotional aid among many other things.

ferrari2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26 ferrari2001
Member since 2008 • 17772 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:

@MrGeezer said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

So is money, and power and land.. It's not religion it's human nature. The fact that a majority of people are religious means that the majority of bad people willing to look down and control others will also be religious. If you think for a minute that getting rid of religion will stop bad people from trying to control and destroy then you are naive.

Drunk_PI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Drunk_PI
Member since 2014 • 3358 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@drunk_pi said:

The point is people who force their beliefs on others are assholes who will commit atrocities. You see that with religious and non-religious people who interpret their views in order to get support to carry out atrocities. You have a simplistic view of the world thinking that religion is the main cause of all misery when in reality 99% it's mans' desire to acquire power by an means necessary and then force their beliefs, regardless of what they are, on the people.

You can see that with the Crusades, Mao's China, Rousseau's France, Pol Pot's Cambodia, Hitler's Germany, Islamic terrorism in the Middle East and worldwide, the Communist leaders in Soviet Russia, and more. Religion has been used for great evil but also for good, and the same can be said about any or most religions or political leanings worldwide.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 sayyy-gaa

@AlexKidd5000: you're missing the point. It's not about religion. It's about people. People were committing horrible acts against one another long before religion was invented. If every deity worshipper renounced their beliefs and became atheists do you think all wars and atrocities will cease? Will eternal peace be achieved?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 AlexKidd5000
@sayyy-gaa said:

@AlexKidd5000: this amazing atheist is waaay offbase. His rant borders on lunacy. Religion is not to blame for societal ills...people are. Dumb people. I am a fairly devout Christian. I am not an idiot. Being religious and reasonable is not mutually exclusive.

Furthermore this dude's example of a bunch of people thinking alike and being violent can apply to any number of groups...the KKK, black panthers, and slave masters immediately come to mind.

Who is to say that religion was not the driving force for all those other organizations? The problem is that, religion HAS to be respected, or else people become violent when there beliefs are questioned. When religion is used to perpetuate war, no one acknowledges religion being the cause, or how dangerous it can be when it's abused. I know if there was a deadly virus spreading across the world, steps would be taken to stop it, but if it's religion, it's looked at as a non-entity. If religion didn't exist, it couldn't be abused by assholes, and there would be a lot more peace.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Who is to say that religion was not the driving force for all those other organizations? The problem is that, religion HAS to be respected, or else people become violent when there beliefs are questioned. When religion is used to perpetuate war, no one acknowledges religion being the cause, or how dangerous it can be when it's abused. I know if there was a deadly virus spreading across the world, steps would be taken to stop it, but if it's religion, it's looked at as a non-entity. If religion didn't exist, it couldn't be abused by assholes, and there would be a lot more peace.

In most cases religion is the excuse, not the cause. If you could end all religions you would only be forcing people to come up with new excuses, nothing else.

sayyy-gaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 sayyy-gaa

@korvus: exactly

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 AlexKidd5000
@sayyy-gaa said:

@AlexKidd5000: you're missing the point. It's not about religion. It's about people. People were committing horrible acts against one another long before religion was invented. If every deity worshipper renounced their beliefs and became atheists do you think all wars and atrocities will cease? Will eternal peace be achieved?

Religion is often used as a veil to cover up, or give excuse to committing terrible crimes against humanity, because then no body has the right to question it, because "God told me this was right", weather or not the perpetrator is in fact religious. I guess that kinda proves your point. People are asshole, and too many assholes are given power.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Those who make religion bashing threads sucks than religion lol.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

In most cases religion is the excuse, not the cause. If you could end all religions you would only be forcing people to come up with new excuses, nothing else.

Yeah yes, you are probably right, Which means people have to be educated, and not brain washed into thinking that some asshole is there savior. Knowledge is true power, not religion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 uninspiredcup

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Which means people have to be educated, and not brain washed into thinking that some asshole is there savior. Knowledge is true power, not religion.

Maybe you can lead us.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Which means people have to be educated, and not brain washed into thinking that some asshole is there savior. Knowledge is true power, not religion.

We're back to the same thing then. Using your view of things people like me (atheists) are already "educated" and people like @uninspiredcup don't want to be. So who are you aiming to "educate"?

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 AlexKidd5000
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

We're back to the same thing then. Using your view of things people like me (atheists) are already "educated" and people like @uninspiredcup don't want to be. So who are you aiming to "educate"?

People can have religion, but education is more important.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By uninspiredcup

@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I'm atheist as well matey. I just think some people cheaply bash religion and attempt to piss on them in shitty attempts to boost an ego.

It's became cliche internet bullshit.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Who said religious people are uneducated? :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 deactivated-5b797108c254e

@uninspiredcup said:

I'm atheist as well matey. I just think some people cheaply bash religion and attempt to piss on them in shitty attempts to boost an ego. It's became cliche internet bullshit.

Ah, well...my intention should still be clear =)

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@indzman said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Who said religious people are uneducated? :)

Not saying religious people are inherently uneducated, but too many are.

AlexKidd5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By AlexKidd5000
@uninspiredcup said:

@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

I'm atheist as well matey. I just think some people cheaply bash religion and attempt to piss on them in shitty attempts to boost an ego.

I am not trying to boost my ego, I just have strong feelings about innocent people who are persecuted, or killed in the name of religion.

aretilda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#43  Edited By aretilda
Member since 2014 • 499 Posts

Well I don't need anymore convincing, Atheist here. Cool video which makes total sense and all are very good points. I've been an Atheist for a short while now and I'll never go back to being religious.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#44 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

The best atheists are the ones who keep to themselves. The best theists are also the ones who keep to themselves. Basically, the world would be a much better place if each side would just shut the **** up about one another.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#45 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Never mind, you don't get what I'm saying. I'm saying christians should know how insane they look from the eyes of atheists.

This statement... No they shouldn't. Why the **** should they care about what atheists see them as? Atheists like yourself should be more concerned about how much of an ASSHOLE you look like to them. Honestly, there is NO point in shoving this kind of shit down their throats, because you are essentially doing the SAME THING to them that you accuse them of doing to yourselves. I'm agnostic, by the way. I'm just bothered by atheists attitudes like yours that try to label religious people as insane.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts

I don't mind people believing in god and going to church or a mosque or whatever. I hate it when people deny basic scientific facts.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

The internet is the only place some of us can vent our feelings about religion....

mattbbpl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mattbbpl
Member since 2006 • 23010 Posts

@JustPlainLucas said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:
@korvus said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

This statement... No they shouldn't. Why the **** should they care about what atheists see them as? Atheists like yourself should be more concerned about how much of an ASSHOLE you look like to them. Honestly, there is NO point in shoving this kind of shit down their throats, because you are essentially doing the SAME THING to them that you accuse them of doing to yourselves. I'm agnostic, by the way. I'm just bothered by atheists attitudes like yours that try to label religious people as insane.

Yeah, agreed.

Really, people need to be willing to discuss openly and disagree without getting mad or condescending to each other. This goes for religious folks as well, but atheists have increasingly been adopting this practice as well. Perhaps it's a just that they're more comfortable as their numbers are growing, I don't know. Regardless, it is just as unacceptable (and counterproductive) as when members of religions do it.

Avatar image for deactivated-598fc45371265
deactivated-598fc45371265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50 deactivated-598fc45371265
Member since 2008 • 13247 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@AlexKidd5000 said:

Christianity, Islam, etc. are not tools but lists of demands. Homophobia for example is an innate element of Christianity. It's not a twisting or "misuse" it's a direct demand from God's Word...