Religion and Video Gaming

• 81 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/news/call-of-duty-map-removed-at-request-of-muslim-gamers-6397842

The above GameSpot article directly influenced this post.

It seems that a photo in a virtual bathroom with printed Islamic text was offensive to Muslims and my question was in what way? This question is obviously being posed to a person of the Islamic faith.

Note that the game has been out for almost three years, that this game includes extreme violence, even to civilians. This post is not made to be antagonistic and I seriously feel that it may help to understand the Islamic POV in areas such as this. It seems that the only response you get from Muslims when it comes to how and when they are offended is that "everyone else is ignorant" so please feel free to take the time out and educate instead of having the media paint the faith to the masses.

#2 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -
Answer: Religion sucks.
#3 Posted by themajormayor (25667 posts) -

Image 1

wafi alislam=and in Islam

:)

#4 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -
I cant decide if this belongs in OT or PGD :P
#5 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Ae people really surprised that this would be offensive?

#6 Posted by micos2013 (1 posts) -
Organized religion has always had its critics, but a relatively recent and rather curious source is video games. A recent study conducted by the University of Missouri claims games today "problematize religion by closely tying it in with violence." The research, as Kotaku reports, was conducted by doctoral student Greg Perreault, who cites five modern games: "Assassin's Creed," "Mass Effect 2," "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion," "Final Fantasy XIII," and "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow." Each heavily incorporates religion in their storylines. In addition to emphasizing violent aspects of religion, every game "created a of problem that the main character must overcome, whether it is a direct confrontation with religious zealots or being haunted by religious guilt." The study also argues such a connection "should have been anticipated." As narratives in games become more sophisticated, it was only a matter of time before they touched upon heavier subject matter such as religion, with its violent past that includes the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, much of the Old Testament, and the list goes on. Yet Perreault doesn't believe game creators are purposefully bashing religion. After all, "If you look at video games across the board, most of them involve violence in some fashion because violence is conflict and conflict is exciting. Religion appears to get tied in with violence because that makes for a compelling narrative.
#7 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Don't want to make the Muslims upset. They might get violent.
#8 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -
OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.
#9 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

The "heretic" Geth and their devotion to the "old machines" (Reapers) are the only thing I can think of, at least off hand, that resembles conflict with religious zealotry in 'Mass Effect 2'.

#10 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.GazaAli

I think the intolerance and aggression comes from the other way.

#11 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.RationalAtheist

It comes, to one degree or another, from both sides. Let's not kid ourselves, both camps have their aggressive, insulting members here.

#12 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.RationalAtheist

In the context of OT, I don't see theists going crazy on atheists.
#13 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

[QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.worlock77

It comes, to one degree or another, from both sides. Let's not kid ourselves, both camps have their aggressive, insulting members here.

I'm not sure we share the same concept of aggression.

#14 Posted by Kevlar101 (5993 posts) -
[QUOTE="micos2013"]Organized religion has always had its critics, but a relatively recent and rather curious source is video games. A recent study conducted by the University of Missouri claims games today "problematize religion by closely tying it in with violence." The research, as Kotaku reports, was conducted by doctoral student Greg Perreault, who cites five modern games: "Assassin's Creed," "Mass Effect 2," "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion," "Final Fantasy XIII," and "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow." Each heavily incorporates religion in their storylines. In addition to emphasizing violent aspects of religion, every game "created a of problem that the main character must overcome, whether it is a direct confrontation with religious zealots or being haunted by religious guilt." The study also argues such a connection "should have been anticipated." As narratives in games become more sophisticated, it was only a matter of time before they touched upon heavier subject matter such as religion, with its violent past that includes the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, much of the Old Testament, and the list goes on. Yet Perreault doesn't believe game creators are purposefully bashing religion. After all, "If you look at video games across the board, most of them involve violence in some fashion because violence is conflict and conflict is exciting. Religion appears to get tied in with violence because that makes for a compelling narrative.

Sh!t like this is why I hate life.
#15 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

RationalAtheist

I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.
#16 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.GazaAli

In the context of OT, I don't see theists going crazy on atheists.

I notice it. I must admit I misread your post and thought you were referring specifically to Islam. I tend to agree that most religious discussions quickly degenerate into name-calling and find that aspect frustrating myself.

#17 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

GazaAli

I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.

Here in the US (and a huge portion of the membership here are from the US) there truely is a large segment of highly religious folks (mostly Christian) who are doing absolutely everything they can to undermine science in this country.

#18 Posted by mindstorm (15242 posts) -

I love it when there are religious references or connotations in video games (regardless of whether they are real religions). Examples of this would be the beliefs of the Hanar in Mass Effect, the Eight Divines and Talos in the Elder Scrolls, the Light in Warcraft, Bible references in Fallout 3, theological debates over the existence of God in Dragon Age, religious tension in Assassin's Creed, Sin in Final Fantasy X, or the thoughts regarding joining the Lifestream within Gaia in Final Fantasy VII.

So many games feature religious depictions, sometimes explicit and sometimes not. Even the idea of the main hero in games are often Messiah-type characters who save the world from some great evil is an implicit and probably unintentional reference.

#19 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="RationalAtheist"]

worlock77

Here in the US (and a huge portion of the membership here are from the US) there truely is a large segment of highly religious folks (mostly Christian) who are doing absolutely everything they can to undermine science in this country.

It exists I'm sure, also from Muslims. But there are a lot of religious scientists and researchers out there.
#20 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

Organized religion has always had its critics, but a relatively recent and rather curious source is video games. A recent study conducted by the University of Missouri claims games today "problematize religion by closely tying it in with violence." The research, as Kotaku reports, was conducted by doctoral student Greg Perreault, who cites five modern games: "Assassin's Creed," "Mass Effect 2," "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion," "Final Fantasy XIII," and "Castlevania: Lords of Shadow." Each heavily incorporates religion in their storylines. In addition to emphasizing violent aspects of religion, every game "created a of problem that the main character must overcome, whether it is a direct confrontation with religious zealots or being haunted by religious guilt." The study also argues such a connection "should have been anticipated." As narratives in games become more sophisticated, it was only a matter of time before they touched upon heavier subject matter such as religion, with its violent past that includes the Spanish Inquisition, the Crusades, much of the Old Testament, and the list goes on. Yet Perreault doesn't believe game creators are purposefully bashing religion. After all, "If you look at video games across the board, most of them involve violence in some fashion because violence is conflict and conflict is exciting. Religion appears to get tied in with violence because that makes for a compelling narrative.micos2013

This is what I take offense to. As a firm believer in the idea that video games are an art form, when of the basic principles of art is that it's up to the person looking at it to draw their own conclusions about it.

I don't think developers are out to paint any religion or ideology as "bad," that's all up to the receiver on how they want to interpret it.

History would tell you that it's not a compelling narrative alone that unifies violence and religion

#21 Posted by RationalAtheist (4424 posts) -

I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.GazaAli

Personifying a religious argument is usually futile. I don't know if you refer to a specific comment made recently about a creationist politician. I've also heard the opposite here too, aligning atheists with the immoral and erroneously bringing out the Hilter, Stalin, Mau and Pol Pot allegations against atheists.

#22 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.GazaAli

It exists I'm sure, also from Muslims. But there are a lot of religious scientists and researchers out there.

Sure, but generally speaking they're not the ones making noise. The folks (which, unfortunately, includes many lawmakers now) calling science the work of Satan are. Make enough commotion and people are going to start talking.

#23 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.RationalAtheist

Personifying a religious argument is usually futile. I don't know if you refer to a specific comment made recently about a creationist politician. I've also heard the opposite here too, aligning atheists with the immoral and erroneously bringing out the Hilter, Stalin, Mau and Pol Pot allegations against atheists.

Sometimes its hard not to personify it. Also yea i hear some crap from theists, like morality only comes from religion.
#24 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

worlock77

Yes but there is an even greater portion who believe that the two go hand in hand. For instance, I'm a Christian but imagine my conflict when my wife couldn't conceive a child. Needless to say, science helped in that regard and surprising to me all involved (doctors, nurses, etc.) were people of faith. I think the Science vs Religion argument is one the media likes to perpetuate, which causes a main-stream divide. On a more personal level, you'll find that the two co-exist rather well.

#25 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.GazaAli

Sometimes its hard not to personify it. Also yea i hear some crap from theists, like morality only comes from religion.

Your sig has just been stolen... :D

Love Beaker

#26 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] I have nothing against atheists really, on an "earthy" scale. But saying stuff like religious people are a threat to our survival, science is being destroyed by theists...etc it makes me feel pretty unwelcomed.cejay0813

Yes but there is an even greater portion who believe that the two go hand in hand. For instance, I'm a Christian but imagine my conflict when my wife couldn't conceive a child. Needless to say, science helped in that regard and surprising to me all involved (doctors, nurses, etc.) were people of faith. I think the Science vs Religion argument is one the media likes to perpetuate, which causes a main-stream divide. On a more personal level, you'll find that the two co-exist rather well.

Believe me, it's more than just media perpetuating it.

#27 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

cejay0813

Love Beaker

You can't :P
#28 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

[QUOTE="cejay0813"]

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

worlock77

Believe me, it's more than just media perpetuating it.

I realize and understand that the buck doesn't stop with them, but common ground would never be reached in that context

#29 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

[QUOTE="cejay0813"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] Sometimes its hard not to personify it. Also yea i hear some crap from theists, like morality only comes from religion.GazaAli

Love Beaker

Too late... it is now my desktop background

:cool: Deal with it

#30 Posted by GazaAli (22492 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="cejay0813"]

Love Beaker

cejay0813

Too late... it is now my desktop background

:cool: Deal with it

lol I'm mad.
#31 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16608 posts) -

I consider myself a person of faith and I have no problem with anti religion messages in games. Take, for instance, the Silent Hill games. One of my favorite series, but the games, particularly the third, are incredibly anti- religious, whether they intend to be or not. I'm not going to deny the violence religion has caused, and because of that I have no issue with games that have religious conotations.

#32 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

I consider myself a person of faith and I have no problem with anti religion messages in games. Take, for instance, the Silent Hill games. One of my favorite series, but the games, particularly the third, are incredibly anti- religious, whether they intend to be or not. I'm not going to deny the violence religion has caused, and because of that I have no issue with games that have religious conotations.

turtlethetaffer

Agreed. If it was the case where I'd take offense to a video game I would've pushed for Assassins Creed to be banned (awesome game btw), but I understand, like everyone should, that's it's just a work of art and fiction. I even wonder why disclaimers are even needed because who wouldn't get that.

#33 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16608 posts) -

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

cejay0813

Agreed. If it was the case where I'd take offense to a video game I would've pushed for Assassins Creed to be banned (awesome game btw), but I understand, like everyone should, that's it's just a work of art and fiction. I even wonder why disclaimers are even needed because who wouldn't get that.

Ha yeah IKR? Apparently at the Revelations release, my friend saw this drunk guy claiming to be Desomnd's descendant... (which doesn't make sense since AC is in the near future). So maybe there are people who think it's real! :P

But yeah I can enjoy a good story despite the anti religious contexts and like I said I won't deny the violence it's called. Some of my fav games are anti religious, like Silent Hill, Dead Space, Thief and Xenoblade Chronicles. (The latter being my personal GOTY thus far.)

#34 Posted by needled24-7 (15900 posts) -

too many butthurt muslims (not all muslims, just some of them)

#35 Posted by ShadowMoses900 (17081 posts) -

Some Muslims are extreamely sensitive, hell they started full scale riots across the ENTIRE world, especially in one region, all becuase of a low budget youtube video....they are just crazy.

Personally for COD I would like them to make one set in Israel and you play as an IDF Commando. That would be so cool.

#36 Posted by mingmao3046 (2474 posts) -
The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.
#37 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.mingmao3046
So a company trying to make it's customers happy = failure of the Western world?
#38 Posted by mingmao3046 (2474 posts) -
[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.Sajo7
So a company trying to make it's customers happy = failure of the Western world?

This problem is much bigger than infinity ward being a panzy and changing a map 3 years after it came out because some angry muslim made threats. It's happening all over europe where muslims are immigrating to UK, france, etc. and they are just leeching off the welfare, staying isolated, and demanding that everything be catered to them. Im sure the vast majority of COD customers would rather have the map stay as well....
#39 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -

[QUOTE="Sajo7"][QUOTE="mingmao3046"]The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.mingmao3046

This problem is much bigger than infinity ward being a panzy and changing a map 3 years after it came out because some angry muslim made threats. It's happening all over europe where muslims are immigrating to UK, france, etc. and they are just leeching off the welfare, staying isolated, and demanding that everything be catered to them. Im sure the vast majority of COD customers would rather have the map stay as well....

What do your thoughts on immigration have to do with Infinity Ward trying to hold on to customers?

#40 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.Sajo7

If it's about a company trying to make it's customers happy IW has already succeeded across the board, on a global scale (the kid in the video has obviously been playing for almost 3 years before discovering a flaw, and I'm sure he wasn't the only Muslim).

IW gave you, the consumer, a shooting game. You bought it, played it and liked/disliked it, based on those premises. Nothing else should matter.

#41 Posted by cejay0813 (611 posts) -

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Sajo7"] So a company trying to make it's customers happy = failure of the Western world?Sajo7

What do your thoughts on immigration have to do with Infinity Ward trying to hold on to customers?

I guarantee you that people of the Islamic faith will still buy and play a Call of Duty game in the future.

#42 Posted by mingmao3046 (2474 posts) -

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"][QUOTE="Sajo7"] So a company trying to make it's customers happy = failure of the Western world?Sajo7

It has to do with the current politically correct, western attitude of bowing down to immigrants (especially muslim immigrants)
#43 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29056 posts) -

OT has become pretty aggressive toward religion to the point its impossible to have any decent discussion about it. Really boring.GazaAli

Well some members of OT have always been hostile towards religion, just of late that hostility has been directed heavily against Islam.

On the other hand, I think generally some people take video games too seriously.

#44 Posted by Sajo7 (14049 posts) -
If it's about a company trying to make it's customers happy IW has already succeeded across the board, on a global scale (the kid in the video has obviously been playing for almost 3 years before discovering a flaw, and I'm sure he wasn't the only Muslim).

IW gave you, the consumer, a shooting game. You bought it, played it and liked/disliked it, based on those premises. Nothing else should matter.

cejay0813
Don't get me wrong, I find the whole thing pretty silly. :P You last point is interesting though, and personally I don't know how I feel about it. It reminds me of the debacle with the Mass Effect 3 ending, which ultimately led to Bioware putting out an "extended" edition of the ending. I personally enjoyed the original ending and though the outrage was petty and absurd, kind of like this example. My point being that the degree a fan's input should or shouldn't affect a game is pretty hazy at the moment. Also that map is coming back, just without the 'offensive' content.
#45 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29056 posts) -

I personally enjoyed the original endingSajo7

angry-mob-simpsons.jpg

#46 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.mingmao3046

The developer is pulling the map for a short term while they change a texture or two. If you feel this infringes or your freedom or the "common good" (whatever the f*ck that's suppose to be) then you're a little touched.

#47 Posted by mingmao3046 (2474 posts) -

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.worlock77

The developer is pulling the map for a short term while they change a texture or two. If you feel this infringes or your freedom or the "common good" (whatever the f*ck that's suppose to be) then you're a little touched.

I was talking about the bigger picture. This is just an example where IW is a panzy and dropped the map because of an angry muslim who apparently took 3 years to notice an "allah is great" on the wall (how is this offensive?)
#48 Posted by cheese_game619 (13316 posts) -
>some people are still religious >laughinggirls.jpg
#49 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

[QUOTE="worlock77"]

[QUOTE="mingmao3046"]The problem isn't about the Muslims. The problems is based in a society that has caved to any and every special interest or religious groups whims. Its why Western society is GOING to fail. Western society has determined that every minorities rights and feelings come before the common good and freedom of the citizens. Its so intent on not offending anyone that its willing to violate its fundamentals and character. The squeaky wheel is basically the focus of society now...Its our problem for not telling the whiners to STFU or GTFO.mingmao3046

I was talking about the bigger picture. This is just an example where IW is a panzy and dropped the map because of an angry muslim who apparently took 3 years to notice an "allah is great" on the wall (how is this offensive?)

They did not drop the map, they're changing a texture. Big goddamned deal.

#50 Posted by wis3boi (31003 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"]

ugh, the morality argument....such a shame that so many people in the world actually believe that without religion people will run around raping, stealing, and killing. I guess by their logic, Norway and Sweden should be committing genocide right now...oh wait, they are the most peaceful nations on earth