Regard for Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey

This topic is locked from further discussion.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

I found this show on Netflix and I decided to watch it as I was intrigued by the original Cosmos: A Spacetime Voyage with Carl Sagan. Neil deGrass Tyson does a good job presenting science of a variety of fields. I will be viewing all of the available episodes as I am both entertained and refreshed with information while also exposed to details I am new to. Overall, I respond with a thumb up.

Post your thoughts about this series.

Avatar image for WolfgarTheQuiet
WolfgarTheQuiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By WolfgarTheQuiet
Member since 2010 • 483 Posts

Love Carl Sagan's work so might check this out. Thanks for sharing.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 branketra

No problem!

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

Not enough Creationism obviously. We need to show both sides no matter how silly they are.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17859 Posts

Cosmos is pretty good, but I feel they skip a lot of details for the sake of brevity.

You should also check out 'Did God Create the Universe' with Stephen Hawking and also 'Particle Fever', both on Netflix.

SaintLeonidas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 SaintLeonidas
Member since 2006 • 26735 Posts

LOL science.

Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts

Not bad at all, but I felt like it was a bit watered down compared to some other documentaries. I want science documentaries to open my mind to new concepts, this felt more like a retread of old info, while showing the hardships of past scientists.

The "imagination ship" thing was meh, but worth it to see Tyson act like he was flying around and bracing for impacts :P

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 branketra
@Aljosa23 said:

Not enough Creationism obviously. We need to show both sides no matter how silly they are.

The responsibility of presenting an idea seems to be that of the respective proponents.

@br0kenrabbit said:

Cosmos is pretty good, but I feel they skip a lot of details for the sake of brevity.

You should also check out 'Did God Create the Universe' with Stephen Hawking and also 'Particle Fever', both on Netflix.

I might.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#9 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@Aljosa23: He did include creationist parts. He just only really brought it up when he wanted to explain how stupid it was. Most of te show was discussing how religion almost ruined science as we know it today, multiple times.

That said Neil is also a man of science. I am certain that if the existence of a god could be scientifically proven Neil would be talking about it.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 branketra
@prawephet said:

@Aljosa23: He did include creationist parts. He just only really brought it up when he wanted to explain how stupid it was. Most of te show was discussing how religion almost ruined science as we know it today, multiple times.

That said Neil is also a man of science. I am certain that if the existence of a god could be scientifically proven Neil would be talking about it.

I wonder if calling an idea that still is considered valid by many stupid is the right term. He seemed to be saying the people who were against Galileo's predecessor were ignorant and afraid. I am at episode three, so I could be wrong.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I thought it was funny how week after week in rural podunk America the show's broadcasting would be mysteriously interrupted at various points when anything was addressed that offended their predominant right wing evangelical sensibilities.

Master_Live

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By Master_Live
Member since 2004 • 20510 Posts

I will procure it soon enough.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I will admit I only saw maybe half the series. The story I found most fascinating were the one or two episodes that talked about Clair Patterson, first in his work in determining the age of the Earth. The second bit I found interesting was his study on lead contamination in the environment and the health impacts on people and the hazards of leaded gasoline and lead use in big industry. What was more fascinating was his research was funded to with the exact opposite objective, he was getting corporate agenda sponsorship from the chemical industry to come up who wanted results favorable to their industry with no concern for the truth, and he risked his career to speak the truth and fought for 20 years to make an impact.

One thing I will say is I've been a cosmology enthusiast for years since I got hooked on the stuff the science channel would air. To be fair though, nothing I saw on cosmos was really new as far as cosmology goes. As far as cosmology video media goes it's pretty redundant in many ways between different content covering the same stuff just told a different way. Science writing like the books you'll see at Barnes and Nobles are for the most part pretty redundant as well, same story just told a different way. It makes it rather difficult to find more insightful material and it's kind of demoralizing in the process. Same books, different title and author, something about the big bang, some basic stuff about subatomic particles, some basics about quantum mechanics, always end with something about the LHC on its journey to discover the Higgs boson, maybe something substanceless about string theory hypothesis... and the whole time talking to the reader like they're children. There are some books in popular science publishing that are more insightful, but aren't accessible by requiring a higher undergraduate level of education in the field or graduate level of understanding to be of any use. The books I find most insightful are anything that comes from Dover publishing, but like I said just depends on the subject, some of it are kind of informative to anybody, other times for undergraduates, and other times for graduate students. And much of their material is dated, written decades ago and haven't really been updated since. There's a severe lack of material for people in between. I guess people can go back to school if they wanted, but who has that time or money.

Where I thought the new Cosmos differed from many other cosmology focused shows was it's focus on the achievements in people in science, and their adversity against the status quo. It's almost reflective with the current barriers to social and scientific and technological progress we see today, being bogged down in pervasive anti-intellectualism we see from today's conservative religious zealots. And, in some ways it was subtle, and in others rather heavy handed. But, this is how I felt the show stood out. That, and it's wider syndication on a number of different channels and networks.