Really need to vent about "traffic roundabouts"

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Zoomer30 (4349 posts) -

Just had a near collision with a horn honking lunatic in a roundabout in Kansas. Here are the rules of how a sane person drives this insane traffic device:

1. Left lane: You can continue straight which means you leave the roundabout, or you continue around to the next "exit" or you can basically do a u turn and end up back on the road you were on.

2. Right lane: Choices are more limited :You can either take the very next right or continue straight, you CANNOT go all the way around.

The idiot we almost ran into was wrong on two counts:

1. He did not yield for a car already in the roundabout, so he was up beside us.

2. His only choice at that point is to take the next right, and you cant keep going around, you must stay in your lane.

3. Honked like a moron even though he was in the wrong as we continued on and cut him off

Clearly a device designed by a British bodyshop to increase business.

#2 Posted by Zoomer30 (4349 posts) -

think I miss spoke. The right entering in the right lane, you must leave at the next right. Left lane can continue on the RA or go straight

#3 Posted by Nibroc420 (13567 posts) -

No-one signals, or yields at the new one they built nearby.
It's quite stressful.

#4 Edited by thegerg (15246 posts) -

Who are you quoting?

#5 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

I had someone honk the horn at me because I gave a child the right-away to cross a busy intersection.

Can't believe people can't put themselves in a child position when it comes to crossing a busy intersection. I always stop traffic for babies.

#6 Posted by Crunchy_Nuts (2749 posts) -

You know what Britain also does better than the USA? Driver training, that's what.

#7 Posted by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

You know what Britain also does better than the USA? Driver training, that's what.

Yeah, but they suck in everything else. Everything is expensive outside of medical care.

#8 Posted by foxhound_fox (88384 posts) -

Seems more like a rant about stupid people.

#9 Posted by airshocker (29695 posts) -

Nothing infuriates me more than traffic violations. Too many people get killed or injured because somebody was driving erratically.

On the other hand, nothing is more satisfying than when I can revoke someone's license on the spot because they've gone over their points.

#10 Posted by jaqulle999 (2897 posts) -

I completely agree. I rather just have a traffic signal or have a four way stop intersection if traffic is minimal. Where I live those circles cannot work due to the huge amount of traffic let alone the stupidity of drivers in them. The one in my town caused awful traffic jams until it was finally turned into an overpass.

#11 Edited by airshocker (29695 posts) -

@Fightingfan said:

I had someone honk the horn at me because I gave a child the right-away to cross a busy intersection.

Can't believe people can't put themselves in a child position when it comes to crossing a busy intersection. I always stop traffic for babies.

Ever think he probably didn't see the child crossing? And it's right OF way. Not right-away.

#12 Posted by leviathan91 (7763 posts) -

From what I understand and read, round-a-bouts are more efficient than traffic lights so yeah...

Sucks though but you'll get your asshole driver here and there.

#13 Edited by Fightingfan (38011 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@Fightingfan said:

Ever think he probably didn't see the child crossing? And it's right OF way. Not right-away.

No, this is in a school zone/area - you gotta be a complete dum-dum to not put 1-an-1.

#14 Posted by gamerguru100 (10616 posts) -

I don't like roundabouts either. I'd rather have a traffic light or a four way stop. I get a little nervous every time I approach and go through a roundabout.

#15 Edited by MakeMeaSammitch (3897 posts) -

@Crunchy_Nuts said:

agree with this. There are so many people on the road that don't belong there.