indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

9 easily, no wonder people used to call him king of pop (R.I.P).

BAD, BEAT IT, BILLIE JEAN,YOU ROCK MY WORLD.

Rate MJ discography fellas :)

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178838 Posts

Pop therefore 1.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

since I grew up in the era of the Jackson 5 and MJ's solo career Im going to say as a musical genius he's untouchable..AND since MOST artist agree,and MOST people sample him in some way shape or form,..I would say as a whole..Everything MJ is gold..He is the KING OF POP for a reason.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 LJS9502_basic

@VanDammFan said:

since I grew up in the era of the Jackson 5 and MJ's solo career Im going to say as a musical genius he's untouchable..AND since MOST artist agree,and MOST people sample him in some way shape or form,..I would say as a whole..Everything MJ is gold..He is the KING OF POP for a reason.

Yeah his buds gave him that title....

Avatar image for deactivated-5d693385560c3
deactivated-5d693385560c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5d693385560c3
Member since 2012 • 666 Posts

2 or 3, I guess. Never was a fan. He's way overrated in my opinion.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LJS9502_basic

@Stranger_36 said:

2 or 3, I guess. Never was a fan. He's way overrated in my opinion.

Thank you.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I liked his songs for a long time, after a while I got bored of the songs because they played it for like a month non stop on every radio channel here. Made me puke a bit.

But I liked it years ago.. now I would give it a 6?

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

eh. I didn't listen to much, but from what I've heard: 4. It's meh pop. Catchy I guess, that's why lots of people who don't have strong opinions about music like it. It's why pop is pop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9  Edited By deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

He had some catchy songs and almost everybody has heard something from him at a time or another, but I never really saw the appeal of him music in general.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 AFBrat77
Member since 2004 • 26848 Posts

8, but I'm including Jackson Five

Dancing Machine

The Love You Save

Never Can Say Goodbye

Nearly everything from his best album "Off the Wall"

Much from "Thriller"

some good stuff later

Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts

9 for me. Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad are great. The ones after that aren't bad but they're not as good.

@LJS9502_basic said:

@VanDammFan said:

So we're completely discrediting over 250M records sold. It's just something his friends say.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#12 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Prince is a hell of a lot better/10

Seriously, Micheal Jackson, while a good craftsman of pop songs (at one point anyway) and an exciting performer, has little diversity to his catalog and none of his albums have any real depth to them; in fact, I wouldn't rank any of his albums as being among the best pop music has to offer, though I'll grant that he is a good singles artist. I mean, Thriller sounds good, but there's no cohesive vision or atmosphere and it's not really conducive to repeated listenings. IMO, you might as well just listen to the singles on a greatest hits collection, which to me, is not the sign of a great album.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By GreySeal9
@VanDammFan said:

Posts like this are why I think MJ fans are the most obnoxious out there. They have no grip on reality.

You have no evidence that most artists agree that MJ is a musical genius. Does he even play any instruments?

Most artists don't sample MJ. I'd love to see some evidence that proves me wrong.

Saying everything he does is gold is just being a mindless Stan. No artist/band hits it out of the park all the time or always makes great music, especially not MJ. Are you really going to tell me that all that treacly shmaltz about lost children and his childhood and what not is gold?

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AFBrat77

@GreySeal9 said:

Seriously, Micheal Jackson, while a good craftsman of pop songs (at one point anyway) and an exciting performer, has little diversity to his catalog and none of his albums have any real depth to them; in fact, I wouldn't rank any of his albums as being among the best pop music has to offer, though I'll grant that he is a good singles artist. I mean, Thriller sounds good, but there's no cohesive vision or atmosphere and it's not really conducive to repeated listenings. IMO, you might as well just listen to the singles on a greatest hits collection, which to me, is not the sign of a great album.

"Off the Wall" was his best album IMO

I agree with you that Prince was better, but not much better.

MJ's catalog is 8/10, Prince is 8.5/10, at least how I see it.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By GreySeal9

@AFBrat77 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

I will agree that Off The Wall is really consistent and filled with good tunes. Well, except for Girlfriend, which I think was originally a McCartney song.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

@GreySeal9 said:
@VanDammFan said:

Posts like this are why I think MJ fans are the most obnoxious out there. They have no grip on reality.

You have no evidence that most artists agree that MJ is a musical genius. Does he even play any instruments?

Most artists don't sample MJ. I'd love to see some evidence that proves me wrong.

Saying everything he does is gold is just being a mindless Stan. No artist/band hits it out of the park all the time or always makes great music, especially not MJ. Are you really going to tell me that all that treacly shmaltz about lost children and his childhood and what not is gold?

I would say go to google and research..you'll see lots of interviews with celebs that will tell you of his influence all day long. I dont need to waste my time..Im not just a fan..I know genius when I hear it..and see it..and YES he does play instruments..not only does he play them..he also is a part of EVERY moment in his music..of his shows..of everything..he was and always will be the greatest..its ok if you dont agree..Younger people have only been introduced to MJ since the media buried him alive..MOST people know nothing of good music now days..AND good music dont have to be deep and full of lyrics you have to smoke weed to understand..so dont get that confused..I ALSO know that Prince is a musical genius as others have mentioned..HE IS BRILLIANT..along with a few select artist from the 90s and 2ks..its a narrow list..AGAIN not trying to change anyones mind..Just go back,research,listen,pay attention..

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LJS9502_basic

@Senor_Kami said:

9 for me. Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad are great. The ones after that aren't bad but they're not as good.

@LJS9502_basic said:

@VanDammFan said:

So we're completely discrediting over 250M records sold. It's just something his friends say.

Reading comprehension FTL...it's how he came by the name. Duh....

supa_badman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#18 supa_badman
Member since 2008 • 16714 Posts

he's definitely a littler overrated but ****, off the wall and some songs off thriller are FLAWLESS

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#19 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Ten out of ten. It is very, very good stuff.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@AFBrat77 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Wait, if MJ and Prince are under 9, who gets a 9-10? Don't tell me some metal rock band.

TheFlush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22 TheFlush
Member since 2002 • 5965 Posts

I still think "Off the Wall" is his greatest album ever! After that he never reached that level again imo. Though I'll give him a 7 for his oeuvre.

Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

20/10.

There will never be another Michael Jackson music wise.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 PSP107

I did some Googling.

1. Got To Be There (1972)

2. Ben (1972)

3. Music & Me (1973)

4. Forever, Michael (1975)

5. Off The Wall (1979)

6. Thriller (1982)

7. Bad (1987)

8. Dangerous (1991)

9. HIStory: Past, Present, and Future, Book I (1995)

10. Blood on the Dancefloor: HIStory in the Mix (1997)

11. Invincible (2001)

12. Michael (2010) -A posthumous album that consists of 10 previously unreleased tracks.

Who had listen to every solo album?

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GreySeal9

@VanDammFan said:

@GreySeal9 said:
@VanDammFan said:

I would say go to google and research..you'll see lots of interviews with celebs that will tell you of his influence all day long. I dont need to waste my time..Im not just a fan..I know genius when I hear it..and see it..and YES he does play instruments..not only does he play them..he also is a part of EVERY moment in his music..of his shows..of everything..he was and always will be the greatest..its ok if you dont agree..Younger people have only been introduced to MJ since the media buried him alive..MOST people know nothing of good music now days..AND good music dont have to be deep and full of lyrics you have to smoke weed to understand..so dont get that confused..I ALSO know that Prince is a musical genius as others have mentioned..HE IS BRILLIANT..along with a few select artist from the 90s and 2ks..its a narrow list..AGAIN not trying to change anyones mind..Just go back,research,listen,pay attention..

I did not say that he was not influential. He clearly was. What I said is that you have no evidence that "most artists agree he's a musical genius." Influential/=/music genius. Plus, only pop and R&B artists were really influenced by him in any meaningful way and pop/R&B artists are but a portion of all the artists out there.

And while MJ is a great performer, that does not mean he is a musical genius. A musical genius would actually be able to compose all parts of a song. Like most pop stars who have a hand in their own songs, MJ's mostly wrote wrote top-line melody, which I give him credit for as his melodies are memorable, but a musical genius's talents composition would not be limited to top-line melody.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By PSP107

@GreySeal9: And while MJ is a great performer, that does mean he is a musical genius. A musical genius would actually be able to compose all parts of a song.

Can you going into detail of "all parts of a song"

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 GreySeal9

@PSP107 said:

@GreySeal9: And while MJ is a great performer, that does mean he is a musical genius. A musical genius would actually be able to compose all parts of a song.

What I mean is that a musical genius would be able to write the instrumental parts and the vocal parts.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 PSP107

@GreySeal9 said:

@PSP107 said:

What I mean is that a musical genius would be able to write the instrumental parts and the vocal parts.

I'm glad we're on the same page of composing. However, it is noted that Michael Jackson did some composing. Being around Motown during the early years did pay off.

The Song "Beat It" production credit:

Performance:

• Michael Jackson – vocals, drum case beater
  • Paul Jackson, Jr.– guitar
  • Steve Lukather – guitar, bass guitar
  • Eddie Van Halen – guitar solo
  • Steve Porcaro – synthesizer, synthesizer programming
  • Greg Phillinganes – rhodes piano, synthesizer
  • Bill Wolfer – keyboards
  • Tom Bahler – synclavier
  • Jeff Porcaro – drums
Production:
  • Michael Jackson – writing, composition, co-production, rhythm and vocal arrangement
  • Quincy Jones – production, rhythm arrangement
  • Greg Smith – synergy
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

@PSP107 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

@PSP107 said:

I'm glad we're on the same page of composing. However, it is noted that Michael Jackson did some composing. Being around Motown during the early years did pay off.

The Song "Beat It" production credit:

Performance:

• Michael Jackson – vocals, drum case beater
  • Paul Jackson, Jr.– guitar
  • Steve Lukather – guitar, bass guitar
  • Eddie Van Halen – guitar solo
  • Steve Porcaro – synthesizer, synthesizer programming
  • Greg Phillinganes – rhodes piano, synthesizer
  • Bill Wolfer – keyboards
  • Tom Bahler – synclavier
  • Jeff Porcaro – drums
Production:
  • Michael Jackson – writing, composition, co-production, rhythm and vocal arrangement
  • Quincy Jones – production, rhythm arrangement
  • Greg Smith – synergy

Well, yeah, I'm not saying he had no hand in the composition at all (after all, I consider vocal melody writing a type of composition). He's just not that much of a musician and there's nothing wrong with that. He was great at what he did. But nobody but a crazy Stan would equate what he did with musical genius.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

8. King of Pop, tough haters.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 PSP107

@GreySeal9:

When him and brothers left Motown, they had more creative control. Motown was considered holding them back as they were getting older to sing bubble gum songs. Michael Jackson is just not a singer/dancer, it seems like he had all around game.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By AFBrat77

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Wait, if MJ and Prince are under 9, who gets a 9-10? Don't tell me some metal rock band.

Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, and Bob Dylan for starters.

The Rolling Stones do not (8/10 from me), because they had too many filler albums. Their 4 albums from late 1968 - mid 1972 however, are as good as anything any other group has ever done: Those albums are:

Beggars Banquet (12/68)

Let it Bleed (12/69)

Sticky Fingers (04/71)

Exile on Main Street (05/72)

absolute classics! And the 2 big singles from that time span also belong with these albums (Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women)

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PSP107

@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

The Rolling Stones do not (8/10 from me), because they had too many filler albums. Their 4 albums from late 1968 - mid 1972 however, are as good as anything any other group has ever done: Those albums are:

Beggars Banquet (12/68)

Let it Bleed (12/69)

Sticky Fingers (04/71)

absolute classics! And the 2 big singles from that time span also belong with these albums (Jumping Jack Flash, Honky Tonk Women)

You got to be kidding me? Everybody knows music created by blacks is far superior and therefore it appeals to everybody.

Jackson 5> Beatles I'm pretty sure MJ> Zeppelin and Dylan.

I guess to be fair, I'm not acquainted with songs of Beatles, Zeppelin, Dylan and the Stones.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Pop therefore 1.

Wow, that's a pretty ignorant thing to say.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I grew up listening to his music he was someone I looked up to.

Avatar image for TheWalkingGhost
TheWalkingGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheWalkingGhost
Member since 2012 • 6092 Posts

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Pop therefore 1.

Because not liking pop is ignorant.....

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

1/10 basically because it was pop music

The Jackson 5 stuff was 0/10 because it was kids singing pop music

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 LJS9502_basic

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Pop therefore 1.

No. I am familiar with pop therefore not ignorant. And it rates a 1. The world doesn't have to agree with you.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

Guys you all got shitty taste in music,CURE is the BEST.

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic

@indzman said:

Guys you all got shitty taste in music,CURE is the BEST.

This is true.....but sarcasm is blasphemy.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 deactivated-5a9b3f32ef4e9
Member since 2009 • 7779 Posts

2/10

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Pop therefore 1.

No. I am familiar with pop therefore not ignorant. And it rates a 1. The world doesn't have to agree with you.

Wow, I never knew that criticism was that easy. The next time a big shooting game comes out, Gamespot can say, "it's a shooter, so it's a 4." Movie critics can all say, "it's an action movie, so it gets 1 star."

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 LJS9502_basic

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

@MrGeezer said:

@LJS9502_basic said:

Pop therefore 1.

Wow, I never knew that criticism was that easy. The next time a big shooting game comes out, Gamespot can say, "it's a shooter, so it's a 4." Movie critics can all say, "it's an action movie, so it gets 1 star."

Don't get your panties in a bunch. He asked us to rate MJ. I did. Your disagreement isn't going to change my opinion. However, if you want me to review his music...it's simple. It's catchy...it appeals to the lowest common denominator and as such sold....or he did for a brief period. Even he dropped back after the Thriller era. Probably due to offering nothing new and the lowest common denominator moving on to something fresh. There is nothing inherently interesting in pop music. It's disposable. But that is the nature...it's meant to generate income for the business side of the industry. It's pushed on the public for that reason as well. It's all about the Benjamins. Now if you like that style of music....enjoy it. That does NOT however mean everyone has to like it.

As for shooters if you asked me to rate them....I'd probably give a low score to them. I don't like the genre. However, if you wanted a review I'm sure I could tell you that Halo was a well made game with replay value.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 PSP107

@thehig1 said:

1/10 basically because it was pop music

The Jackson 5 stuff was 0/10 because it was kids singing pop music

lol at heavy metal/grunge fans.

AFBrat77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 AFBrat77

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@PSP107 said:

@AFBrat77 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Beggars Banquet (12/68)

Let it Bleed (12/69)

Sticky Fingers (04/71)

You got to be kidding me? Everybody knows music created by blacks is far superior and therefore it appeals to everybody.

Jackson 5> Beatles I'm pretty sure MJ> Zeppelin and Dylan.

I guess to be fair, I'm not acquainted with songs of Beatles, Zeppelin, Dylan and the Stones.

haha, not sure if you were making a post in jest or what, but please know everyone involved before making such a poor answer.

Google The Beatles, Led zeppelin, Bob Dylan, and the Rolling Stones and learn.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#46  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@indzman said:

9 easily, no wonder people used to call him king of pop (R.I.P).

BAD, BEAT IT, BILLIE JEAN,YOU ROCK MY WORLD.

Rate MJ discography fellas :)

best musical genius that ever lived. When it comes to this sort of music of course, I know they call him the king of pop, but a lot of his songs are much more than pop. Knowing that most of his music and lyrics is written by himself, you can only stand in awe when you hear something like this.

Loading Video...

I post this one too, because i just a can't choose... btw tc 10/10 of course

Loading Video...

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LJS9502_basic

@evildead6789: Actually Eddie Van Halen made that song.....

Laihendi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Laihendi
Member since 2009 • 5872 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

Pop therefore 1.

Yeah, basically

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#49 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@LJS9502_basic said:

first sentence on wiki on the song beat it

"Beat It" is a song written and performed by American recording artist Michael Jackson

try again lol

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GreySeal9

@LJS9502_basic said:

He was only responsible for the guitar solo.