Rant about NRA's statements

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Citan_Uzuki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Citan_Uzuki
Member since 2002 • 1865 Posts

Haven't posted in these forum in a long time but had to comment on this. The NRA held a conference after the tragedy last week and essentiallyblamed the video game industry saying it was evil and warping kids minds with violent videogames. They also said that "the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun" and suggested that armed officers should be placed in schools. I will agree with their statment about better diagnosis and support for mental illness the one point of logic in their whole conference.It's absoultely rediculous to blame videogames for these types of tragedies for 2 reasons.

1) Violent videogames are not supposed to be sold to children if a child has access to excessively violent materal such as certain videogames its a parenting issue which in todays politically correct overly sensitive society is not addressed because "it's not right to judge other people" the fact is people still judge other people but are afraid to share their thoughts because of harsh reactions from self-righteous people who will critize them for being insensitive and ignorant.

2) Violent videogames are sold all over the world yet the United States is the only place where these sort of mass shootings happen way more often because of the ease of access to guns and ammo. Sure there are rules to keep guns out of the hands of mantally Ill and criminals but once you are approved to own a gun its very easy to acquire multiple guns and excessive amounts of ammo which leads to a high number of guns with little regulation which opens up possiblilty for theft, loss, or access for people who shouldn't have access. An interesting couple stats I've seen thrown around only 1 in 3 people own guns in America yet there are over 300 million guns in america enough for 1 for every citizen. Thats the legally accessed ones that doesn't count smuggled and illegal weapons

The membership of the NRA is full of responsible gun owners who understand the dangers of guns, the ledership of the NRA however has been taken over by the Gun Lobby for a 10 billion industry they are afraid of losing money and are looking for any reason not to take some responsibilty for these kind of acts. Any other industry that has a product that causes the death of people would have recalls or face lawsuits. The gun industry points to the movie and videogame industry and tries to shift the blame, but you can't kill anybody with a videogame or movie. They also hide behind the 2nd amendmend, something that was written almost 250 years ago before the invention of semi-automatic and automatic weapons. It was also written when America was a vast sparsely populated country that faced all sorts of wild animals and before formal military and police forces were formed.

I am not an American but I'm not suggesting the removal of the 2nd Amendment or that people can't own guns. I am merely saying that the NRAs stance that more guns is the answer is somehow illogical and biased towards the gun industry and that the excessive amount of guns in the United States isn't tied at all to the higher number of these mass shootings is totally Illogical.

They are totally against any sort of conversation about any reasonable control of guns in America such as banning automatic weapons or requiring training and licensing before you can purchase semi-automatic rifles or even limiting the number of guns you can own or how much ammunition you can purchase. any one of those ideas would help and would still allow people to own guns. The NRA conference today shows their leadership speak for the gun industry and do not care about responsible gun use merely making sure the indsutry doesn't lose money.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#2 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

HAH,the NRA guy referenced Splatterhouse in his statement (just saw it on CNN right after I got in this thread). Man, I don't think that game's actually been used to demonize video games up until this point.

Anywho, I think we should put armed guards in every school, bar the windows, and put every student in their special fortified study room to prevent this from happening again. I think we already got places like that so we could just move them there.

Avatar image for CreasianDevaili
CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 CreasianDevaili
Member since 2005 • 4429 Posts
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

HAH,the NRA guy referenced Splatterhouse in his statement (just saw it on CNN right after I got in this thread). Man, I don't think that game's actually been used to demonize video games up until this point.

Anywho, I think we should put armed guards in every school, bar the windows, and put every student in their special fortified study room to prevent this from happening again. I think we already got places like that so we could just move them there.

You mean like the time out rooms? Yes. I think we should stuff as many of those little bastards in those rooms for their own protection. Also I am not even sure if I am being serious or joking.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

CreasianDevaili

You mean like the time out rooms? Yes. I think we should stuff as many of those little bastards in those rooms for their own protection. Also I am not even sure if I am being serious or joking.

No, just one room with a metal door and a bed.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Actually that isn't too far off from the time out rooms here in Ohio. One way in. Many with a one way mirror. Was some big bich fest in the capitol newspaper about it earlier this year. Sure they could make the doors metal.. and electrified.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] You mean like the time out rooms? Yes. I think we should stuff as many of those little bastards in those rooms for their own protection. Also I am not even sure if I am being serious or joking.CreasianDevaili

Actually that isn't too far off from the time out rooms here in Ohio. One way in. Many with a one way mirror. Was some big bich fest in the capitol newspaper about it earlier this year. Sure they could make the doors metal.. and electrified.

Don't limit their use to time-outs. Those should be the classrooms.

Just get a TV in there with the teacher broadcasting a lesson while the guards bring them food around noon.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#8 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

NRA are fools. They don't know a damn thing about video games. That's the only thing can say and then referred to MK which doesn't even have guns expect for Stryker. The NRA should be blaming themselves.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

I just saw the NRA press conference online and I agree with him. While the violent video games aren't directly the influence, parents who allow their children to play these Mature rated games are to blame. He mentions there are armed security protecting court houses, the president, sports arenas, but not our kids. We need trained armed guards in our schools.

LegitGamer3212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 LegitGamer3212
Member since 2008 • 1619 Posts

NRA are fools. They don't know a damn thing about video games. That's the only thing can say and then referred to MK which doesn't even have guns expect for Stryker. The NRA should be blaming themselves.

HaloPimp978

all it takes is 1 character such as stryker to influence a child to act like the character.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Just get a TV in there with the teacher broadcasting a lesson while the guards bring them food around noon.

Why not just build schools that only have sub levels below ground? Just a single common rooftop service entrance/exit and a fat security guard with bad gas to guard it? Everything is easily solved.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts

HaloPimp978

Ah yes they should take responsibility for scumbags who lose their minds and steal guns that arent theirs legally and go and shoot people. Ah I see the logic in that.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] Actually that isn't too far off from the time out rooms here in Ohio. One way in. Many with a one way mirror. Was some big bich fest in the capitol newspaper about it earlier this year. Sure they could make the doors metal.. and electrified.CreasianDevaili

Why not just build schools that only have sub levels below ground? Just a single common rooftop service entrance/exit and a fat security guard with bad gas to guard it? Everything is easily solved.

Silliness aside, that sounds like a great idea.

CreasianDevaili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CreasianDevaili
[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Till you remove that avatar silliness can never be set aside Mr. Druggie.

But yes it solves many potential issues. Bombs drop? Already down there. Fire? Just lock the door, put down some flowers, and call it a monument.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 HaloPimp978

I just saw the NRA press conference online and I agree with him. While the violent video games aren't directly the influence, parents who allow their children to play these Mature rated games are to blame. He mentions there are armed security protecting court houses, the president, sports arenas, but not our kids. We need trained armed guards in our schools.

LegitGamer3212

I agree with you on all points. It is the parents responbility. It's so unfair the gaming industry has to take this heat when games like COD, Halo, GTA, Far Cry,etc are met for 17+. The games are rated M for a reason. It really pisses me off the news media doesn't even mention the ESRB at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e9044657a310
deactivated-5e9044657a310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 deactivated-5e9044657a310
Member since 2005 • 8136 Posts
Guns don't kill people, Video games Do.
HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 HaloPimp978

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

xscrapzx

Ah yes they should take responsibility for scumbags who lose their minds steal guns arent their illegally and go and shoot people. Ah I see the logical in that.

Sorry but there resolution doesn't make any sense at all. There were armed guards at the Columbine and VT shootings and did that fix the problem at all? No didn't.

dercoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 dercoo
Member since 2006 • 12555 Posts

Guns don't kill people, Video games Do.Nuck81

In korea they actually do...

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

xscrapzx

Ah yes they should take responsibility for scumbags who lose their minds and steal guns that arent theirs legally and go and shoot people. Ah I see the logic in that.

Almost all mass shootings are carried out by guns acquired legally.
xscrapzx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 xscrapzx
Member since 2007 • 6636 Posts
[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

I agree with you on all points. It is the parents responbility. It's so unfair the gaming industry has to take this heat when games like COD, Halo, GTA, Far Cry,etc are met for 17+. The games are rated M for a reason. It really pisses me off the news media doesn't even mention the ESRB at all.

Pretty similar to guns huh? Its unfair the gun industry has to take heat when their are laws put in place on who and when someone can have a gun in their possession.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="CreasianDevaili"] Why not just build schools that only have sub levels below ground? Just a single common rooftop service entrance/exit and a fat security guard with bad gas to guard it? Everything is easily solved.CreasianDevaili

Till you remove that avatar silliness can never be set aside Mr. Druggie.

But yes it solves many potential issues. Bombs drop? Already down there. Fire? Just lock the door, put down some flowers, and call it a monument.

Efficiency at its finest. The House Budgetary Committee would be proud.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HaloPimp978

[QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

[QUOTE="LegitGamer3212"]

xscrapzx

Pretty similar to guns huh? Its unfair the gun industry has to take heat when their are laws put in place on who and when someone can have a gun in their possession.

I think its not fair they have to take heat either that's why both sides have to work something out. So something like Sandy Hook, VT or Columbine doesn't happen again.

DJ419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 DJ419
Member since 2005 • 1016 Posts

[QUOTE="xscrapzx"][QUOTE="HaloPimp978"]

HaloPimp978

I think its not fair they have to take either that's why both sides have to work something out. So something like Sandy Hook, VT or Columbine doesn't happen again.

You will never prevent massacres so long as Human Beings exist.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 DevilMightCry
Member since 2007 • 3554 Posts
The issue boils down to whether or not you should have the right to own a firearms and defend yourself. I do. I lived through this tyranny of a military opression and killings in former Yugoslavia.
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 -Sun_Tzu-
Member since 2007 • 17384 Posts
The issue boils down to whether or not you should have the right to own a firearms and defend yourself. I do. I lived through this tyranny of a military opression and killings in former Yugoslavia. DevilMightCry
No that is not what this issue boils down to. No one is taking away the right to own firearms.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 deactivated-5e9044657a310

[QUOTE="Nuck81"]Guns don't kill people, Video games Do.dercoo

In korea they actually do...

When a kid brings a video game to school and kills 20 classmates with it, we'll talk.
whipassmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#28 whipassmt
Member since 2007 • 15375 Posts

I don't really see the point of the TC's reference to recalls. Items are recalled when they cause harm due to a defect in the item itself (such as faulty breaks on a car or little shards of glass in a pill), the guns used in these shootings cause harm not because they are defective, but because the person handling the gun is defective.

superfluidity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 superfluidity
Member since 2010 • 2163 Posts

Every classroom needs one.

DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]The issue boils down to whether or not you should have the right to own a firearms and defend yourself. I do. I lived through this tyranny of a military opression and killings in former Yugoslavia. -Sun_Tzu-
No that is not what this issue boils down to. No one is taking away the right to own firearms.

"Taking guns away" is not the issue.... but rather "not allowing guns" is the issue. How are the very strict anti gun laws working out in Chicago?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"]The issue boils down to whether or not you should have the right to own a firearms and defend yourself. I do. I lived through this tyranny of a military opression and killings in former Yugoslavia. DevilMightCry

"Taking guns away" is not the issue.... but rather "not allowing guns" is the issue. How are the very strict anti gun laws working out in Chicago?

You are allowed to have guns in Chicago.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] No that is not what this issue boils down to. No one is taking away the right to own firearms.

Don't be a fool. Up until recently Chicago had banned firearms. It took the. Supreme Court to overrule it. And also: http://times247.com/articles/gun-law-utopia-192-nov-shootings-in-chicago
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 -Sun_Tzu-
[QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] "Taking guns away" is not the issue.... but rather "not allowing guns" is the issue. How are the very strict anti gun laws working out in Chicago?

Don't be a fool. Up until recently Chicago had banned firearms. It took the. Supreme Court to overrule it. And also: http://times247.com/articles/gun-law-utopia-192-nov-shootings-in-chicago

...As I said, you are allowed to have guns in Chicago.
DevilMightCry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 DevilMightCry
[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"][QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"] You are allowed to have guns in Chicago.

Thanks for the obvious Sherlock....so you can use a firearm to defend yourself in...lets say a park? Church? College? Yes?
-Sun_Tzu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Sun_Tzu-

[QUOTE="-Sun_Tzu-"][QUOTE="DevilMightCry"] Don't be a fool. Up until recently Chicago had banned firearms. It took the. Supreme Court to overrule it. And also: http://times247.com/articles/gun-law-utopia-192-nov-shootings-in-chicagoDevilMightCry

Thanks for the obvious Sherlock....so you can use a firearm to defend yourself in...lets say a park? Church? College? Yes?

Actually the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals ruled just this month that the state-wide ban on concealed carry in Illinois is unconstitutional. Moreover, the gun laws in Chicago and Illinois are a huge outlier, and most of them are being (successfully) challenged in court. No one of significance is suggesting emulating those laws at the federal level, so I'm not sure what significance they have in this discussion.