• 154 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by BossPerson (9366 posts) -

@GazaAli said:

@BossPerson said:

@GrayF0X786 said:

this thread is hilarious

typical Islam haters are still here it seems :D

how's the weather in aleppo?

It smells of imminent caliphate I'm sure

and beard

#152 Posted by airshocker (28195 posts) -

@alim298 said:

I can see that people are complete ignoramuses when it comes to Islam:

"I have a large breakfast, a small lunch and a small dinner, in which I eat whatever fruits and snacks I can get my hands on that fit into how many calories I need a day. The fact still remains that fasting is extremely unhealthy."

So you've been living a pretty unhealthy life because with the exception of your small lunch (which I'm pretty sure one can completely avoid) you've been doing kiiiiiiiiiind of the same thing Muslims do.

Ever heard of something called "sahari?" It's basically that large breakfast except we have it a few hours sooner (4 a.m or 5a.m) and at iftar (dinner) it is advised to eat fruit and low calorie food.

My guess is that you are suffering from various conditions and syndromes then.

Also people better give that "It's good for everyone in the world" "It's bad for everyone in the world" a break. I'm dazzled by the people who say they have medical degrees but are not aware of this very simple fact. A lot of western medicines do not have a proper effect on middle easterns and vice versa. Are you telling me that a Muslim and a non-Muslim live exactly alike eat exactly alike dress exactly alike etc. that this kind of comparison is a valid one?

Okay first off, if you're going to quote me you need to actually put my name in there so it throws a notification up. If you don't do that I can't promise I'll even see your message.

Secondly, this has nothing to do with Islam. If you actually read my posts you'll understand that.

Finally, if you really believe that medicine works in profoundly different ways depending on where you live in the world I would suggest you go back to living in your cave.

#153 Posted by airshocker (28195 posts) -

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

@airshocker said:

@GazaAli said:

So the subject of nutrition and food consumption and its effects on the human body isn't as simple as "food is good for you". There is a virtually infinite number of nutritional regiments out there. Some people eat three times a day, some others settle for 2 and some people fast during the day etc etc. Some of these regiments are conducive to good health while others are not. This is basically why there is an entire academic and research field for nutritional studies. How is that hard to understand is beyond me.

No where has anybody said it's as simple as that.

You have just tried to purport that eating isn't good for you while fasting is wonderful. That's not the case.

I have just "tried" to purport that eating isn't as simple as you seem to believe and fasting is a nutritional regiment that is potentially conducive to health benefits. That is the case.

I will once again reiterate, you haven't provided one actual proof or semi intellectual/rational statement to support your claims in this topic.

Because it's not debatable that eating is good for you. I'm not going to argue with someone that can't even admit that. Sorry, I have no urge to beat my head against the wall trying to talk with someone like that.

Stop being a fourth grader whose mom would punish him because he didn't eat lunch. Tell us, explain it, why fasting is bad? give us a scientific proof apart from your degrees and stuff which we don't even know exist. Just explain it, will ya?

Stop being a moron and actually read people's posts. I already explained why fasting is bad many, many posts ago.

Also, I never said I had any degrees so I'm not sure if you're being stupid or just confusing me with somebody else.

#154 Edited by alim298 (1007 posts) -

@lostrib: uh, here you are.

link -- link

link -- link

link -- link

link

From the articles:

  • Physiologic response to medications. A patient’s race or ethnic background influences how medications are metabolized. Common genetic polymorphisms (multiple forms of enzymes used for drug metabolism) affect the metabolism of many important medications. For some polymorphisms, the proportion of rapid metabolizers and slow metabolizers varies based on ethnicity. For example, only 3% to 5% of whites are poor metabolizers of drugs affected by mephenytoin polymorphism (e.g., diazepam, imipramine), but 15% to 20% of Chinese and Japanese are poor metabolizes of mephenytoin and related drugs. Clinically, there may be an increase or decrease in the expected drug effect, so dosage adjustments may be necessary. 2-4

For example, Asians and Eskimos need lower doses of anxiolytics than white patients. Asians, Indians, and Pakistanis require lower doses of lithium and antipsychotic drugs. African Americans’ symptoms generally improve faster after taking neuroleptics and anxiolytics. Hispanics may require lower doses of antidepressants than whites. Since various drugs within the same class are often cleared by different metabolic pathways, ethnic differences in the metabolism of specific drugs may differ within a class.2-4

  • The two key components in the pathway between the administration of a drug and the clinical response it elicits are the dose-concentration (pharmacokinetic) and/or concentration-response (pharmacodynamic) relationships of the drug. Both these components are subject to genetic influences that account for a substantial fraction of inter-individual variability in drug response. Arising from inter-ethnic differences in the frequency of the variant alleles that exert these genetic influences, it is intuitive to anticipate inter-ethnic differences in pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and dose-response relationships of a drug. These frequently translate into differences in drug response.
  • Racial and ethnic differences in response to drug therapy are a well-known phenomenon.
  • Today in medicine, it is common that physicians often use a trial and error strategy until they find the treatment therapy that is most effective for their patient.

You're pardoned.

@airshocker: I never said where you live has an effect on your health or something. I said how you live has an effect. Now based on what is written above it seems that YOU are the one who needs to go live in a cave. I don't blame you. With Indian, Russian , Chinese and middle-eastern doctors and engineers comprising a great segment of U.S scientists one could only expect such uninformed assumptions from an average American.

#155 Edited by lostrib (31456 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@lostrib: uh, here you are.

link -- link

link -- link

link -- link

link

From the articles:

  • Physiologic response to medications. A patient’s race or ethnic background influences how medications are metabolized. Common genetic polymorphisms (multiple forms of enzymes used for drug metabolism) affect the metabolism of many important medications. For some polymorphisms, the proportion of rapid metabolizers and slow metabolizers varies based on ethnicity. For example, only 3% to 5% of whites are poor metabolizers of drugs affected by mephenytoin polymorphism (e.g., diazepam, imipramine), but 15% to 20% of Chinese and Japanese are poor metabolizes of mephenytoin and related drugs. Clinically, there may be an increase or decrease in the expected drug effect, so dosage adjustments may be necessary. 2-4

For example, Asians and Eskimos need lower doses of anxiolytics than white patients. Asians, Indians, and Pakistanis require lower doses of lithium and antipsychotic drugs. African Americans’ symptoms generally improve faster after taking neuroleptics and anxiolytics. Hispanics may require lower doses of antidepressants than whites. Since various drugs within the same class are often cleared by different metabolic pathways, ethnic differences in the metabolism of specific drugs may differ within a class.2-4

  • The two key components in the pathway between the administration of a drug and the clinical response it elicits are the dose-concentration (pharmacokinetic) and/or concentration-response (pharmacodynamic) relationships of the drug. Both these components are subject to genetic influences that account for a substantial fraction of inter-individual variability in drug response. Arising from inter-ethnic differences in the frequency of the variant alleles that exert these genetic influences, it is intuitive to anticipate inter-ethnic differences in pharmacokinetics, pharmacodynamics and dose-response relationships of a drug. These frequently translate into differences in drug response.
  • Racial and ethnic differences in response to drug therapy are a well-known phenomenon.
  • Today in medicine, it is common that physicians often use a trial and error strategy until they find the treatment therapy that is most effective for their patient.

You're pardoned.

@airshocker: I never said where you live has an effect on your health or something. I said how you live has an effect. Now based on what is written above it seems that YOU are the one who needs to go live in a cave. I don't blame you. With Indian, Russian , Chinese and middle-eastern doctors and engineers comprising a great segment of U.S scientists one could only expect such uninformed assumptions from an average American.

Wait, but your giant quote here is about ethnic and racial differences not the effects of how someone lives.

Your articles just show that yes genetic differences can alter pharmacokinetics, not that "A lot of western medicines do not have proper effect on middle easterns"

#156 Posted by alim298 (1007 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Wait, but your giant quote here is about ethnic and racial differences not the effects of how someone lives.

Your articles just show that yes genetic differences can alter pharmacokinetics, not that "A lot of western medicines do not have proper effect on middle easterns"

First of all I didn't say a lot of western medicines do not have proper effect on westerns who live like middle easterns. My statement on western medicine was simply an example of how medicine as a science work. That there are no clear boundaries and we can't say that a medicine will 100% work on someone without considering his background be it his ethnic background or just the place he lives and how he lives. Now you didn't ask me for sources on "How environment and living habits affect the effectiveness of drugs" did you? I'll let you yourself do the googling if that's the case.

Now about me saying "A lot of western medicines... " I agree that's a bit exaggerated (or maybe a lot).

#157 Posted by lostrib (31456 posts) -

@alim298 said:

@lostrib said:

Wait, but your giant quote here is about ethnic and racial differences not the effects of how someone lives.

Your articles just show that yes genetic differences can alter pharmacokinetics, not that "A lot of western medicines do not have proper effect on middle easterns"

First of all I didn't say a lot of western medicines do not have proper effect on westerns who live like middle easterns.

...i never said you did

#158 Posted by airshocker (28195 posts) -

@alim298 said:
@airshocker: I never said where you live has an effect on your health or something. I said how you live has an effect. Now based on what is written above it seems that YOU are the one who needs to go live in a cave. I don't blame you. With Indian, Russian , Chinese and middle-eastern doctors and engineers comprising a great segment of U.S scientists one could only expect such uninformed assumptions from an average American.

And you just proved my point for me. Thanks.