"The decade of war is over"

• 102 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by michaelP4 (16680 posts) -
Somehow I think the President will regret saying that, especially when our Prime Minister today has told us the exact opposite, in relation to the Algerian Hostage crisis and conflict in Mali.
#2 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
it needs to be, for once. I'm 18 years old and most of my life was spent in an atmosphere of war.
#3 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

I'm really sick of being involved in foreign conflicts, especially since we haven't been doing much good around the world.

#4 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

I'm really sick of being involved in foreign conflicts, especially since we haven't been doing much good around the world.

jim_shorts
Um what? We fought for Korea's freedom. Now we are fighting to help out the Middle East. We are the Freedom Fighters. We probably help out more than any other country.
#5 Posted by jimkabrhel (15420 posts) -

Ground war perhaps, but we're already in a new "War of the Drones".

#6 Posted by Rich3232 (2754 posts) -
[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

Capitan_Kid
Um what? We fought for Korea's freedom. Now we are fighting to help out the Middle East. We are the Freedom Fighters. We probably help out more than any other country.

pls lrn2basichistory
#7 Posted by Kevlar101 (6210 posts) -
I have never really lived during a time of peace. im 13, never not been a war since i was born.
#8 Posted by Legend002 (7220 posts) -

People probably misinterpreted what he said. Haven't been following, so I can't really give my opinion.

#9 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

Rich3232

pls lrn2basichistory

Ok. How many other countries have gone to the aid of another in the past 100 years? Lets see....... US came to the aid of France and the UK during WW1. US was lagging but eventually came to the aid of the Allied Powers during WW2. US fought to help South Korea from its communist neighbor US fought to help South Vietnam from it's communist neighbor. US is in the Middle East right now kicking ass and trying to stop terrorists! US helped clean up Japan after WW2 because we were being dicks. US helped out Japan during their Tsunami incident US helped out Haiti during it's earthquake incident. Our country does some good stuff. It's arrogant to say we do the most but please enlighten me on what anybody else has notably done.
#10 Posted by Rockman999 (7232 posts) -

jim_shorts

Bro as long as we keep giving these charity cases around the world our money, their conflicts are our conflicts.

#11 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

Rockman999

Bro as long as we keep giving these charity cases around the world our money, their conflicts are our conflicts.

We are the good guys. Were supposed to help out the world!
#12 Posted by Mafiree (3704 posts) -

I'm having flashbacks to a "Mission Accomplished" banner on an aircraft carrier......

Edit:

Looks like he actually said "the decade of war is ending", which to me is vastly different than what the title says.......

#13 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

David Cameron has declared The war on Terror-should be interesting.

#14 Posted by CycleOfViolence (3314 posts) -

I, unfortunately, do not share the President's optimism.

#15 Posted by chaplainDMK (6842 posts) -
Decade of war? Humanity is locked in practically perpetual warfare since days of the Greek City-States... There probably wasn't a day in the past 3000 years without a war being fought somewhere on this planet. If anything this past decades have been quite peacefull since no really major war was fought since the Second World War
#16 Posted by worlock77 (22547 posts) -

Yes, the current decade of war is ending. A new decade of war will begin following a brief intermission.

#17 Posted by sexyweapons (5302 posts) -

Yes, the current decade of war is ending. A new decade of war will begin following a brief intermission.

worlock77
I imagine we'll have the War On Terror all over again in Africa.
#18 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.
#19 Posted by Squeets (8184 posts) -

[QUOTE="jim_shorts"]

Capitan_Kid

While I agree that we should continue to exist throughout global affairs, diplomatically and militarily... The Korea comment is pretty silly.

That argument would be solid if we stopped at the North South Border, but we didn't. We kept going north until we reached China which then involved China. And it took a level headed President back then to prevent war with China, because McArthur wanted to keep going right over that border into China, even going so far as to request the use of tactical nuclear weapons to counter China's human wave attacks.

#20 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.

eh....Libya
#21 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.

eh....Libya

What about Libya?
#22 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="BossPerson"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.

eh....Libya

What about Libya?

America helped them.... although your original post was right in general.
#23 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="BossPerson"]eh....Libya BossPerson
What about Libya?

America helped them.... although your original post was right in general.

Don't get me wrong, the U.S does help to an extent, but then it fvcks everything up and leave. IMHO, the U.S does good some good, the sad part is its usually accompanied by so much interests and controlling tendencies.
#24 Posted by Capitan_Kid (6584 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.

Um what? Arabs should be thankful of the help the US gives.
#25 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.

Such as?
#26 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

[QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]On behalf of the Arab and Muslim world, I thank the U.S.A and its generous people for bringing us peace, prosperity, democracy and tolerance. We will not miss you.GazaAli

Such as?

How about keeping Pakistan from financial disaster? How about keeping Israel on a leash so they don't blow the Gaza strip back into the stone age? Without US backing Pakistan would be run by fundamentalists (maybe it already is) and Palestinians would be something you read about in a history book

#27 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -

[QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Capitan_Kid"] Um what? Arabs should be thankful of the help the US gives. Yusuke420

Such as?

How about keeping Pakistan from financial disaster? How about keeping Israel on a leash so they don't blow the Gaza strip back into the stone age? Without US backing Pakistan would be run by fundamentalists (maybe it already is) and Palestinians would be something you read about in a history book

haha that's a funny post. The U.S has a major interest in Pakistan and its no secret. As for Palestinians, if it wasn't for the U.S in the first place we really wouldn't have a problem with it. Try again.
#29 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="GazaAli"] Such as?BossPerson

thats an interesting way of looking at things you may be right though. But then again, netanyahu does what he pleases for the most part (at least from an international perspective. It doesnt look like his actions are too affected by what the US says or does.

Not really that all interesting. Israel did not blow up Gaza because it does not want to look bad which is understandable. Hasbara PR and all that.
#30 Posted by pie-junior (2846 posts) -
this seems like a topic I would post in.
#31 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

Israel knows that relations have becomed strained over recent history, so they won't do anything too rash because they are unsure it we'll come running (at least right away, might be fun to let them twist in the wind for a minute). As for interests in Pakistan, of course we have interest in the region, but that doesn't change the fact that without US foriegn aid, the country would be run by the goat farmers taking up arms in the mountains.

#32 Posted by pie-junior (2846 posts) -

Israel knows that relations have becomed strained over recent history, so they won't do anything too rash because they are unsure it we'll come running (at least right away, might be fun to let them twist in the wind for a minute). As for interests in Pakistan, of course we have interest in the region, but that does change the fact that without US foriegn aid, the country would be run by the goat farmers taking up arms in the mountains.

Yusuke420
why hasn't Israel killed all the palestinians off in the time period up until the 70's?
#33 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -

Israel knows that relations have becomed strained over recent history, so they won't do anything too rash because they are unsure it we'll come running (at least right away, might be fun to let them twist in the wind for a minute). As for interests in Pakistan, of course we have interest in the region, but that does change the fact that without US foriegn aid, the country would be run by the goat farmers taking up arms in the mountains.

Yusuke420

No big difference to be honest.

Still we wouldn't have much of problems with Israel if it was not for the U.S to begin with.

#34 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

pie-junior
why hasn't Israel killed all the palestinians off in the time period up until the 70's?

Bad public relations man.
#35 Posted by pie-junior (2846 posts) -
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

GazaAli

among other things. I suspect israel doesn't kill off the palestinians for the same reasons any country refrains from killing any group of people.
#36 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
As for Palestinians, if it wasn't for the U.S in the first place we really wouldn't have a problem with it. Try again.GazaAli
hahahahaha....
#37 Posted by BossPerson (9475 posts) -
is captain_kid for real?
#38 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="pie-junior"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="pie-junior"] why hasn't Israel killed all the palestinians off in the time period up until the 70's?

among other things. I suspect israel doesn't kill off the palestinians for the same reasons any country refrains from killing any group of people.

pretty much. And the geography of Israel places it in a delicate situation. For Arabs, they can digest the idea of few hundreds Palestinians killed by Israel. If however Israel does something too extreme, it would be hard to predict the reactions of the Arab/Islamic world.
#39 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="GazaAli"]As for Palestinians, if it wasn't for the U.S in the first place we really wouldn't have a problem with it. Try again.Jebus213
hahahahaha....

Let me guess, 15?
#40 Posted by Jebus213 (8893 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="GazaAli"]As for Palestinians, if it wasn't for the U.S in the first place we really wouldn't have a problem with it. Try again.GazaAli
hahahahaha....

Let me guess, 15?

#41 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -
[QUOTE="Jebus213"][QUOTE="GazaAli"][QUOTE="Jebus213"] hahahahaha....

Let me guess, 15?

#42 Posted by the_bi99man (11047 posts) -

it needs to be, for once. I'm 18 years old and most of my life was spent in an atmosphere of war. Rich3232

don't count on it. The rest of your life is going to be spent in an atmosphere of war. There's way too much money to made.

#44 Posted by sonicare (53485 posts) -

Well, if the president wants to help end decades of war, he can start by closing lots of our military bases and ending the proliferation of drone strikes.

#45 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -

Well, if the president wants to help end decades of war, he can start by closing lots of our military bases and ending the proliferation of drone strikes.

sonicare
What drone strikes? You mean those that drop democracyz all over the planet?
#46 Posted by Yusuke420 (2793 posts) -

sonicare

Yeah isolationism has worked so well in the past:roll:. Also the majority of drones are used for covert information.

#47 Posted by sonicare (53485 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Yusuke420

Yeah isolationism has worked so well in the past:roll:. Also the majority of drones are used for covert information.

That's not isolationism. But if you prefer to have drones killing lots of civilians in the hopes that they will also get a few of the "bad guys", then I pity that thought. We should be a country of laws and rights. It can be complicated, but I dont like my country peforming executions on random people without a trial. I also dont like this thought process that collateral damage is ok.
#48 Posted by sonicare (53485 posts) -
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

GazaAli
What drone strikes? You mean those that drop democracyz all over the planet?

No. The ones that drop bombs on people. The ones that stand as a stain on all the values that my country was supposed to represent. Those ones. lol.
#49 Posted by CycleOfViolence (3314 posts) -

The President must be trying to get another Nobel Peace Prize.

#50 Posted by GazaAli (23004 posts) -

[QUOTE="sonicare"]

Yusuke420

Isolationism is working pretty well for so many damn countries.