"Objective" who here is sick of it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 darthzew
Member since 2005 • 1213 Posts

I've been seeing and hearing the word "objective" a lot more lately. What's odd is, most people are wrong about its definition. I'm not trying to be a grammar gestapo here, I'm just noticing a horrible little trend. Come to think of it, the first place I really saw the word "objective" in force was on House. Maybe that has something to do with it. Here's the definition, in case you were wondering. Oh and to be awesome, I tried to present this analysis as objectively as possible.

adj.

1. Of or having to do with a material object.
  2. Having actual existence or reality.
    1. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic. See synonyms at fair1.
    2. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.
  3. Medicine. Indicating a symptom or condition perceived as a sign of disease by someone other than the person affected.
  4. Grammar.
    1. Of, relating to, or being the case of a noun or pronoun that serves as the object of a verb.
    2. Of or relating to a noun or pronoun used in this case.
n.
  1. Something that actually exists.
  2. Something worked toward or striven for; a goal. See synonyms at intention.
  3. Grammar.
    1. The objective case.
    2. A noun or pronoun in the objective case.
  4. The lens or lens system in a microscope or other optical instrument that first receives light rays from the object and forms the image. Also called object glass, objective lens; Also called object lens
Just thought I'd point that out and maybe dissuade some people from overrusing the word so much. It's like "Irony" back in the day...
freek666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 freek666
Member since 2007 • 22312 Posts
I more have a problem of morons saying "objection!" during a debate. Last time someone said that I got up, walked across to them, hit them over the head and told them to shut up. My team still won :P
darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 darthzew

I more have a problem of morons saying "objection!" during a debate. Last time someone said that I got up, walked across to them, hit them over the head and told them to shut up. My team still won :Pfreek666

I chuckled out loud. My dad, sitting across the room from me, gave me a weird look. Thanks! :D

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
What was your objective in doing this? :P
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts
I rarely see it used......:|
darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 darthzew

I rarely see it used......:|LJS9502_basic

Really? Not just Gamespot, but everywhere. It was used a lot in the comments of the recent PressSpotting article. Look in places where people criticize other people.

DivergeUnify

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DivergeUnify
Member since 2007 • 15150 Posts
I seriously doubt someone here didn't know that...
Termite551

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 Termite551
Member since 2006 • 1125 Posts
I actually haven't heard or seen the word objective once today before this.
Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts
show an example of it being used wrongly
Banestyrelsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10 Banestyrelsen
Member since 2004 • 894 Posts

I've been seeing and hearing the word "objective" a lot more lately. What's odd is, most people are wrong about its definition. I'm not trying to be a grammar gestapo here, I'm just noticing a horrible little trend. Come to think of it, the first place I really saw the word "objective" in force was on House. Maybe that has something to do with it. Here's the definition, in case you were wondering. Oh and to be awesome, I tried to present this analysis as objectively as possible.

adj.

1. Of or having to do with a material object.
  2. Having actual existence or reality.
    1. Uninfluenced by emotions or personal prejudices: an objective critic. See synonyms at fair1.
    2. Based on observable phenomena; presented factually: an objective appraisal.
  3. Medicine. Indicating a symptom or condition perceived as a sign of disease by someone other than the person affected.
  4. Grammar.
    1. Of, relating to, or being the case of a noun or pronoun that serves as the object of a verb.
    2. Of or relating to a noun or pronoun used in this case.
n.
  1. Something that actually exists.
  2. Something worked toward or striven for; a goal. See synonyms at intention.
  3. Grammar.
    1. The objective case.
    2. A noun or pronoun in the objective case.
  4. The lens or lens system in a microscope or other optical instrument that first receives light rays from the object and forms the image. Also called object glass, objective lens; Also called object lens

Just thought I'd point that out and maybe dissuade some people from overrusing the word so much. It's like "Irony" back in the day...darthzew

This is exactly what most people understand by "objective". I wasn't aware there was any confusion. Who are these people you are talking about?

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 darthzew

show an example of it being used wronglyCrucifier

Alright. The first thing that comes to mind was on a recent Zero Punctuation where Yahtzee was told that from a "purely objective" standpoint, SSBB is awesome. Yahtzee pointed out it was wrong. Or I was once told in a thread about the differences between the 360 controller and Dualshock 3 that I wasn't analyzing the "objective" differences between the two. He referred to the blue-tooth difference and the rechargeable batteries as being "objective" differences.

MissRiotmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#12 MissRiotmaker
Member since 2007 • 8593 Posts
Objection! This thread is lacking awesomeness.
LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178858 Posts

[QUOTE="Crucifier"]show an example of it being used wronglydarthzew

Alright. The first thing that comes to mind was on a recent Zero Punctuation where Yahtzee was told that from a "purely objective" standpoint, SSBB is awesome. Yahtzee pointed out it was wrong. Or I was once told in a thread about the differences between the 360 controller and Dualshock 3 that I wasn't analyzing the "objective" differences between the two. He referred to the blue-tooth difference and the rechargeable batteries as being "objective" differences.

You did notice the part of your definition about objective appraisal?

Crucifier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Crucifier
Member since 2002 • 7195 Posts

[QUOTE="Crucifier"]show an example of it being used wronglydarthzew

the ZP review was probably just being sarcastic, meaning that what he says is true and cant be disproved like an opinion. as for hte controller, the other guy probably said that because he thought you were analyzing stuff that could be interpreted differently by different people IE: you were analyzing the shape and layout of the controller while he wanted to talk about the actual features.
darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darthzew
[QUOTE="darthzew"]

[QUOTE="Crucifier"]show an example of it being used wronglyCrucifier

the ZP review was probably just being sarcastic, meaning that what he says is true and cant be disproved like an opinion. as for hte controller, the other guy probably said that because he thought you were analyzing stuff that could be interpreted differently by different people IE: you were analyzing the shape and layout of the controller while he wanted to talk about the actual features.

As for Yahtzee, the guy was actually wrong. If you want to see it, it's his episode called "Mailbad Showdown".

The goal of my thread about the 360 and PS3 controller was to find every last difference between the 360 and PS3 controllers in place in a pros and cons list without any bias whatsoever. For instance, motion sensing was placed in both pros and cons because of a difference of opinion. Things like "it's prettier" were left out because that's opinion. But he specifically said "objective difference", which is wrong. My list was plenty objective but hadn't yet included the blue-tooth difference yet because it was an ongoing list. Either way, it's no more or less objectice than an original design or a poorly made directional pad.

L_burna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 L_burna
Member since 2005 • 414 Posts

while we're at it, shouldn't your sig read: sadism is incurable?

I don't know the grammar-specific reasons behind it, but I'm pretty sure that sadistic is incurable isn't a proper sentence

darthzew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 darthzew

while we're at it, shouldn't your sig read: sadism is incurable?

I don't know the grammar-specific reasons behind it, but I'm pretty sure that sadistic is incurable isn't a proper sentence

L_burna

You're half right. I should have put quotations around "sadistic" but I didn't like the way it looked. So, the quotation marks are imaginary.

Bauers-Twin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Bauers-Twin
Member since 2007 • 14150 Posts

I more have a problem of morons saying "objection!" during a debate. Last time someone said that I got up, walked across to them, hit them over the head and told them to shut up. My team still won :Pfreek666

hahha its from that game. Phoenix Wright or something. Yeah its annoying.

Avatar image for 194197844077667059316682358889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 194197844077667059316682358889
Member since 2003 • 49173 Posts
Objective, as in from a viewpoint characterized by, you know, objectivity, is certainly a perfectly valid word usage.