"Gun Control" that isnt directed towards handguns will not do anything

• 115 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 AdamPA1006
Member since 2004 • 6422 Posts

Murder VictimsCircumstances and Weapons Used or

Cause of Death: 2000 to 2009 Handuns account for the vast majority of gun deaths. I have only heard people trying to introduce legislation vs rifles, which account for about 3% of gun deaths per year. Hands kill more than rifles and shotguns combined per year.
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

Handguns definitely are the bigger concern. They are pretty much flat out banned here. 

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Rich3232
Member since 2012 • 2628 Posts
Agreed (oddly enough). Other than basic restrictions on guns, states/fed/w/e shold fvck off.
dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts
education is key
Avatar image for deactivated-5b78379493e12
deactivated-5b78379493e12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5 deactivated-5b78379493e12
Member since 2005 • 15625 Posts

education is keydave123321

Yup, and I agree with Adam too, for once. All this assault ban crap won't do anything significant except make a certain segment of the population feel better.

Avatar image for deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
deactivated-6127ced9bcba0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-6127ced9bcba0
Member since 2006 • 31700 Posts

Gun control directed towards legal handgun owners won't really do anything either. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained firearms.

IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

I am from connecticut, who just introduced this intense gun control law.

But yeah, hand guns definitely are an issue. I think background checks and centralized registries on crazies will help stop the things like Newtown (and yes, I know that his mom owned the guns and my suggestions wouldn't have changed what happened), but that they need to do soemthing about these cheap handguns that any thug can grab for some street crime.

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Rich3232

I am from connecticut, who just introduced this intense gun control law.

But yeah, hand guns definitely are an issue. I think background checks and centralized registries on crazies will help stop the things like Newtown (and yes, I know that his mom owned the guns and my suggestions wouldn't have changed what happened), but that they need to do soemthing about these cheap handguns that any thug can grab for some street crime.

IronBeaver
Also from Ct, and their ideas are largely knee-jerk reactions that won't do anything. Actually, all of their ideas are knee-jerk reactions.
Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Yeah.  There's all the hype about assault weapons, but they really arent the main cause of gun deaths.  It's handguns by far.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 AdamPA1006

Gun control directed towards legal handgun owners won't really do anything either. The vast majority of gun crimes are committed with illegally obtained firearms.

airshocker
This is the problem. 80-90% of guns used in crimes are obtained illegally. More laws, by definition, will not change that. 10/10 criminals break laws and dont care about gun laws. America is infested with guns. If a criminal has a gun, I want one or a better one to defend myself with.
gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

I don't get why politicians are going after assault rifles when handguns are used to kill a lot more people. Maybe assault rifles became more popular among criminals, but handguns still kill more people than assault rifles, SMGs, and shotguns combined. Not to mention gun suicides outnumber gun homicides, yet no one says a thing about that. 

Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Rich3232

I don't get why politicians are going after assault rifles when handguns are used to kill a lot more people. Maybe assault rifles became more popular among criminals, but handguns still kill more people than assault rifles, SMGs, and shotguns combined. Not to mention gun suicides outnumber gun homicides, yet no one says a thing about that. 

gamerguru100
It's just perception.
Audacitron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Audacitron
Member since 2012 • 991 Posts

I don't oppose 'assault weapon bans' and magazine restrictions, but clearly gun legislation needs to be primarily focused on keeping  guns of all kinds from slipping onto the black market.

Gun control should be about making it harder for criminals to get guns.

It's never going to be a simple thing to stop the more determined criminals from getting hold of guns, but if there's the right mix of hoops and hurdles, it'll keep more guns out of the hands of average lazy criminals.  The majority.  The guys just looking to make a quick buck.   

If it inconveniences legal gun owners, then boo hoo.  That's just the price you pay.  If you're going to have great power, you're going to have to demonstrate some responsibility.

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

The US/state governments could just legalize drugs or most illegal activities such as prostitution or gambling and regulate them to insure not only that there is a market for it but also there is a safe way to purchase such items or engage in such services. Also continue to improve and reform our education system as well as any social services that are corrupt or inefficient. In the meantime, perhaps there should be a temporary tightening on purchasing handguns (not a ban, more like a "may issue" type of law) until there is a decrease in crime.

Obviously there is always going to be a crime rate and some days we'll see the worst of the worst such as Aurora or Sandy Hook but we can make at least decrease the rate of crime by being reasonable in our goals instead of giving into our fears or whatever seems "popular."

wis3boi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 wis3boi
Member since 2005 • 32507 Posts

this subject will never get anywhere with these things in mind:

- the inability for many politicians and some citizens to educate themselves on weapons and their details (See: "assault weapon" and mag size limits)

- the huge massive stockpile of guns and ammo in the US already

leviathan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 leviathan91
Member since 2007 • 7763 Posts

gamerguru100

You mean assault weapons. :P

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 AdamPA1006

- the inability for many politicians and some citizens to educate themselves on weapons and their details (See: "assault weapon" and mag size limits)

wis3boi
this is true. Thats why I dont see any solution but to go repo guns.
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

Ya, a lot of people forget hand guns can be semi automatic, are easy to conceal, and extremly lethal in the right hands. That being said, I'm for them remaining legal to own.

chrisrooR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 chrisrooR
Member since 2007 • 9027 Posts
Agreed. Where I live handguns have always been banned entirely, and there are less than a 1 murder here every year on average.
Rich3232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Rich3232
Guys. let's be careful here with the whole correlation-causation thing.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 surrealnumber5
Member since 2008 • 23044 Posts
education is keydave123321
poverty is key, but they go hand and hand, but even that pales in comparison to the vague concept of "happiness" or "well being" and other such fluff. but yea, addressing the motives and decision making process is infinitely better than "addressing" inanimate objects.
IronBeaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 IronBeaver
Member since 2009 • 1986 Posts

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

AdamPA1006

I know the problem with the assault weapons and aesthetics, but whats wrong with getting rid of big mags?

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 140

#23 THE_DRUGGIE
Member since 2006 • 25107 Posts

[QUOTE="dave123321"]education is keysurrealnumber5
poverty is key, but they go hand and hand, but even that pales in comparison to the vague concept of "happiness" or "well being" and other such fluff. but yea, addressing the motives and decision making process is infinitely better than "addressing" inanimate objects.

On that note, there should be a little something done to address the process people go through to utilize an inatimate object. Some kind of license thing, y'know? I need one to catch fish and drive a big hunk o' metal around, so I think I should have to go through a licensing process to use a handheld device that shoots metal fragments at 10,000 feet per second.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="dave123321"]education is keyTHE_DRUGGIE

On that note, there should be a little something done to address the process people go through to utilize an inatimate object. Some kind of license thing, y'know? I need one to catch fish and drive a big hunk o' metal around, so I think I should have to go through a licensing process to use a handheld device that shoots metal fragments at 10,000 feet per second.

i am sorry you feel you need those things in order to use those things, i do not share your emotions on the subject of my utility.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] poverty is key, but they go hand and hand, but even that pales in comparison to the vague concept of "happiness" or "well being" and other such fluff. but yea, addressing the motives and decision making process is infinitely better than "addressing" inanimate objects. surrealnumber5

i am sorry you feel you need those things in order to use those things, i do not share your emotions on the subject of my utility.

I think it would teach me how to use it better since there's a kind of test that can go along with it.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"][QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

THE_DRUGGIE

I think it would teach me how to use it better since there's a kind of test that can go along with it.

i see you have never got a fishing or hunting license, there is no teaching just paper work and payment and i dont know about the DMV where you live but the MVA might spend all of 5 mins with you in the car, when i took the test many moons ago your time maxed out at 10 mins to go through a little course. is that your Litmus test for use? to me it just sounds like a payment scheme, you can argue that the payments go directly to apt related causes, and i will not argue that, but there is little to no skill or safety checks involved.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i am sorry you feel you need those things in order to use those things, i do not share your emotions on the subject of my utility. surrealnumber5

i see you have never got a fishing or hunting license, there is no teaching just paper work and payment and i dont know about the DMV where you live but the MVA might spend all of 5 mins with you in the car, when i took the test many moons ago your time maxed out at 10 mins to go through a little course. is that your Litmus test for use? to me it just sounds like a payment scheme, you can argue that the payments go directly to apt related causes, and i will not argue that, but there is little to no skill or safety checks involved.

I was talking more about driving than fishing. I bought a fishing license back in '06 and didn't have to do anything other than pay the dude.

ALSO, it would be a cool idea to give a gun accuracy test and give the person with the highest score that month a vintage Single Action Army.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 surrealnumber5

THE_DRUGGIE

I was talking more about driving than fishing. I bought a fishing license back in '06 and didn't have to do anything other than pay the dude.

ALSO, it would be a cool idea to give a gun accuracy test and give the person with the highest score that month a vintage Single Action Army.

in the 60's and prior shooting was, in many high schools, a class. it may have been a white thing..... that was phased out because of that whole phasing out of segregation, but a connection like that takes a serious tin foil hat and assumed mastermind alex jones level conspiracy with race being the motive.( i dont know what triggered the phasing out of guns classes in schools. ) that is unless the reptilian eugenics spider kings did it all in a plot to disarm the middle class so they could implement the final invasion from the planet x on 24/24/24 because that is the Illuminati number..... and on their special calendar with 36 months, the real one, it happens to be two days from now. so lock and load people, and dont forget to buy my survival food, because i am the only one you can really trust. totally surreal guys.
thebest31406

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 thebest31406
Member since 2004 • 3775 Posts
Agree 100 percent.
THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] i see you have never got a fishing or hunting license, there is no teaching just paper work and payment and i dont know about the DMV where you live but the MVA might spend all of 5 mins with you in the car, when i took the test many moons ago your time maxed out at 10 mins to go through a little course. is that your Litmus test for use? to me it just sounds like a payment scheme, you can argue that the payments go directly to apt related causes, and i will not argue that, but there is little to no skill or safety checks involved. surrealnumber5

in the 60's and prior shooting was, in many high schools, a class. it may have been a white thing..... that was phased out because of that whole phasing out of segregation, but a connection like that takes a serious tin foil hat and assumed mastermind alex jones level conspiracy with race being the motive.( i dont know what triggered the phasing out of guns classes in schools. ) that is unless the reptilian eugenics spider kings did it all in a plot to disarm the middle class so they could implement the final invasion from the planet x on 24/24/24 because that is the Illuminati number..... and on their special calendar with 36 months, the real one, it happens to be two days from now. so lock and load people, and dont forget to buy my survival food, because i am the only one you can really trust. totally surreal guys.

Are...you okay?

The__Kraken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 The__Kraken
Member since 2012 • 858 Posts

For some reason, I can't help but think that if control of handguns is increased, then the criminals that normally use them will continue to use them, and the other people that may commit a violent crime may use other weapons, like a shotgun, a rifle, a pen, a pencil, their fists... etc. Perhaps I am completely mistaken.

surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 surrealnumber5

THE_DRUGGIE

Are...you okay?

i am fine, just having a spot of fun. i have not passed 30, i am still within the appropriate age range to do so. :)

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#33 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Big black weapons are a lot scarier and easier to be banned because less people own them and they look more lethal. A lot of people own handguns in this country. Going after them would get you absolutely nowhere.

It's funny. A lot of the mass shootings that happen in this nation happen with little .22 caliber semi-automatic pistol with 10-12 round magazines. 

Caliber and how many rounds your gun carries doesn't mean squat really. Most people can't hit jack squat after 50 feet even with an extremely accurate rifle. When they are in a rampage accuracy goes to hell. Even US soldiers in combat have like a 1 to 10,000 bullet hit ratio. Yes, that's 10,000 bullets for every enemy kill. At the point-blank ranges that the vast majority of shootings happen, caliber is completely irrelevant. 

Doesn't even matter how many bullets you have in your gun. In the past people just carried multiple magazines and could fire off just as many rounds as if they were carrying higher capacity magazines. 3 smaller 10 round magazines can be loaded and fired nearly as quickly as a single 30 round magazine. This is something most non-gun owners don't understand. It's not hard to reload a magazine. You lose maybe a half a second of time inbetween reloads. Fire 9 rounds, pop the mag out, pop a fresh one in, keep firing. Don't even have to recock the thing. So in the end it doesn't make any sense to ban "hich capacity" magazines. They don't increase or decrease your performance. They are just yet another thing that people believe will somehow change the outcome of a shooting. 

There is no easy solution, despite what a lot of politicians and the media is trying to convey.

THE_DRUGGIE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 THE_DRUGGIE

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="surrealnumber5"] in the 60's and prior shooting was, in many high schools, a class. it may have been a white thing..... that was phased out because of that whole phasing out of segregation, but a connection like that takes a serious tin foil hat and assumed mastermind alex jones level conspiracy with race being the motive.( i dont know what triggered the phasing out of guns classes in schools. ) that is unless the reptilian eugenics spider kings did it all in a plot to disarm the middle class so they could implement the final invasion from the planet x on 24/24/24 because that is the Illuminati number..... and on their special calendar with 36 months, the real one, it happens to be two days from now. so lock and load people, and dont forget to buy my survival food, because i am the only one you can really trust. totally surreal guys. surrealnumber5

Are...you okay?

i am fine, just having a spot of fun. i have not passed 30, i am still within the appropriate age range to do so. :)

Fun knows no age range, you silly billy.

Avatar image for MakeMeaSammitch
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 MakeMeaSammitch
Member since 2012 • 4889 Posts

airshocker

The majority of guns used to kill people are legally owned.

AdamPA1006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AdamPA1006

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

MakeMeaSammitch

Yes 50% of gun deaths in the US are suicide. Guns used in crimes are 80-90% illegal
The_Lipscomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 The_Lipscomb
Member since 2013 • 2603 Posts

I feel like the gun debate here in the U.S is going to be ongoing for decades.. and decades.. probably a century. .. lol.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

AdamPA1006

Yes 50% of gun deaths in the US are suicide. Guns used in crimes are 80-90% illegal

it's actually more like 60-70% of gun deaths are suicides.

Sounds like a pretty good reason for a blanket ban imo.

The-Apostle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 The-Apostle
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts
All regulations do is keep law-abiding citizens from stopping criminals. They have no effect other than that.
surrealnumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 surrealnumber5

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

MakeMeaSammitch

derp argument, people who want to commit suicide have unlimited avenues to do so, limiting guns wont limit the end result you are basing your argument around. the whole article is based around Intentional self-harm (suicide) (*U03,X60-X84,Y87.0) 12.4 ... ... 0.7 10.5 14.0 16.0 19.6 17.5 13.7 15.7 17.6 Intentional self-harm (suicide) by discharge of firearms (X72-X74) 6.3 ... ... 0.2 4.7 6.3 7.1 9.1 9.3 9.5 11.8 12.4 from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/deaths_2010_release.pdf
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]

[QUOTE="airshocker"]

surrealnumber5

derp argument, people who want to commit suicide have unlimited avenues to do so, limiting guns wont limit the end result you are basing your argument around. the whole article is based around Intentional self-harm (suicide) (*U03,X60-X84,Y87.0) 12.4 ... ... 0.7 10.5 14.0 16.0 19.6 17.5 13.7 15.7 17.6 Intentional self-harm (suicide) by discharge of firearms (X72-X74) 6.3 ... ... 0.2 4.7 6.3 7.1 9.1 9.3 9.5 11.8 12.4 from http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/dvs/deaths_2010_release.pdf

actually suicides tend to be impulse decisions and stopping a person for even a few minutes can have them change their mind.

For instance, before modern guns, the most popular method of suicide was gas stove. It was quick, painless, and everybody had one. As soon as those were made obsolete by other models, suicide rates dropped by 1/3 and never recovered. 

Why do you think there are suicide bars on bridges? Putting them there to delay a suicide by 30 seconds can be all it takes to stop a suicide. for example, when they put those bars on the golden gate bridge, suicide rates dropped in the city.

The thing with guns is it's fast, easy, and painless. It's basically just a thing with a button that insta kills. There's no delay. No chance for rational thinking. That's why one of the primary indicators for suicide is whether or not somebody owns a gun. Suicides by gun more than double all other deaths by gun in the U.S. combined. Reason enough for a ban.

Murderstyle75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Murderstyle75
Member since 2011 • 4412 Posts

[QUOTE="AdamPA1006"][QUOTE="wis3boi"]

IronBeaver

I know the problem with the assault weapons and aesthetics, but whats wrong with getting rid of big mags?

Because those big mags are what the constitution is really supposed to be protecting. The second ammendment was never intended for personal protection with hand guns.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

#43 Slashless
Member since 2011 • 9534 Posts

*Mental Olympics*

MakeMeaSammitch

lol

Taking the gold here buddy.

MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"] *Mental Olympics*

Slashless

lol

Taking the gold here buddy.

It's pretty straitforward.

Guess you aren't too bright.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Slashless
It's pretty straitforward.

MakeMeaSammitch
platinum
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]It's pretty straitforward.

Slashless

platinum

that a yes?

seriously, even if you disagree, it's pretty strait forward logic.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Slashless
that a yes?MakeMeaSammitch
It's whatever you want it to be buddy :) You're my favorite derputy.
MakeMeaSammitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MakeMeaSammitch

[QUOTE="MakeMeaSammitch"]that a yes?Slashless
It's whatever you want it to be buddy :) You're my favorite derputy.

it was.

Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Slashless
seriously, even if you disagree, it's pretty strait forward logic.MakeMeaSammitch
lol no it's not. You base everything on a premise that will never happen >if we ban guns, suicides will go down (Just look at Japan!) >if we ban guns there's your problem right there. Not going to happen. Political suicide.
Slashless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Slashless
hm i've noticed a lot of the anti-gun crowd uses terms like "common sense" and "straightforward" and "logical". and proceed to spout none of it. kinda weird.