Question for the Atheists

• 92 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by chrisrooR (9027 posts) -

For those of you who are rigidly atheistic, do you ever reflect on the scope of the Universe and question your views?

#2 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24991 posts) -

I usually do so when I have bad gas to distract myself from the smell.

#3 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

When I reflect on the scope of the universe it makes me understand how some people can believe in spiritual things, but it personally does not make me question my views

#4 Posted by Bane_09 (3394 posts) -

THE_DRUGGIE

but everybody likes their own brand

#5 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24991 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

Bane_09

Ha, not when I have steak and potatoes.

That would gag a maggot.

#6 Posted by Riadon2 (1598 posts) -
I don't consider my Atheism to be a big deal. Certainly not big enough to where I need to reflect on it all of the time. That said, I don't see how the size of the universe would cause me to gravitate towards a mythical being...
#7 Posted by Dark__Link (32653 posts) -
Doing so only reinforces those views.
#8 Posted by Netherscourge (16354 posts) -
I'm agnostic for the simple fact that it's impossible to prove a singular, non-preceded origin to anything. So, my "dead end" so to speak is the very, very, very beginning of all things.
#9 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

THE_DRUGGIE

Ha, not when I have stak and potatoes.

That would gag a maggot.

What is stak?

#10 Posted by Aljosa23 (26192 posts) -

I imagine any sane person would adjust their views if there's definitive proof for either.

#11 Posted by THE_DRUGGIE (24991 posts) -

[QUOTE="THE_DRUGGIE"]

[QUOTE="Bane_09"]

Pirate700

Ha, not when I have stak and potatoes.

That would gag a maggot.

What is stak?

A stakka steaks.

#12 Posted by FuggaJ (318 posts) -
I not only think about the scope of the universe, I wonder how so many can believe and adopt a view of what life is from archaic texts based on nothing.
#13 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

I not only think about the scope of the universe, I wonder how so many can believe and adopt a view of what life is from archaic texts based on nothing.FuggaJ
Believing in a god doesn't have to mean you subscribe to any texts.

#14 Posted by Jazz_Fan (29516 posts) -

I question everything to the point where it becomes so abstract I end up wanking to help remind myself that I don't really care about it.

#15 Posted by Celldrax (14836 posts) -

Yes to the former, no to the latter.

#16 Posted by auron_16 (4062 posts) -
[QUOTE="Riadon2"]I don't consider my Atheism to be a big deal. Certainly not big enough to where I need to reflect on it all of the time. That said, I don't see how the size of the universe would cause me to gravitate towards a mythical being...

The size of my member makes some women call out to a mythical being.
#17 Posted by sSubZerOo (44408 posts) -
... The universe has illustrated how little we know and the true scope of things.. If anything it only solidifies my lack of beliefs even more that if some kind of creator does exist, it will be nothing like mankind has ever imagined it to be..
#18 Posted by FuggaJ (318 posts) -

[QUOTE="FuggaJ"]I not only think about the scope of the universe, I wonder how so many can believe and adopt a view of what life is from archaic texts based on nothing.Pirate700

Believing in a god doesn't have to mean you subscribe to any texts.

Valid point, I still find it ridiculous to believe in any sort of 'creator'.
#19 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3812 posts) -
Doing so only reinforces those views.Dark__Link
#20 Posted by KiIIyou (27157 posts) -
Yeah but I got it mostly figured out now, problem is there is no prize.
#21 Posted by JohnF111 (14125 posts) -
If there's nothing, then I can understand that there can be infinite amount of it because its nothingness, how can you put a limit on something if there's none of what you're measuring. I think people invert their views of what exactly nothingness is, the universe to me is not something we're in, it's nothing we're in.
#22 Posted by wis3boi (32070 posts) -

For those of you who are rigidly atheistic, do you ever reflect on the scope of the Universe and question your views?

chrisrooR

The universe only reinforces my views

252019_10151353243405155_1980732357_n.jp

#23 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

If there's nothing, then I can understand that there can be infinite amount of it because its nothingness, how can you put a limit on something if there's none of what you're measuring. I think people invert their views of what exactly nothingness is, the universe to me is not something we're in, it's nothing we're in.JohnF111
I think where God comes in is there has to be a beginning. Whatever theory as to how the planets and stars came to be, the original matter had to be created. How was all the solid matter in the universe created...and when? Something may be able to go forever and last forever but it had to start somewhere and be created.

#24 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

chrisrooR

Do you understand physics? No? Then what can you possibly understand about the Universe?

#25 Posted by wis3boi (32070 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]If there's nothing, then I can understand that there can be infinite amount of it because its nothingness, how can you put a limit on something if there's none of what you're measuring. I think people invert their views of what exactly nothingness is, the universe to me is not something we're in, it's nothing we're in.Pirate700

I think where God comes in is there has to be a beginning. Whatever theory as to how the planets and stars came to be, the original matter had to be created. How was all the solid matter in the universe created...and when? Something may be able to go forever and last forever but it had to start somewhere and be created.

Or it can just exist forever. God answers nothing. What created god? Oh, he existed forever? Why not the universe? God moves the goalposts and solves nothing

#26 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]If there's nothing, then I can understand that there can be infinite amount of it because its nothingness, how can you put a limit on something if there's none of what you're measuring. I think people invert their views of what exactly nothingness is, the universe to me is not something we're in, it's nothing we're in.wis3boi

Or it can just exist forever. God answers nothing. What created god? Oh, he existed forever? Why not the universe? God moves the goalposts and solves nothing

Did you even read what I wrote?

#27 Posted by sSubZerOo (44408 posts) -

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]If there's nothing, then I can understand that there can be infinite amount of it because its nothingness, how can you put a limit on something if there's none of what you're measuring. I think people invert their views of what exactly nothingness is, the universe to me is not something we're in, it's nothing we're in.Pirate700

Says who? The matter could have always existed in one form or another.. If everything has a beginning why is god some how taken out of that equation? That seems awfully hypocritical..

#28 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

Pirate700

I wonder how people can possibly suggest that the Universe must have had a beginning (something cause the Big Bang) but God needn't.

You're apply one rule to one problem but not the other.

Edit: Beaten by seconds. Again.:(

#29 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]I think where God comes in is there has to be a beginning. Whatever theory as to how the planets and stars came to be, the original matter had to be created. How was all the solid matter in the universe created...and when? Something may be able to go forever and last forever but it had to start somewhere and be created.

br0kenrabbit

I wonder how people can possibly suggest that the Universe must have had a beginning (something cause the Big Bang) but God needn't.

You're apply one rule to one problem but not the other.

That's a fair point. But whether you believe in God or not, the thought of how all the solid matter in our universe cam into existence has to be puzzling.

#30 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="JohnF111"]If there's nothing, then I can understand that there can be infinite amount of it because its nothingness, how can you put a limit on something if there's none of what you're measuring. I think people invert their views of what exactly nothingness is, the universe to me is not something we're in, it's nothing we're in.sSubZerOo

Says who? The matter could have always existed in one form or another.. If everything has a beginning why is god some how taken out of that equation? That seems awfully hypocritical..

How could the matter have always existed? How can something exist that never began?

#31 Posted by sSubZerOo (44408 posts) -

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]I think where God comes in is there has to be a beginning. Whatever theory as to how the planets and stars came to be, the original matter had to be created. How was all the solid matter in the universe created...and when? Something may be able to go forever and last forever but it had to start somewhere and be created.

Pirate700

How could the matter have always existed? How can something exist that never began?

How could god exist that never began? Don't you see the problem here? You are suggesting everything has a beginning, yet contradict your self by suggesting god did not. This isn't to suggest I believe such things, I do not know my self.. But I just find the line of logic puzzling..

#32 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

sSubZerOo

How could god exist that never began? Don't you see the problem here? You are suggesting everything has a beginning, yet contradict your self by suggesting god did not.

I'm not talking about God anymore. I mean in general. I get your point on God and it's valid.

#33 Posted by JohnF111 (14125 posts) -

People assume the Big Bang was the beginning, that before that there was nothing, matter is simply energy, energy doesn't really exist, the more we look at the smaller and smaller particles of atoms we see less and less matter. Maybe one day we'll find out that the universe is just an explosion with a 100% efficiency rating that implodes then explodes constantly.
#34 Posted by Person0 (2944 posts) -

See sig.

Don't see why that would make someone religious though.

#35 Posted by sSubZerOo (44408 posts) -

[QUOTE="sSubZerOo"]

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]How could the matter have always existed? How can something exist that never began?

Pirate700

How could god exist that never began? Don't you see the problem here? You are suggesting everything has a beginning, yet contradict your self by suggesting god did not.

I'm not talking about God anymore. I mean in general. I get your point on God and it's valid.

Damn right it's valid, for the only true god is the Emperor of Mankind.
#36 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

Pirate700

The universe is full of conundrums. Singularities themselves are quite puzzling: infinite density in an infinitely small nothing (singularities don't take up little space, they take up NO space....zero). The fact that we can't comprehend it doesn't mean it's not so.

#37 Posted by wis3boi (32070 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

Pirate700

Did you even read what I wrote?

Yeah I did. The matter can have existed forever for all we know. People usually fill that in with 'God'

#38 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
The vastness of the universe and my complete resignation to it's awe-inspiring grandeur is what made me become a "rigid" atheist, as you so call it. I realized who I was in the universe and recognized my complete and utter worthlessness in it's "eyes" (so to speak). It's indifference has inspired me to make the most of what life I do get, and to pursue my purpose of finding happiness in life. Contemplating a place of such beauty and organized excellence that came about on it's own, without direction from a consciousness or intelligence, is so much more elegant than merely resorting to intellectual dishonesty and assuming, that since we "don't know", it must have happened through intervention of some "greater being". I don't know how it happened, and, if my lifetime may grant it, am willing to wait for the correct answer before assuming.
#39 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]How could the matter have always existed? How can something exist that never began?

br0kenrabbit

The universe is full of conundrums. Singularities themselves are quite puzzling: infinite density in an infinitely small nothing (singularities don't take up little space, they take up NO space....zero). The fact that we can't comprehend it doesn't mean it's not so.

Right, but do you have a theory on how something can exist that never began? I sure don't, and I'm not saying it's impossible.

#40 Posted by wis3boi (32070 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Pirate700

Right, but do you have a theory on how something can exist that never began? I sure don't, and I'm not saying it's impossible.

It's impossible to view what came before the big bang, so searching for that 'forever-ness' is futile for the forseeable future. Take for example the center of a black hole or the big bang's sigularity. The laws of physics, and the entire universe no longer apply there. The sh!t that goes on is so warped and out of sync with our puny minds, who knows what the hell the universe does.

I think it would be like if atoms or other subatmic particles had their own minds, they would be oblivious to our realm of existence. They evolved in their type/size of world, we grew in our own. I don't think we'll ever answer this question.

#41 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

Pirate700

It seems to me that both the devout and atheist then have the same problem. The answer is also the same: since we have nothing outside of this universe to compare, we can only measure what exists within our bubble.

Consider M-theory and branes...we can't even begin to postulate whether or not physics on other branes are the same as ours. If we could, then we could perhaps make some proposals. But we can't because we have no way of testing those theories.

What can be said, however, is that physics within our universe are testable, but faith in God is faith alone.

#42 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

I think it would be like if atoms or other subatmic particles had their own minds, they would be oblivious to our realm of existence. They evolved in their type/size of world, we grew in our own. I don't think we'll ever answer this question.

wis3boi

I like the 'flatworld' analogy. A being who exists in only two dimensions could never even comprehend what a sphere is, much less observe one.

#43 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]

[QUOTE="br0kenrabbit"]

br0kenrabbit

It seems to me that both the devout and atheist then have the same problem. The answer is also the same: since we have nothing outside of this universe to compare, we can only measure what exists within our bubble.

Consider M-theory and branes...we can't even begin to postulate whether or not physics on other branes are the same as ours. If we could, then we could perhaps make some proposals. But we can't because we have no way of testing those theories.

What can be said, however, is that physics within our universe are testable, but faith in God is faith alone.

Fair enough. It's definitely fun to think about though.

#44 Posted by wis3boi (32070 posts) -

[QUOTE="wis3boi"]

br0kenrabbit

I like the 'flatworld' analogy. A being who exists in only two dimensions could never even comprehend what a sphere is, much less observe one.

Basically :D

#45 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

Fair enough. It's definitely fun to think about though.

Pirate700

For the record, I don't discount the possibly of God in a general sense, I just think trying to personify God with human characteristics is doing a disservice to both God and us.

If there is a God, and if this God is cognizant, then he has a very scientific mind.

#46 Posted by pariah3 (974 posts) -

Maybe the Universe is just an illusion, like a dream or a hologram or something.

#47 Posted by Zeviander (9503 posts) -
Maybe the Universe is just an illusion, like a dream or a hologram or something.pariah3
inb4 Matrix
#48 Posted by Pirate700 (46465 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pirate700"]Fair enough. It's definitely fun to think about though.

br0kenrabbit

For the record, I don't discount the possibly of God in a general sense, I just think trying to personify God with human characteristics is doing a disservice to both God and us.

If there is a God, and if this God is cognizant, then he has a very scientific mind.

Agreed.

#49 Posted by br0kenrabbit (13589 posts) -

Maybe the Universe is just an illusion, like a dream or a hologram or something.

pariah3

Actually, the Holographic Universe theory suggests that everything only truely exists (in only 2 dimensions) on the very edges of the ever-expanding universe, and what we perceive as spacetime is just a projected hologram, in much the same way a 2D hologram appears 3D even through it isn't at all.

#50 Posted by pariah3 (974 posts) -

Actually, the Holographic Universe theory suggests that everything only truely exists (in only 2 dimensions) on the very edges of the ever-expanding universe, and what we perceive as spacetime is just a projected hologram, in much the same way a 2D hologram appears 3D even through it isn't at all.br0kenrabbit

The true nature of consciousness is still very poorly understood. What if consciousness is not only in the brain?