Question about bloodshot eyes...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Darthric (1301 posts) -

Lately I have been getting bloodshot eyes pretty bad, and I really don't like them. The thing is I have noticed a pattern, its dependant on the game. For example, i can play SWAT 4(and im pretty sure it uses a modified version of the source engine) for hours with no problems at all. But if I play Half Life 2 (same engine pretty much) my eyes go all bloodshot after only maybe half an hour? Same game visuals but completely different results. I have noticed in the past that only certain games cause them.

So my question is, how often, and what causes your eyes to get bloodshot and am I the only one or gets bloodshot eyes, only on certain games?

And is there anything (besides the obvious turn down brightness contrast) I can do about it?

It really puts me off playing, I really hate it. I don't think its anything to so with my eyes either, recently went to the opticians and they said they were perfect.

Thanks....

#2 Posted by sovereign_22 (1190 posts) -
eyedrops do wonders (trust me im a smoker)
#3 Posted by lycrof (6393 posts) -
Well start by making your font bigger. If you are playing in the dark, try putting on another light. If it happens in the day, then see if eye drops help.
#4 Posted by Cube_of_MooN (9286 posts) -

Well start by making your font bigger..lycrof

Yes, that could very well help matters.

#5 Posted by Witchking111111 (7094 posts) -
Stop playing video games.
#6 Posted by Darthric (1301 posts) -

Well start by making your font bigger. If you are playing in the dark, try putting on another light. If it happens in the day, then see if eye drops help.lycrof

lol, sorry, i had to screw around to post it, something to do with HTML, its fixed now...

#7 Posted by MeanQuestion (4456 posts) -
I'm pretty sure what you look at doesn't impact how bloodshot your eyes are. Lower level stuff like allergies, rubbing your eyes with moisturized hands, and how much sleep you get are to blame.
#8 Posted by Darthric (1301 posts) -

I'm pretty sure what you look at doesn't impact how bloodshot your eyes are. Lower level stuff like allergies, rubbing your eyes with moisturized hands, and how much sleep you get are to blame. MeanQuestion

Hmm, it only seems to happen when i play certain games though, and they get better pretty quick after i stop.

#9 Posted by jasperrussell (1960 posts) -
RTS games like CoH and DoW give me blood shot eyes. I think I concentrate a lot more in these types of games and I forget to blink or don't blink enough, maybe causing my eyes to dry out more (just a theory). You might also be playing lat at night when your eyes are tireder. There's no permanent damage from bloodshot eyes caused by video games - my vision at age 36 is still 20/20.
#10 Posted by MeanQuestion (4456 posts) -

[QUOTE="MeanQuestion"]I'm pretty sure what you look at doesn't impact how bloodshot your eyes are. Lower level stuff like allergies, rubbing your eyes with moisturized hands, and how much sleep you get are to blame. Darthric

Hmm, it only seems to happen when i play certain games though, and they get better pretty quick after i stop.

Image processing doesn't happen until the data reaches the visual cortex, which is in the brain and functions pretty independently of the eyes themselves. I think saying your eyes get bloodshot based on what you are looking at is like saying your mouseball gets sticky based on what you are clicking on, on the screen -- but I'm no expert, I'm just making broad generalization based on what I learned from one class I took in computational neuroscience.

What could make sense is that you are focusing so hard on the game that you aren't blinking enough.

#11 Posted by WSGRandomPerson (13693 posts) -
The only time i get blood shot eyes is when i throw up..
#12 Posted by fuboy1986 (1 posts) -

I know this is forum is pretty much dead (x2 years now) but I've had this same problem. I play MGS4 and it does it to me in an hour or so. Really bothersome.

Anyway, if this still is a problem, here's the pathway: increased focus on the screen --> less blinking --> eyes get unusually dry --> arteries on the surface get irritated and enlarge causeing red eyes.

For some people, having more background lights on helps (decreases fixation on the TV), but most important is to make sure you're keeping your eyes hydrated. Drops might help, but make sure you keep blinking. If you really wanted to go all out, you could probably invest in a humidifier or make sure you're really well hydrated while gaming (a little over the top, i know). Hope that helps.

http://www.eyecaresource.com/conditions/dry-eyes/

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003031.htm

#13 Posted by Immortalica (6309 posts) -
You're probably paying a lot of attention to the game and forgetting to blink. I do that sometimes. But my eyes only get bad when I'm really lit. I suggest eye drops.
#14 Posted by -Fromage- (10506 posts) -
lol yeah, this is a real problem 2 years after it was first posted.