Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by indzman (16950 posts) -

Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan, who is better director OT ? Ummm Nolan rocked at Batman trilogy but each and every of his other movies as memento, inception fall flat compared to Quentin Tarantino's Inglorious Bastards, Django Unchained. I'm not even mentioning pulp fiction,reservoir dogs or kill bill :P. I'll go with Quentin Tarantino.

who you prefer OT ?

#2 Posted by SaintLeonidas (25910 posts) -

Tarantino has made the better films of the two, but in regards to their entire filmography as a whole, I think Nolan's is stronger.

#3 Posted by Aljosa23 (24612 posts) -

I like Tarantino more. Way more consistent and his highs are higher than Nolan's. I don't even think QT has made an actual "bad" film.

#4 Edited by Master_Live (14026 posts) -

Nolan.

#5 Posted by bob_toeback (11267 posts) -

I don't really 'like' either... I appreciate Tarantino more, and certainly more than I used to. Maybe that's a lie, I guess I do like Tarantino, but the thing is, there are just so many other film-makers I prefer more *shrug*

#6 Posted by chessmaster1989 (29079 posts) -

Tarantino definitely

#7 Posted by destroyerman455 (112 posts) -

I like both of these directors but I kinda don't see them as that easily comparable. Both have their own unique styles, especially Tarantino, so comparing him alone to anyone else is difficult.

But if I had to pick the best out of the two in my own opinion, probably Nolan due to his overall filmography.

They both have their own strong points and are amazing directors, but like I said, comparing them is a challenge.

#8 Edited by lamprey263 (22823 posts) -

Nolan's first two Batman films were good, the last one sucked though. People only pretend it's good because it would be a bigger shame if all those people got shot at a shitty film.

I like Tarantino a lot more.

#9 Posted by xdude85 (4329 posts) -

Tarantino, because he actually makes movies I want to see again.

#10 Posted by MrGeezer (56042 posts) -

I actually like both of them quite a bit, but I've gotta easily go with Tarantino.

And that's without even seeing his recent movies. Last Tarantino movie I watched was Kill Bill, which I thought was mostly self-indulgent crap that just happened to be pretty fun. I know that Basterds and Django have been really critically acclaimed, but I just could never get around to watching them due to my recent distaste for that whole "revenge fantasy" thing. But that's probably less Tarantino's fault than it is the fault of the marketing. Basterds trailers played up the "killing Nazis" angle, Django trailers played to the "killing slave owners angle", and I just don't want to see that presented in a glorified manner. Despite these movies garnering HUGE critical acclaim, I'm just not at a point where that kind of thing appeals to me. I'm sure they're great movies, though.

But yeah, even without seeing his two most recent masterpieces, I'd still EASILY place Tarantino over Nolan.

#11 Posted by indzman (16950 posts) -

@MrGeezer said:

I actually like both of them quite a bit, but I've gotta easily go with Tarantino.

And that's without even seeing his recent movies. Last Tarantino movie I watched was Kill Bill, which I thought was mostly self-indulgent crap that just happened to be pretty fun. I know that Basterds and Django have been really critically acclaimed, but I just could never get around to watching them due to my recent distaste for that whole "revenge fantasy" thing. But that's probably less Tarantino's fault than it is the fault of the marketing. Basterds trailers played up the "killing Nazis" angle, Django trailers played to the "killing slave owners angle", and I just don't want to see that presented in a glorified manner. Despite these movies garnering HUGE critical acclaim, I'm just not at a point where that kind of thing appeals to me. I'm sure they're great movies, though.

But yeah, even without seeing his two most recent masterpieces, I'd still EASILY place Tarantino over Nolan.

omg, since you tarantino fan you need to check out bastards and unchained asap, i really mean asap =P

#12 Posted by chaplainDMK (6677 posts) -

Memento is a masterpiece, Nolan's Batman trilogy are by far the best superhero movies I've ever seen and Inception is pretty well rated even though I havne't watched it.

While I adore basically everything Tarantino put out, so by sheer strength of numbers, Tarantino

#13 Posted by The-Apostle (12144 posts) -

I'm not sure if Memento was good or bad because it's the only movie I've ever seen that put me to sleep. I've tried watching it a few times but can't seem to stay awake. I liked the Batman trilogy though.

I saw Inglorious Basterds once, and I didn't thing it was that great, but I also didn't think it was terrible. Don't know much about QT other than that, so I'll just say Nolan.

#14 Edited by GreySeal9 (24010 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Nolan's first two Batman films were good, the last one sucked though. People only pretend it's good because it would be a bigger shame if all those people got shot at a shitty film.

I like Tarantino a lot more.

Very stupid joke.

#15 Posted by sukraj (21902 posts) -

QT

#16 Posted by PernicioEnigma (5271 posts) -

I find Christopher Nolan's films unwatchable, so Tarantino wins by default.

Though I did think Django Unchained was kinda sh*t.

#17 Posted by ShadowsDemon (10124 posts) -

It's close, but nothing Nolan has made has ever bored or annoyed me. Tarantino has.

#18 Posted by AvatarMan96 (7323 posts) -

Haven't seen enough of QT's filmography to properly judge, but Nolan hasn't missed yet. If I were to take an average score from the Nolan movies I've seen (the three Batman movies and Inception), it'd be a 9.75/10. I'm sure QT will put up a good fight once I see more of his movies, like Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs

#19 Posted by Truf89 (4668 posts) -

Tarantino. His movies are a lot of fun to watch. Nolan is good too. Love his films as well.

#20 Posted by sammyjenkis898 (28011 posts) -

Both are past their prime. Tarantino's best (Jackie Brown) is better than Nolan's best (Memento), so..

#21 Posted by hippiesanta (9767 posts) -

I like both .... but sometimes to much comedy in tarantino make the movie seems unrealistic

#22 Edited by SheBites (35 posts) -

Tarantino... Loved the Kill Bill movies

#23 Posted by Braun_Roid_Rage (716 posts) -

@Aljosa23 said:

I like Tarantino more. Way more consistent and his highs are higher than Nolan's. I don't even think QT has made an actual "bad" film.

#24 Posted by Master_Live (14026 posts) -

Both are past their prime. Tarantino's best (Jackie Brown) is better than Nolan's best (Memento), so..

You heard it here first. Nolan made a short film and then peaked with his first featured film Memento (2000). All down hill from there.

#25 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6727 posts) -

Both are great directors but I like Tarantino more.

#26 Posted by DanishSnow (67 posts) -

Quentin Tarantino by far.

#27 Posted by The_Gaming_Baby (6335 posts) -

Tarantino. No contest

#28 Edited by BranKetra (47879 posts) -

I am going to go with Christopher Nolan because I have had enough of hearing the n-word in the majority of Tarantino's films I have watched.

#29 Posted by Yoweeh (3025 posts) -

Tarantino all the way.

#30 Posted by jim_shorts (7320 posts) -

They're both quality directors but I prefer Nolan. He's more consistent. Tarantino has made some stinkers (Kill Bill comes to mind).

#31 Posted by one_plum (6331 posts) -

Apples and oranges imo

#32 Posted by Praisedasun (444 posts) -

I have only seen one Tarantino movie,kill bill.

Which,in my opinion,was a piece of garbage.It was mildly funny,but everything else about the movie sucked.

So Nolan wins.

#33 Posted by mjorh (662 posts) -

It depends on ur taste n what kinda movies u like , both are outstanding directors n i'd personally go with Nolan.

Nolan : The Dark Knight , Inception

Tarantino : Pulp Fiction , Inglorious Bastards.

#34 Edited by SirSlimyScott (266 posts) -
#35 Edited by DharmaMember77 (2377 posts) -

I got into both directors at a young age and Pulp Fiction affected me alot more than Memento did so I'll go with QT.

#36 Edited by Sparty_basic (496 posts) -

Apples and Oranges...you would choose whichever director makes the style of movie that appeals to you more. So it's not a debate as to the better director, it's a debate as to the personal appeal of either director.

That being said, Nolan for me. The entire filmography appeals to me more than Tarantino. I enjoy them both very much, however, so it's a win-win situation.

#37 Posted by Serraph105 (27747 posts) -

Nolan, I still find Tarentino movies to be very overrated. Very much style over substance with Tarentino.

#38 Posted by Serraph105 (27747 posts) -

To follow up on my previous statement about Tarentino movies, if a character dies in a Tarentino movie I rarely, if ever, have an emotional reaction towards it.