Psychological differences between Liberals&Conservatives????

This topic is locked from further discussion.

KHAndAnime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151  Edited By KHAndAnime
Member since 2009 • 17565 Posts

@Gaming-Planet said:

It's to gain an identity in society, to have a common opinion with other folks. Some people take it way too serious, we have the idiotic conservatives in the south and we have the idiotic liberals in California.

I think this is a good point too. Politics is the last place in Earth where people should group up and hivemind just because they want to be a part of something, yet politics is where this happens the most. That's why I think more or less, the idea of democracy at its very core is ineffective, dumb, etc. Not just that, but the concept is a bit of a lie all in itself - it's purely built on the idea of giving people the illusion of choice, and making people feel they have an important opinion. The reality is that government decisions are made by elite groups, and those elite groups have been and always will remain the same families and groups of higher-classed citizens. Society is too busy being at odds with itself to make any sort of meaningful progress. We have people pushing political decisions based on scripture written thousands of years ago, and not just the minority, but a majority. It's one big giant shit-show.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#152 Xeno_ghost
Member since 2014 • 990 Posts

@thegerg: "I'm just trying to understand your thought process"

Yeh ok with this question maybe;

"I'm also still interested in why you feel that gay people should be disallowed to marry in a church"

But this next question has no relevance as to which side I'm on, it's just a challenging statement which is why I didn't want to get into a discussion about it.

"and how such a ban would even be enforced"

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#154  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: Jeese!! Don't you get bored? We are just going round and round in circles I'm done with this discussion.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156 Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: "Then try to add something to it rather than telling me the same thing time and time again, and misrepresenting my beliefs"

Really? Are you still not over that? Listen, be the bigger person and don't reply.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: "Makes numerous posts misrepresenting someone else's belief"

"Gets called out on it"

"Tells others not to post about it"

"Why do you have more of a problem with honesty than with lies"

This is how you try to have a conversation? Just give it a rest gerg ok you win your right I'm wrong I have had enough of giving your sad little life a little bit of meaning. **** the hell off.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: i explained why I misinterpreted your comments and I'm sorry ok I'm a dumb **** ok just ignore me in future.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: It's only you I have trouble with and a number of other people seem to have issue with you also.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 BSC14
Member since 2002 • 4187 Posts

@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

@thegerg: " I'm also still interested in why you feel that gay people should be disallowed to marry in a church, and how such a ban would even be enforced."

This sounds like a very challenging question to me, how is me telling you how I think such a ban would be inforced going to help you judge wether I am conservative or liberal?

I'm just trying to understand your thought process. Anyway, who do you feel that gay people should be disallowed to marry in a church?

It depends on the type of Church.

Gay marriage has no place in Christian Churches imo. I personally would never attend a Church that supported gay marriage.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 BSC14

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

@thegerg: " I'm also still interested in why you feel that gay people should be disallowed to marry in a church, and how such a ban would even be enforced."

This sounds like a very challenging question to me, how is me telling you how I think such a ban would be inforced going to help you judge wether I am conservative or liberal?

I'm just trying to understand your thought process. Anyway, who do you feel that gay people should be disallowed to marry in a church?

Gay marriage has no place in Christian Churches imo. I personally would never attend a Church that supported gay marriage.

"I personally would never attend a Church that supported gay marriage."

OK. That's hardly good reason to ban churches from performing gay marriages.

Because it's not supported in the Bible, not because I'm some kind of hater. I just prefer to go to a church that sticks to the Bible.

jasean79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By jasean79
Member since 2005 • 2593 Posts

@BSC14: Gay marriage has no place in Christian Churches imo. I personally would never attend a Church that supported gay marriage.

Give it time, my friend. That will be the last stop on the "LGBT Equal Rights" train.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#169  Edited By BSC14

@jasean79 said:

@BSC14: Gay marriage has no place in Christian Churches imo. I personally would never attend a Church that supported gay marriage.

Give it time, my friend. That will be the last stop on the "LGBT Equal Rights" train.

I know but there will be the Churches that stand strong.

I just wonder how long it will be before some group comes out with a edited Bible that takes out everything negative about homosexuality.

CrillanK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#171 CrillanK
Member since 2008 • 272 Posts

To answer the OP's initial question of "can you be both"? The answer is of course. You can have both liberal and conservative opinions. For example, you can be pro-life(conservative) and still be for marriage equality(liberal). It's when people start to be completely partisan(all one way or all the other way) that causes problems. If you're completely conservative for the sake of staying within the bounds of the Republican platform, that's completely ridiculous. Same for liberals/Democrats. I believe most people actually fall in the middle somewhere rather than being far left or far right. When we start following the loud minority of crazy people, we start heading down a really bad path.

The most important part of politics is being able to compromise and that concept seems to have been lost on so many people these days, especially congress. This plays an important part in how you should vote as well. You look at all of the issues you care about, pay attention to each candidate's opinion on those issues, and vote for the person you think will make the most changes in your favor. This doesn't mean always vote Democrat or always vote Republican.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172 BSC14

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@jasean79 said:

I just wonder how long it will be before some group comes out with a edited Bible that takes out everything negative about homosexuality.

I've kind of been curious about that topic. What negative stuff, exactly, does the Bible say about homosexuality.

You don't need me to give you a Bible lesson. It would be easy enough to google it but I'm guessing you're trying to lead me to some kind of debate about a particular passage.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174 BSC14

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@jasean79 said:

I've kind of been curious about that topic. What negative stuff, exactly, does the Bible say about homosexuality.

You don't need me to give you a Bible lesson. It would be easy enough to google it but I'm guessing you're trying to lead me to some kind of debate about a particular passage.

Unable to support your claims...sad...

If you are indeed curious, which I know you're probably not, here is a link that I pulled up in 5 seconds...you can start there.

http://www.openbible.info/topics/homosexuality

gamerguru100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#175 gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

LMAO, I know I've wasted time arguing with thegerg before, but damn, Xeno_ghost must have a PhD in patience to blow God knows how much time attempting to argue with thegerg; you're better off arguing with a brick wall, honestly.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#176  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: @thegerg: "My posts could not have been more clear. It's really kind of sad that you have such trouble with simple statements"

You think that's sad? I'll tell you what's sad your life.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#177  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

Because it's not supported in the Bible, not because I'm some kind of hater. I just prefer to go to a church that sticks to the Bible.

You're more than free to go to any church that you wish. I'm just curious as to why he (or anyone else) thinks that gay people should not be allowed to be married in a church. If the people getting married and the people of the church agree, why should they not be allowed to be married?

It's telling that he's avoiding answering this question.

As you said, he's free to go to whatever church he wants to, but there's no justification to force other churches to conform to his beliefs.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#178 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@jasean79 said:

That would definitely improve it.

BSC14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179 BSC14

@GreySeal9 said:

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@thegerg said:

@BSC14 said:

@thegerg said:

@xeno_ghost said:

You're more than free to go to any church that you wish. I'm just curious as to why he (or anyone else) thinks that gay people should not be allowed to be married in a church. If the people getting married and the people of the church agree, why should they not be allowed to be married?

As you said, he's free to go to whatever church he wants to, but there's no justification to force other churches to conform to his beliefs.

Not avoiding anything. If a church married a gay couple they would be going against what the Bible says....this is no Christian church imo so I don't care what they do. I think they are a disgrace and the marriage is a farce but knock yourself out.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@thegerg said:

@always_explicit said:

@xeno_ghost said:

@SUD123456: "You two are killing me"

Lol!! :)

I only took issue with thegerg because he said it's tradition that states have not interfered with who can and can't get married, when in fact it has been a tradition of States to prohibit gay marriage. Only recently have gay marriage become more and more accepted.

There is honestly no point getting tied up in a back and forth with him, his only conversational skill is arguing semantics, which he does under the misguided belief it adds weight to his argument. It just shows a lack of basic comprehension.

Whilst other users show the ability to fill in the gaps in another posters knowledge and understand their views by "filling in" that missing/mistranslated information. The Gerg feels the need to expose those gaps for whatever reason. I find the real skill in conversation is being tolerant and demonstrating your ability to understand and comprehend..."read between the lines" so to speak. The gerg isnt a conversationalist. The gerg is pseudo intellectual. The sooner people on the board learn to ignore him the sooner he will go away.

Maybe you need to go back and read the thread. My conversation with Xeno has nothing to do with semantics. Cut the bullshit, it makes you look like a fool. Stick to reality.

I did read it. I made the comment based on the conversation I read.

So yeah....jog on.

Avatar image for always_explicit
always_explicit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#181 always_explicit
Member since 2007 • 3379 Posts

@jasean79 said:

@always_explicit said:

@xeno_ghost said:

@SUD123456: "You two are killing me"

Lol!! :)

I only took issue with thegerg because he said it's tradition that states have not interfered with who can and can't get married, when in fact it has been a tradition of States to prohibit gay marriage. Only recently have gay marriage become more and more accepted.

There is honestly no point getting tied up in a back and forth with him, his only conversational skill is arguing semantics, which he does under the misguided belief it adds weight to his argument. It just shows a lack of basic comprehension.

Whilst other users show the ability to fill in the gaps in another posters knowledge and understand their views by "filling in" that missing/mistranslated information. The Gerg feels the need to expose those gaps for whatever reason. I find the real skill in conversation is being tolerant and demonstrating your ability to understand and comprehend..."read between the lines" so to speak. The gerg isnt a conversationalist. The gerg is pseudo intellectual. The sooner people on the board learn to ignore him the sooner he will go away.

I disagree. While, yes, thegerg can be a royal pain in the arse sometimes, he certainly does not lack "basic comprehension". He just has a different way of approaching it.

Okay replace the word comprehension with "perception" and thats absolutely what he lacks, and it shouldnt be something that derails topics.

We all understand what is being said. We dont need people here calling others out because one poster cannot read between the lines. An interesting conversation topic has turned into a pointless conversation about the minor differences between two guns.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

@BSC14 said:

@GreySeal9 said:

Not avoiding anything. If a church married a gay couple they would be going against what the Bible says....this is no Christian church imo so I don't care what they do. I think they are a disgrace and the marriage is a farce but knock yourself out.

The same argument was made in support of banning interracial marriage.

JimB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#186 JimB
Member since 2002 • 3862 Posts

@Jankarcop: Blue states are the most u happy and have the highest taxes and most poverty.

Strakha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By Strakha
Member since 2003 • 1824 Posts

I used to be a liberal in my 20s but now many of my views are outdated and I would probably be considered a conservative. There has been no real change in my psychology or views but times change and if you don't change with them you eventually end up a conservative.

SUD123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188 SUD123456
Member since 2007 • 6949 Posts

@magicalclick said:

I am gay and I am pro choice. I pro choice to own a gun. I pro choice to get abortion. I pro choice to peaceful death when in vegetated state or terminally ill. I pro choice to get marijuana (I heard it is not as bad as cig and alcohol anyway, I choose not to participate though, it is expensive), I pro choice to buy a big cup of soda, I pro choice in gay marriage.

And here comes the part you don't want to hear. I pro Church to have the choice to not perform marriage ceremony on gay couple. It is their right and their choice to perform marriage ceremony on whomever they feel like to. Marriage ceremony does not have any impact on tax, job opportunity, social status, and benefits. Marriage ceremony is completely optional by the private parties. Sure it would be nice to have the ceremony for fun, but, that's not required. I can easily get marriage and do the similar ceremony, just it wouldn't be a priest, it will be a cute handsome looking guy doing random blessing on me. I don't need a priest to bestow God's blessing on to me. I consider church as private club. They can deny membership all they like. I simply will just create my own religion, which I already did.

I actually don't get why it is such a big deal. We can create our own religion like Mormon. No need to force the existing religion to be something they are not ready to commit. Church should have the choice to support gay marriage when they are ready. In the meantime, just create our own religion and have our own religious fun marriage ceremony party. It is all about having fun and have people party and such. No need to get so serious about getting blessing on a very specific religion, just unnecessary.

I am pro choice.

I am not aware of anyone arguing to force any church or denomination to perform marriages for gay couples. As you say, they are private institutions.

I am aware that once the State sanctions gay marriage some pre-existing religious institutions start to debate the matter internally and some of those have decided on their own to allow gay marriages.

An example of this is the United Church of Canada which is the largest protestant sect in the country and which is very liberal including gay marriage. After considerable internal discussion the church decided it was gay friendly, but would leave it up to individual parishes to decide whether to allow their particular building to be used.

I am not aware of any examples of trying to force an individual religious sect to perform gay marriages, although this often raised by religious conservatives as a red herring.

Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts

liberals want to waste public funds to improve public restrooms and interstate rest areas while conservatives just want to use them to have secret gay sex in.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@Riverwolf007: Lol love it!!

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#191  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@-Sun_Tzu- said:

I remember reading about some study that was done awhile ago that conservatives have a higher tendency to rationalize than liberals do and as a result are happier on average.

i doubt that. There was a study here made on conservatives, and they are usually less educated and more happy. But that's just here

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

@magicalclick: who's talking about forcing church's to marry people?

They are fee to do whatever and the fight for gay marriage doesn't want to change that.

dave123321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195 dave123321
Member since 2003 • 35553 Posts

And church's that decide to marry gay people shouldn't be shunned by people who don't agree with them.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg: bloody hell you are still going on about that, I do love our little chats but I don't want to get into another back and fourth with you on this matter.

Xeno_ghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Xeno_ghost

@thegerg:

"Yes I'm still asking you to explain a strange statement that you posted. That's how people communicate"

I'll tell you what's strange, that you think to communicate with some one is to badger them endlessly till you hear what you want to hear. I've told you numerous times now I don't want to discuss this matter with you.

I'm sorry you feel so hard done by that I won't discuss it with you, feel free to not discuss your views with me ever again if you like.

You have already called it a strange view so I can tell you are in gerg mode on my opinion already, and you are obviously not interested in seeing if I'm lib or con.

Now I when I was asked to post my views to find out wether I was lib or con, I stated that I was reluctant because I didn't want to turn this thread into a debate of my views directly, if you want to debate wether my views are con or lib I would gladly do that, but that's not what you want, you just want to challenge my view and debate the fact that you think it's wrong or it has no bearing or it's "strange" so that's why I won't get into it with you on this matter.